Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016
Green with silver glitter = 2017 - New Label

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Ratings: 4,282 |  Reviews: 1,287

Another one of those beers from Three Floyd's "It's not normal", well when I heard about this 13% Imperial Russian Stout I thought to myself that's not normal. Well, here we are about to break through the layer of red triple dipped wax to break the seal of the beastly brew. The bottle depicts in comic book fashion a demon possessed viking crushing skulls and what not, but either way I'm guessing he's the Dark Lord. Let's see what he has to offer my senses. Appearance on this one goes as follows, in the pour this maybe the thickest textured brew I have ever poured the addition of molasses may have something to do with that. Color spectrum yep it's dark simply engulfs all visible light waves leaves behind a resilient line of thin moccha tan head that with my first sip starts to leave trickles of lace. Aromatics contained in this nectar are deep thunderous colliding waves dark chocolate, wine like fruit notes arising from the trenches of this beer, along with an espresso barrel aged like finish hop presence is evident and as it warms this is even more so for 13%abv it's not burning any nose hairs, which is a good thing. If nothing else about this beer grabs ahold of you, the flavor is sure to. Massive unparalleled possibly brings another style about redefining the Imperial Stout category for me, brings huge staggering amount of slightly burnt dark roasted malts to the palate the molasses is evident with alcohol infused fruit namingly tart cherry notes screaming out while blending perfectly in this orgy of flavor. A definite strong coffe presence is welcoming and eye opening at the same time, just burped up a load of hops bringing about another wonderful aspect of this beer. Three Floyd's have done it again the Dreadnaught stands as my favorite Imperial IPA this may just take the throne as my all time favorite Imperial Stout. Mouthfeel is chewy yes a beer can be chewy, don't believe me try this one it says it all. Once again the molasses takes the reigns adding to this full bodied beers complexity on the palate tame carbonation wouldn't want it any other way, after pouring in the final yeast sediment from the bottle the texture becomes thicker which is hard to believe. Drinkability couldn't believe that a beer this massive could be so tasty and drinkable in a 22 ounce portion, I don't know what has me completely sold on this beer but it's amazing. Complex as all hell with a huge mouthfeel, aromatics are mesmorizing, and the taste is orchestrated to perfection. Believe the hype this brew will humble you to the Dark Lord the true master of this style, the 3F's have pushed the envelope and succeeded once again I smell a victory.

This beer pours a black so dark that I think it actually makes the room a little darker. It pours as thick as motor oil. The head is very dark brown. The head is very thick and creamy looking. It fades very slowly. I have been looking at it for about 5 minutes, and it still has almost the same amount of head as when I first filled the glass. It leaves laces so thick, I can not see through them. This beer smells strongly of alcohol. After the wave of alcohol, coffee aroma is present. It also smells strongly of roasted malts. Hints of chocolate are also present. As for hops, there is a slight aroma, but it is almost totally masked by stronger aromas. The first sip of this beer makes all the work, and expense I went to trying to get it all worth while. It tastes very strongly of coffee and chocolate. It is quite bitter, but very well balanced. It is very malty. The alcohol tates is a little harder to make out, but it warms my throat as it goes down. This beer is very thick and creamy. It is a very full bodied beer. It sits heavy on the palate, leaving a coffeelike aftertaste. Due to the rather high alcohol content, and the very aggressive flavor, this beer might not be the best session beer for some. I personally think I could drink it all night, or at least untill the alcohol got to me. I think this beer is amazing. I wish it was not so hard to come by. I would like to thank both goodbyeohio, and mentor for supplying me with this great beer. In a few months I will drink my other bottle and compare it. I just hope I can wait that long.

Thanks a million to mynie for this trade
Tasted on 5/11 with three friends and neighbors
Well I finally found my perfect 5. This beer was incredible, and I thought it lived up to all the hype surrounding it. I have been reading that the 07 has too much sediment and you don't get a full beer, but my bottle was perfectly fine. This stuff is so viscous it is nuts. I wanted to really savor the bottle, but everyone wanted another sip right away so the glass only lasted about 15 minutes. Amazing. My roommate and I giggled like little girls the whole time we were drinking.

Awesome beer

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.