Rye'da Tiger | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Rye'da TigerRye'da Tiger

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Remember Rye'da Lightning? This is its double. Think of Ronnie James Dio while you enjoy this double Rye IPA.

Added by MasterSki on 09-06-2012

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 93 | Ratings: 630
4.48/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Aroma pretty straight forward for me-hop flower, pink grapefruit and papaya.

This turns into a hop bomb! Big and bold! Definite caraway, white pepper, burnt caramel, honeyed biscuit and grapefruit pith. Like chewing on a hop head. Beautiful lacing.

Mouthfeel is semi sticky and pleasant hop aftermath.

Another FFF masterpiece. Nothing to prove, but again showing what an exceptional brewery they are.

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Enjoyed on tap at Three Floyds Brewpub. Served in a nonic half pint glass.

Dark gold with orange accents and a one finger bright white head. Huge aroma of a multitude of citrus and fruit notes and flora on the nose. The taste is consistent with the nose: juicy grapefruit, dense passionfruit, pineapple and citrus blossoms. Rye spiceness is quite evident midpalate and is essential in balancing the fruity sweetness and gigantic malt bill. Surprisingly, finishes quite dry with bitter tropical notes. Well carbonated, smooth on the palate. The heaviest malt backbone of any Three Floyds Double/Imperial IPA to date lends to a slick, full bodied mouthfeel. Fairly well-balanced and one of the more complex Double/Imperial IPA's I've had.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks for aasher for sending this out in a recent trade. You rock, Al!

Pours a hazed medium orange color topped by a frothy off-white foam. Great retention, lacing clinging to the glass. Big juicy citrus hops and a touch of sticky dankness greet the nose first. Some floral notes arrive later as does a subtle fruity, berry-like ester. Creeping bitterness escalates on the palate, climbing it's way through the tangerine and mango fruity hop tangle. Solid foundation of a lightly toasty, subtly peppery malt backbone. Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation.

As usual, Three Floyds delivers the goods on another devilishly hoppy big IPA. Glad I got my hands on one...thanks again, Al!

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%

From a 22 ounce bomber.

A. Yellowish amber appearance with a nice three finger, pillowy white head that recedes slowly. Laces like the dickens. Nearly perfect.

S. Mango, pineapple, pine, hop oils and bready grain. Nicely done.

T. Complex fruity entry of pineapple and citrus. Hop bitterness, pine and rye pokes through on a fairly long finish.

M. Medium bodied with nice carbonation.

O. A very enjoyable and drinkable beer from FFF. This stuff is fresh and it really shows. I need to grab another bottle before this disappears. Highly recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into FFF teku glass

Appearance: Looks like your typical DIPA especially one from FFF. Dark orange to copper with golden hues on the edges. Beautiful pillow like two finger head with a bone white color. Tons of carbonation is flowing up the sides of my glass.

Smell: Holy hell this smells great and very typical of a FFF DIPA offering. Up front a shit ton of tropical and citrus fruits. Grapefruit, orange peel, mango, pineapple, tangerine and some lemon zest. I am definitely picking up some of the spice from the rye at the back end but the nose is dominated by FFF signature hop notes.

Taste: Damn this is a fine DIPA with a twist. Sweet caramel and citrus with orange peel, and the others as noted in the nose. A noticeable pine bitterness at the back end and throughout the swallow with a drying finish. The rye is present with a notable spice also throughout the palate.

Mouthfeel: This has a medium body and a higher amount of carbonation. It's creamy and spicy at the same time and somewhat sticky.

Overall: Well FFF does it again! I really liked this offering from them and it most definitely has their signature all over it!

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy yellow/gold color with a foamy head.

Very aromatic with a juiciness to the aromas of hops, Florida oranges, mangoes, and florals.

Full bodied with good depth and flavors of hops, mangoes and Florida oranges.

This was a really good DIPA. This didn't show much booze to it either and held the style really well

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into snifter.

Appearance-light apricot, 1 finger white head, nice lacing on side of glass. 4.25

Aroma-orange, grapefruit, ground pepper, peach, cherry, grilled pineapple. 4.25

Taste-strong citrus and strong black pepper up front, orange zest, sun tea, rye bread. 4.75

Feel-medium to full bodied, lots of carbonation at first, coats palate fully, after lasts a while. 4.5

Overall-great flavor from this beer, nice combo of rye and citrus. This is my first three floyds brew and if this is any indication I will be a fan for life. I only get a chance to purchase three floyds once every month or two because that don't come to my area. I might have to make a trip to norther Indiana soon. 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy pale amber with a huge fluffy white head. Good head retention. Leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smell: Citrus and floral hops with a big dose of rye spiciness up front. Some biscuit and caramel malts peek through. Same great in-your-face hop profile that Three Floyd's seems to always bring.

Taste: Sweeter than expected. A good balance between caramel malt and floral/grapefruit hops infused with rye spiciness. Finish is a bit floral with more caramel and rye balanced by bittering hops. The rye works brilliantly with the hop profile. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body for the style. Rye makes it a bit chewy. Carbonation level keeps at least somewhat crisp despite the thickness.

Overall: One of the best rye beers I've had, and I love my rye beers. Strong rye presence, great hop profile (no surprise coming from Three Floyd's).

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Transparent somewhat deep honey orange with a one finger white head. Also, two thick ring lacing's.

Aroma: Juicy grapefruit, apricot, mango, and a little pineapple. Floral. Some spicy rye.

Taste: Very similar to the the smell. Grapefruit, apricot, and mango. Some spicy hops. Rye and its spiciness throughout. Some malty sweetness. Rye and hops in the aftertaste. Some alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel: Slightly over median bodied and median carbonation. A little sticky. Hops bitterness is actually light but lingers for five minutes at the most. Finish is slightly dry.

Overall: I really enjoy this beer but would enjoy it more if it had more rye. If it had more rye, I would give taste a five. I consumed this beer well over an hour. Like most beers, it gets better as it warms, especially the rye. I would definitely have this again.

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Tiger pours a hazy orange color and is topped with ¾”of white head that tends to hang around nicely
Smell: The aroma of this beer is a beautiful blend of rye malt and hops that makes my mouth water without even tasting it.
Taste: The flavor of this beer could be a bit hoppier but it does have a nice blend of hops to malt for a 2x rye IPA.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and not as easy going down as some IIPA but it does get a small pass since it is rye based

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

The appearance is above average for the style: fine lacing, bright white head and red amber color which is transparent. There is some sediment at the bottom of the bottle that produces fish food in the glass.

The nose is excellent. There is predominantly tropical and citrus aromas from the hops and spicy malt from the rye. As the brew warms, the nose is dominated by the malt (both spicy and sweet) and alcohol.

The taste is rather average for a rye pale ale. I detect spicy malt and some bittering hops, but the alcohol bite cuts through. The alcohol disrupts the nice balance between the malt backbone and hops.

The feel is medium and provides some oily notes.

I am a big fan of Rye'd da Lightning, so I was excited to try this double version. If this brew can be made such that the alcohol does not push its way through the taste, then I'd give it a higher overall score. I think fans of Lightening should give this a try. However, this won't be a repeat buy for me.

3.85/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

If you are a 3 Floyds fan, you will like this beer. I am a fan, so I do enjoy it.
It has all the earmarks of their offerings: Great head retention, citrus-like aroma,
and lingering bitterness. Yes: rye spice to boot. It's rusty orange, with plenty of sediment.

Many of the 3F hop-forward offerings taste similar to me, and I like most of them.
Solid offering: hoppy, balanced, and offers a twist with the rye. Not quite as complex as D'naught, but worth a try. I like it more than the "Lightning" version. Looking forward to Boru in a month or so!

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

I've had some doozies in my day, and am always looking for new IIIIPA's to try. This offering from three floyds was just about the best I've had (out of 100+ IPA-type brews). I didn't notice much rye, but there was a bit of spice as others noticed. Very fruity, sticky, and just awesome. I bought this down the street at Stoney's here in Indy after cashing in some of my grandpa's old coins (RIP R.M.!). I toasted to him, and enjoyed this amazing brew. Out on the porch, the sun shone through it and displayed amazingly evenly distributed particulates of.. I dunno.. hops? Couldn't say. Do NOT pass this beer up. I don't sign in to review many beers but this prompted action! My next action will likely be buying another bottle when I can.

Mark

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to Karsten for this. Very welcome in the Lone Star State.

A - poured vigorously into a tulip. Majestic. Sunset gold with slightly off-white, huge head. Carbonation is clearly evident. Really nice lacing. Can't find a fault, it's beautiful.

S - floral and sweet, citrus hops. Heavenly. I'm not getting a lot of maltiness, but I suck at picking that stuff out. It smells like heaven, honestly. That's it. Like ZD, or Lunch.

T - definitely sweet and fruity up front. There is a little spiciness in the middle of the tongue, which is followed by a nice hop bitterness. Not overpowering by any means though. The balance on this thing is amazing.

M - medium, well-carbonated, and a little oily. The bitterness sticks around for a bit but doesn't get annoying.

O - I'll admit that DIPAs are my favorite style, and the rye addition is excellent. I also didn't think Rye'd da Lightning was out of this world, so my expectations were a little low. However, it's hard for me to find a fault here. Seriously, the guys in Munster have outdone themselves. This is insanely good, and might be worth giving up a child for. Not a first-born, but one of the later ones for sure.

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Beautiful copper color with a rich two fingers of creamy head. After about three minutes, the head began to recede leaving some pretty fantastic lacing. Moderate carbonation.

S: The smell has me quite excited to dip into this one. Very strong grapefuit in the nose and a bit of pine seems to be present, too. Can't wait anymore. Going for it.

T: Wow! That's a great IPA. I love the rye undertones. Not too strong and overpowering, but giving it just a bit of a spicy kick in the ass. A little grassy flavor,too. Perhaps this bottle isn't real fresh because it isn't typical of most of the doubles I've had lately. The hops are definitely there, but is more balanced than the typical double. Still, I like the balance of this beer and I don't need it anymore bitter. Easy to drink. Very approachable and dare I say sessionable.

M: Pretty standard feel to it. Crisp and slick. Little residual feel to it. But, still very nice.

O: I like this beer alot. The rye grains definitely give it a kick that sets it apart from the typical IPA. I'd rate it higher if it was just a bit more flavorful.

4.56/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a nice light orange.

S - Very nice tropical nose. I get a lot of tropical fruits from the hops with a nice amount of orange. There is some bread-y rye, pine and grapefruit notes as well.

T - Follows the nose. First wave is tons of tropical hops and orange. This turns to resinous pine and grapefruit. It finishes with a light touch or rye and sweet malts. Amazing. I just wish it had a little more rye to it.

M - Just right for the style. Medium body with that oily/sticky characteristic. Very sessionable.

O - I absolutely love rye beers. This tastes exactly like what I think a cross between Zombie Dust and Nelson from Alpine would taste like. The only thing I would change is adding a little more rye. Its there, but a little too subtle. 3 Floyd's continues to "wow" me. This is another world-class offering from them.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Deep orange, little lacing.

S: Rye and fruit.

T: Rye, fruit, hops, and booze perfectly melded together. This is what wins this beer over for me, by far the best tasting Rye IPA I've ever had. I think the smell hints at an overwhelming amount of Rye where the taste balances everything very well.

M: Medium to full with adequate carbonation right around where you'd expect this beer to be.

O: I haven't been blown away by any Rye IPA's so I went into this beer expecting a mediocre brew, however, I was pleasantly surprised by how well this beer balances all the flavors and gives a very nice drinking experience.

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Just getting into IPAs and this one is right up my alley. Very floral nose of hops. A light-colored, non-hazy beer. Easy on the tongue with a bit of stronger hops in the aftertaste. But the sweetness of the hops calms it down before overwhelming my tastebuds. I would definitely order or buy again.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Rye'da Tiger from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.