Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

#660

Ratings: 4,305 |  Reviews: 1,294
1.54/5  rDev -63.9%

2009 vintage into a glass. I've gotten so many bottles of this (big thanks to busch03, Hexxed, badbeer, and tprokop7 for making that happen), but I keep giving or trading them away. Finally got a chance to try one for myself. Split with my girlfriend, who loves sugary sweet RISes.

First rating: D- (2.1)

---

Second bottle (2009) opened to split with a buddy. He loved it, but it was even more abysmal than I remembered. Scores have been downgraded.

A: Pours a pitch motor oil black in the glass. No edge penetration or browning. The head is a limpid half-finger of dark brown bubbles, with maybe 30 seconds of retention before vanishing completely. No lacing down the glass. The second pour out of the bottle was even more viscous, and left tons of oily-looking residue down the glass when I swirled it. The final pour (don't scroll down, you'll spoil the surprise!) produced some sludgy sediment that scared the hell out of me. Is this beer half solid?

S: Dark fruit is heavy on this one -- lots of plums, some dates and a small berry character that I couldn't identify. Molasses was very heavy, and so were brown sugar, roasted malt, and chocolate. Couldn't smell any coffee. Could use some contrast... this was over the top sweet.

T: It's like someone poured syrup into my mouth. Lots of plum and date on the initial taste. Mid-taste is mostly brown sugar, molasses, and chocolate. Roasted malt, burnt raisin, burnt caramel, and again plum on the finish, with a boozy burn that reminded me of a cheap, syrupy wine. I could detect coffee bitterness underneath, but the flavor was Sweetness turned up to 11. In small quantities I might give this a 3.5 to 4, but even splitting a bomber 3 ways was too much.

M: One of the thickest, most full-bodied brews I've ever had. I swirled it in my mouth and it seemed to sludge up my teeth. But the carbonation was TOO low, even for an RIS -- just a hair above flat. Detracted from the flavor and allowed the beer to become too syrupy and mouth-coating. Also, there's a boozy burn as I mentioned above. There's no subtlety or craft to this beer at all. It's like being sledgehammered with malt and booze. Christ.

D: And the coating, by the end of the bottle, was just disgusting. My girlfriend and I split the first glass, and she was done about 20% of the way in. I gave 1/3 of the second glass to my buddy, who echoed the "too sweet" comments I had bouncing around in my head. I finally drizzled some on vanilla ice cream and tried to consume it that way, but I couldn't handle the sugar. Wound up pouring out the last 20% of the bottle. Could not finish. Undrinkable by definition.

I hate to be "the guy" that pours out Dark Lord, but what a cloying, syrupy, sickly sweet mess this beer was. I just could not bring myself to go any further into the bottle. I really can't give this anything above an F considering that it's so expensive and I had to drainpour TWO bottles (in other words, the "possibly bad bottle" excuse doesn't apply). What a trainwreck.

1.56/5  rDev -63.5%

Pours black in the glass with a frothy khaki head that has good retention looks mildly viscous leaving spotty lacing

sweet,coffee chocolate

EXTREMELY sweet kinda of a mess cant really find coffee,chocolate,or anything here

Mouth feel like a melted milk shake

Overall this beer wa god awful extremely over hyped and I just don't understand it. IMO the trade value here is for a bud lights platinum

1.68/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.68/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

1.85/5  rDev -56.7%

Not sure where the hype comes from this beer is one of the worst things I have ever tasted

1.88/5  rDev -56%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1

My last review was deemed more of a rant than a review

(I don't know. I realize this might be sacrilege but this beer was gross. I had it on tap at the brewpub on the wednesday after darklord day and I have to say that I did not enjoy it. This was like fermented prune juice or something...I love stouts, porters and dark beer but this was without a doubt the most disappointing beer I have ever drank. Don't go out of your way for this.)

So I'll try to play be the rules this time:

Appearance: Solid Black and thick as hell (great looking stout)

Smell: Mixture of spoiled prune juice and nail polish remover

Taste: Something is wrong with this. Funky, spoiled and possibly poisonous are my best adjectives for this.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied stout

Drinkability: I finished it only out of obligation.

Let me add to my original review that I LOVE almost every FFF beer that I've tried and think their brewpub is one of the greatest in the midwest. Unfortunately, this beer is not my cup of tea.

1.98/5  rDev -53.6%

2011 Dark Lord Imperial Stout picked up by my son at Dark Lord Day and shared with friends during a night of beer and boardgames.

It poured jet black with red highlight when the wine glass was held up to the light. A gentle pour yielded a subtle head of tight tan bubbles. The nose was full of molasses, toasty malts, raisins and alcohol. First sips yielded a strange vegetal taste . It is very sweet with hints of dirt, and vanilla—maybe soft fruits. As it warmed, alcohol became more dominant with warming sherry notes and a hint of coffee. Full and round mouth feel. I was prepared to like this more than I did. I am sure it would become more rounded with age.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.27 out of 5 with 4,305 ratings