Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Green with silver glitter = 2017 - New Label

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

#658

Ratings: 4,306 |  Reviews: 1,294

Too sweet for me. Big disappointment.

Unfortunately Russian Imperial Stouts are not at the top of my personal list, probably for drinkability reasons. You have to know what you're getting into with these, and as a rookie beer drinker / brewer, I was in for a surprise.

There's so much hype about this beer that I did everything I could to get a hold of one in '09. It was well worth it. The mythical aura around it was the basis for a great experience and drinking it was the icing on the cake.

It is so dark and thick it's ridiculous. It's like a liquified everlasting gobstopper when it comes to flavor - there is just so much going on.

I split a bottle with a friend and I think even that was too much to handle. Again, that was extremely early in my beer drinking career. I was able to get four bottles of the '09 immediately after Dark Lord Day. Now I have three left in a deep dark place under lock and key... it's sitting there, growing, mutating, living, breathing, just waiting to explode back into the word. I can't wait to drink the next one but each day that goes by I pat myself on the back for letting it mature just a little more. Though I fear if I wait too long with that dark, powerful stuff... I'll only be left with a bottle full of diamonds.

Now I have 2010 on the way, what a wonderful time to be alive.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.27 out of 5 with 4,306 ratings