Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Reviews: 1,271 | Ratings: 4,197
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Had the opportunity to worship at the altar of the "almighty lord" at the Indiana Brewers Guild beer festival - many thanks to FFF for sharing a keg of it with myself and other attendees this year.

Pours thick and black with a cocoa-colored head that lasts. Looks a bit like a black chocolate milkshake. Aroma has hints of caramel, coffee, and light roasted malt. The most striking thing for me is not the flavor but the mouthfeel. What cream is to milk, Dark Lord is to beer. Huge body, silky feel on the tongue, thick, creamy and sweet but well balanced. Hints of port wine, chocloate, and light roast.

Really looked for forward to trying this beer to see if it lived up to the hype. Mixed feelings after having had it. On one hand, not sure anything could ever really live up to the extraordinary levels this beer has commanded. On the other hand, it is a most excellent R.I.S. Anyone interested enough to be reading this knows already, so I won't bother to say it's worth seeking- you already know that...

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

In a tulip:

Head is so dark! Two fingers in the tulip. It's only fault is
retention, which is understandable given the ABV. Dark dark brown, murky with particulates. Unbelievable aroma. Chocolate covered cherry smell is uncanny, with a touch of vanilla and alcohol (specifically bourbon). Hint of allspice as well. Taste has a cherry chocolate entrance with mocha finish and a strong coffee aftertaste that lingers for a good amount of time. Extremely well balanced. This is the thickest beer I've ever tried. Remarkably creamy. Infalliable carbonation. High alcohol, bitter, and flavor in general make this beer laborious on the palate, reducing drinkability substantially. Don't get me wrong though, I would drink a case of this if I could.

Overall: I'm reluctant to give 5's... ever. This beer moved me.

3.49/5  rDev -18.5%

First things first: thanks to deejaydan for the sample!

Ok, I saved this one until All Hallows Eve, the perfect time to commune with the Dark Lord.

Appearance. I'm giving a 3 here because, depending on where you are in the bottle, or how fast you pour, this has enough sediment in it to make it appear downright revolting. If you get a good pour and avoid all the sediment, it's an appealingly opaque deep chocolate brown with a thin caramel colored head.

Smell is solid. There's no confusing the heritage here, the smell is Imperial Russian Stout all the way. Chocolate, dark cherry, molasses are here, all the while backed up with the pungent, almost soy sauce, aroma you find in most Russian Imperials. (I'm not sure why/how this has been classified as an American Double stout by BA, but the bottle is labeled as Russian Imperial and the flavor profile doesn't disagree)

Taste is good as well. So long as you don't get a glass full of sediment this is a very pleasant Russian Imperial. Again you have dark chocolate, sweet molasses and black cherry. The aftertaste is pleasantly bitter, fading out the salty character and leaving a lasting bitter chocolate & molasses taste on the palate.

Mouthfeel is a mixed bag. Again, there's simply too much sediment. This goes from being a thick, decadently rich beer, to being syrup.

Drinkability gets the lowest mark, IMO. Between being a terribly potent, sipping brew, and having more sediment in the bottle than any beer aught, this just doesn't get me to want any more of it. In fact, I'm damn glad I had 3 friends to split the 22oz bomber with or this would have found its way to the sink drain before I made it half way.

Overall, I really don't understand all the high 4 marks. Try Siberian Night, or Stone Imperial if you're in the market for a great Russian Imperial. Something tells me people are giving this brew too many points for a slick presentation, brewer reputation, and BA anticipation.

Wyll-

2008 bottle. Stood in line for 3-1/2 hours for it.

Pours a black that light can not penetrate. It is a black hole sucking up light around it, it's so black. This is real motor oil looking. Pours out the same way oil looks when you pour it into your engine. Creamy chestnut brown head faded very quickly into a thin ring along the edge. There's no lacing but you can tell by the smell that the molasses is gonna stick to everything!

There's a great smell of molasses and dark chocolate, plum, cinnamon, a hint of cherry and there is absolutely no coffee at all. You can also smell the 13% and it does smell amazingly delicious with all that sweetness coming up with it. This is the big boy of sippers.

This beer is not for the faint of heart. you have to really be a serious Russian Imperial Stout lover to drink this beer. It's as if someone angel had added steroids to a regular RIS recipe. Yes I said angel. This beer is how WE SHOULD ALL KNOW god exists and he wants us to be happy.

Huge sweet molasses, caramel, dark bitter sweet chocolate up front, plum?/prune?, honey somewhere in the middle along with more chocolate (like frosting) and bourbon soaked cherry in the middle-end with a huge bite of sticky-gooey molasses in the very back of this bad ass MFer! Wow. And Wow again. So F'N good.

This beer is surprising smooth for such a big hitter. It's not completely full bodied but it's very close. I think it's a good thing because being just shy of full bodied may be why this is drinkable. It does feel like it has some thickness to it that can't easily be split up even in your mouth. It's what I imagined the feel (not taste) of motor oil would be.

This beer is way to drinkable. And that's both a problem and a good thing. It's a problem because this beer isn't available on your corner at your local store. So you savor each and every bottle and each and every sip, to the last drop. It's limited production is what makes this beer amazing. See if I could buy this beer regularly, I'd want to drink it every day. I'd also want a steak and a huge piece of chocolate cake to help me get my fix.

This beer is way too damn good! It's like crack but in beer form. You just can't get enough. And as soon as it's gone, You want more, and more, and more.

Can't wait for this one to mature in my cellar. Man I'm already thinking of how to plan my next trip to DLD. This beer is top notch! Thank you Three Floyds! mmm mmm good!

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Drank 6/25/11. Split w/ scottfrie and bbb099. 2010 vintage.

A: A deep brown, almost black color with virtually no head and absolutely lacking the slightest hint of lacing. It has a bit of the viscosity of used motor oil, but other than that nothing about it stands out too much.

S: Strong, sweet notes of caramel and alcohol. Definitely notes of roasted malt providing the body. The sweetness overpowers almost everything, but it doesn't detract from the overall character.

T: Ridiculously sweet, dominated by caramel, brown sugar, and dark fruit (might be a tad prune-y). Roasted malt provides a pretty stout (no pun intended) backbone. There is DEFINITELY a pretty good burn from the booze. A year (or 4) would be good for this.

M: Nothing earth-shattering and not much to sayhere, but very good. Smooth, yet chewy with good carb and a nice body.

O: Really, really, really, really, really, really good. I wound up with one glass. I'd have drank 4, and then been ridiculously drunk. That said, I'm a bit disappointed and I'mnot sure it lived up to the hype.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottle tasted with a friend after a trade with fellow BA jeff321.

Pour: Deep, dark black with a small espresso colored head that dissipates to the outer edge of the glass and becomes soap like until the beer is gone.

Nose: Sweet sugars, slight alcohol, slightly roasted malts, tootsie roll chocolate, slight caramel, slight dark fruits (plum, fig, and raisin), and soy sauce.

Taste: Intensely sweet sugar (like DDH WWS), soy, dark fruits (plum, fig, raisin), slight caramel, slightly roasted malts, dark chocolate, and no apparent alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Very easy drinking, especially for the large abv. The alcohol almost seems to be missing here, this doesn't burn at all. Slightly chewy but not overly viscous, an easy drinking high alcohol stout.

Overall: Glad to have tried this but it is so sweet, even with a year on it. Reminds me of WWS in SO many ways. The coffee tastes were very subdued and the roasted flavors were almost entirely missing. Not going to go out of my way to get this when I can get tons of Abyss very easily. Still a pretty good stout though.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

2010 bottle, thanks to tbart428 for splitting the bottle with me. Finally checking this one off the list.

A- Pours dark brown/black with a small light brown head. Head recedes to a small ring around the glass. There is some brown highlights to the beer near the head when held up to the light. Alcohol legs and nice lacing. Not a bad looking beer, but not as DARK as I always thought it would be.

S- Smells exactly like a Barossa Shiraz or a California Red Blend. The tannins from the grapes and oak you usually get with those wines is present in this beer as well. There is also some strong molasses in the nose, as is a hint of alcohol.

T- Caramel, molasses, Barossa Shiraz, wine and oak tannins, with just a hint of alcohol at the back-end. Nice warming feeling going down to the stomach. Alcohol is masked very nicely on this beer for being 15%, would not have guessed that high. Coffee begins to show up more and more as it warms. I like this one. Not a roasty stout, this focuses more on the sweeter flavors, yet stays nicely balanced IMO.

M- Full bodied and very smooth. Feels nice in the mouth. Not as thick as its reputation suggests. Feels like there is some high, sharp carbonation in the finish, but feels lowly carbonated in the mouth.

O- Excellent beer. It stood up to my expectations, but was much different than I expected. This is a wine with some beer characteristics, not a beer with some wine characteristics. I can't believe this isn't oak aged either, there is a large oak component to it.

Score 4.38

2010 Vintage Re-rate on Dark Lord Day 2012:

A- Pours dark brown/black with a small light brown head that recedes. Alcohol legs on the glass. Looks decent.

S- Lots of dark fruit like raisins, prunes, and other purple fruit. Light coffee and sweet creamer in the background.

T- General sweetness followed by molasses, then a purple grape and raisin character. Burnt caramel. Some heat on the finish with some coffee-like bitterness and tannins. Sweeter beer, but not as sweet as some make it out to be.

M- Smooth, full-bodied, but on the lighter side of full bodied. Not nearly as thick as many other big-time imperial stouts.

O- I personally liked this vintage at a younger age. At 2 years old, I feel this beer has already peaked IMO. While I really enjoy this beer, and have massive respect for what it did for the style back in the day, it has a hard time competing with the modern-day top-flight stouts IMO.

Score 4.33

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

08 Vintage.

Jett black pour, like motor oil or black syrup. Small brown lace forms for just a minute, then vanishes. Small oil pach lace remains in it's wake. Nose is full of sweet molasses, raisin, licorice, black currant fruits, mixed with charred malts and chocolate undertones. Very sweet aromas. Thick lush full on body. Huge roasted and charred malts lead in but not acrid in any way. Coffee, chocolate and burnt fruits follow thru mid palate. Small amount of bitterness on the end, with a spicy alcohol kick. This warms all the way down. Finish is long and complex, leaving a melange of coffee, roast, hops,dried fruits, and ethanol spice. A world class sipper for sure.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

2006 vintage, purchased at the brewery.
Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a snifter glass.
My vote for coolest looking label.

Pours a menacing opaque, black color, with no chance of light getting through. A nice half inch thick, dark tan head forms. Some spotty lacing. This beer is thick, and you can see it cling to the sides of the glass. Lots of big roasted malt aromas, dark fruits, dark chocolate, with hints of coffee and alcohol. Burnt coffee, is what I taste first. Sweet roasted malts, molasses, dark chocolate and dark fruits come next. Very complex, but easy to drink for such a big beer. Big, rich, thick and creamy all descibe the mouthfeel. You really don't notice the alcohol, after a few sips. Another one of those beers that tastes better as it warms. I'm sure it will take me all night to finish this bottle. Looking foward to trying this again in six months.

Thanks a million to mynie for this trade
Tasted on 5/11 with three friends and neighbors
Well I finally found my perfect 5. This beer was incredible, and I thought it lived up to all the hype surrounding it. I have been reading that the 07 has too much sediment and you don't get a full beer, but my bottle was perfectly fine. This stuff is so viscous it is nuts. I wanted to really savor the bottle, but everyone wanted another sip right away so the glass only lasted about 15 minutes. Amazing. My roommate and I giggled like little girls the whole time we were drinking.

Awesome beer

3.57/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

After all the fuss, what a let-down. The pour was good, with a nice full head. You could smell the roasted malts, but the taste was so overwhelmingly sweet I couldn't get past that. I see other reviews listing several flavors, but I couldn't taste anything but the strong sugary taste - it completely hides the 15% alcohol it is so dominant. Not a favorite.

3.01/5  rDev -29.7%

2012 vintage shared by metempsychosis on 18 August 2012

Appearance:
Black as your ex-wife's heart with a very thin tan head

Smell:
Sugary, chocolatey, fruity

Taste:
Very cloying, hard to find much else to taste beyond the sweetness. Surprisingly not much alcohol taste to it for such a young big beer.

Mouthfeel:
Full body, but little carbonation, quite sticky feeling

Overall:
I wanted to like this beer, but its cloying taste was too much; I had to force myself to finish the 3oz glass I had. The sweetness overpowered everything in the brew and it was too one-dimensional because of it.

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

2010 Vintage - Green Wax

Big thanks to my dad for getting me this one. We drank it immediately after I submitted my final MBA assignment.. It was a great way to cap off the program.

Appearance: the Dark Lord pours the darkest black imaginable. Completely opaque; no light penetration. The dark brown head dissipates rather quick.

Smell: it only takes one sniff to realize that this isn't your average Russian imperial stout. Huge boozy scents become almost wine-like. Port perhaps? Some roastiness in the nose as well.

Taste: Deliciously sweet. A complex integration of chocolate, coffee, dark fruits, molasses, charred malt, and a hint of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: very thick consistency. Remarkably smooth. The carbonation seemed perfect.

Overall: the Dark Lord came highly anticipated because of the hype surrounding it. That said, it exceeded my expectations. Brilliant stuff!

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Had the '07 version on tap at Three Floyds Dark Lord Day 2008.

A: Opaque dark black. Oily sheen. No head, just a rim of brown bubbles around the glass where a head would be. An oily looking film left on the cup.

S: Very sweet. Malt, coffee, dark fruits and chocolate.

T: Super sweet. Earthy. Chocolate, coffee and dark fruits. A definite alcohol presence.

M: The thickest beer I've ever had. Oily and velvety feel coats the mouth and tongue.

D: An awesome beer. Would be even better sipping it out of a snifter rather then the plastic cup it was served in at Dark Lord Day.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%

In honor of glazeman.

S:
Dark Lord Imperial Stout is a 6 month old RIS with a past history significant for notorious long lines, high ABV, awesome label art, tricky online ticket sales, and being the original hyped up brewery-only released stout. He presents to my Westvleteren snifter this evening in honor of glazeman's 100th review.

O:
smell: dark roasts, figs, chocolate, vanilla, sweet candy
appearance: small head that quickly fades to nothing, thick thick thick oil that coats the walls of the snifter - EXACTLY what an RIS should look like. perfect.
taste: sweet dark chocolate, vanilla, bitter roasts, and a tiny bit of piney hops in the finish. rich, thick, intense, and incredible. just what a true RIS should be.
mouthfeel: thickness and carbonation are both spot on.
drinkability: for 15% ABV, this is extremely drinkable. don't be fooled by the nay-sayers - i could drink a bomber of this myself - no doubt about it.

A/P:
6 month old RIS presenting this evening for glazeman's 100th review. DL is probably the most heavily disputed beer on this site. Many love it, many hate it, many complain about the lines, tickets, etc. Many simply just don't like to admit that such an amazing beer can come from northwest Indiana. Well get over it, people, DL is as good as it gets - one of the best beers I've ever had.

- continue to attend Dark Lord Day every year
- continue to support my midwest breweries
- continue splitting this bomber with glazeman for his 100th review

This plan has been discussed with my attending.

airohead2001, MS3
Pager# 12345

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

Big thanks to Andrew for the trade. I never thought I'd get to try this one.

Pours dark but not completely black, a translucence while pouring. Not much head. The bottle is from 2012 and we're tasting it in 2013.

Smells boozy, hot. Molasses, prunes.

First taste: really thick and syrupy, very sweet. Tingle-bursts on first taste.

Second taste: big malt, slightly bitter, fairly long finish. Port wine.

A little sticky sweet for my tastes. There are better balanced Russian Imperials that I think I prefer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

2010 vintage - olive green wax
22oz bomber poured into a duvel tulip
This beer along with another have been sitting in the cellar for a long time, opened this puppy up at a little tasting held last weekend along with some college buddies. Lets see how it did...

A: The Dark Lord poured a mean pitch black black. No light is EVER going to come through this beer. Had a small dark mocha head, about one fingers worth.

S: There is alot of roastedness in there. Pretty sweet smelling beer as well which is interesting for such a big RIS. Chocolate and coffee are big factors in the smell. What really brings the sweetness up is the dark fruit character that is present - something i have never smelt in a imperial stout. Figs, raisons, plums. Very interesting. Also some alcohol heat as well

T: THIS BEER IS BIGGGG. Following the nose nicely, this beer has alot of coffee, roasted malts and chocolate characters present. Again, the beer has a wierd dark fruit thing going on thats pretty interesting. The major draw back to this beer? - Sweetness. This beer is over the top sweet almosting cloying. Bring down the sweetness and this would be a stellar beer. Alcohol plays another big factor in the taste of this beer. Pretty boozy with some sips.

M: THICK THICK THICK like maple syrup, thought they put used motor oil in my beer. The thickness is kind of nice. Carbonation is a little low but what would you expect from such a HUGE RIS? Alcohol is high, a little hot and almost border line overboard but not quite.

D: A little above average with this guy, pretty huge RIS that would be very hard to put many down. Also a little bit to sweet for my liking, but great flavors are packed into the beer. Pretty impressed.

Weekend tasting results: Out of the only three RIS's we had in the entire tasting, beer finished 3rd following Bourbon County Brand Stout and Ivan the Terrible.

2.55/5  rDev -40.4%

I just came back from vacation and had to post a review of this brew. I have been looking forward to it for the past 6 months, saved it for a great weekend, and wow was I disappointed.

Vintage 2011 (yellow wax)

Brew pours a beautiful color- midnight with some off-white foam. I was surprised how quickly the brew condensed down to just the beer though- bubbles were gone! I guess that 15% was clear from the beginning!

Aroma is a very nice- marshmallow fluff meets coffee and caramel, plus some oaky tones. Really nice smell on this brew.

Taste was awful. It was likely drinking a bottle of soy sauce. I thought maybe it was too cold, so we let it sit for a little while. Still tasted like soy. Then changed glasses, still tasted like soy. Finally, we had to pour it out. Also felt like it was not nearly as dense as expected, especially in flavor profile.

Maybe it was the youth of the beer (about a year), maybe it was just a bad bottle, or maybe this just isn't my brew. All I can say is there is NOTHING from Three Floyds that has gotten below a 4.5 overall rating from me so far, but Dark Lord did.

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From tasting notes 1/21/11, with fellow BA'a AngryNucleus and BeRanger. Beer #6 of the night.

2011 vintage, yellow wax. 6 oz. pour into a Founders snifter.

A: Black with a lot of red hues. A half-inch of off-white head sitting atop motor oil. Beautiful.

S: Such an odd combination for the nose: pepper-jack, chocolate, and maybe some soy sauce.

T: Chocolate and chili powder. This reminds of chili or good mole sauce. There is so much going on in here that it's tough to pick all of the flavors out. For a 15% beer, where is the booze? It's concealed well by the dominant peppery flavor.

M: Sticky, sweet, and full. This really is like motor oil. It coats the mouth fully.

O: Dark Lord is unlike any imperial stout I have ever had. I have had the 2011 3 times now, and it confuses my taste buds every single time. I am not afraid to admit that I don't fully get this beer. All I know is that I enjoy it's unique flavor profile and the challenge that it provides every time I drink it.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

2008 vintage.

Pours motor oil black and thickness. Coffee colored head a finger thick, then flattens out to an oil slick surface. Nose is alcohol and plum, notes of coffee and espresso. really enticing smell.

taste is quite powerful. all coffee in this one. cappuccino flavors give way to espresso bitterness. some notes of caramel. mouthfeel on this beer is damn near perfection in glass. 13% is extremely well hidden with only a hint of the heavy booziness at the end. really impressive beer. this beer is world class and worth seeking out. i can't imagine what this beer would be like with a couple of years on it.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Everytime I've described a beer as looking like motor oil has been a lie. THIS is a beer that looks like motor oil. No head whatsoever. This beast is far too dense for a head. It has its own gravity and pulls any head into itself. The glass is absolutely stained yellow after drinking. Epic. Smell is hugely complex and awe-inspiring. Smells like the best coffee, the best brownie, brown sugar, and some dark fruits thrown in for good measure. I'm amazed that the taste actually meets and surpasses everything promised by the smell. Mouthfeel is massively thick. After swallowing, it's like my entire digestive system up to and including my stomach is coated with this stuff. Normally, with such a huge beer, I'm a bit more conservative with dropping a 5, but I would have this anytime I can.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First and formost, I love Imperial Stouts. I was at the 2005 release of Dark Lord and acquired a case of these. I did not want to fall into or be influenced to 'follow the crowd'. So I have waited, and patiently consumed THREE (3) of these over time; checking 'quality and consistency' within this one batch (and thats the story I am sticking to).

The bottle opens with a faint Pfffttt. Served at cellar temp (68 F) the beer pours with a deep garnet highlights to a rich black background.
A small (1 finger) rich tan head on the glass.

Smell is sweet, roasty, malty, coffee.

The taste is rich & complex; roasty, coffee, carmel, chocolate covered raisins, blended hops. Its Mel Torme, Al DiMiola, Frank Sinatra, and the Who in concert together. It is brandy like, with an occasional alcohol blast peaking out from behind that huge malt bill.

The mouthfeel is thick and smooth, full, viscous.

You really have to love Big Beers to drink this. My wife will not touch it. It is much more drinkable than it is available. The price is a bit over the top, but it undoubtably is packed with first quality ingredients, care and nurturing and just costs that much to make.So that helps pace the consumption; otherwise I would drink it all the time, and it would become 'normal' which is NOT what Three Floyds is all about !

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

2010

A: Pours dark and thick. A pretty heady beer, with a mocha colour on it. Looks delicious.

S: It smells of dark chocolate with roasted coffee, molasses and a raisiny/fruity complexion, and definitely alcohol.

T: Very complex. At first, the fruity/rasiny quality is present, followed by the dark chocolate and coffee. Very layered. Finishes with the alcohol.

M: Very thick and creamy. The alcohol burn at the end is noticeable at the end, yet i find it to be fairly smooth.

D: This is a beer to be shared, that is for sure. Fantastic flavoring. Worth every minute that I stood in line for it. I'll do it again this year.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours pitch black with no head. Gurgles into the bottom of my snifter.

On the nose is cherries an dark fruits. Dark roast malts, bitter chocolate and hints of char and alcohol. I see why people are saying soy sauce. I definitely pick that up on the nose as well.

Taste is cherries, sweet molasses, sweet and dark malts. Dark fruits, sugar, char, a hint of vanilla. Very very sweet. Sweet to the point that its almost not drinkable. Wow. And again, definite soy sauce on the after taste. Very interesting. The more I drink and smell the more soy sauce begins to come out.

Mouthfeel is huge and chewy. One of the thickest stouts I've ever tried. Massive, massive, massive.

This beer isn't worth the hype at all. It's decent at best. Very very sweet but the soy sauce flavor and smell really ruined it for me. I think going to DLD really ups the ratings for a lot of people with the experience involved but oh well. Try it if you can.

3.06/5  rDev -28.5%

09 vintage, thanks to stowehop for bringing this bottle to my friday afternoon porch "party" (its really 3 guys sampling awesome bombers on my porch)

Poured into a wine goblet, thin head dissipates before I can take many notes. no lace.

Smells like Raisins, Rum, Molasses, and chocolate syrup. very sweet.

Sweetness is invasive. chocolate syrup, raisins and molasses are still there and VERY prevalent. sweetness sticks to your lips. not much roasted character at all.

Cloyingly sweet, sticks around far too long, considering theres no roasted bitterness to balance it at all.

Drinkability is very low. split 4 ways we didnt finish it, gave the rest to hopopotomus when he stopped by hours later.

i understand why somebody would LOVE this beer, but I dont understand why EVERYBODY does. Its far too sweet, almost a sugar bomb. Not roasted enough for me.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.