Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

the beer pours a jet black with a thin tan head that dissipates into a thin tan halo. the nose has some potent dark pit fruits (raisins/prunes), caramel suagrs, and touch of chocolate/coffee. the taste is way sweeter than expected, but mixes well with all the intense chocolate covered raisins. I must be honest... this beer is way too sweet for me, but is definitely different than Black Tuesday for instance. I can only imagine this being better in a barrel/aged.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Vintage: 22 ounce bottles poured into 10 ounce Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout snifter.

A: Moderate pour yields a mocha colored head that has just enough presence to cover the top of the beer before receding into the black abyss that is this stout. Some alcohol legs as I work my way though the glass.

S: Roast, coffee, dark chocolate, and an interesting fig-like presence.

T: Very sweet, which I was expecting given this isn't my first dance with Dark Lord. I save this one for the times I am craving something sweet in my glass. Dark fruits and raisins hit my tongue first. A sweet chocolate moves in next and a light roastiness is perceptible on the back end. The sweetness is more perceptible on the tongue than the nose, which suggested more roast character.

M: Thick and syrupy (the way I like my imperial stouts). Not too much carbonation, but enough to let your tongue know this one isn't still.

O: Overall, I know the hate this one gets, but I am a fan. Cracking a bottle open at the appropriate time (i.e., when I want something sweet) assures an enjoyable drinking experience. I have a full 08-11 vintage right now, and hope to post thoughts on each vintage.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed with end of my steak & beginning of my choco cake dessert @ a BYOB in Phoenixville, PA. (Thanks Mr. OneUnder)
*Serving-2009 (white wax) big bomber with a dark, scary cartoonish label--very cool.
*Appears dark, like used motor oil. Not all black, has a reddish brown eliment to it. No carbonation really. Lacing was minimal. Aging may have taken its toll a bit.
*Smell is complex. Cold it started as just fruity, raisons, some slight alcohol esthers in the nose. Warming up for 20 minutes it had some coffee and grapes.
*Taste evolved with the temperaturs like most complex stouts. Lots of burnt/candied raisons, plums, prune juice, no alcohol detected. As it warmed up, to me it was more like an XO cognac then any beer or stout I've tasted. ABV is totally hidden, just a slight detection as it warmed to almost room temp. I like ports and cognac and this is very close to them for me.
*Mouthfeel was average, not thick or thin. It was on the creamy side. No carbonation in this example. Easy sipper.
*Overall---wow, I've waited years for the DARK LORD. Read the hype and followed the cult like following. This 2009 example may be slightly "old", not sure until I try a 2011 or 2012 I have cellared. The DL was not like any stout I've had. The 15% ABV was almost totally masked. The rich dark/carmalized/fruit taste was not what I was expecting, but I did enjoy it. A slow sipper, by the fire. A chocolate cake & choco pudding food pairing helped balance this brew.
I mixed a tiny amount from the last of the bottle with a more traditional stout and the DL took over the taste, overpowered it so the DL was just a bit lighter and more balanced toward smokey malt and chocolate, but the prune/raison or cognac flavor was pronounced.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.