Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Reviews: 1,263 | Ratings: 4,152
4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

My sister picked one up for me at Dark Lord day this year. Thanks, sis! I'd been sitting on it for a couple of months now, waiting to share it with a beer geek buddy of mine before he moved away to Seattle. So he and his wife had some folks over to there place this past saturday, and we cracked it open then. What a great going-away present for both of us.

Honestly, this beer, by appearance alone, scared the crap out of me. It pours a a pitch black color with (and I'm serious here) motor oil consistency. Not kidding. It says so on the label, and it's not a joke. It has a dark brown fizzy head as well that's almost non-existent. The thing that freaked me out, though, was the dark oily film that they beer leaves on the glass as it recedes. This is a serious freakin' beer.

The nose is sweet, with burnt chocolate, raisins, smoky bananas, fig preserve, molasses, vanilla, and some other fruits. It's all over the place, and I honestly don't think any written review could ever do it justice. The taste is sweet as well, with more of the same: vanilla, slight molasses, strong dark cherry, fig, raisins, dark baking chocolate, and a nice coffee bitterness. The mouthfeel is syrupy but smooth. Chewy. A lip-smacker, for sure.

The Dark Lord is better as it warms up to room temperature. It's a heavy, heavy beer - perhaps the heaviest I've ever had - and is not designed for casual consumption. It's the perfect beer for a time of celebration. Like New Year's Eve. Or when your buddy moves to Seattle. It's definitely something you want to seek out and try at least once in your life. It's well worth traveling long distances to try.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Bought two at my local liquor store. They are 6 months old now, so I'm sure they smoothed out a bit. Though, I'm storing the other one for another year.

It pours pure black with an average sized chocolate brown head with an aggressive pour.

It smells of coffee/espresso with a touch of alcohol.

Starts of very smooth, with a good amount of slightly burnt coffee, but ends with a sugary like sweetness. The mouthfeel is very syrupy and thick. Like drinking a bottle of Ms. Butterworths.

The drinkability is above average, because it's a very great tasting beer, but it is far and away a session beer lol. It's sometimes hard to swallow because how malty and thick it is. It likes drinking a meal. This beer is not for the impatient, your going to have to dedicate some time with this beer. It's a very slow going experience.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

2007

App: Pours inky black dark caramel colored head. Carbonation is evident along sides of glass.

Smell: Coffee, caramel, chocolate, smoke...the flavors come on in that order with bigger flavors as the bottle warmed.

Taste: Coffee and toffee with a bit of bitterness to remind you that a beast lives in this bottle.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with a nice bitterness and noticable alcohol

Drinkability: Well...if you can have enough onhand to drink regularly then you are lucky. This is a once in awhile beer with its alcohol and dense coffee flavors, but it is also a real treat. Get one if you can!

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Drank from a 1 pt. 6 fl. oz./22 fl. oz. bottle
2007 vintage (silver wax top)
Acquired in a trade with Photekut

I decided to save review #250 for the most coveted American craft beer.

First off, I have to comment on the phenomenal bottle graphics. "Holy beer nerd" is all I need to say. Way to go Three Floyds on creating a bottle design that is almost as extreme as the beer itself.

As for the beer, it poured a super sludgy, absolute pitch black with a flimsy whisp of coffee-colored froth covering the liquid. When held up to the light, I could not detect any change in color, even at the fringes of the glass.

On the pour, I smelled an interesting mix of coffee, alcohol sweetness and some soy sauce. When I took a good whiff, I was somewhat disappointed with the aroma. Metallic and oxidative notes were quite apparent, as if the beer had been aged for five or more years. A hint of char was detectable as well.

The taste however was a completely different story. "Complex" does even begin to describe this gem. Deep, rich, burnt malts were most obvious along with molasses, brown sugar and raisins. As the beer warmed, vanilla and a bourbon-like quality were noticeable as well, along with a hint of oak. Dark, semi-sweet chocolate came through mid-palate along with notes of espresso, spice and maple syrup. Some minty hops appeared on the back end and lasted into the finish, but they definitely took a back seat to the robust maltiness. A whiskey-like alcohol warmth also came through in the finish. The alcohol became more pronounced as the beer warmed, turning slightly hot by the drink's end. The lingering aftertaste was a rich and sweet mix of brown sugar and molasses with a hint of vanilla.

The mouthfeel of this beauty was amazingly thick, dense and viscous. Upon first picking up my snifter, the mere 11 ounces of beer truly felt like a lead weight. On my tongue, the finely carbonated liquid seemed to mimic the silky consistency of heavy cream or even maple syrup. Toward the end of the drink, I noticed that the beer left a sweet, sticky film on my lips (and on the glass as well). Of all the beers I tried, none even came close to having such a lusciously heavy mouthfeel as this one.

Furthermore, at a whopping 13% ABV, I found this imperial stout to be ridiculously smooth and drinkable.

All in all, this beer was like no other that I have tried. Believe the hype and do anything you can to get your hands on a bottle of this liquid gold!

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2005 vintage

App: Pours an almost black body with a brown head. The lacing slips down the side in a beautiful cascade.

Smell: Coffee predominates with rich caramel and a buttery sweetness. There's also a hint of smoke which I can imagine being much prevelant in a fresh bottle.

Taste: Coffee again with dark chocolate and a rich buttery caramel. Similar to the aroma there is a smokey character. Not as complex as I was imagining, the coffee dominates leaving just a little room for the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with a bitter bite throughout and an alcoholic bite at the end. Slick and lasting.

Drinkability: The apparent alcohol and the intense bitterness without balance make it hard to get through. I think this guy is a little overhyped.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

2007 Vintage poured into a tulip.

Thick foaming dark brown head fills up the glass seemingly stays around, but before you know it it leaves forever. The smell is green, smell is high alcohol with roastiness and just a hint of dark fruit in the background. The mouthfeel is smooth, so silky smooth. The roasitness is met with a slight bitter cocoa nose that backs up the roastiness and lets it mellow slightly. The cocoa is chocolaty, but it's a really good bitter chocolate. Something I can find in good, good dark chocolate. It's definitely not as mellowed out yet, but still very very good. The dark fruit, like the ash taste comes out more and more with the bitter flavor ending on the tongue. Yet again, mouthfeel is great, silky smooth and wonderful. Overall, I wish I could have this at least once a week.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

so, what do you say? best of BA, second best as of today's look at the list, 260 reviews as of this writing, hard to get and a rabid following. Well first I'd say thanks to jaxon53 for this via trade. I've been thinking of this for some time and am happy to have finally found a trade that worked.

SO, all that being said does this live up to the hype? I would say yes. It's vinous, it's a medly of deep sweet malts, it's got nice notes of cherry, roasted grains, vanilla and sweet. It's different than other RISs I've had and it stands out to me for it's amazing drinkability for such a big beer.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

2007 vintage. Black as you can possibly get, Its carbonated but there is nothing noticeable on the surface. Deep aroma of dried fruit. Very inky and oily smelling-it even smells black! Huge roasted and malty flavor with a fair amount of bitterness. Dried fruit, plums and bitter chocolate all pour out into a perfect blend of flavor. Notes of oak and vanilla. The last sip from the bottle had a fantastic roasted and dark chocolate flavor unlike any I have ever had in a beer-same as I near the bottom of the glass from it warming and sitting. Fantastic body-seems well attenuated-not syrupy sweet or the proverbial treacle like. Fantastic beer-everything I hoped it would be after finally getting to try it-has an amazing drinkability for being as complex as it is. I am ready for another.

Thanks to popedx for what might be the best trade I have ever done.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with warriorsoul. Silver wax seal over cap, 2007 vintage. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into a big heavy glass chalice, formed a scant 1/8" of dark burnt brown head the opaque black brew. Head falls promptly down to a layer of tiny bubbles, with leggy liquid upon swirling, but little to no lacing. Aroma is burnt dark malts and potent alcohol, in about equal doses. Taste is rich chocolate and acrid coffee to starts, fruitiness in the middle that lingers, and then gives way to the alcohol character, which is remarkably built into the brew. The numbing of the tongue tells you that you drank something substantial, but the burn just isn't there. Nice. Mouthfeel is quite smooth for the stle and substance of this brew, and drinkability as to session is limited, but I certainly want to revisit this one sometime. Have to try to find one for the cellar.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Silver wax, 2007 version.

Pours out a very thick black color, but dark shades of red around the edges. Head is a creamy tan color, but did recede and leaves little to no lacing. Smell is of sweet caramel and molasses, cherry, alcohol, chocolate, and a little roastiness. Sweet malt and molasses, with a splash of hops, though they are fading, followed by port wine with a lingering soft roastiness. Vanilla seems to also join in the cornucopia of flavors, as well as others I'm sure I'm not able to name. Carbonation is very much on the low side; body is as thick as they come. I'd like to say it's overhyped, but it's just really everything I look for in an Imperial Stout. I had one bottle shortly after the release and it was pretty good, but age has already helped raise this one to elite status.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Enjoyed from a 22oz bomber. Didn't find any freshness info anywhere... I believe this is from 2005, obtained in a trade for some Andechs Doppelbock with AKSmokedPorter (RIP) at the BA American Beer Fest in June of that year. Waxing over the cap is shaded a light orange hue.

Dark Lord? Dark is right! Poured into my Rapscallion snifter, it was most definitely dark, like inky, North Sea crude. Held up to a nearby lamp, light still failed to penetrate. Black hole, eh? I'll call it deep, deep, dark brown, for shits and giggles. The head is a rich tan, initially about 1/3", slowly ebbing to a fine, thin layer which maintains itself enough to cover the bier for the duration. Lacing is solid, leaving attractive patterns down the glass. Aroma is replete with heavy coffee notes, some dark chocolate, and a lovely layer of dark fruit action. Has a little floral hop activity going on as well. Wow! What a smooth and creamy bier! Thick, full-bodied, chewy and satiny slick over the tongue. This is a top-shelf mouthfeel!

Flavor? Whoa! Espresso, roasty coffee, and more dark chocolate kick some serious ass. There's some "burnt" action going on here, too, and smidges of molasses. On a more subtle level, some currants, raisins and figs come into play. What a hell of mix! The palate doesn't know where to concentrate it's attention. Damn!! Hoppage is on a major-league floral level, and quite pronounced, lasting long and hard after the bier itself has hit the stomach. The lupulins also have an earthy lean to them and, did I mention, they really stick in the nooks and crannies of the mouth. There is a definite warm feeling in the belly, though it's not really representative of a 13% abv bier. Worth the wait? Damn straight! And the hype? Deserved, without a doubt. My apologies to those naysayers out there, but this is one fine, tasty bier.

One caveat, of course - I didn't pay $13-15 for it. As mentioned, it was the byproduct of an Andechs Doppelbock trade. Would I pay that kind of coin for it? Perhaps once in a while (when/if available). But not regularly; biers like Portsmouth Kate the Great or Smutty RIS are, dollar-for-dollar, far and away a better value. But that's not the point here, is it? Dark Lord tastes superb; it's a lovely bier.

Now, I know numbers are (mostly) irrelevant here. But they are fun to fuck around with now and then. That said, I'm glad I saved Dark Lord for my review #1000.

Thanks AK ;-)

Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.9
appearance: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Had the opportunity to worship at the altar of the "almighty lord" at the Indiana Brewers Guild beer festival - many thanks to FFF for sharing a keg of it with myself and other attendees this year.

Pours thick and black with a cocoa-colored head that lasts. Looks a bit like a black chocolate milkshake. Aroma has hints of caramel, coffee, and light roasted malt. The most striking thing for me is not the flavor but the mouthfeel. What cream is to milk, Dark Lord is to beer. Huge body, silky feel on the tongue, thick, creamy and sweet but well balanced. Hints of port wine, chocloate, and light roast.

Really looked for forward to trying this beer to see if it lived up to the hype. Mixed feelings after having had it. On one hand, not sure anything could ever really live up to the extraordinary levels this beer has commanded. On the other hand, it is a most excellent R.I.S. Anyone interested enough to be reading this knows already, so I won't bother to say it's worth seeking- you already know that...

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

2006 version, 22 oz. bomber. Big thanks to BA mcallister for sharing this one with me, and not waiting until my birthday to do so!

Pitch black in color. Nothing else. Seriously, this is a black hole of a beer, no edges, shades or hues of anything else, just black. Period. Great looking dark tan head. What a looker! Great contrast between the beer and the head. Head retention was ok, especially considering the size. A few spots of lace.

What a nose. Aromas practically leaping out of the snifter. Dark chocolate, fudge, espresso, dark fruits, black cherries, currants, mocha, the list seems to go on and on. I can't imagine a beer having a better nose than this. Alcohol is also present in the nose, particularly after it warms up a bit.

Taste starts out with a big chocolate, fudge flavor. Lots of dark fruit follow, then some espresso. The espresso or coffee flavor seems to linger on the palate the longest. Some warming alcohol present.

The impressive thing to me is that this drinks almost like a milkshake. So full, thick and creamy. Low carbonation. I thought that this really lives up to what everyone says. Such a thick, rich stout. Hard to imagine many beers being better.

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%

I was fortunate enough to score a bottle of this from BA Sephiroth. Ahhhh, thanks buddy. 2007 Vintage, drank on Tuesday, July 17th, 2007 (really more like Monday night).

It is a little young, I agree. However, a buddy of mine was visiting and fine beer is meaningless if you can't share it with a friend. And what could be finer than a Dark Lord? Drank from the fancy-shmancy Sam Adams glass (hell yeah).

The beer pours motor-oil black with a thick, beautiful coffee-and-cream head. The head is, however, incredibly short-lived. After the head dies down, the beer looks slick like motor oil. That makes sense, it look like motor oil probably because it should!

The nose is heavily alcoholic. Coffee and chocolate ("mocha" if you wanna be a douche-bag about it) is also present along with a strong play-dough smell that I associate with homebrews that are still a touch too young.

The taste follows the smell, but with a very rich malty backbone added on. Hersey's this ain't, it rivals the finest Belgian chocolates, mixed with delightful coffee, a touch of toffee, and some play-dough. It reminds me of the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout, but more "beer-y" if you know what I mean. I know I am drinking a beer with this guy.

The mouthfeel is slick. This monster takes a looong while to drink, so the carbonation is long gone by the time you get around to reviewing the beer. Instead, you are left with a very full, very slick feel in the mouth. Since the taste is so pleasant, having my mouth coated with this bad-boy is a pleasure.

The drinkability, well, this guy is intense. But I like it. I've drank it (well, 11oz of it) for over an hour now and I am not yet bored. Really very good stuff. Perfect for hanging out with a friend and talking about the good ol' days. Like scotch, but beer, if that makes sense.

I dig it. I understand why people like it so much.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to Schneid for giving me the chance to try this (hopefully) magnificent brew.

As I type this sentence, I am about to pour the first glass.

There is no head, at all, and the brew is dark, inky black. Easily the darkest beer I've seen (except, perhaps, for Speedway Stout). The smell is complex, with chocolate being the overriding scent I detect. Though coffee is also abundant.

Now for the drinking portion of the evening's festivities.

The mouthfeel is superb, think and viscous, but with a velvety smooth texture. Chocolate is, again, predominate, with just a hint of carbonation. I detect coffee, some vanilla, with an aftertaste that's somewhat oaky...or is that cedar. I am stunned by the high fruit content. Along with chocolate and vanilla, there's definitely caramel and several different fruit blends mixed in there. An absolutely stunning concoction. The massive alcohol content is difficult to discern.

It can serve as a dessert, a sipping drink, or a serious thirst quencher on a cold (or hot) day.

Not to be missed.

***THERE HAS BEEN TOO MUCH VARIATION ON THIS BEER FROM YEAR TO YEAR. I AM DINGING THE SCORE SLIGHTLY. PREVIOUSLY A 4.95

3.94/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2007 Vintage. Syrupy black pour, very faint bubbles fail to produce any head of even a ring. Very dark but almost dead looking. Rich aroma of fruit and chocolate. Cherry and raspberry with cocoa and a hint of vanilla. Light alcohols peek through in the background.

Rather dry with more sweet dark fruits in the taste. More cocoa/chocolate flavor with a lingering bitterness that for the most part gives some balance although it's still a bit cloying.

The mouthfeel is heavy/syrupy and overall the carbonation is too weak though at least it's not flat.

Overall the Dark Lord doesn't live up to the hype. It was way too malty/thick for my liking. The beer coated the glass in a way I've never seen before, and although I wouldn't call it sludge, the last half of the beer was certainly thick and chewy. The alcohol wasn't too much, and there is some balance of flavor. It just wasn't that special. I'd recommend The Abyss instead...

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

The build up for this selection was certainly justified. It pours black and syrupy with slight ruby highlights. The deep brown head recedes to a short cap leaving some lace.

The aroma is malty and a bit dim compared to its formidable appearance. Roasty and sweet of molasses and coffee.

Very deep and complex in flavor. Loads of roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, sticky caramel, smoke, nuttiness, and hint of bitterness in attempts to achieve balance. But predominately sweet malt with great and numerous undertones.

Syrupy tar. One of the thicker brews I've had. Certainly an experience. Not my favorite stout, but an awesome one nonetheless. Should easily be considered one of the best in the world.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

At last week's unveiling of the infamous QuaPA homebrew (made with, um, special herbs and spices), my man Ezra busted out this gem of a beer he scored in a trade. Muchas gracias, Ez, for sharing.
Pours a deep, dark black that akin to that of the bottom of a darkened mineshaft. Consistency of spent motor oil, with a thick, dark tan head. Aroma of deep, dark, rich malt, burnt brown sugar, figs, and blood orange.
The palate is an amazing amalgam of huge dark malt and tons of dark fruit. Notes of burnt sugar, caramel, and dark chocolate lurk underneath, along with some mild chili spice and a pervasive blood orange character. The body is rich, creamy, and heavy, coating everything. I don't think there's anything else out there with a comparable mouthfeel.
Although it packs a punch, the beer is highly drinkable for an imperial stout. That being said, you'd probably be best off not trying to drink the entire bottle on your own. Find a friend, as the roughly 1200 calories the Lord contains would certainly weigh you down.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Got three of these beauties (2007 version) via trade for some Westy's. A big thank you goes out to Duster72, WankerWeasel, and westweasel.

Oh boy here it goes!

A: I peeled back the wax and popped this bad boy open. I swear I saw smoke coming from inside the bottle, was I imagining this or was there really smoke? This is the absolute darkest beer known to man.... Period! Black does not start to describe this beers color. That being said as I swirl the glass I see hints of red popping thru. It pours with the consistency of 10W40 motor oil with a nice two finger espresso colored head that settles down nicely. I see some mud at the bottom of the glass, can't wait to consume that, I may pour it over ice cream. There is no lacing, but the glass appears to have been dipped into oil. The contents of this bottle may be the remains of the Exxon Valdez spill as there is an oily film left behind as the contents disappear.

S: Very complex. You really have to concentrate to pick out the aromas. I smell dark espresso, vanilla, prunes, raisins, and a hint of alcohol, port wine maybe? Pure goodness in a bottle.

T: Ah yeeeessss. I really like this one. Some of the finest malts on earth must have been used to brew this stuff. I can confrim it is not the remains of the Exxon Valdez what it is though is one great beer. The first thing that comes to my mind here is rich creamy chocolate cake. There is an overload of chocolate at first. As it oozes down my throat and believe me it oozes there are notes of cherries, plums, raisins, currents, and a hint of smoke. This is one complex brew. Danger Will Robinson I am in Sensory Overload.

M: You could chew this one, put it in a pan and bake it and you would have Fudge. In all honesty this is a thick brew but it is so rich, creamy and smooth. BRAVO!

D: Obviously at 13% ABV and the cost this is a one bottle brew. But it is one of the most enjoyable bottles of beer you will ever consume.

Overall: Move over Slimfast we now have a meal in a bottle instead of a can. This one is so ever filling. It leaves your belly so full and your insides warm and tingly. After consuming this beer you will forget all about calories. As for the hype related to this beer; what hype? This beer lives up to the billing. 3 Floyd's takes great care in making this beer and it is deserving of its own day for release. I realize the whole Dark Lord Day may have grown a little out of hand, but the hoopla helps to make this beer even more special than your every day or seasonal beer.

I was born and raised in the Hoosier State where all my family still resides. From this day forward we will take an annual trip back home, to visit our family, friends, and the FFF family. I will score mass amounts of this stuff to drink as I please and to share with those less fortunate who can not attend.

In closing this beer could probably easily receive 5* but I am still holding back for that perfect beer that I have yet to find... I may be on to it though. The oak aged version of this may quite possibly push this one over the top making it deserving of a 5 star rating. I can't wait to get my hands on some and find out. If it is you will be the first to know.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a black tar color with a decent head and some lacing on the small glass I had the priviledge of tasting. Unreal flavors going on: Vanilla, chocolate, cherries, coffee, orange...full of flavor. Yet, they all blend nicely together. I have trouble putting down beers over 9-10 percent, but I can see drinking a few of these, but extemely potent and highly drinkable. One of my top 20 without a doubt.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thaks to trep for the share of the 2007 DLIS

A jet black, syrupy pour hits the glass, making a slightly thin, dark head that disappears into the murky depths below. Aroma is not as rich as I had expected: raisin, plum, clearly a presence from notes of smoked malts, chocolate, and grape rinds.

Taste is fantastic, I was amazed (although the hype said that I shouldn't be) at how well the flavor masked the 13% ABV. Coffee, raw cocoa (not chocolate, it's a bit more primitive than that), and some smooth hoppy notes are all in attendance. Mouthfeel's creamy and smooth, almost chewable. Carbonation is near extinct due to the high alcohol content, but it works. The alcohol isn't big in the taste, but you can definately feel it warm the face and seep into the minute cuts on the roof and sides of the mouth. Bottom line: amazing beer, no doubt worth the hype. It's tasty, complex, and the pricetag is justified. Can't wait to see how I like it the second time around.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

This was a 2007 batch. This was my first Dark Lord, and I must say I am impressed.

This was poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Poured very thick, creating a cling to the glass almost instantly. Not as dark as most stouts could be, but very brown and the thickest I have ever seen. The 'motor oil consistensy' pun is no joke, believe it.

The smell is unlike anything. Chocolate, caramel, sugar and alcohol fill the nose. Such a great smell I almost was satisfied enough not to drink it.

The taste is so hard to describe. You taste pretty much what you smell, as well as cherries and malt. This beer is strong in flavor, it really sticks to the tounge and doesnt wash away. The alcohol is not strong in any way shape or form.

This beer feels great in the mouth, so silky and creamy, not overly carbonated but just enough for a stout.

This beer could be drank all year round. I had it alongside a fire and it went down smooth and I didnt want the glass to be empty. This beer doesnt need to be super cold, the warmth in this brew brings out the flavor so much more. Three Floyds does it again. I will be returning to Indiana every year for this tasty stout from here on out.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22oz. bottle - 2006 edition - Many thanks to beermanbrian

After a year of patience, it's finally time to see if the hype surrounding this beer matches the reality.

Pours a very thick, black color with a dark cocoa head that recedes. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is huge! Sweet and sticky with a blend of roasted malts, dark fruits, cocoa, coffee, and a hint of booze. Wonderfully complex and rich.

Big sticky sweetness upfront leading into rich roasted malt flavors and a bold dark fruitiness. Plenty of dark cocoa and espresso flavors, and even a hint of hops come through in the middle. But, the sweetness remains constant from start to finish - nothing jumps in to balance it out. The taste becomes as cloying as it is complex.

Enormous body, quite syrupy. Light carbonation.

Well, it appears that the hype has triumphed again. While this is a giant beer and full of complexities, the sweetness just becomes annoying. It really lacks balance, and that really limits the drinkability. Certainly worth a try, but doesn't come close to living up to the hype.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Hail minions! It's kkipple with a review of Dark Lord, everyone's favorite scarce and expensive Imperial Stout! If you want to dispense with the nonsense, then yes, believe what everyone else has already told you: Dark Lord really is that good, it's world-class, etc etc. But since it seems a BA tradition to write long-winded, silly and completely pointless reviews of this beer, onward! This one is from the 2007 vintage, drunk the same year.

Appearance? Well, how best to 'splain it? It's dark. Real dark. If Bush and Hilary Clinton had a daughter, who then became a concubine of Kim Jong-il and had a son -- well, his heart might be as dark as Dark Lord. But probably not. It's sticky. Real sticky. Has legs like Yao Ming in stilettos. I’ll pause while you claw your eyes. ...
Ok. A few tiny bubbles swirl around the vile, sickly morass. I fear the stain of the Dark Lord may never come out of my glass. I give it a 5.

The smell is nearly as sinister. Deep, silent roasted malts lie in wait behind prunes, espresso, black rum, black holes and carbon, just waiting for you to come closer so they can beat your nose within an inch of its life. I hesitate to call it pungent, but it’s aromatic and ornate. Some alcohol is present, but is cunningly hid for the advertised 13%. A deeply burnt, dark, evil smelling beer that begs to be drunk.

Ah yes, but what does pure darkness taste like? Dark Lord is sweet, rich, and floods the mouth with a potent oil-slick of roasted grains, cocoa, carbon char, prunes, raisins, vanilla and a hint of tobacco. It’s super sweet without being cloying, but is also wonderfully rich and complex, more akin to drinking a sauce or reduction than a beer. The carbonation level is low, providing just enough fizz to tingle the edges of the mouth before the violent espresso / char / stout syrup wallops the everloving tar out of your taste buds.

Dark Lord continues its assault on your senses by completely coating the inside of the mouth. Have you ever drunk oil-based paint? No? Well, neither have I, but I imagine it’s a similar feeling. Clinging, slick, and malicious, the rich burnt taste of Dark Lord floods your mouth. The finish is well nigh everlasting for a beer; the flavor lingers seductively on your tongue for minutes after you take the smallest of sips. Superb.

But is it drinkable? Tough question, really. I think a 6oz serving would satisfy me most anytime; all the better, I suppose, since this is one to share with your very best friends. So lower marks here, but that said, Dark Lord is one of the finest beers I’ve ever had the pleasure of indulging in. While I suspect that part of its mystique comes from its rarity, there’s no denying that ole DL is one world-class beer. If you have the chance to get it, do so. Evil never tasted so good!

Huge thanks to Khaismus for sharing his only bottle!

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Thanks to Quatertill2 for the trade on this.

A- Black. If you hold it to the light, there's a little tiny bit of brown around the edges. Leaves a brown stain around the glass. Head was dark dark brown, poured a couple fingers after a hard pour. It dissipates and begins to look like used oil.

S- Rich and heavy. Dark roasted malt, chocolate, fig, burnt sugar, oak, molasses, wood, alcohol.... smells absolutely wonderful. Mind blowing.

T- Sweet malt, balanced by dark roasted grains, some dark cherry, burnt malt, burnt sugar, chocolate, dark fruit, roasted espresso, alcohol, faint hops, lingering bitterness and sweetness, though both crazy strong, they're balanced.

M- The best mouthfeel. Ever. Period. Chewy, smooth, lingering, medium low carbonation... geez. it's perfect.

D- I love it. Insanely enough, if this beer was readily available, I'd drink it all the time. It's such a treat that you can't... but I think it would sell very well if it was available all the time, still. Five is not a good enough score. makes all the others, so far, look weak.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.