Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Reviews: 1,261 | Ratings: 4,146
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

This is somewhere between a stunning imperial stout and a publicity stunt gone awry. The beer itself (2007 vintage in a 22 oz. bomber) is as impressive and RIS as I've ever had, with all the 10-weight oil thickness and head that can float a Buick. The flavor is darkly sweet and somewhat fruity, balanced more by the roasted grains than any hops bitterness. I knocked down the drinkablity not so much because of the beer itself (I expect a super-RIS to be quickly sating) but because of the decision to package this beer in 22 oz. bombers. About halfway through the 22 oz., finishing the bottle becomes more tiring than pleasurable. A 12 oz. bottle would be a far more appropriate serving size.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

This is the first Dark Lord I opened from my 2007 Dark Lord Day stash. I poured it into pint glasses, the beer's appearance rates a perfect score. Pitch black color with a massive but short-lived tan head. When I swirled the glass the head turned orange, and coated the glass with dark orange sheets.

The aroma was strong imperial stout, really similar to some strong ones from Michigan (Bells Batch 7000 or Founders Imperial Stout). Mostly I could smell the sweet malts and alcohol, I really didn't detect the cherries, molasses, or plums promised on the bottle. The flavor was STRONG, burnt malt and some chocolate along with burning alcohol, very similar to Batch 7000 in my opinion. The mouthfeel was really thick and is the defining attribute for this beer imo. It coats your mouth and keeps you tasting the beer long after each sip.

Not the best beer in the nation in my opinion, but one of the best russian imperial stouts I've tried. I was disappointed not to find any sludge at the bottom of the bottle, other people have complained about it and I wanted to try it on some ice cream.

Someone was cool enough to share a bottle of 2006 Dark Lord at the brewpub on DLD, and my impression is that 2007 is much richer and stronger flavored. But, I was drunk when I tried the 2006...

Thanks a million to mynie for this trade
Tasted on 5/11 with three friends and neighbors
Well I finally found my perfect 5. This beer was incredible, and I thought it lived up to all the hype surrounding it. I have been reading that the 07 has too much sediment and you don't get a full beer, but my bottle was perfectly fine. This stuff is so viscous it is nuts. I wanted to really savor the bottle, but everyone wanted another sip right away so the glass only lasted about 15 minutes. Amazing. My roommate and I giggled like little girls the whole time we were drinking.

Awesome beer

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

I went to DL day 2007 and bought my bottles. This is the first one I've tried. It also happens to be the day that I am completely finished with my undergraduate career.

That said, I poured it into a 23oz pilsner glass (not recommended) in order to celebrate finishing school. Pours like used motor oil, syrupy, deep brown/black. The head that forms was quite small, brown in color, and lasted for awhile.

What an aroma. The smell of fruit, cherryish, along with coffee and malt smell combine for one the most complex yet enjoyable aromas I have sampled.

Tastes just as good. The RIS qualities shine through, with other flavors of vanilla, cherry, and other fruits, as well as coffee, and chocolate. I could find so many other tastes in this.... but we don't have all day.

Feels fairly good in the mouth. Very thick, good amount of carbonation. Warming aftertaste, but not too warm.

Drinkability is OK. I had a lot of trouble finishing this bomber. It was so thick. yet tasty. Don't try this on your own. Get some friends together, and pour 5 oz samples.

As for the hype... this is the most unique beer I've had. Completely different from Stone RIS or Bell's expidition or victory king. There is something here that can't be described in these terms. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance. Is it worth $15 a bottle though? Now thats a tough decision.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with silver wax obtained at 2007 DL day. Shared with two of my buddies. Pours out pitch black like burnt motor oil. Man this stuff is thick. Forms a head that is thick and brown.

Smells of coffee, alcohol, sweet malt, and dark fruits.

Taste...WOW!.. Big sweet roasted/burnt malt. Dark fruit and alcohol mix and finished with bitter coffee. So big and complex, but so well balanced.

Overall... This is one amazing RIS. This beer is great and almost lives up to the hype (which is pretty damn good considering). Definately a beer to try if you can get your hands on one. I think the others I bought at DLD will age very nicely.

Mouthfeel is huge full bodied. Creamy and thick. Very nice.

Drinkability takes a hit from the pain it is to get this beer. Also I don't think this a beer that you finish a bomber yourself. The big alcohol makes this a sharing beer. Also $15 a bomber makes it pricey.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2005 bottle split with a couple friends. Initial smell from the bottle was very good. Appearance was dark black with a small tan head that faded fast. There really was not one distinct flavor that I could pick out. The flavors really seemed melded together. The mouth-feel was viscous, sticky, and thick. The alcohol was completely hidden, maybe the aging helped. Overall, this is a really good beer but don't get caught up in the hype.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Drank last night from the '07 stock.

A: Pours like motor oil, but somehow blacker and thicker. A nice small brown head that left a ring around the glass. It leaves a film coating over every inch of the glass that it touches.

S: Heavy plum scent with a coffee and alcohol smell when you really get your nose in it.

T: Cherry and port wine is my first thought on flavor. As it warmed a bit more I got more and more chocolate and hints of coffee.

M: Coats your entire mouth and leaves a great aftertaste. I could still really taste it 30 mins after I was done with the beer.

D: There was so much going on with this beer it was like a tastebud workout drinking the whole thing.

I got my limit on DL day and I think those will last me until DL Day 08. Overall I think it lives up to the hype, and it's a really amazing beer.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Oh my God...Here it is...The Darklord has finally arrived!! From DL day 07' Here it goes...Pours the absolute darkest of any beer I've seen...It is beyond black. And I can already see the it's thickness. Huge dark head, three fingers, with amazing retention...Lovely puffy lace that sticks permanantly to the side of the glass. After a few sips it becomes evident that there is a thin layer of film coating the side of the glass. Beautiful...

Smells of sweet malt, burnt chocolate and there is a strong scent of a fruit I cannot completely put my finger on. Very powerful, possibly plum with a hint of cherry background.

Tastes incredible...Roasted sweet malt up front, plum, cherries, wine flavors, slight cherry...Almost no hop flavor other than in support of all the others in the mix. Great balance and complexity..Finishes with a burnt caramel coffee flavor.

One hefty ass feel in the mouth...Motor oil, cream, espresso...Thick, warm, sticky...but, it's not thick to the point of foaming creaminess in the mouth, and it's not overly syrupy. Very nice consistancy.

I gave this wonderful beer it's lowest rating in drinkability for a number of reasons. Only being available once a year, and yes...it's high price, on one side...High alcohol content, and the fact that it's extremely complex and very rich as the other. It is an excellent beer, but it's definitely a sipper...You've just gotta be prepared for it!!!!

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer is an outstanding Imperial Stout: inky black, intensely aromatic, slightly sweet, and tremendously viscous-feeling in your mouth. I thought it might be dry roasted "burned pizza crust tasting" like Alesmith Speedway Stout, but this is good in a completely different kind of way.

The beer pours a very thick, pure stream of blackness topped with a small and very dark tan head. Aroma is some bourbon-ness, a fair amount of coffee, some sweet alcohol esters, and a hint of cherry. Flavor is exceedingly smooth, and it subtley builds to a very full yet not overwhelming coffee-ness. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and viscous, like delicious motor oil.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

I owe a great thanks to Nchrist13, Nick, for bringing me this bottle from Dark Lord Day 2006. I kept this beer in my fridge for one year and cracked it on Dark Lord Day 2007 in honor of the event.

Appearance is as described on the bottle. Engine oil body with a fomenting carbonation that creates a brown, bubbly head rising from the depths. Lacing is minimal but each swoosh of the glass reinvigorates the head. It persists beautifully for the duration.

Complicated aroma. Lots of molasses and candied dark fruit, coffee, chocolate, boozy cherries, plums, currants, caramel and vanilla.

Equally complicated flavor. Lots of molasses. Very sweet but balanced by those lovely FFF hops. Tons of fruit. Vinous and diverse with most every dark/black fruit one can think of and hints of the tropics. Some Belgian tropical/fruity/yeasty booziness. Cappuccino and French vanilla. Pine resin in the finish.

Warming on the throat but not burning. Mysterious mouthfeel. Sweet and smooth then bitter and harsh. Warm and comfy then intense and challenging. Molten. Public Enemy are liars. Believe the hype

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

2007 version.

A: Pours with the consistency of junkyard engine motor oil or incredibly thick cough syrup. The cascading head has to be seen to be believed. Shockingly pitch black with a small and creamy head that looks like the color of espresso crema with rust sprinkled on top of it.

S: Huge sweet nose of rum soaked raisins, plums, and blackberry preserves. Also noted were cherry, vanilla, a touch of bitter coffee, and a slight undercurrent of alcohol.

T: Tart cherry and chocolate strike me right off the bat. Then comes the huge dark fruit sweetness. Bitter espresso appears briefly at the finish along with some bitter sweet chocolate.

M: This baby is so thick and rich, it coats everything in the mouth (lips, teeth, tongue, everything!) like latex paint.

D: So incredibly complex, this is definitely not a beer to be trifled with. The alcohol is very well hidden but by the end of half of the bottle you are already looking for a place to lay down and by the end of the whole bottle, you're lucky if you can even find out what the hell happened to your pants. Yeah, it's that good.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks goes out to hero27 for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Silver Top
2007 Vintage

Poured into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale tulip a thick clean/clear black color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tannish head, only some tiny islands left over. The nose is of slightly roasted sweet malts, hops, toffee, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and some caramel. The taste is very nice indeed, consisting of very sweet thick/oily slightly roasted malts, slight hops, licorice, toffee, slight coffee, vanilla, and caramel. The alcohol is present at first sip then the sweetness comes into play, leaves a nice warm feeling in the throat. Full body, a pretty complex RIS. Very drinkable, I really like this brew, I say it lives up to the hype for sure, highly recommended. Not too much difference in the vintages. Thanks again Eric.

Thanks goes out to CRJMellor for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Gold Top
2006 Vintage

Poured into a chalice a thick clean/clear black color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tannish head, only some tiny islands left over. The nose is of slightly roasted sweet malts, hops, toffee, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and some caramel. The taste is very nice indeed, consisting of very sweet slightly roasted malts, slight hops, licorice, toffee, slight coffee, and caramel. The alcohol is present at first sip then the sweetness comes into play, leaves a nice warm feeling in the throat. Medium body, a pretty complex RIS. Very drinkable, I really like this brew, I say it lives up to the hype for sure, highly recommended. Thanks again Craig.

2.92/5  rDev -31.8%

Bottle courtesy of Tpaliga (2006 vintage drank in April 2007): Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small foamy head with average retention. Aroma of honey and sweet malt is overwhelming and somewhat interesting. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some alcohol hint. Body is full and has a creamy and oily texture like I have never seen or tasted before. Low carbonation is to be expected but the alcohol really comes out and I didn’t enjoy this part. Some subtle vanilla and roasted malt were noticeable but were for most part covered by sweetness which kind of got gross after half a glass. This beer kind of reminded me of Avery Meph with the dominating sweetness and alcohol. I’m glad that I finally had the chance to try this highly coveted beer even thought I am not the biggest IS fanatic out there but unfortunately I wasn’t fond of it in the end.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Big thanks to the venerable trader that is afatty for this bottle, 2006 vintage.

a - pours thick and black as motor oil, one-finger brown head with little retention and lacing, a look that just screams big stout

s - big aroma of dark fruits, lots of plum, black cherry, raisin, some bittersweet chocolate and hints of dark roasted coffee, definite alcohol presence

t - starts out a bit sweet with lots of dark fruits, plum is predominant, body has a lot of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, finish has more dark fruitiness, slight hoppiness, alcohol notes, and a lingering taste of bittersweet chocolate and coffee, divine!

m - full-bodied, just the right amount of mild carbonation for a big stout, moderate sweetness mitigates the dryness of the finish

d - for a huge stout, this is quite drinkable, palate isn't destroyed at all after a bomber, if this wasn't so damn hard to get, I could sip on this all night

Call it hype or whatever you want, this is one damn fine beer...one of the very best I've tried. It lived up to all the hype for me. Well worth seeking out, regardless of what it takes.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 bottle. Ah, the venerable Dark Lord. Glugs out of the bottle with the darkness and viscosity of motor oil that hasn’t been changed in 30k miles. An inch high whipped mocha head rises to the surface and sets up in the glass, clinging to it with an oily, almost bacon greasy ring. Damn, this is some crazy looking stuff. Aroma isn’t over the top, but I’m definitely picking up some big roasty malts, bittersweet chocolate and molasses . The coffee seems to hit more in the taste, along with some caramelized raisins, vanilla and rich maple syrup/molasses. There’s definitely a lot going on here. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and full bodied without next to zero hotness. An impressive stout for sure. Does it live up to the hype? Partially. But I think you can pick up some other impy stouts with 90% of the quality/characteristics of this one for far less $ and difficulty. Nevertheless, the Dark Lord is worthy of at least a pedestal next to the throne.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle of ’04 courtesy of the very generous TMoney99. Appears dark brown, almost black with absolutely no head to speak of. This is a very viscous liquid. And I mean very viscous. Just a slight swirl of the glass leaves a coating covering the entire inside of the glass. It does pretty much the same to the inside of your mouth. Taking over and coating it more and more with every sip. A very well put together beer that has many ’o flavors going on. Some very smooth chocolate and high end coffee. The alcohol was subdued and refined due to the aging. Not as hot or dominating as a fresh bottle. A truly incredible beer, that reminds you every time that you drink it, why it’s this highly rated.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

2007 batch according to Nick. Cask conditioned pour at Night of the Living Ales. This is my 3rd sample. It pours a sinister black color with absolutely no light coming through. The very minimal head falls to nothing. This one looks like darkness. The aroma is very nice, with a forceful dark fruity fig, a mild alcohol and a sweet chocolate all in excellent balance. The flavor is strong in the fruity fig with a coffee bitter and very mild chocolate in the aftertaste. As it sits on my tongue, the fruit hits again followed by a nice pine hop. Balance is fantastic. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth with no carbonation. It has a light syrupy character, but it is mild enough that it works well. Overall, this beer is very nice. It blows the 2006 out of the water, hands down. I'm excited to see the bottled version in a few months.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours dark black with a couple finger buttery tan and pumpkin colored head that slowly recedes. Aroma is a nice bourbony ris aroma with some roasty coffee notes and a sweeter dehydrated fruit, appley aroma. Sweet chocolate flavor hits the tongue first, followed by a apple wine like flavor that slowly grows and finishes slightly tangy, with some anise, some warming alcohol, and some coffee flavor. Every once in a while I get a strange fishy, somewhat salty aftertaste as well. The beer is very soft and silky smooth, the body at some points feels very heavy but at others feels medium. Very good imperial stout, the alcohol is extremely well balanced and definitely creeps up during the 22 ounces. 2006 vintage.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

If left alone, the head on this beer would be discovered by Marvin Martian in 2535 AD. It just *sits* there, brown, fluffy, stolid. Aroma of a good port or Ximinez sherry alongside roasty malt. Alcohol not only apparent but inviting. The Lord invites you into his chambers...

And SMACKS your ass. Starts out insanely velvety and soothing, with a sherrylike sweetness melding with a port-like alcohol, then a licorice-like flavor cuts through, never sharp, just adding complexity. Raisins and dried prunes/figs abound, yet somehow remain subdued. How? I don't know. These flavors combine with what appear to be residual hops that somehow managed to escape for a huge, dark, sweet assault on your palate. One of the most envelopingly smooth brews that has ever crossed my palate. Drinkability is limited by "there's only so much I can take before getting terminal hiccups" and the sheer weight of the thing.

Astonishing - thanks to JeffKrenner for hooking me up with this amazing brew, I'll be here for a while...

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

This beer was tasted in a tulip glass from the 22oz bomber.

This beer pours jet black with a creamy tan head that dissipates to a ring leaving a little lace. The smell is very sweet with coffee and cherry. The taste is very very sweet with soft coffee notes and cherry/dark fruits. The mouthfeel is very thick and creamy with even carbonation. Overall, it would be hard to drink a full bottle of this on account of the sweetness, but it is still tasty.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

This is an experience. I feel honored to have received a taste. Blitheringidiot is the man!!! =)

Appearance: Pours absolute black into my tasting snifter. My little serving had little head but that is to be expected. It had a dark tan chocolate colored frothy cap and a collar around the glass.

Smell: Sweet black molasses, alcoholic bourbon like attribute. Dark fruits, burnt malt, coffee, licorice and port are all part a rich and luscious nose.

Taste: I bow to the Dark Lord. There is a reason for the demand. Dark Lord is all that people claim it to be. It is rich chocolaty fudge with caramel molasses berries woodiness boozy vinous alcoholic delight that takes over your entire palate and maintains it grip long after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Huge body, silky silky smooth and warm with alcohol and spices it is better than heavenly.

Drinkability: It doesn't take much to realize this is a beast to be reckoned with. I suggest sharing a bomber. I suggest sharing a bomber with me ;-) to be more precise.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

[EDIT] -
After obtaining my share this year I cracked into a bottle as fresh as possible a few days after getting home. I shared this beer with phnphilly and bookert last night. It was AMAZING. The pour is midnight black and motor oil thick with absolutely no head on the beer. When I swirled it in my glass the viscous liquid literally stained the glass brown. The swallow in warm but the massive rich oily smooth feel coats every inch of your mouth and then some. Perfect!!!

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Have had this several times from trades.

Wow, what a pour. Deep brown ink and motor oil with a creamy finger of coffee bean colored lace, quite dense. Giving it a swirl shows great legs down my glass. Aromas of chocolate covered cherries, burnt toast, madeira and cocoa waff up from my chalice.

Quite the treat on the palate. Warm chewey earth flavors of figs, raisins, charred dinner rolls, cocoa, molasses with warm alcohol on the finish. I also detected faint anise at the end. Quite viscous on the tongue, heavy and lip smacking chewey. A true sipping beer. This is a fine RIS however i think the price is a bit prohibitive. Don't get me wrong, this is a great RIS but i can get 3 Stone RIS for the price of this one and be just as happy. You do have to try this.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

2006 Vintage with gold dipped wax neck. Received in an in-person trade from AlohaC while on my Honeymoon in Hawaii. Opened to celebrate a job offer in the brewing industry!

Appearance: Very, very black. Ruby and copper shines through but only at the edges when held to the light. Mocha colored head fell away quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Wow. There's an amazing aroma of chocolate, cherries, prunes and molasses. It's a lot like a tawny port.

Taste: Many of the same elements that came through in the aroma come through in the taste. The first thing I noticed was a port-like sweetness followed by prunes, molasses, and chocolate. There's a definite alcohol warming upon swallowing that continues for some time afterwards.

Mouthfeel: Very viscous; full-bodied and smooth. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: I love a good RIS and this one definitely fits the bill. I've been saving it for a special occasion and I'm glad this was waiting. I can't imagine drinking it on a regular basis as it's so much like a port but for today, it's perfect. I hope I can get another soon.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

A wax-sealed 650 mL 2006 version from a long-ago trade with Nickd84. This is cracked in celebration of my 30th birthday (one day late).

A: The ale pours with a thick viscous oily appearance. The head is not so thick, but there is a nice mocha-colored band of head at the edge of the glass. Nothing escapes the darkness of the ale.

S: The aroma is chocolate, brown sugar molasses, burnt toast and big citrusy hops. A lot of aroma, especially in the hop department, for an impy. There is also a very strong alcohol presence.

T: The stout is a big thick mess, with mess being a sincere compliment. There are roasted malts, deep and dark with chocolately undertones. Some brown sugar sweetness, a lot of dried sweet fruits, some slight coffee dryness, and burnt toast, evn some hints of mint. The flavors come at you in one big rush; it forced me to take several sips and let them sit in my mouth just to isolate the flavors. The flavors come together in such a rich, dark manner that it tastes like the whole beer is burnt malts. Finally, there are a strong hops that kick up near the end, providing a citrusy pine element that holds the whole beer together.

M: Even at a year old (almost) the stout is very hot. The flavors are so intense that some aging could add a nice subtlety to the stout. Even fairly fresh, the ale is intense, a true imperial stout designed to withstand any voyage.

D: A stout this big is so filling, so delicious, that one is more than enough (not to mention the disgustingly high ABV knocking you out). The consistency is so big that one could easily chew it. I am impressed that the flavors blend together seamlessly, preventing any one flavor from overtaking the whole.

This beer is an absolute beast, a truly inspired brew that is worth any cost. Nothing else that I've ever had has provided such a depth.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

A- I poured this a little hard and get a 1/2" dark tan mocha head. It had a pitch black body. When held to the light couldn't see any light through it. There was very little lacing left but had a little collar that left little bits on the glass.
S- Some dryer hop smell maybe grassish. Roasted malts and bit of coffee. There is a hint of a metallic in it also.
T- This is a very rich flavored beer. It may be the richest and strongest flavored beer I have had. Bit of coffee and roasted malts. Flavors are well blended together. So strong it is almost a molasses flavor. Very complex. Has a great deal of hops to help balance out all this malt (still malts win the fight by a lot though). Still can't really taste the hop flavore just the bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Has a big chocolate flavor also. Alcohol leaves a warming in the back of throat. It starts out light and actually grows into a big warmth.
M- Big full body that's smooth and somewhat creamy too. Low carbonation to top it off.
D- This is an amazing beer but I can't see me drinking this often. I could see this for maybe 2 special occasions a year (if it was easier to get). It is just so strong in flavor and so rich it would be a struggle to drink it often.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.