Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Reviews: 1,271 | Ratings: 4,197
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to BeerBeing for one of the most talked about beers on BA. I've been sitting on this one for a while, tonight is as good a night as any to pop the top.

2007 silver waxed top. Poured into a snifter. Allowed to warm up a bit after pulling it out of the fridge.

Pours an absolute midnight onyx black with not a speck of light shining through. For how wide the snifter is, the one finger dark tan head is very impressive although it does die down a bit quicker than I had hoped. Good, thick stickiness left on the sides after tilting the glass from side to side. First smell I get is mostly dark fruits. Big fig, raisin, and date aromas with a strong roasted barley background. Lots of molasses, caramel malt, and brown sugar sweetness in the nose as well. Unfortunately there is a fairly strong alcohol presence, but with all the other wonderful smells going on with this brew I can't complain. I was expecting more in terms of smokiness with this one, but the sweetness definitely dominates the nose overall. Well then, I guess the charred aspect comes into play with the flavor. Up front is a strong smokey sting combined with an almost raspberry like sweetness. Big dark chocolate malt and roasted barley midway through. There is a slight hop bite hidden, but noticable. Aftertaste is wood-like with a carmelized almond flavor, very pleasant. Huge thick and chewy mouthfeel, just how it should be. For how in your face the alcohol was in the nose, the lack of it on the tongue is quite nice. Damn good RIS, I look forward to seeing how it compares to Kate.

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Ringing in the new year with an '07 from DLD.
Poured at 50º into a 3F imperial pint. Dark mocha tinged foam swells to the rim, around three fingers high. The slow cascade effect is pretty impressive as well as the high density of the head. Over time, the foam diminishes, but the first impression is spectacular.

Sweet aroma of prune, raisin, bittersweet bakers chocolate, slightly milky. More smoke or char would be nice, but this works, it's not boozy at all. Very desserty.

Plenty of complexity, layers of Belgian chocolate, plums, raisin, molasses, very slight residual hint of coffee in the sweet, roasty finish that lasts for a few minutes.

Rich, sticky, and lip-smacking. The body is huge and fudgy, and the extra long finish is perfect for a RIS of this fortitude.

One can finish a bottle, but it's a very rare treat. Just like eating that 2nd or 3rd piece of chocolate cheesecake....

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

Happy New Year!

2007 vintage. Silver wax.

Poured a very thick dense black. Minimal brown head falls quickly. No lacing to speak of. Some sludge made its way out on the final pour. (But nothing to complain about.) Aromas of dark chocolate covered cherries, tootsie rolls, burnt marshmallows, hint of black liquorish, booze and strong roasted malt. Big bold flavors of rich chocolate, coffee, dark cherries, burnt brown sugar, deep roasted malt, and a hint of booze. Very complex in taste. Mouth feel is thick and fudgey. Low carbonation. This dark brew is extremely dense and sticky. Coated my glass with a brownish film. A 22 oz serving was a bit much for me. Drinkability wasn’t as good toward the end. The booze was hidden well, but I found it getting way too sweet and syrupy after awhile. This would be a great one to share. Recommend to be enjoyed with fellow enthusiasts! CHEERS!

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

2007 Silver Wax

A - Pure black with a creamy 2 fingers deep brown head. This pours the blackest of any beer I have seen.

S - Dark, very rich chocolate, molasses, espresso, dark fruits & anise.

T - Coffee, rich fine chocolate, caramel, toffee, deeply roasted malt and molasses.

M - Thick and chewy. Borderline syrupy but not quite. Low carbonation and the alcohol is hidden very well.

D - I wasn't a big fan of the 2005 and 2006 Dark Lords but the 2007 has made me a believer.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Since I joined this site, this has always been the number one beer I have wanted to try. Now I finally have a bottle sitting in front of me thanks to akorsak. I was originally planning on opening this tomorrow night for new years, but since I will be working, now is good enough for me. Had some trouble peeling the silver wax from the top of the bottle. Once I finally pried the cap off, I poured it in to my Rapscallion sniffer glass at I would say slightly colder than cellar temperature. Comes out of the bottle very thick, and lush looking. Not much head to be spoken of, but there was a nice ring around the sides of the glass, and some beautiful red hues on the side. In the smell was a whole range of different aromas. The most dominant was rich fudge, then some slightly bitter coffee, some fruity alcohol notes, and a distinct raisin character. Taste had it all...Notes of port, cherries covered in dark chocolate, fudge, molasses, caramel, and a slight metallic twang in the finish. I was surprised to not find much coffee in the flavor, as I understand that they use coffee in this brew. Many reviews have stated that this beer is incredibly viscous and almost like motor oil. I would say it has more of a slick mouthfeel that coats the palate, and leaves a nice bitter, and like I mentioned before, somewhat metallic aftertaste. I liked the fact that this is a big stout, but not necessarily a meal in a bottle like many others. The drinkability on this one is what impressed me most of all. Where the fuck is the alcohol? I mean, I can feel it after having one small glass, but it is nowhere to be found in the flavor or body. That being said, this is dangerous stuff, as it goes down smooth and far too easy. Okay, so I guess my final verdict is that this is indeed the best beer I have had to date. Every iota of hype surrounding this beer is well deserved. Now all I have to do is convince a few of my friends to make the trek with me in the Spring to make it out to Dark Lord Day 08. Cheers and Happy New Year!

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to bubba87 for bringing this super treat over to our last brewing day.

The beer looks amazing coming out of the bottle! It was poured into a Sam Adams tasting glass. The beer was as thick as motor oil. The beer poured with no head at all. It was super dark brown and completely opaque. As you rolled the beer around in the glass it left a dark film that lasted for about four seconds. It looked sweet and dangerous.

The smell is complex with roasty scents mixed with aromas of dark chocolate, figs, prunes, and a bit of a sherry-like alcohol smell. The taste is a mixture of dark chocolate, raisins, prunes, molasses, and coffee. The alcohol is well hidden for a beer of this strength.

The moutfeel is the fullest I've ever had... nice.

This is very drinkable for a beer of this magnitude. It is definitely a "sipper" - and quite a treat.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased @ Dark Lord Day 2007

I finally got to finish off the last of my stash on Xmas Eve... a gift only I could give myself. Poured into a pint glass, I feel as if I'm under an old Mustang, letting the oil drip out into my glass. It has a dark, dark brown head that is gone in a whisper.

Smell is of coffee, chocolate, molasses and some fruits. Quite complex, in fact there's more going on here than I expected but I want to get to my first gulp.

Chocolatey, fruity, caramel, coffee. It's all here an in perfect harmony. A huge chocolate/coffee uppercut hits you first... but if you let it linger like a stolen kiss, the fruits come calling. Grapes, plums and cherries make a welcome appearance.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and extremely drinkable for its high ABV.

This is a no-brainer. Make your plans for DLD '08. Worth the hype and then some.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to Deuane for the bottle.

Pours a nice 1 1/2 finger head with decent lacing that fades fairly quickly Thick, dark brown color. Very viscous looking.

Smell is of pale and caramel malts. This is followed by mint, raisin, and black licorice. I also notice some chocolate malts and some roasted malt undertones. Hops are faint in the backround.

Taste is delightful. The flavors blend wonderfully. The chocolate malts are dominant with a significant balance from caramel malts. The hop bitterness isn't overly assertive at all and is just enough to balance out the thick syrupy sweetness of this beer. Oh man, yummy. Not that boozy for a 13% abv beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

For a 13% abv beer, you can't get more drinkable

2.93/5  rDev -31.5%

2007, silver wax vintage. Obtained in a trade from nflmvp (thanks!).

A: (4) Dark, oily, and thick as can be. I haven't seen a thicker beer pour from a bottle ever. Not even older viscosity. No head present at all.

S: (3.5) There is enough chocolate and sweet malt in the smell to make me somewhat enjoy it, but it doesn't blow me away. There is a sort of sourish smell, maybe like soy, that is somewhat off-putting to me.

T: (2.5) Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt (though not ridiculously roasty or anything) and the slightest coffee aftertaste. Has a distinct tanginess to it which I don't like at all.

M: (4.5) Smooth as can be. No carbonated burn or abrasiveness. I think it left a half inch thick coating through my mouth and entire GI tract.

D: (2) Didn't like it at all. Didn't want to finish solely based on the taste, I just didn't like it. This is one of the few Russian Imperial stouts I've had that I didn't like.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Shared with dertbert who acquired it via trade from bradlikesbrew.
2007 Edition.

A - Best looking beer I've ever seen. Poured out an opaque, jet black color. It had an extremely bubbly, caramel colored head. It didn't leave lace, but it left a residue that was difficult to wash off.

S - The aroma was dark chocolate and caramel. A candy-like sweetness.

T - A nice smooth maltiness with great dark chocolate flavors. Also, a nice blend of caramel malts. It did have a touch of grassy hops.

M - It had a warm alcohol presence. It was velvety smooth. A very heavy-bodied beer.

D - This is very outstanding. I understand the hype. The flavors were amazing. But, hands down, it was the best looking dark beer I've ever seen.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle Inspection: 2006 Vintage. Gold wax takes some work to get through. 13% abv. lets you know this one doesn’t play.

Aroma: Dark, almost bourbon barrel notes with hints of charred wood. Deep roasted barley and booze. I’m reminded of Triple Bock, but without any soy sauce, just deep, dark, heavy, and alcoholic.

Appearance: BLACK with swirls of smoky head.

Flavor: Rich roasted malt, burnt coffee, dark fermented fruit, plum, grape, with a sweetness like maple syrup in the back end.

Mouthfeel: Very dry finish after a thick coating of the tongue. The medium body seems strangely light given the taste and appearance; I guess the alcohol thins it out a bit.

Overall Impression: Quite the experience. Worth the hype? Hard to say, but very enjoyable.

Thanks to chadspivey for his very generous sharing of the experience.

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Got in a trade with czoch75 back in May and have been cellaring till now per FFF's recommendation. Poured from a 22oz bottle with a silver wax seal and cool graphics into a pint glass. I have to agree with other reviews that it pours like motor oil or thick syrup. It was pitch black even against a light. It had just a tiny hint of head and that was gone in a blink of an eye. The aroma was strong on alcohol and dark fruits at first. Got some strong smoke after a couple minutes but then that faded into the back. By the end, alcohol was the most dominant. The taste was also dominated by alcohol. Very reminiscent of cough medicine. There was some sweetness at the start of each drink but then the alcohol overpowered it. I've had several RIS lately and really liked several but this one is too much. For me, they need to scale back the alcohol taste and add back in some more traditional RIS flavors. For me, this one is overhyped and not worth recommending unless you can easily get it. Disappointed is best way to sum it up. (3, NA, ML, N)

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one, though i think i can get partial credit for driving his ass down to dark lord day this year. :) thanks eric!

22oz bottle topped with silver wax. 2007 vintage.

pours like motor oil - opaque black with a small fine red-brown head. the head drops very fast to a ring around the glass. the beer sticks to the glass like glue, forming a thin red layer over the glass.

aroma is great. alcohol. caramel. molasses. roast. milk and dark chocolate. coffee. orange and tangerine. fresh and inviting, just begging you to take a sip.

taste is great. caramel. molasses. honey. alcohol. orange and tangerine. bit of grapefruit. big biscuit malt. milk chocolate. coffee. roast. lingering sweetness, but not quite sticky sweet.

mouthfeel is good. low carbonation level. big chewy body.

drinkability is good. very well balanced, hiding its alcohol well. maybe a touch overly sweet, but not quite to the point of being sticky sweet. great stuff. looking forward to seeing how this one changes with time.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

HOLYCOW!!!! apperance is like changing the motor oil of a V.W. after ten years of abuse, and has the same vicous apperance. First smell: "Oh my lord, what have i gotten my self into?" HOPSS! (yes two "s") and sweeettt malt, very sweet. First taste is very heavy in the mouth. Sweet and bitter simultaneous some how. The beer and brewing Gods have graced the earth once again!

Go see for yourself! If you can get a hold of it. It’s like buying Rolling Stones tickets.

Rare and pricey.

2005 bottling, sealed with bright orange wax. Acquired courtesy of a trade with dmeadows -- many thanks.

Tenebrous pitch. Inky black with a scorched mocha froth head. Vinous blackberry, smoky cocoa powder, molten chocolate brandy, and fresh roasted espresso aromas. Incredibly intense flavor: dark fruits at first, with bourbon-soaked Bing cherries and stewed plums predominating; then firmly bitter dark chocolate, at once smooth and bitingly sharp; finally, an unbelievably long finish of roasted char and heady dark coffee malevolence. An unvanquishable yet sophisticated alcohol presence lingers throughout the entire sip. The mouthfeel is ponderous and glass-smooth. Overall: paradigmatic. A titan among imperial stouts, the experience truly leaves me in awe.

[Enjoyed while repeatedly listening to Soulreaper's "Written In Blood" as a tribute to the most evocative review of Dark Lord ever written -- a review that is, sadly, no longer available for us to read.]

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Aromas of chocolate, coffee, molasses, some Belgian candy, plum bread, and tons of alcohol. The flavors blend into a smooth chocolaty velvet across the tongue. Not a lot of bitterness, but tons of middle of the road sweetness. The sharp bitterness comes through in the end, but it is only a tingle. It is a way smooth beer, and has tons of complexity to it.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Silver wax 2007 version. Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter on 11/16/07 to celebrate the GF visiting!

A: Motor oil. That's what it looks like. Used motor oil. It is thick and viscous and there is no head or bubbles whatsoever. A lot of strong RIS's tend to look like this.

S: This smells a lot older than it is. I would believe that this had been aged for 10 years if you told me so. It also has a ton of maple syrup right up front. Behind that there is come chocolate and brown sugar. It's a great aroma but doesn't make me think of an RIS, more of an Old Ale. The alcohol is obvious.

T: Not what I was expecting at all. There is a bunch of flavor in there but it doesn't make me think of an RIS, just like the aroma. There is dark chocolate, some cherry, and a bunch of wood. It ends bitter with a bunch of alcohol.

M: Thinner than I expected. I like thick stouts but this isn't one of them. It is still heavy bodied, but I want it thicker.

D: I'll be honest...this was a bit of a let down. It's a great beer, but not worth the immense hype. The body won't increase with time, but the alcohol presence might be reduced and that would improve the taste.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours like 10W30 with a dark chocolate head. Not lace so much as the beer actually sticks to the sides of the glass. This is a thing of beauty. Smells of big chocolate, very roasty, some maple and minor alcohol. Taste is incredible. Very roasty, sweet chocolate, maple and vanilla and a slight alcohol finish. Velvety in the mouth with ABV almost non existant. A pure delight to sip away. Sex in a bottle.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

2007 Vintage
Pours jet black...pure black with very little if any head.
Aromas are maple syurp, dark brown sugar and alcohol.

Flavor is a little soy sauce but then as it warms much more dark fruits like dark raisins and prunes, very dark roasted malts without any bitterness, vanilla, a little maple, and then the alcohol. Dark chocolate flavors evolve into powdery cocoa.

Mouthfeel is very thick, creamy and smooth.

Aftertaste is warm alcohol, dark fruits, and a bit of chocolate.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to wcudwight for the chance to try this beer.

The beer is completly black. There was a fair tan head that lasted a while. Some lacing. This is what I think a big RIS should look like so I think a 5 was well deserved here. The smell is chocolate along with coffee and oatmeal. The taste reflects these smells and there is no hop profile to be noticed. This is a very malty brew. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy. A nice lasting aftertaste. The drinkability is good. The abv is well hidden and the beer becomes more complex as it warms. This was a nice choice for a cool fall evening.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours like a chocolate syrup. Completely opaque. Thin wispy burnt mocha colored head that is short living.
Smells of rich dark chocolate almost like a chocolate burbon. Also a hint of beef jerky in the aroma.
Roasted fruit flavors. Cherries. Molassas. Sweet tasting. Reminds me of those liquer chocolates. Alcohol warms the belly. The best thing about the taste is the forever lasting roasted aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is thick. Coats the mouth and stains your teeth. My teeth look like I've been smoking.
For such a big ass beer it's drinkable.
Not the best beer I've had but it is good and I recommend it.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

22 ounce bottle recieved in my first trade with beertracker, thanks a lot for giving up this hard to find brew

2007 version with silver wax covering tope of the bottle, aged for a total of six months, which seemed to do the trick, even though I could not imagine this one tasting any stronger

Drank this for my 350th review and the special occasion, could not make it until my birthday to drink it, sipped on it for over two hours tonight while watching some horror movies

I will start off by saying that was the most complex and darkest beers I have ever had, every word of hype was true and it was simply great

Poured into my Westvleteren chalice with a pitch black color and a monsterous super dark tan head, darkest I have ever seen, it was about 3/4 inch but seemed to settle after a few minutes, this beer stained my glass and shirt when I spilled on it becuase it was so thick and black

Smell was full of coffee, both cappucino and espresso, lots of chocolate, roasted malt, you name it, it was there, I do not see any other Russian Imperial Stout ever comparing to this one, Stone's is close second, sweet smell like dark candy

Taste was very unique and there was a ton of different things going on, lots of dark fruit including figs, prunes, raisins, berries, etc., significant amount of syrup and molasses, ton of cocoa and malt, with a very slight bitterness in the finish, so so good, taste was very sweet but not overkill, left a coating on my lips like I was drinking a hot chocolate but instead it was a cool extremely dark beer, could not myself eating anything alongside this, except maybe dessert, but this pretty much was a milkshake as far as caloric count and thickness goes, taste was very smooth and sweet while being fruity and malty at the same time, A+

I would have gave this drinkability a five, but it is so heavy, other than that it is very easy to drink, the taste sticks around for four to five minutes after each sip and continues to attack the taste buds, could have drank another bomber of this and just skipped dinner, this was pretty much a meal in itself, the thirteen percent also packs a serious punch but you cannot drink this fast enough for it to really affect you

This is by far the best beer from Three Floyds Brewery and one of the best beers in the world, not even judging my its number two ranking here on the site, it is as gooa as everyone says, I would love to be able to go this celebration in the upcoming years, but Indiana is a very long way away for beer, hopefully get some more in a trade in the future some time

I am very thankful for being able to try this beer and I recommend this above any stout out there, the only problem is tracking it down

This is one serious beer and I wish it was brewed year round, but its exclusivity almost makes it taste even better

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a 2007 bottle received in a trade from the very generous ClockworkOrange. Big thanks!

It pours black as night with what starts as a thin mocha colored head that rises from the bottom up. This retains for a few minutes and settles back to a thin layer. Very low carbonation, basically looks like still used motor oil. I heard rumors in the past about this one coating the glass; well, let me tell you that there is a brown stain on this baby now that it's gone!

Smell is very interesting. More sweet malt and less roasted scents compared to others within the style. Plums come through along with sweet coffee and chocolate. A little black licorice and the faintest hints of alcohol rest beneath. It really does have a port wine aroma, which is lovely. Molasses like a mutha, too. It doesn't scream RIS but there is just so much to the nose.

Taste is about as unique as it gets. Again, it's not that big and bold roasted profile that I'm used to. While there is a roasted character, this beer is very sweet yet dark at the same time. Dark chocolate drenched cherries become more apparent. Some grassy like hop presence tames the sweetness. Coffee again contributes and helps round it out. Too much going on here to explain but it blends together for a perfect flavor.

A nice thick and chewy mouthfeel. The sweet darkness coats the tongue with minimal alcohol burn that only shows slightly when swallowing this tasty goodness.

Truly a sipper than can be enjoyed for hours. I split this with a good friend of mine and we both slowed to a near halt compared to the pace we had reached before this night cap. In fact, he put a few ounces in the fridge and I just consumed it over twelve hours later. Still as good as when it was first poured.

Perfect for a special occasion. Definitely not a regular but this deserves its praise in my book. For sure a big standout for its unique qualities and one of my favorite beers. If only it was more available and $8.99 or so a bomber, I'd be all over it.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

My sister picked one up for me at Dark Lord day this year. Thanks, sis! I'd been sitting on it for a couple of months now, waiting to share it with a beer geek buddy of mine before he moved away to Seattle. So he and his wife had some folks over to there place this past saturday, and we cracked it open then. What a great going-away present for both of us.

Honestly, this beer, by appearance alone, scared the crap out of me. It pours a a pitch black color with (and I'm serious here) motor oil consistency. Not kidding. It says so on the label, and it's not a joke. It has a dark brown fizzy head as well that's almost non-existent. The thing that freaked me out, though, was the dark oily film that they beer leaves on the glass as it recedes. This is a serious freakin' beer.

The nose is sweet, with burnt chocolate, raisins, smoky bananas, fig preserve, molasses, vanilla, and some other fruits. It's all over the place, and I honestly don't think any written review could ever do it justice. The taste is sweet as well, with more of the same: vanilla, slight molasses, strong dark cherry, fig, raisins, dark baking chocolate, and a nice coffee bitterness. The mouthfeel is syrupy but smooth. Chewy. A lip-smacker, for sure.

The Dark Lord is better as it warms up to room temperature. It's a heavy, heavy beer - perhaps the heaviest I've ever had - and is not designed for casual consumption. It's the perfect beer for a time of celebration. Like New Year's Eve. Or when your buddy moves to Seattle. It's definitely something you want to seek out and try at least once in your life. It's well worth traveling long distances to try.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Bought two at my local liquor store. They are 6 months old now, so I'm sure they smoothed out a bit. Though, I'm storing the other one for another year.

It pours pure black with an average sized chocolate brown head with an aggressive pour.

It smells of coffee/espresso with a touch of alcohol.

Starts of very smooth, with a good amount of slightly burnt coffee, but ends with a sugary like sweetness. The mouthfeel is very syrupy and thick. Like drinking a bottle of Ms. Butterworths.

The drinkability is above average, because it's a very great tasting beer, but it is far and away a session beer lol. It's sometimes hard to swallow because how malty and thick it is. It likes drinking a meal. This beer is not for the impatient, your going to have to dedicate some time with this beer. It's a very slow going experience.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.