Blot Out The Sun

Nov 14, 2012
SCORE
Outstanding
Blot Out The SunBlot Out The Sun
Notes: "Since the dawn of time it has been mankind's dream to blot out the sun." - C. Montgomery Burns

Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
3.3/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
by maximum12 from Minnesota

The last 12 oz. bottle of my two four packs, so I suppose it’s time to review this while watching Sal Perez continue to annihilate Twins pitching. More palatable when he was on my fantasy team.

Black. Big head. The aroma is rich: chocolate, roasty malts, barrel. I like where this is headed.

Blot Out the Sun runs with a standard crowd. Lots of smokiness up front before it bleeds into a mirror image of the nose with cocoa, roast, & far too light a bourbon presence. Finish is almost ashy with a soft swerve of alcohol.

Overall? This is a perfectly serviceable, pretty good stout that could use more barrel.

Apr 20, 2022
3.77/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by Whyteboar from Michigan

Had high hopes for this one, a BA Stout from Three Floyds? No brainer!
Alas, the heavy percentage of “Strange American Hops” rather made this more like Yeti (which flips none of my switches)
than DL which they are rightfully famous for.
Poured black and had a medium brown head, looks good!
The aroma isn’t bad at all, I got lots of coffee and cocoa and malts before the hops muscled in.
The taste led with bitter coffee and baking cocoa and traditions to harsh hops quickly. Not my cup of tea.
The feel was good, certainly no complaints there, but that’s an aside if you don’t appreciate the flavor.
Glad I tried it, now I know.

Jan 30, 2022

3.96 by stanale from Illinois on Dec 03, 2021

3.8 by TMoney2591 from Illinois on Nov 29, 2021

4.21 by travelguy from Ohio on Nov 27, 2021
4.49/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5
by cwm51662 from Indiana

My friend who doesn't drink sniffed it and said, "...I don't know what I'm smelling..." I have to agree, and with the advice to come with no preconceptions. I was still sniffing as I poured when the head nearly got my nose! I love the creamy feel. While others (including my friend's sniffer) didn't detect much alcohol, my taster said, "Yep, 11.4%(so it says on the bottle)". I find it very, very good. Not a bit sweet, like a piece of 84% cocoa. Kind of fruity, I guess, smell wise. I'd love to be more helpful, but it comes at me from a lot of angles I haven't had a lot of.

Nov 25, 2021

4.25 by Lance_Hathorn from Alabama on Nov 13, 2021
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by TerryMills from Tennessee

Great beer but I'm not sure it fits the style ... A bit strange but good in the same sense ... I think some age might knock the semi unpleasant edge off this one ..

Oct 24, 2021

4 by drstalker from Illinois on Jun 27, 2021
3.58/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by FureyXIII from Indiana

I got this beer in a four pack. I’m a genuine old time fan of 3Floyd’s. Didn’t notice the barrel age, but the flavor had a butteriness too it, that threw me off.

It’s a strong beer, drank 4 realized it was 0435 and I was still blasting punk rock from the 80’s.

It’s robust for an Imperial Stout, I did catch the unusual hint of Hop, but it definitely could have used more chocolate. I can honestly not really compare it to any of their older or recent brews. It stands somewhere between if Black Sun had a 3way with Dark Lord and Foch.

Jan 19, 2021

4.17 by prototypic from Ohio on Sep 13, 2020
3.99/5  rDev -3.6%
by trevormajor from Ohio

22 oz bomber poured into my trusty duvel tulip snifter. Minimal head disappeared immediately. Somewhat hoppy on the nose, strange for an imperial stout. Dark chocolate, coffee, dried fruit on the finish.

Aug 31, 2020

4.18 by Dope from Massachusetts on Jul 03, 2020

3.68 by Rhettroactive from Pennsylvania on Apr 15, 2020

4 by eawolff99 from Minnesota on Mar 13, 2020
3.78/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by beersampler6 from Michigan

This one was a little disappointing - I feel that’s always the case when the great 3 Floyds turns out a beer I feel didn’t even earn a 4 average rating. 12/3/19 date printed on bottle. Pours a deep dark rich brown color with just a little tan head and spotty lingering lacing. Smells of malt, caramel, vanilla, bread, some weaker mocha chocolate and more faint coffee aromas. Tastes similarly, fairly balanced and flavorful but I wish there were more depth and complexity. Almost reminded me of a regular stout. Smooth mild slightly thicker mouthfeel which was very welcome. Not my favorite stout from this brewery.

Feb 16, 2020

by buschbeer from Ohio

1 PINT 6 FL OZ bottle
Served in a Three Floyds teku glass
2016

This beer pours black and is topped with an inch of deep mocha head that leaves spotty lacing.

The first aromas are plum and chocolate. I also get roasted malt and cocoa.

The taste follows the smell. I get chocolate, plum, cocoa with hints of alcohol.

Full bodied with smooth mouthfeel and warming sensation from the alcohol.

It is smooth and good. It really cuts the chill of a cold January night.

Jan 11, 2019
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
by NCSapiens from Indiana

At first disappointing for not tasting like a normal stout, it grows on you for its complexity. Try this without preconceptions and it is enjoyable. Pours dark with good lacing. Taste is complicated. Noticeable hops, some alcohol warming. A bit floral. Notes of almost chocolate and nutty malts. Faint coffee and fig. Stout comes through on finish. Intellectually I like what is going on here. While not immediately tasty, it doesn’t taste bad either. And it is drinkable. More bitter than sweet. Keep going back for more. Mouthfeel is moderate, and carbonation is good; swishing it around it developed a good feel. Overall it’s a bit confusing. It’s like a high abv black ipa stout concoction. And I like it.

Dec 30, 2018

4.08 by Oneoten from Illinois on Nov 11, 2018
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%
by BlackBeerPirate from Illinois

Taste: bold, complex, roasted, smokey, malt, molasses, tobacco, bittersweet dark chocolate, dark fruit like raisins, some boozy notes. Same with the nose. Black/brown hue, semi opaque, tall tan foam head with broken ring of lace. Full but not heavy body. Intense stout. 97 IBUs

Sep 13, 2018

3.93 by peabody from Kentucky on Aug 09, 2018

4 by StoutAtTheDevil from Alabama on Jul 31, 2018

4.5 by beardmatt from Indiana on Jul 21, 2018
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%
by bl00 from Pennsylvania

Pours a deep black, allowing no light through. Tan head dissipates to thin layer, copious lacing on glass
Nose is roasty- coffee, dark chocolate, a fair amount of hops on the back end and slight astringency.
Taste is tootsie rolls, coffee, some subtle notes remind me of nuts and dark fruit. No heat detected considering the abv.
Mouthfeel is big, oily, and thick, finishing with some light carbonation. I like this aspect alot.
Overall, solid imperial stout. Thick, smooth, roasty.

Apr 23, 2018
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by rodbeermunch from Nevada

With a name like this, I go into it with the expectation that the beer will be pitch black enough to 'blot out the sun." Dope Simpsons reference.

Pours in fact, dark enough to blot out the sun. Virtually indistinguishable from another giant stout Three Floyd's makes. Brown head, 2/3". Aroma of roasted malt. Like, crushed and burned.

Taste is a very well hopped, heavy bitterness, hefty malt roasted imperial stout. Its chewy and lacks the dark fruit bitterness of a Russian Imperial Stout. While no coffee is added, the heavy amount of roasted malt will give off some coffee like tastes. Same with the unsweetened ashy chocolate malt. Seems like this one is cranked up to 11 in terms of the amount of chewy roasted malt and possibly Chinook hops giving it a heavy amount of tree like bitterness. Does a lot of things very well, shouldn't be a surprise they do good making the alcohol not seem too hot underneath all that malt.

Mar 13, 2018
Blot Out The Sun from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 92 out of 100 with 652 ratings