Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.88/5  rDev +14%

2009 Vintage.

A: Black liquid with minimal head.

S: Cherries, figs, coffee, toasted malt, roasted barley.

T: Cherries, figs and currants up front with coffee, toasted malt and roasted barley flavours. Quite sweet with a very smooth finish.

O: Beautiful. Extremely drinkable and the ABV is extremely well hidden after being aged this long.

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Vintage, yellow wax. Poured into a snifter at cellar temperature. This will be my first time trying Dark Lord.

A- Pours black with a small amount of tan head that quickly fades. Not much carbonation going on here. It looks thin compared to the motor oil consistency I was expecting. Lots of lacing around the glass.

S- I get mostly dark fruits and molasses in the smell. It has a definite booze smell to it also.

T- There's so much going on here in the taste. Initially I get a chocolate and coffee hit. Then comes the dark fruits and an overall burnt, roasty type malty presence. The alcohol sting is apparent, with a warming sensation to finish the sip.

M- Unlike its thin look as I mentioned in appearance, Dark Lord has the motor oil consistency in the mouthfeel. Very thick, chewy, and flavorful. The alcohol is apparent with each sip.

I always enjoy a FFF brew and their flagship Dark Lord does not disappoint. I'd love to go to Dark Lord Day this year too.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

2011 - Yellow Wax reviewed on 03-05-2012, 22 oz bomber into a DFH signature glass. It was a bit of a struggle to open this, I had to saw and peel off all the wax on the cap in order to get the opener to fit.

A - Looks like most RIS's. Pitch black motor oil body with a thick mocha head. Dies down to a nice cap and edging. Light lacing and retention, has alcoholic legs to it. 4.0/5

S - Ummmm. I don't know? Super roasty malts, coffee beans, sugar, plums, cherries, leather, oak, vanilla, tobacco, more sugar, soy, booze, and about 20 other things. There is so much happening here its a bit overwhelming. 4.5/5

T - I will just preface this by saying that I love sweet beers. This is by far the sweetest one I have tried. It makes ST creme brulee look like a health drink. Its just a diabetic mess, and I love it! Starts off with an unbelievable sweetness that is very strong on the vanilla. This lasts for a while. It really isn't until the sugary coating leaves my tongue that I can taste some other notes. Burnt oak, cherries, caramelized dark fruit, coffee, and cocoa nibs. Not as complex as the nose, partially due to the cloying sweetness. I drank a few glass of water to get through this beer. 4.0/5

M - Medium to thick body that really coast the tongue. Carbonation is surprisingly high. Could not detect the high abv in the taste at all. 4.5/5

O - One of the most interesting stouts I have tried. I was not prepared for how sweet tasting this is. Its like drinking a vanilla stout syrup. Despite the sweetness, its delicious in the same way that a decadent dessert is. The base beer is nuts, I can't even fathom how they can work in brandy barrels and vanilla beans for the variants. This is a must try beer, but I won't be trading for one in the future. 4.0/5

2012 - Red Wax reviewed on 07-26-2012, 22 oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A - Same as 2011. 4.0/5

S - Not sure if its the fact that this is somewhat fresh, or a change in recipe but its not as complex or interesting as the 2011 I tried. Lots of coffee and chocolate and notes of red wine and plums. A touch savory and smoky. Finishes with a roasted bitterness and alcohol presence. 4.0/5

T - Not as sweet or cloying as 2011. Its also not as complex. Layers of roasted malt, coffee, milk chocolate, molasses and plums. A touch of that green apple bite that everyone is noticing. Strong sweet vanilla presence on the finish. 4.0/5

M - Silky, smooth, sticky and syrupy. Super decadent which makes it the ultimate desert beer. Little to no alcohol presence, even at room temperature. 4.5/5

O - 2011 > 2012 in my opinion. 2012 is actually rather balanced and approachable for a 15% RIS. 2011 was just a sweet diabetic mess, which really worked for me as a chaotic beer like that is kind of exciting. 4.0/5

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Yellow wax - 2011
Extra special thanks to robbiemoy13 for trading me one of these.
Poured into Founders snifter.

Review #300

A- There really isn't much to say about the looks. The bottle describes motor oil and they are spot on. It's literally a glass of used oil. There was a finger width tan head that very quickly disappeared to a thin ring and nothing else. Lacing is spotty and the alcohol just clings to the glass.

S- Getting a massive mix of stone fruits and vanilla and alcohol aroma throughout. Brown sugar, molasses, licorice with a healthy dose of chocolate and coffee.

T- Chocolate and coffee with a big bold molasses sweetness. Vanilla and dates and figs. Quite sweet which definitely hides the booze completely.

M- Heavy and creamy and silky and oily etc. It's a pretty big beer!

O- This is pretty good. The sweetness was killing it for me but it really grew on me quite quickly. I can now see what the hype is. I can only wish to have this more than once.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Dark Lord '11.

I have been sitting on this bottle since I received it in a trade from my friend Jeff back in June. I figured that since today is my birthday it would be a good day to crack this one open.

I poured part of the bomber into my Cigar City snifter to find a body that was black as a starless night, with no head or lacing at all. The aroma was rich with malt, molasses, chocolate, and a bit of sugar.

After all the hype that this beer gets I really didn't know what to expect with the taste. My first sip was a little bigger than I would have liked and I wasn't ready for the thickness of the body. I hate to compare beers but my first initial thought that this was DFH Bitch's Brew on steroids. After getting over the fact that I am finally drinking this one I really enjoyed it. It took me nearly an hour and a half to drink two-thirds of the bottle by myself with my brother in law finishing it off. I really enjoyed the malts on this one, this is one where they truly stick out, but in a good way. As mentioned before in reviews the '11 does have a fair amount of sweetness but being prepared for it by reading previous reviews I was mentally ready for it and thought that it wasn't that bad.

Overall I really enjoyed this one and I would love to try an '08 vintage. I will defiantly try to get a bottle or two in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a pitch-black color, let's no light through; no head, barely any lacing

S: Vanilla, oak, and roasted malt

T: Wow, the flavors just explode on the tongue! Starts very sweet with notes of raisins, figs, oak, malt, and grapes; finishes with some sweet bourbon and a slightly spicy booziness. Overall it's very complex, though it's a little bit too sweet so it doesn't get a perfect 5.

M: Thick, chewy, and viscous, with a very light boozy warmth as it goes down.

O: This is a phenomenal stout that could be even better if they toned down the sweetness a bit. The one we opened was the freshest batch (2011) so it'll be interesting to see how this one holds up with age and if it gets any sweeter.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Finally got me a hit of Dark Lord. 2010 bottle, thanks to Oneinchaway for the trade.

Pours a mahogany, with a hint of burnt cherry hue. Beautiful color, slight hint of a head dissipates quickly.

Nose was a bit evasive at first, I think it needed to warm a bit. But after a few strong sniffs, I got molasses, overall sweetness, and a hint of nut? Pleasing.

On the tongue I got molasses and roast, hint of chocolate, and...warmth. I like this one very much, the flavor I keep getting back to sip after sip, is the molasses, not too sweet though.

Mouth, very well-balanced. Has the heft I wanted, but not overly chewy.

I look forward to trying another 2010, and hopefully many more versions.. Bless You 3floyds.

1.5/5  rDev -65%

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.