Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Reviews: 1,271 | Ratings: 4,197
4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Shared with friends as part of a KtG/DL blind tasting.

A-Pours a deep jet black with a thin brown head with a little lacing.

S-Licorice and roasted malts predominate. Also hints of coffee and chocolate with just a bit of alcohol.

T-Delicious, complex flavors. A bit sweet throughout but lots of interesting flavors also. Coffee, dark chocolate, molasses and dark fruit all come through. A bit of alcohol but well hidden for the ABV.

M-Very rich and thick with light carbonation. Nice.

D-Only if you are not driving. But if you are not driving, by all means have two.

Like Kate the Great, this really does live up to the hype. Can't wait to try another one in a few months.

HV

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

I opened up my first Dark Lord (green wax 2010) about a month ago. The 22oz bomber pours a thick syrupy black color into a snifter with almost no head. The smell is of sweet dried fruit and a huge amount of burnt sugars. The taste is full and mouth filling, very oily a little hot but then you get the coffee vanilla chocolate and a huge finish of burnt sugar sweetness. This is a huge beer, amazing and gets better with every sip. Wow I’m happy I have more of these, because it totally lives up to the hype and from what I hear it gets better with age!!!

A - pours a deep, dark black with about a 1/2 finger head

S - smells of sweet, rich chocolates with some very sweet vinous qualities.

T - whoa. Starts off with rich milk chocolates that fade to sweet, syrupy cherry flavors. Following the upfront sweetness Dark Lord transitioned into some vinous flavors. My tongue was next bombarded by some dark chocolates and a load of coffee flavors. Finishes with a blend of espresso and dark chocolates. This has a very bold, rich flavor profile that is more sweet than roasted. Exceptional.

M - this was medium to full bodied with a modicum of carbonation. No alcohol detected whatsoever.

D - This is easily one of the best RISs I have ever had. I can see why this beer has a whole day dedicated to it and why people stand in line for hours just to obtain a couple of bottles. I was pretty fortunate to come across this bottle and have found a beer that has raised the bar for other beers to reach.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

I want to give a special shout out to my brother in law for picking up the vintage 2010 version for me last year at DLD. Thanks Jaime!

2010 version:

I split this one with my wife tonight. I'm sure she's sick of me talking about it all the time... so the least I could do is split it with her.

A: About as black as outer space without any stars. After a hard pour, I summoned up a two finger or so mocha head that stayed afloat throughout the session. Beautifully dark!!!

S: Maraschino cherry juice, licorice, molasses, teryaki sauce, and quite a bit of the FFF taste profile shining through. I could smell "Alpha King" lurking inside the sludge!

T: Candy-coated booze (in the way that FFF does it!), sweet candy sugar, molasses and then some, cocoa, and tons of dark fruit... actually not that dark. I got tons of cherry in there also.

M: Thick as oil... and I truly mean that! The carbonation level was VERY low, but this was totally appropriate. Very sweet, but it was in a candy-coated sort of way. Sure it was syrupy and coated my mouth and then some... but God bless it for that!

O: FFF makes so many truly incredible beers that it's hard for me to call this their crowning achievement... but it is.... at least one of them. Believe the hype, because Dark Lord is the real deal!

2006 gold wax

Much thanks to my brother for standing in line in the rain for 2 hours for this one. Had one bottle of it on the eve of his wedding a few months ago and have finally decided to break open a 2nd one. 2 left in the cellar for future tastings.

Pours a deep dark black color but it has a brown tint to it when held up to the light. A fine bubbled dark tan head foams up with the pour and quickly drops to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell is huge. Expresso, dark chocolate, dark fruits, bourbon. Just a rich overpowering smell that makes you crave that first sip.

The taste dosn't dissapoint. Rich roasted coffee beans, deep dark chocolate and just an overall thick full taste. A little bit of smokeyness comes through.

Actually not as heavy as i expected on the mouthfeel. The alcohol shows itself but isn't obtrusive.

Drinkability - well it certainly isn't a session beer, and that is the understatement of the year. It is a real sipper of a beer and one you can sit and enjoy. If you have a chance to taste this beer you must try it. Is it worth the hype, maybe. Is it worth the $15, definately. Don't pass this one up if you are lucky enough to grab one.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Smells of booze, but don't know what kind. I got Notes of Rum and bourbon, sweetness, and finally warms to espresso.
A: Pours black w/ chocolate colored head. Quickly dissipates, leaves no lacing.
F: Sweet and fruity up front w/ slight umami and soy sauce notes. I believe that cantaloupe was also used to describe at this point. If it wasn't cantaloupe, it was some kind of melon on the back end.
M: Oily and slick, goes down smooth w/ a slight alcohol burn. Finishes boozy
O: I'm now a believer that the hype is real. #DLD2011, here I come!! Definitely buy enough to drink through the ages. 25 year Dark Lord? Yes!!

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Big thanks to Kegatron for sharing this bad boy with me.

Pours a thick, motor oil viscous and black color with very little burnt wood tan head, no retention, no lacing, but there is a grease layer, beautiful. Bottom of bottle has a chocolate syrup type sediment, which oddly enough, made an evil face in my glass, must be the Dark Lord himself. Smells of burnt embers, milk chocolate, baking cocoa, coffee, and dark fruits. Lots of flavors going on here. Taste starts off like a creamy chocolate milkshake with some black cherries and a touch of semi-sweet chocolate on top, but just as you're sitting down to a nice dessert milkshake, you're reminded that you're drinking pure evil, and with an assault of coffee and espresso, you're brought back to reality. Lots of heat as it comes to room temperature. Creamy and smooth, any fuller in body and it would break the glass. Only downside, the alcohol presence as it warms takes away from some of the taste. One of the best beers out there, and while some may say it's overhyped, it deserves its honors. If only it were more readily available, I'd drink this stuff as much as possible.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2009 dark lord had on 6/16/2013 at craftheads in Tokyo.

Pours like motor oil with no head. Almost black but a lttle brown comes through.

Smell just a little booze big dark fruit a vanilla notes. With a little chocolate in the background. A little oxidation from the 4 years of age.

Taste big coffe bitterness yet sweet vanilla and bakers chocolate shine through. No booze in the taste.

Feel almost silky smooth with the right amount of carbonation.

Overall awesome beer that was perfectly aged and ready to be drank.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Deep, dark, very viscous. Pours very slowly, with a thin tan head and nice lacing.

Smell: A simple swirl unlocks chocolate, coffee, smoky fruits and alcohol.

Taste: Holds even more suprises than the aroma, more chocolate and coffee, a even harder hit of smoke and alcohol with notable cherry.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and very velvety. A delight to all the surfaces.

Drinkability: Would have recieved a 5 were not for a above average ABV. As much as I'd absolutley love for this to be an everyday beer, it is an "special occasion" only due to price and my envy for it.

This is very well the best beer I've ever had, prior to this I had a scattered love for deep stouts, but this brought me around. It is simply too good for someone not to try at least once. Were I to have a final meal, this would be my choice of beer, bar none.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

A-Pours very black and fairly thick with a very nice 1/2 inch, mocha brown head which dissipated rather quickly, but kept a nice carbonation ring around the top edge of the beer throughout consumption; definitely more carbonation then I expected from a 2008. Small amount of lacing left on the glass.

S-Very sweet and rich aroma, definite hints of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, molasses and maybe some vanilla and cherry.

T-Very much like the aroma, it’s very sweet. Hints of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, molasses and maybe vanilla giving the sweetness. A very nice balance of sweetness vs alcohol with the sweet vanilla carrying over on the backside.

M-Body is full, smooth, and again with nice carbonation for such and aged beer. Very easy to drink. The alcohol is pretty well hidden, but you do notice it, which I personally like, but still doesn’t taste like a 15% ABV beer.

O-This is an amazing beer! Very familiar to the Goose Island BCBS stouts, which I love, but I have to say I like this better!

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

My 100th review been holding on to this awhile figured this was a nice milestone beer to review.

2009 version with white wax seal poured into my St Bernardus chalice.

A - Dark black with very little head had a nice fizzy top though which settled quickly.

S - Even before pouring into the glass the aroma from the bottle hits you warm chocoalate goodness.

T - Unreal taste of a rich hot chocolate, wife felt it tasted like chocolate exspresso beans some raisons in the background this is definately worth the 5 I gave it so good.

M - Warming chewey, big feel really nice.

D - I gave this a 5 not so much that you would want to drink a bunch at once however so delicious I would have to seek more out.

-Update-

It has become apparent that the bottle I had for this review was a bad one. Having tried two more, I’ll change my rating.

In a word, it’s flawless. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this beer and it‘s quality is fantastic. There’s nothing but green apples, port and chocolate. Very nice. I’m thinking the soy sauce I got in the reviewed bottle was a fluke. The flavor in this one was delectable lacking only slightly in smell. I’ll have something more substantial up next time I crack a bottle.

2006

This beer pours a dark black that fades to dark browns and burgundies when I swirl it around in my tulip. The head is the darkest I’ve ever seen on a beer that is dark tan and rust. This fell to a thin film but was instantly replenished with a swirl. Marvelous!

Smelled of big sticky sweet prunes and raisins with a little banana and traces of malty hoisin sauce. There’s also a slight dry dark chocolate and a crisp coffee with a well blended but obvious alcohol burn.

Tastes of huge and creamy charred barley with an overly sweet and tangy dark fruit, brown sugar, coffee and a hoisin/ soy sauce earthy funk. The pure corn syrup sweetness of this beer sadly dominated the flavor. Bleah! Finished with a bit of coffee leaving my mouth reeling from the sweetness.

The mouth feel was big, thick and syrupy with a full mouth of bubbles at first when it was cold. But when it warmed, the carbonation faded away leaving this syrupy and a bit offensive.

Too sweet!!! Also, there’s too much alcohol on the nose. I’m a bit disappointed. This one needs to sit for a while longer. I sincerely hope this one gets better with age, or that I had a bad bottle.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours thick, black. Immediate boozy smell but 2014 finished very sweet with chocolatey but fruity taste. I would have rated higher but it's a little sweet this year. Looking forward to Dark Lord Day in April!

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

First of the '07 batch, opened to celebrate beer, life, and masters degrees. Thanks to Janice and aforbes10. Probably not quite ready yet, but hey, I can always re-review it after it's had the proper aging.
Pours out a super opaque black with dark brown fringes. Sludgy, syrupy, chunky. Dark brown head looks nice but fades quickly. The lacing has chunks in it. This is some serious beer. Nose is sweet strong malts and alcohol, with campfire and coffee. Complex and nice. Taste is sweet sugarcane smoked malts, oak, plums, vanilla, and spicy bourbon. Alcohol is very well hidden. Exceptional.
Mouthfeel is good. Certainly way above average, but probably the weak point of the beer. Doesn't taste as thick as it looks. Drinkability is surprisingly and dangerously high.

I can't wait to try this again in 7 months or so.

*EDIT*
I've now had a few different batches of Dark Lord over the years. The 2007 (silver) batch tasted in late 2008 (about 16 months of bottle conditioning) was the single best beer I've ever had. I also had the 2007 more recently (2013) and it was pretty muddled and not nearly as good. Some of the newer batches, like 2012, don't seem quite as good to me. That being said, every time I've ever had Dark Lord it was exceptional - if a one-year old 2007 is the pinnacle of beer, a 2012 is still in the top 5% of beers.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Satan would be impressed. Dark Lord is black as black can be and possesses a head that is scorched a deep, rustic brown. The colour scheme is at once unique, daunting and curiously alluring. If ever the dark side needed a spokesman, surely, this would be its poster boy.

This nose is too wicked and wrathful to think Cthulhu didn't have a hand in making it. Hops, bourbon-soaked wood, elderberry, sooty dark chocolate, charred malts and a scornful (but pacified) alcohol heat combine to make an intense and overwhelming bouquet that most people would not recognize as beer. I feel like it would be sinful to take a sip...

But I do anyhow. And in doing so I find a lingering cranberry bitterness, notes of black licorice, piny hops, flavours of roasted malts and bitter cocoa. It tastes quite distinctive. Although this is not barrel-aged nor does it contain a single drop of bourbon, I again find some semblance to the intense, vanilla-y flavours and the dry woodiness found in bourbon barrel-aged offerings. It is also thick as heavy cream, and twice as rich.

This is not a beer for calorie counters! Its engrossing, complex distinctiveness and rich, sensual, decadent flavours are sure to make every chocolatier, pastry chef, coffee roaster, master blender, vintner and, indeed, brewer, quite jealous. The fact that it's holding up so well after two years of aging is impressive, but also expected.

Digging my way through the bottle's black wax I felt like Howard Carter penetrating the tomb of Tutankhamen. Indeed, Three Floyds' Dark Lord does possess a similar kind of mysticism and veneration. Legitimately obtaining a bottle requires some combination of a mecca-like pilgrimage and Willy Wonka-like golden ticket. For one day the brewery doubles as a site of cult worship. And rightfully so. Believe the hype - praise the Dark Lord!!!

Dark Lord 2007:

Well, I turned up the bottle and a thick oil oozed out. There was a slight brown head that decided not to stick around. The aroma is a complex blend of caramel, raisin, coffee, alcohol and chocolate - it is seductive. The taste is a mixture of raw molasses, raisins, brown sugar, and just plain old love. This beer sticky with an alcohol bite. It begs the question - is there another.

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

WOW. This beer afflicted pain, in a good way, on everyone of my taste buds. Very strong, I wouldn't be able to drink a 750ml by myself.

A friend brought this over for me to try, and now I have vowed to attended Dark Lord day every year to replenish my stock until I die.

Yellow wax - 2011

A: It looks deep & dark. The light from our campfire cannot break through my glass. The thin, soft, brown head left just as quickly as it appeared leaving that signature oil-slick on the surface.

S: You know its dark lord when you smell it. Unlike anything else, it's got a deep sweet smell. Cherries and molasses overwhelm, but you can tell the coffee is there. It is very inviting, and the complexity of the smell is just a small introduction to the...

T: Taste is, again, like nothing else. The cherries, molasses, coffee, and some hints of chocolate make a great team. The sweetness pervades throughout and stays the entire time. It is of no particular fruit (or sugar) - it's just sweet. Some dark lords I've had, be it because of improper aging or some reason otherwise not specified, are so sweet it is undrinkable. This one, although sweeter than 2008 (my favorite) is still very very good.

M: The velvet mouthfeel is something every stout wishes it could grow up to be. It drinks like a milkshake - unbelievable - but in all the right ways. It goes down easy, and the coating left behind in your mouth and throat leaves a great sweet aftertaste.

Overall: Like that one guy said while interviewed for 5 seconds on CBS news - "It's Sweet! It's Delicious!!" This beer truly lives up to its hype in every way. It is not the greatest thing I have ever put in my mouth, but hell yes is it worth fighting for tickets online or in person at the brewery, traveling to the pub, and spending a day among friends enjoying its release.

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

Had this beer at a local tasting in bottle had both 08 and 09 bottles, for sake of simplicity, I will be reviewing the 08 pour.
Pours a deep dark black body with a beautiful kahki finger length head.
Smells of cocoa, roasted chocolate malt accompanied by a beautiful dark carmel roast backbone. Hints of cocoa and slight coconut along with some coffee hints that are very faint but just enough to give it another layer of punch. Good cocoa nib character and layers upon layers of rich chocolate malt all complemented by strong floral hops.
The mouthfeel is something I want to take a bath in, it's amazing.
I love this beer, if you like dark beers it's a must try, if your a fan of RIS, you would rather cut off an arm then not drink this beer sometime in your life!

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

If you like sweet stouts, this lives up to the hype. If you don't, it wont. I do. Particularly notable is a maraschino cherry note that is thoroughly enjoyable. The fest they throw is usually pretty OK too.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Fresh 2006 bottle with cool new gold wax seal. This year's batch was brewed with IntelligentsiA coffee. Pours from the bomber a thick, viscous used motor oil black with a sturdy half inch of dense dark tan foam. Sticky, spotty lacing on the glass. Looks damn good to me! Aromas are huge with dark chocolate and dark fruits, especially cherry. Roasted coffee notes invade the nostrils and intice me even further. Exceedingly complex, I get hints of vanilla, molasses and a huge roasted maltiness. Green hops are there but serve mostly as a nice backdrop. Awesome...not much more I can say.

First sip brings a thick blast of dark, roasty maltiness. Chocolate and espresso come together alongside a deep dark fruit presence, with cherry coming to the forefront again. Notes of vanilla, caramel and some nuttiness. Green, cirtic hops hit on the way down are nice and well placed. A slight alcohol warmth as I get through the first glass. No doubt, this in an amazing brew. This year's version is intensely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy with a rich maltiness. Smooth and suprisingly easy to drink, I'm gonna enjoy the hell outta this bottle, a definite sipper. I'm happy to report that I love this year's version easily as much as the 2005 version. I'll be cracking an orange waxed '05 bottle soon to see how it's holding up. Dark Lord reigns supreme in my book.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

2011 Bottle split between 3 friends.

A- Pours very dark brown with a very small amount of brown head.

S- Smells of roasted coffee, chocolate, cherry

T- Sweet and dense. Chocolate and espresso coffee on the front, followed by green pepper, and finishes with molasses & cherries. More acidic as it warms. Can't believe this is 15%, hardly any heat.

M- Super thick. Coats the throat and sits on the tongue. No boozey burn.

O- This was the first big sweet stout I tried and it was great, just messy and all over the place with very strong flavors. Can't wait to see what a little age does to it.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

A - Thick dark brown liquor, syrup like.

S - A strong smell of coffee and mocha.

T - A taste explosion in your mouth, sweet syrup, nice mocha and caramel flavors. Spicy after taste but no bitterness and some wine like tones.

M - It melts on your tongue.

O - In simple words; what a great beer. Thank god for this beer and I would thank him twice if I could buy this beer at my local shop.

Thanks to BA Buddy 'Brabander' for letting me taste, this beautiful and exceptional beer.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

A big thanks to hero27 for this one. I traded a westvleteren 8 and 12 for it. I had a bunch of westies so I figured it was worth it.
I got the bottle about a month ago but saved it because I was buying a house and thought it would be a great house warming beer.
Closed on the house friday afternoon and moved in all evening into the night. Finally when my wife and I were finished moving, I popped this one open as we sat among all our belongings boxed and bagged and scattered all over our first house.
The aromas were absolutely amazing. Deep, rich, coffee, chocolate and roasted malt aromas. As well as hops and alcohol.
Appearance was a beautiful jet black, motor oil crude.
Taste is just off the charts. Comparable to Stone's Russian Imperial but more hop tastes, and more alcohol warmth. The Lord is also fuller bodied than the Stone Russian (which was my favorite beer until tasting this one). Some slick, oily, thickness. Slightly syrupy.
Overall I actually believe that this one lives up to the hype. It's a big beer! The availability definitely adds to the mystique but after drinking this one I was a true beleiver. I may even trade my new house for a couple cases.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

2010 vintage. Massive thanks to JimboHD2005 for the bottle.

Before I say anything else, I have to get this out of the way - holy shit what an awesome beer. Now then...

Pours a dark brown, nearly black body, but not completely opaque - there are somewhat translucent highlights. Head is brown and of moderate size. A brisk pour generates a reasonable amount of head, but it quickly fades to nothing. No lacing. Appearance is good, but not exceptional. Given the huge ABV, I'm inclined not to deduct too much for the modest head.

The nose is fantastic. Dark fruits, chocolate, malt. And the taste follows suit. Actually, I take that back - the taste is even better. This thing is the heavenly nectar of the imperial stout world. So sweet, with layer after layer of chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt, etc. It manages to be intense without being abrasive - which most stouts like this can't claim. It's like it takes the best parts of every imperial stout I've ever had. The taste is intense, yet absolutely delicious. Phenomenal sweetness, without being cloying. You might be inclined to say this is a dessert beer - but I certainly wouldn't want to try to drink one of these after eating a big meal - this thing is HUGE. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect - I wouldn't change a thing. Full bodied, thick, perfectly carbonated. And I must say, I was stunned when I came here and saw that it weighs in at 15%! I mean, you have no doubt this is a big beer when you drink it - but considering that ABV, it's expertly hidden. You know there's alcohol there, but it's not offensive in the least.

In sum, good lord what an awesome beer. I had high expectations for this thing, and it completely blew them away. I'm absolutely floored by this brew. Wow. Just wow. Delicious.

This is the best beer I've had in my life. I'm not even sure anything comes close.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.