Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016
Green with silver glitter = 2017 - New Label

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Ratings: 4,266 |  Reviews: 1,284

2015 "Vintage" Dark Lord that the forced on people in 2017 did not age well. It smelled and tasted like straight soy sauce. Disgusting.

1.24/5  rDev -71%

2009 bottle acquired via trade

A - Motoroil like thickness that clinged to glass when swirled, small head

Smell - like burnt peat moss, totally turned me off

Mouthfeel - undercarbonated and way too thick and viscous

Taste - I'll take someone's else descritiption because it right on "like chewing on brownie batter", more like burnt brownie batter

Overall - Terrible and I don't understand the hype but to each there own. I could hardly get this beer down.

1.25/5  rDev -70.8%

1.28/5  rDev -70.1%

2008 vintage bomber at cellar temperature, poured into a snifter. Massive thanks to Mauerhan for hooking me up with one of the "big boys" in only my second trade.

Pours dark as hell, but with hardly any head and even less lacing. A thin skim of tan disappears quickly, leaving a ring of isolated bubbles. No lacing at all, but it leaves "legs" like a big cabernet.

Massive prune, dark fruit and raisin aromas. Incredibly boozy. Exceedingly sweet. Hints of tobacco and sherry fight to make themselves known, but the fruity/boozy combo dominates. No burnt or chocolatey malt?

OK, obviously I'm in the minority here, but this stuff tastes terrible. Not "disappointing". Not "meh". Not "somewhat lacking". Terrible. The overwhelming raisin/prune/alcohol combo is joined by additional sweetness- toffee, molasses, chocolate-covered cherries. Lots and lots and lots of sweetness. To a much smaller degree, I get some smoke/leather/tobacco, which together create an effect that's very reminiscent of soy sauce when paired up with all that tangy/sweet stuff. No significant dark/burnt flavors, pretty much nothing that screams "badass imperial stout", or even "mediocre imperial stout". Joins Creme Brulee in an elite group of beers that have made me contemplate the morality of a drain pour.

On the positive side, man, what an incredibly thick and chewy body. It's coating and clingy like few other beers I've tried. Almost zero carbonation, though, which only serves to accentuate all that sweetness.. If there were some roasted flavors lingering, I could somewhat overlook the flatness, but all that lingers is sweet/tangy raisin and plentiful alcohol. Well, that and the temporary urge to swear off beer for a while.

Overall impression: Not a beer I'd seek out again. I realize that rarity/hype/degree of difficulty in obtaining can obscure objectivity to some extent, but I'm astounded that this has an A+ rating with almost 600 reviews. A complete mess, IMO.

1.3/5  rDev -69.6%

2014.....
Soy Sauce. Flat as fuck.
Burnt Molasses, soy sauce. I need to get my blood sugar checked. My first "true" drain pour......Glad to say I tried it, but I will certainly warn others of the dangers of Dark Lord

1.44/5  rDev -66.4%

1.54/5  rDev -64%

2009 vintage into a glass. I've gotten so many bottles of this (big thanks to busch03, Hexxed, badbeer, and tprokop7 for making that happen), but I keep giving or trading them away. Finally got a chance to try one for myself. Split with my girlfriend, who loves sugary sweet RISes.

First rating: D- (2.1)

---

Second bottle (2009) opened to split with a buddy. He loved it, but it was even more abysmal than I remembered. Scores have been downgraded.

A: Pours a pitch motor oil black in the glass. No edge penetration or browning. The head is a limpid half-finger of dark brown bubbles, with maybe 30 seconds of retention before vanishing completely. No lacing down the glass. The second pour out of the bottle was even more viscous, and left tons of oily-looking residue down the glass when I swirled it. The final pour (don't scroll down, you'll spoil the surprise!) produced some sludgy sediment that scared the hell out of me. Is this beer half solid?

S: Dark fruit is heavy on this one -- lots of plums, some dates and a small berry character that I couldn't identify. Molasses was very heavy, and so were brown sugar, roasted malt, and chocolate. Couldn't smell any coffee. Could use some contrast... this was over the top sweet.

T: It's like someone poured syrup into my mouth. Lots of plum and date on the initial taste. Mid-taste is mostly brown sugar, molasses, and chocolate. Roasted malt, burnt raisin, burnt caramel, and again plum on the finish, with a boozy burn that reminded me of a cheap, syrupy wine. I could detect coffee bitterness underneath, but the flavor was Sweetness turned up to 11. In small quantities I might give this a 3.5 to 4, but even splitting a bomber 3 ways was too much.

M: One of the thickest, most full-bodied brews I've ever had. I swirled it in my mouth and it seemed to sludge up my teeth. But the carbonation was TOO low, even for an RIS -- just a hair above flat. Detracted from the flavor and allowed the beer to become too syrupy and mouth-coating. Also, there's a boozy burn as I mentioned above. There's no subtlety or craft to this beer at all. It's like being sledgehammered with malt and booze. Christ.

D: And the coating, by the end of the bottle, was just disgusting. My girlfriend and I split the first glass, and she was done about 20% of the way in. I gave 1/3 of the second glass to my buddy, who echoed the "too sweet" comments I had bouncing around in my head. I finally drizzled some on vanilla ice cream and tried to consume it that way, but I couldn't handle the sugar. Wound up pouring out the last 20% of the bottle. Could not finish. Undrinkable by definition.

I hate to be "the guy" that pours out Dark Lord, but what a cloying, syrupy, sickly sweet mess this beer was. I just could not bring myself to go any further into the bottle. I really can't give this anything above an F considering that it's so expensive and I had to drainpour TWO bottles (in other words, the "possibly bad bottle" excuse doesn't apply). What a trainwreck.

1.56/5  rDev -63.6%

Pours black in the glass with a frothy khaki head that has good retention looks mildly viscous leaving spotty lacing

sweet,coffee chocolate

EXTREMELY sweet kinda of a mess cant really find coffee,chocolate,or anything here

Mouth feel like a melted milk shake

Overall this beer wa god awful extremely over hyped and I just don't understand it. IMO the trade value here is for a bud lights platinum

1.68/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.68/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

1.75/5  rDev -59.1%

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.