Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016
Green with silver glitter = 2017 - New Label

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Ratings: 4,266 |  Reviews: 1,284

Had the 2012 dark lord red wax bottle. It was the first time I'd had a Russian imperial stout, and I wish I could have it more often than 4 per year. I agree with a lot I reviews on this beer. It does have a motor oil consistency going down. It is dark as night with a light head and carbonation. Tastes like cofffee , chocolate, and the alcohol content is very well hidden. I live 40 minute from the brewery and am currently moving to California. I will definitely be flying back next year for my 4 beer allotment.

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass vintage 2012. Big thanks to Wade5614 for the trade, and Exiled for the advice.

Into the snifter, it pours out chestnut brown, hitting the glass body and barely making a head at all of a simple tan light brown, fading under some faint snapping carbonation. Leaves a little filmy top and can't hang on, giving just a faint collar, with some nice leg action also and scattered leopard lacing barely.

Nose is quite interesting, suprinsingly not hot, mild roast character and dark red fruits. Cherry and raspberry, some dark chocolate and even some sensations of sea salt, maybe even caramel. Quite intriguing and nice, makes me love this salt and chocolate combo which is a favorite of mine.

Palate hits with a tight fizz at first that doesn't seem noticeable after numerous sips later. Extremely thick and syrupy and liqueur like palate. Memories of raspberry syrup hit, maybe some licorice, and then it's full on Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. Roast character takes a bit of back seat with quaffs. Syrup sweetness is quite big but in the context of how the liquor feels it comes off as a digestif and seems to work. Roast lingers slightly and rushes dark fruit toward the end with also a sense of alcohol bitterness (bitters, digsetif, etc...).

Overall it's really sweet for my tastes but tolerable, and also fun. Quite an interesting ride, glad to have given it a whirl. It's a sipper which doesn't always appeal to me for beer, but it's without question worth drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

3.31/5  rDev -22.7%

Thanks for the trade jmarsh123!

2012 vintage. 22oz bottle poured into a FFF stemmed tulip.

A: One finger tan head. Good retention, tight bubbles. Body is very dark, but I reviewed this outdoors in low-light and couldn’t get a great sense of the color/opacity. Looks inviting though.

S: Molasses, sweet malt, faint chocolate nibs and unappealing dark fruit.

T: Yikes! I was expecting sweet but this surpassed my expectations. Pretty shocking. It’s not really even stout-like. Where’s the roast and/or bitterness? It starts cloyingly sweet and then you get a small hit of coffee flavor but without any coffee bitterness. That is somewhat unique I guess.

M: Creamy texture, yet thin body...especially for such a big stout. Speaking of which, where’s the alcohol? Pretty amazing that this is a 15% beer. That’s the best thing I can say about this.

O: I was expecting to be disappointed, but this was worse than I anticipated. I’m glad I got to have it so now I can get it behind me and not worry about having to trade for it again.

2.14/5  rDev -50%

2010 vintage, my 3rd DL. Still a drain pour.

A: Poured a solid black with good carbonation and a nice brownish head, some lacing present.

S: Immediate soy, tobacco leaves, leather, smoked meats, choco cherries

T: Immediate soy sauce, raisins and prunes, tobacco leaves, chocolate covered cherries, more soy sauce(dying or dead yeast), roastiness which transitions to leather, smoked meat, booze sting with a bitter chocolate, bitter, harsh, boozey finish. that soy and leather just kill me.

M: Big body, heavy and harsh

O: One of the most overrated beers of all time...gotta love that hype train

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

22oz bottle from mbierz (thanks for the trade, Matt!). 2011 release. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours vicious oil black with a half finger quickly-vanishing mocha head. No lacing, just a gorgeous jet black pool.

Interesting sweet nose. Soy, dark fruit, candy sugar, vanilla, cocoa.

Wasn't sure what to think at first. Unlike any other stout I've tried. Very sweet, with tart cherry, vanilla, coffee, caramel, burnt sugar and soy sauce. At first I thought it may be too sweet but the more I drank, the more I wanted. Flavors blend well and hide the 15% abv incredibly well. Long sweet delicious aftertaste.

Very thick and heavy with almost no carbonation. Almost spot on for how I like my stouts.

Very happy to finally try this one and even happier to have a 2012 bottle to drink at a later date. It may sound cliche, but there is not another imperial stout out there like this one. Dark Lord is original, distinctive and incredibly delicious. Well worth a trade and I will certainly be looking for more.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into 12 ounce snifters. Deep dark pitch black with just as black highlights. Head is about one finger and light tan in color and creamy in appearance. Lace is quite sticky for now.

Smell is lots of dark roasted coffee beans and chocolate sweet. There is a bit of tart fruit aromas, maybe cherry or fig. There isn't the slightest bit of alcohol in the nose, kind of surprising for a brew at 15%. This is a year+ old though.

Taste is quite fantastic. A lot sweeter than I had anticipated the coffee and chocolate aren't as prevalent as the nose. The tart cherry is foremost but there is a bit of chocolate and coffee that comes second. There is just a bit of alcohol in the taste but not much for this high abv brew.

Mouth is viscous and warming, the carbonation is creamy with a full to heavy body and a everlasting wet finish. MMHHH!!!

Overall I have been waiting over two years to try this sought after brew. I have endured a broken bottle of this and many trade offers but after all that I have finally drank the holy grail. This is a 2011 bottle that came via davesway10. Thanks Dave. A must try but IMO not the holy grail.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.54/5  rDev -17.3%

A - Dark brown w/ one finger of bubbly espresso coloured head.

S - Big coffee nose up front with some noticeable alcohol, roasted malts and char. There is a big sweetness here too that is balanced by the ABV somewhat.

T - Chocolate and coffee with a big bold molasses sweetness. Vanilla and dates and figs. Quite sweet which definitely hides the booze completely.

M - The feel is thick and syrupy with a long coating finish. It does go flat about halfway through the glass though.

O - This beer did not live up to the hype for me. I love the fact that it's 15% ABV as I wish more breweries would try to make beers this strong. It's definitely an above average stout and good for the high ABV but this beer is way overhyped. I would not trade for this considering what you have to give up to get a bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.