Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bully Guppy | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Bully GuppyBully Guppy
1.58/5
Awful
Bully GuppyBully Guppy

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Gumballhead aged in cognac barrels with peaches for one year.

Added by MasterSki on 09-25-2012

2.33/5  rDev +47.5%

Orange toned dark color.
Nose is very chemical and "off." Not at all inviting.
Flavor profile unfortunately follows nose on this one. While this review is from notes from 2013, the biggest word in my one page of comments is "UGH." So be it.

1.98/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

OK! I've been looking forward to trying this monstrosity for a while. A sort of masochistic desire to find out "how bad can it really be?" The answer is more complex than "REALLY F*$&ING BAD!"

It actually looks pretty great. Nice carbonation, radiant yellow, good clarity. The aroma ... is the worst part. Paint thinner, fingernail polish remover. Burnt hair macerated in strychnine. Maybe some peach pits and marmalade in there, some oak. It's a car crash rubber necking experience, it's like picking at a scab.

The flavor isn't actually that offensive. It's odd, but not horrible. There is a stone fruit sweetness and a lot of herbal notes ... carraway, fennel? I'm failing to recall having not taken notes and the taste memory being overwritten by the aromatic awefulness. The feel is decently creamy, lighter than expected, not harshly chemical or acidic which was shocking considering the smell.

2.75/5  rDev +74.1%

2.23/5  rDev +41.1%

Bottle thanks to Frank (lurchingbeast). Served in a Hill Farmstead tulip.

A - Big white foam settles to a thick collar, wisps, and minimal lacing. Murky apricot-colored body - almost a bit fruit purée-esque.

S - Horrendous. Smells like I arrived home to my wife removing her nail polish. There's a hint of malt and boozy cognac in the periphery, but this smells like some sort of industrial solvent. If I didn't know this was a beer, I probably wouldn't drink it.

T - The taste isn't nearly as bad as the aroma. Some pale malt sweetness, with a bit of sweet cognac and peach in the finish. Thankfully doesn't taste like nail polish remover (not that I'd know what that tastes like), but it isn't very exciting either.

M - Smooth, medium body, with surprising heft for a beer using the Gumballhead base. Lower carbonation, and a bit of cognac burn in the finish. A bit tannic from the peaches and the oak, although I suspect it's more of the former.

D - The smell is an absolute abomination. Otherwise it's merely a below average fruit beer. The lower price point probably should have been a tip-off about how bad this was going to be. I generally love 3 Floyds, but releasing some of these 'experiments gone wrong' is pretty insulting - this isn't a start-up brewery that can't afford to pour this sort of thing into the sewer.

Thanks to Dustin Powers for generously opening this up and making sure anyone at the DLD Compound who wanted a pour of this beer got one!

A- Who cares what the appearance of this beer is, anyway? It looks hazy, dark copper orange. It actually reminds me of concentrated urine. Or otherwise the urine that comes out of a person who's in acute kidney failure. Which I'm thinking at the time, is probably what's going to happen when I drink this beer.

S- Nail polish remover. Straight up acetone. I took a microfabrication lab course in undergrad and we'd clean off our molds with liters and liters of acetone. This is the exact same thing. Straight up acetone. Smelling this should have set off all sorts of warning bells in the minds that Our Creator gave us and Nature fine-tuned to keep us wary of poisonous substances. And it did. But alas, I suppressed it and took a sip...

F- A disgusting combination of acetone, formaldehyde and other undescribable industrial chemicals that Three Floyds dumped into this beer. There is nothing natural-tasting about this beer. No malt, no wood, no peaches. This is just toxic waste. I wonder if Three Floyds dumped a bunch of peaches into toxic waste barrels already filled with industrial waste, "barrel aged" it and then sold it to people. Seriously, where is the f'ing FDA when you need them?

M- Thin bodied, disgusting beer that merited an instant drainpour after one 0.001oz sip that I regretted taking immediately. And I regret even more that I passed the glass over to my friends so they could try this beer, even though most of them asked to try it. I feel like the biggest dick ever for doing this.

O- Worst beer ever. Thanks so much to Dustin Powers (powz87) for sharing this gem of a beer with us. You're such a kind person, the best BeerAdvocate I've ever met.

2.5/5  rDev +58.2%

1.75/5  rDev +10.8%

1.46/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.27/5  rDev -19.6%

Reviewing the Bully Guppy from Three Floyds Brewing Company out of Munster, Indiana. This beer is barrel aged Gumball Head.
Score: 10

Fall 2012 vintage bottle served in a small snifter glass and consumed as part of a tasting held on 11/16/12. Even 1-2 oz pours of this was way too much.

Appearance: Pours a golden apricot color. The head is a white-ish color. Too small a pour to say much about the head/lacing/retention outside of the color. 3.5/5

Smell: Vanilla cake, nail polish, wheat and window cleaner. 1.5/5

Taste: Straight up tastes like acetone and Windex with a hint of peach. Gag reflex kicked in immediately after sipping. 1/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, low carbonation, light alcohol. 1/5

Overall: Quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had the displeasure of consuming.

Recommendation: Avoid this beer like the plague.

Pairing: The kitchen sink.

Cost: $20 for a 750 ml bottle.

1.75/5  rDev +10.8%

1.25/5  rDev -20.9%

Taken from notes from pre-FOBAB tasting. Trying to type up a review here before now made me gag too much.

Pours golden orange with a small white head. Little retention or lacing, but was a small pour.

Smell like nail polish remover and paint thinner. One friend said Windex. Not out of the question.

Flavor is unquestionably straight up nail polish remover with a little apricot flavoring. Completely horrible.

Light bodied lowish carbonation.

Finally a new beer to take over my mantra as worst I've ever tried. How the hell does something like this get released? I'm pretty sure it was aged in barrels that used to contain paint thinner and I'm surprised I didn't go blind after drinking it. Seriously did anyone think to taste test this one? Glad I wasn't the one to drop my $$ on this.

1.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Worst beer of all time? BA Nail Polish...

1.15/5  rDev -27.2%

Other then the Voodoo Donut Maple Bacon this has to be one of the worst beers ever made. We have a bottle share and tried this. I almost puked. It smells like nail polish remover and doesn't taste that much different. It almost taste like something you would have to take if you wear dying from something. Three Floyd's is my favorite Brewery and this one just didn't pan out. I was really curious on how it would taste because the idea of it seemed weird in the first place. But I do give them credit for being inventive I just wouldn't have sold it to the public. I would have taken the loss on it and not ruined the brand of making amazing beers. Some of the guys said if they were dying of dehydration and the only thing was Bully Guppy they would rather die.

Bully Guppy from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.