Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016
Green with silver glitter = 2017 - New Label

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Ratings: 4,250 |  Reviews: 1,282

First review, favorite beer. Doing a bit different a review since I'm not the best at tossing over used, under accurate tasting adjectives at every category of the beer. My brain just doesn't work this way.

Did a vertical tasting.

2008 - The best of the bunch, this version had the best balance of mouthfeel and flavor. Thick, but in that good way. I remember this version fresh being soy saucy. That is gone and perfect balance for an RIS is left.

2009 - This was great but not as perfect as the 08. Slightly thinner in both flavor and feel. This version was better fresh. It came out perfect, with the coffee part nailed to perfection. I wish I drank all my 09's in 09. That was the perfect beer for me then and what I still think of as the best Dark Lord I've had to date.

2010 - This is drinking close to the 08 with the exception of roastyness. It's aslo thinner but the sweet is just right in this one. I remember this being a little hot fresh. That's all gone now. Age has done it well, but it doesn't seem to need more.

2011 - This is a new version of Dark Lord. The coffee is more forward than years past and different. It's more iced coffee than espresso. The beer is also much thinner than before. Fun fresher for the new coffee, but I kind of want this beer to age back into more of the thicker, sweeter, more balanced Dark Lord I know and love. still amazing.

Hope this is an okay review for my first stab at one.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

2011 Poured into snifter

A: Pitch black, 1 finger mocha head. Pours just like oil. Decent carbonation. Just What an Imperial stout should be.

S:Very, Very sweet chocolate right away almost like chocolate covered cherries. Great roasted coffee, alcohol tingles nostrils a lil. A small hint of fig.

T:Chocolate, vanilla and cherry hit first thing. Coffee notes are absolutely perfect. The alcohol is not nearly as present as I thought it would be at 15 abv.

O:Perfect!!!! Just what I look for in an Imperial Stout. Chocolatey, coffee, goodness!

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.41/5  rDev +3%

2010

I had this as a part of a small tasting thrown for a friend. It was poured into a tasting snifter it produced a great dark mocha colored head with about a finger and a half width. The smell has improved with some age when fresh it smelled hot and sticky sweet, that has mellowed very well the coffee comes threw a little more. Huge coffee flavor, some chocolate, dark fruit flavor like fig. The mouth feel has also thinned a little an some of that sticky sweetness has mellowed, it still coats your entire mouth and stays there. Overall this is one of my favorite beers I guess you can call me a homer but I am so happy FFF brews in my state.

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

My good friend Passow (iamaguitargod) was most awesome enough to split a bomber of this as his present for my 29th birthday, which is on Wednesday December 7, 2011. This bomber was a bomber of the 2009 batch, which according to my friend and the research him and his friends, who have all had other vintages of this fine beer too, the 2009 is at its peak right now. Poured a into a snifter, this beer is a solid dark opaque color that is lets in zero light at all, so far living up to its name. The only presence of foam that is present is not a head at all, even when the beer is first poured, but rather a nice thick brown ring that lines the inside of the glass when poured, which settles to nothing pretty quickly, so that part is a bit of a disappointment. No lacing whatsoever. However, after a sip or two was taken I noticed a coat of the unfermented residual sugars coating the inside of the glass, making the glass appear to be quite foggy, or dirty. The inside of the glass is coated more with this substance each sip taken. I've had a lot of beers in my day, a lot of imperial stouts, and a fair amount of beers, including a few imperial stouts, that were over 12% ABV and have never encountered such a phenomenon as this! Aromas of roasted caramel malt, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit such as raisin, plum and cherry. Has a very sweet taste with the aforementioned roasted caramel malt, chocolate, coffee and dark fruit flavors. This is certainly the most wonderful aroma I have ever experienced with any beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Rounded out with a whiskey/bourbon like flavor and a somewhat syrupy aftertaste. If I didn't know any better I would swear this beer had been aged in whiskey barrels, but I know that is not the case with this batch. No discernible hop presence whatsoever. I can totally taste why the port wine comparison is made here, and that aspect reminds me slightly, just slightly, of Sam Adams Triple Bock with the syrupyness and all, only this beer is 1,000 times tastier and much more palatable. Overall it is fanfuckingtastic flavorwise! Getting to finally drink this is certainly quite a beer milestone for me personally. Has a very thick, chewy mouthfeel, with low carbonation. This beer really coats the inside of the mouth, similar to the way it coats the inside of the glass, and the flavors linger for quite awhile indeed. It took me quite a long time, several hours, to finish this epic beer. It was worth the wait and I hope I get to enjoy it again. Thanks for sharing Mr. Passow!

Eric

4.58/5  rDev +7%

2011 Yellow Wax

I was not fortunate enough to attend Dark Lord Day. But I am fortunate enough to have friends that regularly do and value me enough to share.

The 2011 variety of this fan favorite was a bit sweet for my taste but it provided a unique body and consistency that I hadn't experienced in Dark Lord before.

However, it's syrupy body is its downfall. If this beer to have one fault it is that it feels as though you're drinking maple syrup from a glass. It's a bit rough to choke down.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.