Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016
Green with silver glitter = 2017 - New Label

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Ratings: 4,282 |  Reviews: 1,287

I have never rated a beer so highly. The hype that surrounds it is dead on, my friends. It is New Years Eve, 2009 and I am sipping from a 2008 DL whilest enjoying a roaring fire in my living room in snowy New England. It doesnt get any better than this. The brew: pours thick, oily and dark into my stemmed Leffe Goblet. Having a weak sniffer, I need a big nose (no pun intended) to know i've got something special and I'm so not dissapointed. Dark fruit, raisens, prunes, currents, heavy dark chocolate and molasses all explode from the glass. Deep, dark chocolate, and maybe a hint of coffee with dark molasses sugar. As goes the nose, so goes the taste. Massive and complex, the dark fruit and chocolate bursts all over the pallate and the tongue is coated like heavy maple syrup, only balanced and sweet. This legendary brew boasts complexity like a super computer, yet is so smooth and pleasant to drink. No hop bitterness nor should any be expected, but the alcohol slowly navagates its way past your tongue and down, down, down in a warming yet very evident way. Very viscous and chewy, the mouthfeel is so very warm and inviting. Everything about this brew is warming. I am so fortunate to enjoy something this special in such a special setting. Believe what you've read, and get your hands on DL someday. Cheers everyone and Happy New Year!

A group of friends and I enjoyed a Dark Lord vertical, 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2012 on 1/13/13. I have had the 2012 multiple times from Dark Lord Day and this beer has definitely changed in just a years time but age does some serious delicious things to this beer. Each bottle was poured into taster glass and sips of each were taking going down the line. The sweetness assoc with DL was more apparent as you moved from 2005 to the 2012.

Some my think that 2005 is too long to let this beer age but I don't think so. All the sweetness was all gone. The beer had very subtle but complex flavors. Def large hints of oak and slightly more acidic. Often I would come back to this and taste something new hence why I said the very subtle nature of this 7.5 year old DL. Then moving to the 2007 and 2010... What can I say but these beers were an amazing example of a RIS. The last time I had the 2012 was in Nov and in 2 months this beer has changed for the better. Slightly more mellowed sweetness and the other flavors shine a lot more.

Overall: One heck of an evening and was so glad to be apart of this opportunity. After tasting this broad spectrum of DL I would say the def spot for this beer is 2-4 years of aging. The sweetness dies out some and takes a back burner and lets the complexity of tastes shine even more.

2010 Dark Lord - Three Floyds
Russian Imperial Stout
15% ABV

APPEARANCE: Poured a devilish black oil slick color. My snifter produced little to no head, the teku pour produced a small khaki colored head that settled into a nice halo that has stuck around. Spotted lacing, that is slow dancing down the glass.

AROMA: Instantly hit with black licorice and molasses. Reminiscent of Bourbon County Brand Stout on the bouquet. Smells of rich dark chocolates and deep dark fruits, currants, plums and ripe plump raisins. Faint aroma of coffee beans hiding under the layers. Smells sweet and boozy at the same time, such an inviting aroma.

TASTE: I just made a deal with the devil, sold my soul for a bottle of beer! Amazing, chocolate covered cherries, floating on a bed of sweet malts. Intense flourishes of burnt caramelized fruits with a toasted nuttiness. The chocolate and sweetness gives way to nice warming alcohol heat that finishes with a nice port wine like flavors. If I had this in a blind taste, I would bet the house this was a barrel aged beer. I'm a huge fan of vanilla and this delivers an immense slap to the taste buds of Madagascar vanilla beans. Delicious!

MOUTHFEEL: For a hard pour that produced almost no head I was expecting a almost lazy flat beer. I was wrong. Prickly hidden carbonation that expands into a wonderful creaminess with each sip. Nice burn from the high ABV with a dry lingering finish that leaves the flavors hanging around for an eternity in my mouth.

OVERALL: As far as a Russian Imperial Stout goes, this gargantuan beer is the best I've had to date. The layers upon layers on both nose and pallet seem to be ever evolving. The sweetness is forefront without being cloying, the alcohol is present without being overbearing. All around an amazing beer for the style and amazing beer in general. The Dark Lord has risen!

RATING: 5/5 Zombie Heads!

What the hell can I say about this magnificent creation that has not already been said? This was to be my 6000th beer, but I decided to take it to Papago and as we often bring special beers to sample, this was my choice.

The beer as it slowly oozes out of the 22-ounce brown bottle pours as thick as molasses in January in Maine, it literally makes a glugging sound as it excavates itself from its container. Onyx in color, the head a deep chocolate brown that is creamy as whipped chocolate icing and portly in size, the lace a coat of brown to obscure the glass. Nose is rich bittersweet chocolate, burnt coffee, sweet malt, a treat for both the olfactory and ocular senses, a beer you must sniff to understand its complexity, start is thick and chewy, ambrosial and the top as full as any beer I have ever tasted. Finish is pleasing in its acidity; hops are powerful in their spiciness, the alcohol quite noticeable and the rich sweet chocolate and burnt coffee flavors continue to the parched desert dry aftertaste a quite noticeable tummy warming sensation. “Just one fantastic beer”, but a word of warning not meant for the weak of palate or people not into strong over the top beers, so if you fall into these categories and you have a “Dark Lord” sitting around, send it to me immediately if not sooner. lol

2015 version, and if I could rate higher than 5 I would. This was an emotional experience it was so good.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.