Biggs' 'stache | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

poor
Biggs' 'stacheBiggs' 'stache

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

A golden colored sour with intense barnyard flavors and aromas as well as assertive tartness.

Added by MasterSki on 11-15-2011

2.3

4.75/5  rDev +106.5%

4.5/5  rDev +95.7%

4.5/5  rDev +95.7%

4.12/5  rDev +79.1%

Picked this up at the 3Fs XV Party. I could only get one and I couldn't stay out of it. Had to break into it about 36 hours after the purchase. Their their description had me craving it immediately...

A: Slightly hazy golden appearance. Standard amount of head and fairly good carbonation. You can see a couple rivulets of bubbles ascending.

S: Pretty nose. Quite complex with a blend of oak, a bit horse blanket and a fruitiness reminiscent of a Belgian strong pale.

T: This sour has a richness/maltiness that I'd say is fairly uncommon among others I've had that are similar stylistically. A little lacto Sour, but not out of balance thanks to that richness. With the finish comes a sour spiciness that I can't decide if I enjoy or not. Very interesting.

M: Again the malt is balanced out by the carbonation and tart side of this beer. I'm curious to find out what the ABV is on this one. If I were to guess solely based on the mouthfeel I'd say around 8%, but I imagine it is higher. 10%+?

O: I really liked this beer. It comes off as an oaky sour tripel. I still have a few that out-rank it, but I would totally buy it again. Seek out this rare treat... share it with a friend... trade it to me. Either way, it will be enjoyed.

3.97/5  rDev +72.6%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Bottle # 71/336

Pours a clear orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour, tart, and funky with some vinegar, grain, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with an acidic quality on the finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with some solid aromas and flavors.

3.8/5  rDev +65.2%

Big thanks goes out to aasher for sharing this one a few days before his wedding while in Destin, FL! Thanks Al! Bottle 309 of 336! Served from bottle into a Boulevard tulip. Poured a golden yellow with a one and a half finger white head that subsided to a half finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, tart, sour, wood, and acetic acid. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus rine, wood, fruit, sour, tart, and subtle vinegar. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. Overall this one was pretty interesting. However, there was a little something off-putting on the flavor of this one. It wasn’t bad by any means, just not what one would expect from the style. The aroma and mouthfeel on this one were quite nice for the style. A definite must try if you are lucky enough to get the opportunity.

3.25/5  rDev +41.3%

3.08/5  rDev +33.9%

Bottle # 1/336

Brought this bottle to an "American Sour" tasting at a friend's place. The bottle was shared between about 12 people or so, and the reviews were very similar to the reviews on here: the majority hated it. But, there were a few people (including myself) that were glad to finish the bottle and actually enjoyed it.

A - Golden blonde in color with a small, receding head.

S - Acidic and funky. To me it smelled like lemons and vinegar.

T - Very acidic and vinegar-ish tasting upfront, but that fades into a sour lemon / grassy taste. Other people thought it tasted like nail polish remover and were immediately ready for a new beer. By no means was it the best tasting beer of the evening, but I didn't find the taste objectionable at all.

M - Mouthfeel was thin / medium bodied.

O - I wouldn't go out of your way to find this, but if someone opens a bottle I would suggest giving it a try with an open mind.

Biggs' 'stache from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.