Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Black with glitter flecks wax = 2016

Added by cretemixer on 12-13-2002

Reviews: 1,263 | Ratings: 4,151

Thanks a million to mynie for this trade
Tasted on 5/11 with three friends and neighbors
Well I finally found my perfect 5. This beer was incredible, and I thought it lived up to all the hype surrounding it. I have been reading that the 07 has too much sediment and you don't get a full beer, but my bottle was perfectly fine. This stuff is so viscous it is nuts. I wanted to really savor the bottle, but everyone wanted another sip right away so the glass only lasted about 15 minutes. Amazing. My roommate and I giggled like little girls the whole time we were drinking.

Awesome beer

3.01/5  rDev -29.7%

2012 vintage shared by metempsychosis on 18 August 2012

Appearance:
Black as your ex-wife's heart with a very thin tan head

Smell:
Sugary, chocolatey, fruity

Taste:
Very cloying, hard to find much else to taste beyond the sweetness. Surprisingly not much alcohol taste to it for such a young big beer.

Mouthfeel:
Full body, but little carbonation, quite sticky feeling

Overall:
I wanted to like this beer, but its cloying taste was too much; I had to force myself to finish the 3oz glass I had. The sweetness overpowered everything in the brew and it was too one-dimensional because of it.

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

2010 Vintage - Green Wax

Big thanks to my dad for getting me this one. We drank it immediately after I submitted my final MBA assignment.. It was a great way to cap off the program.

Appearance: the Dark Lord pours the darkest black imaginable. Completely opaque; no light penetration. The dark brown head dissipates rather quick.

Smell: it only takes one sniff to realize that this isn't your average Russian imperial stout. Huge boozy scents become almost wine-like. Port perhaps? Some roastiness in the nose as well.

Taste: Deliciously sweet. A complex integration of chocolate, coffee, dark fruits, molasses, charred malt, and a hint of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: very thick consistency. Remarkably smooth. The carbonation seemed perfect.

Overall: the Dark Lord came highly anticipated because of the hype surrounding it. That said, it exceeded my expectations. Brilliant stuff!

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Had the '07 version on tap at Three Floyds Dark Lord Day 2008.

A: Opaque dark black. Oily sheen. No head, just a rim of brown bubbles around the glass where a head would be. An oily looking film left on the cup.

S: Very sweet. Malt, coffee, dark fruits and chocolate.

T: Super sweet. Earthy. Chocolate, coffee and dark fruits. A definite alcohol presence.

M: The thickest beer I've ever had. Oily and velvety feel coats the mouth and tongue.

D: An awesome beer. Would be even better sipping it out of a snifter rather then the plastic cup it was served in at Dark Lord Day.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%

In honor of glazeman.

S:
Dark Lord Imperial Stout is a 6 month old RIS with a past history significant for notorious long lines, high ABV, awesome label art, tricky online ticket sales, and being the original hyped up brewery-only released stout. He presents to my Westvleteren snifter this evening in honor of glazeman's 100th review.

O:
smell: dark roasts, figs, chocolate, vanilla, sweet candy
appearance: small head that quickly fades to nothing, thick thick thick oil that coats the walls of the snifter - EXACTLY what an RIS should look like. perfect.
taste: sweet dark chocolate, vanilla, bitter roasts, and a tiny bit of piney hops in the finish. rich, thick, intense, and incredible. just what a true RIS should be.
mouthfeel: thickness and carbonation are both spot on.
drinkability: for 15% ABV, this is extremely drinkable. don't be fooled by the nay-sayers - i could drink a bomber of this myself - no doubt about it.

A/P:
6 month old RIS presenting this evening for glazeman's 100th review. DL is probably the most heavily disputed beer on this site. Many love it, many hate it, many complain about the lines, tickets, etc. Many simply just don't like to admit that such an amazing beer can come from northwest Indiana. Well get over it, people, DL is as good as it gets - one of the best beers I've ever had.

- continue to attend Dark Lord Day every year
- continue to support my midwest breweries
- continue splitting this bomber with glazeman for his 100th review

This plan has been discussed with my attending.

airohead2001, MS3
Pager# 12345

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

Big thanks to Andrew for the trade. I never thought I'd get to try this one.

Pours dark but not completely black, a translucence while pouring. Not much head. The bottle is from 2012 and we're tasting it in 2013.

Smells boozy, hot. Molasses, prunes.

First taste: really thick and syrupy, very sweet. Tingle-bursts on first taste.

Second taste: big malt, slightly bitter, fairly long finish. Port wine.

A little sticky sweet for my tastes. There are better balanced Russian Imperials that I think I prefer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

2010 vintage - olive green wax
22oz bomber poured into a duvel tulip
This beer along with another have been sitting in the cellar for a long time, opened this puppy up at a little tasting held last weekend along with some college buddies. Lets see how it did...

A: The Dark Lord poured a mean pitch black black. No light is EVER going to come through this beer. Had a small dark mocha head, about one fingers worth.

S: There is alot of roastedness in there. Pretty sweet smelling beer as well which is interesting for such a big RIS. Chocolate and coffee are big factors in the smell. What really brings the sweetness up is the dark fruit character that is present - something i have never smelt in a imperial stout. Figs, raisons, plums. Very interesting. Also some alcohol heat as well

T: THIS BEER IS BIGGGG. Following the nose nicely, this beer has alot of coffee, roasted malts and chocolate characters present. Again, the beer has a wierd dark fruit thing going on thats pretty interesting. The major draw back to this beer? - Sweetness. This beer is over the top sweet almosting cloying. Bring down the sweetness and this would be a stellar beer. Alcohol plays another big factor in the taste of this beer. Pretty boozy with some sips.

M: THICK THICK THICK like maple syrup, thought they put used motor oil in my beer. The thickness is kind of nice. Carbonation is a little low but what would you expect from such a HUGE RIS? Alcohol is high, a little hot and almost border line overboard but not quite.

D: A little above average with this guy, pretty huge RIS that would be very hard to put many down. Also a little bit to sweet for my liking, but great flavors are packed into the beer. Pretty impressed.

Weekend tasting results: Out of the only three RIS's we had in the entire tasting, beer finished 3rd following Bourbon County Brand Stout and Ivan the Terrible.

2.55/5  rDev -40.4%

I just came back from vacation and had to post a review of this brew. I have been looking forward to it for the past 6 months, saved it for a great weekend, and wow was I disappointed.

Vintage 2011 (yellow wax)

Brew pours a beautiful color- midnight with some off-white foam. I was surprised how quickly the brew condensed down to just the beer though- bubbles were gone! I guess that 15% was clear from the beginning!

Aroma is a very nice- marshmallow fluff meets coffee and caramel, plus some oaky tones. Really nice smell on this brew.

Taste was awful. It was likely drinking a bottle of soy sauce. I thought maybe it was too cold, so we let it sit for a little while. Still tasted like soy. Then changed glasses, still tasted like soy. Finally, we had to pour it out. Also felt like it was not nearly as dense as expected, especially in flavor profile.

Maybe it was the youth of the beer (about a year), maybe it was just a bad bottle, or maybe this just isn't my brew. All I can say is there is NOTHING from Three Floyds that has gotten below a 4.5 overall rating from me so far, but Dark Lord did.

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From tasting notes 1/21/11, with fellow BA'a AngryNucleus and BeRanger. Beer #6 of the night.

2011 vintage, yellow wax. 6 oz. pour into a Founders snifter.

A: Black with a lot of red hues. A half-inch of off-white head sitting atop motor oil. Beautiful.

S: Such an odd combination for the nose: pepper-jack, chocolate, and maybe some soy sauce.

T: Chocolate and chili powder. This reminds of chili or good mole sauce. There is so much going on in here that it's tough to pick all of the flavors out. For a 15% beer, where is the booze? It's concealed well by the dominant peppery flavor.

M: Sticky, sweet, and full. This really is like motor oil. It coats the mouth fully.

O: Dark Lord is unlike any imperial stout I have ever had. I have had the 2011 3 times now, and it confuses my taste buds every single time. I am not afraid to admit that I don't fully get this beer. All I know is that I enjoy it's unique flavor profile and the challenge that it provides every time I drink it.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

2008 vintage.

Pours motor oil black and thickness. Coffee colored head a finger thick, then flattens out to an oil slick surface. Nose is alcohol and plum, notes of coffee and espresso. really enticing smell.

taste is quite powerful. all coffee in this one. cappuccino flavors give way to espresso bitterness. some notes of caramel. mouthfeel on this beer is damn near perfection in glass. 13% is extremely well hidden with only a hint of the heavy booziness at the end. really impressive beer. this beer is world class and worth seeking out. i can't imagine what this beer would be like with a couple of years on it.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Everytime I've described a beer as looking like motor oil has been a lie. THIS is a beer that looks like motor oil. No head whatsoever. This beast is far too dense for a head. It has its own gravity and pulls any head into itself. The glass is absolutely stained yellow after drinking. Epic. Smell is hugely complex and awe-inspiring. Smells like the best coffee, the best brownie, brown sugar, and some dark fruits thrown in for good measure. I'm amazed that the taste actually meets and surpasses everything promised by the smell. Mouthfeel is massively thick. After swallowing, it's like my entire digestive system up to and including my stomach is coated with this stuff. Normally, with such a huge beer, I'm a bit more conservative with dropping a 5, but I would have this anytime I can.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First and formost, I love Imperial Stouts. I was at the 2005 release of Dark Lord and acquired a case of these. I did not want to fall into or be influenced to 'follow the crowd'. So I have waited, and patiently consumed THREE (3) of these over time; checking 'quality and consistency' within this one batch (and thats the story I am sticking to).

The bottle opens with a faint Pfffttt. Served at cellar temp (68 F) the beer pours with a deep garnet highlights to a rich black background.
A small (1 finger) rich tan head on the glass.

Smell is sweet, roasty, malty, coffee.

The taste is rich & complex; roasty, coffee, carmel, chocolate covered raisins, blended hops. Its Mel Torme, Al DiMiola, Frank Sinatra, and the Who in concert together. It is brandy like, with an occasional alcohol blast peaking out from behind that huge malt bill.

The mouthfeel is thick and smooth, full, viscous.

You really have to love Big Beers to drink this. My wife will not touch it. It is much more drinkable than it is available. The price is a bit over the top, but it undoubtably is packed with first quality ingredients, care and nurturing and just costs that much to make.So that helps pace the consumption; otherwise I would drink it all the time, and it would become 'normal' which is NOT what Three Floyds is all about !

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

2010

A: Pours dark and thick. A pretty heady beer, with a mocha colour on it. Looks delicious.

S: It smells of dark chocolate with roasted coffee, molasses and a raisiny/fruity complexion, and definitely alcohol.

T: Very complex. At first, the fruity/rasiny quality is present, followed by the dark chocolate and coffee. Very layered. Finishes with the alcohol.

M: Very thick and creamy. The alcohol burn at the end is noticeable at the end, yet i find it to be fairly smooth.

D: This is a beer to be shared, that is for sure. Fantastic flavoring. Worth every minute that I stood in line for it. I'll do it again this year.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours pitch black with no head. Gurgles into the bottom of my snifter.

On the nose is cherries an dark fruits. Dark roast malts, bitter chocolate and hints of char and alcohol. I see why people are saying soy sauce. I definitely pick that up on the nose as well.

Taste is cherries, sweet molasses, sweet and dark malts. Dark fruits, sugar, char, a hint of vanilla. Very very sweet. Sweet to the point that its almost not drinkable. Wow. And again, definite soy sauce on the after taste. Very interesting. The more I drink and smell the more soy sauce begins to come out.

Mouthfeel is huge and chewy. One of the thickest stouts I've ever tried. Massive, massive, massive.

This beer isn't worth the hype at all. It's decent at best. Very very sweet but the soy sauce flavor and smell really ruined it for me. I think going to DLD really ups the ratings for a lot of people with the experience involved but oh well. Try it if you can.

3.06/5  rDev -28.5%

09 vintage, thanks to stowehop for bringing this bottle to my friday afternoon porch "party" (its really 3 guys sampling awesome bombers on my porch)

Poured into a wine goblet, thin head dissipates before I can take many notes. no lace.

Smells like Raisins, Rum, Molasses, and chocolate syrup. very sweet.

Sweetness is invasive. chocolate syrup, raisins and molasses are still there and VERY prevalent. sweetness sticks to your lips. not much roasted character at all.

Cloyingly sweet, sticks around far too long, considering theres no roasted bitterness to balance it at all.

Drinkability is very low. split 4 ways we didnt finish it, gave the rest to hopopotomus when he stopped by hours later.

i understand why somebody would LOVE this beer, but I dont understand why EVERYBODY does. Its far too sweet, almost a sugar bomb. Not roasted enough for me.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

2/21/10

Three Floyds Brew Co.
Dark Lord
R.I.S.

L= 4.5 Thin quick dispersing dark brown head. Flash! It's gone. It pours like you scraped the tar off of a black top highway road going to or coming from hell. Extremely viscous with one of the most incredible display of lacing I've ever seen.

S= 4.5 Dark roasted coffee beans, Caramelized caramel, heaven, fig, dark cherry....I could go on forever. The smell is almost indescribable. I feel the smell is above me at this point of my beer tasting journey.

T= 5.0 First sip, the beer touches your lips and it immediately disperses to your entire mouth. Your mouth is coated with this ...this thing. This beer has taken over my mouth and coated it with its fruitful seed. This beer made me its b^&%$ and I didn't even put up a fight. Sweet molasses, fig, caramelized caramel, figs, coffee, and a light tart dark cherry finish. Right at the middle of the tasting you get a tingle on your tongue from hops and a light alcohol burn. This is the best imperial stout I've ever had in my entire beer drinking life thus far.

F= 5.0 Very chewy, thick, extremely creamy, oily feel. The beer it's self seems to suck to your mouth like a magnet.

D= 5.0 this is a beer. This is the highest I've ever rated a beer and I do not give out high ratings often. I have yet to find a beer that actually compares to this. There is just so much going on in this beer that I can't possibly do it justice. I have been into micros for about 3 years now. I have tried approx. 350 beers ranging from hopping frog bourbon barrel, KBS, storm king to hopstoopid. This is the most complex beer I've ever had. I feel as if I had tried this beer any earlier in my beer career, I would not have liked it. I don't believe I would have understood it and I still don't believe I fully understand it now there is just that much going on. I can not wait to try this beer again after 6 months from maybe even a year to see how my palate has advanced. If god were to drink beer, this would be it. Special thanks to Sean for being a lazy a&* and Dan, It was an adventure and you should have went to jail, but you got it, you did it! Thanks guys

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours out black as night, with a tan head. Head retention long, high, lacing throughout. Aroma of chocolate, raisons, licorice, coffee. Flavors fruit seemingly dry, chocolate, coffee, with smoke also. Those were all that I can distinguish, more in there. Thick and creamy mouthfeel. Drinkably is high for flavor but the alcohol will catch up with you.

2.36/5  rDev -44.9%

2010 vintage poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Looks like motor oil. It pours a thick, oily, viscous pitch black. As you pour, it looks and even sounds very syrupy. The dark brown head dissipated quickly. Was only about a 1/2 finger at the max.

Smell:
Lots and lots of dark fruits. Strong on the molasses, brown sugar. Mild bourbon and chocolate scents. Very strong on the alcohol. This smells over the top sweet.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Dark fruits (raisins??), molasses, chocolate. Holy ****, why is this so sweet? Not appealing at all. It's almost undrinkable. Pretty much zero carbonation and the thickness feels like sludge in your mouth which leaves a disgusting coating. You almost have to chew this beer to get it down. Feels like somebody poured syrup into my mouth.

Drinkability:
Very low drinkability. I'm pretty sure that I'm in the minority here, but this beer was bad. Really bad. Luckily, I split this with a friend, otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have poured the other half of the bottle out. This beer is definitely a sipper.

I had really high expectations going into this one and was excited to try it after seeking it out, but I was hugely disappointed. I think I want to try this one again at some point - maybe a different vintage - but this one was a letdown for me.

3.57/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

After all the fuss, what a let-down. The pour was good, with a nice full head. You could smell the roasted malts, but the taste was so overwhelmingly sweet I couldn't get past that. I see other reviews listing several flavors, but I couldn't taste anything but the strong sugary taste - it completely hides the 15% alcohol it is so dominant. Not a favorite.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

2007 into my KBS snifter

Pours deep dark and beautiful...like motor oil. Really is like motor oil... thin head that doesnt stick around.

Complex nose of deep roasted malts, chocolate, burnt fruits..tobacco. Love it.

Clings to the glass with every sip..Huge thick mouthfeel...fork and knife thick. Sweet coffee, raisins, chocolate....

Insanely good Beer

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%

Reviews of 2008 and 2009...averaged out.

2008 bottle.

pours a motor oil like thick black. with a nice espresso like thin head.
smells of heavily roasted malt, burnt coffee, dark chocolate. Very complex.
taste is very similar to the nose roasted malt, burnt coffee, dark chocolate, caramel. A very complex and intense beer. The mouthfeel is ridiculous, so think almost milkshake like.
A wonderful beer.

2009 bottle

Appearace sucked...poured into a glass, little to no head,
thin looking body.
Aroma started out ok, some chocolate, roasted malts, then
i was hit with the nail polish remover, acetic acid and
sweaty towel. Not really what i was expecting from this
bottle.
Taste was pretty God awful. Burnt meat from a gas grill,
vinegar, and rotten coffee grounds. Im very shocked, i
think i may have gotten a bad bottle, but i have been told
by a few people that they have had similar experiences.
Mouthfeel also sucked...thin, boring.
Drinkability dumped over half the bottle...

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

08 vintage (black cap) poured into tulip.

A: Jet black pour with no head whatsoever. Looks very thick!

S: Coffee and dark and milk chocolate. Below this is dark fruit, molasses and soy sauce.

T: Molasses is much more prominent in the taste followed by coffee and chocolate. It's also pretty hot, more than I expected for an '08.

M: The gold standard for 'thickness'. Liquid tar.

D: The 'heat' and the abv limit this beer's drinkability.

This is my second bottle of DL, the first being an '09, and I like this one much better. A very nice beer, a little hotter than I expected but still nice.

Update---just had the '10 version and it is AMAZING!! Lots of coffee, chocolate, molasses and some soy sauce both in the nose and taste. The trademark DL thickness is there and no heat whatsoever. Also smooth as silk!!! This truly is a fantastic drinking experience!!

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap and poured from a bottle. 2010

Pours black and not much head at all.

Smells of dark roasted malt to begin with. Reveals a lot of dark fruits like prunes and cooked figs. A little coffee too.

The mouthfeel is very thick and syrupy. Tastes right away of sweet sugar and molasses. Lots of caramel and roasted malt flavor. The dark fruits seem to be coming across more now after a few months in the cellar. A lot of stewed prune and date flavor come across. I cant wait to try this one in a few years and see where it goes.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

White wax 2009 bottle. Thanks to Heater for the trade - first time trying Dark Lord! Served in a snifter.

A - Pours like a black hole. Light does not escape. Dark, slick oil, minimal rich crema, hot chocolate head, tight lace.

S - Dark bitter chocolate. Raisins, port, fruit cake. Slight soy?

T - Sweeet, like sugar cupcake icing. Sweet tobacco, like an unlit Swisher Sweet. Molasses, but don't taste any coffee.

M - thick and viscous - coats mouth, yet slick too and frothes on tongue.

O - Hmmm....been waiting waiting waiting to try this beer, patiently cellaring since I traded with Heater in the Spring. Over worked my expectations; not as blown away as I was hoping to be. Sickly sweet. Lot to drink by oneself. Not sure if '09 is 15%, doesn't say on bottle but does not feel like 15%. Glad I tried it.

2012 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip at 46 degrees. Pours a midnight oil black. 2 inch beige head quickly shrinks to nothing. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is dark fruit, plum, raisin, molasses, mild pine, maple syrup, toffee, and caramal. Taste is very sweet. Candi sugar, dates, raisins, molasses, toasted malts, raw earth in the back of your mouth, dark baking syrup, faint grass, and roasted barley. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. There is hardly any evidence of alcohol, which is amazing for a 15%abv. Awesome beer. So complex and amazing. I cannot wait till i try this over the next few years in my cellar.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.