Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Green with silver glitter = 2017 - New Label

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

#659

Ratings: 4,317 |  Reviews: 1,296

The 2008 bottle. The review numbers will reflect the 08 version.
A- Very dark and thick. Like 30 weight oil from my truck after 5k miles. Or if you prefer, watered down tar. The head is dark brick brown/red, the color you would want your rue for a gumbo to be. This head doesn't like to hang around.

S- It is hard to put a finger exactly on all the things I'm smelling. Soy sauce comes to the for front for me here, I guess more like a teriyaki sauce. I get a slight smell of chocolate. I think I get cherry, but its difficult to tell with the alcohol smell being so prevalent.

T- The taste helps hash out some of the indescribable smells. Alright well chocolate is here in the taste, along with a faint vanilla taste and a good dose of cherry. The malts are roasted to perfection. As far as hops, I'm not tasting them. I am getting a dry dusty taste in the aftertaste. This for sure has a sweetness to it that is just there, and doesn't seem to be attributed to anything other then the malts.

M- Thick to say the least. The dry taste does seem to dry out my mouth a touch.

D- Easy to drink, the ABV seems to be hidden very well in the taste, and I'm drinking this quite fast even though I'm trying to savor this. I think when it is all said and done my scores will stay the same. This is good, but hasn't wowed me like some other RISs have. Still it is very tasty.

This bottle of 2007 came to me by way of akorsak. A huge thanks to him.
A-4- Dark, thick and mysterious. This beer has no head what so ever. This beer doesn't need head...it gives it. Or in the right circumstances allows you to get it just based on the look of this beer alone.
S-4- I could smell this as soon as the bottle was popped. Soy sauce is there in the beginning smell. Followed by vanilla and chocolate. The roasted smell is there as well.
T-4- I've been waiting to taste this for quite some time. I waited for a special occasion (my recent birthday) but I didn't want to share so I'm drinking it now a few days later. It was very hard not to drink this right away, but now that I also have an 08 bottle I can enjoy this one. Wow this is a sweet one, almost like a sweet milk stout. The flavors that are coming out are coffee, roasted/burnt malts, cherry, chocolate and the soy sauce. This is good and quite tasty, but it seems a bit sweet for my tastes. As the bottle went on it became kinda boring and uneventful, it started to loose its edge. I do hope my 08 bottle is different.
M-4- This has nice thickness, but I'm getting a slight weird feeling in my mouth, kinda mixed between slimy and tooth coating.
D-4- This is tasty, and worth the trade. However, I would rather have a Kate the Great then this one. Who knows maybe the 2008 version is better.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.27 out of 5 with 4,317 ratings