Murda'd Out Stout

From:
3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Indiana, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Murda'd Out StoutMurda'd Out Stout
Notes: When Baller Stout was created, bourbon barrels were filled with Surly Darkness, Three Floyds Dark Lord, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch. These were aged for 14 months separately and blended together to taste.
Reviews: 40 | Ratings: 319 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by milliCAN:

I wish I had bought a case of these. My god. This is my favorite beer to date and I have had a lot of beers. There is literally nothing I could say wrong about it or would suggest to improve upon. Worth every penny. It has every good part that you taste in a good bourbon or whiskey and none of the bite. It finishes with cream and punch you in the mouth goodness. This is my favorite beer.

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle from MeadMe, HUGE thanks for sending it my way so I could share it with the Tasters Choice group!
Pours a thick viscous black color with a smallish tan head that dissipates quickly. Huge rich malty aromas of brown sugar, caramel, molasses, coffee, dark chocolate, light wood and hints of bourbon, light fruit and smoke. Huge complex nose that I could park my nostrils over all night. The flavor is richly complex like the aroma suggested. Huge sweet sugary maltiness as a base to a bit of chocolate and roasted grains set in some bourbon oak and lightly smokey with touches of fruit and earth. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation. Fantastic frigging beer right here! If I weren't driving sat night I would have seriously Bogart-ed this bottle!

4.42/5  rDev -4.5%

Brought to you by Dennoman at the big DL lineup a few weeks back. I barely even remember this one, but luckily I took surprisingly detailed notes on it. Way more detailed than I remember doing. I must have been in great shape still.

From a 750 into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours out thicker than the Dark Lord variants, relatively viscous and black but not quite pitch black, yielding a smaller, medium looking, fluffy, light mocha head with good retention. Black body with no carbonatino evident. Head fades to a small, swirly wisp and ring but leaves no real lacing down the glass. Pretty good looking stout.

SMELL: Lots of bourbon on the nose, with oak, vanilla, coconut and caramel as well. Light roasted aroma with some dark chocolate combine with some milk chocolate and sweet cream from the bourbon barrel. Pretty bold with a good balance between the base blend and bourbon barrel. Really good.

TASTE: Lots of barrel again, with piles of bourbon, oak, vanilla, sweet cream and caramel sweetness with a hint or bitter roasted flavors at the swallow. Bold and unrelenting aftertaste of bourbon barrel, lightly roasted and burnt malts with some bitter dark chocolate as well. The oak and sweet vanilla cream flavors from the boozy bourbon barrel work well with the roasted and bitter base beer. Actually surprisingly good and well integrated.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Enough weight for the style, creamy enough as well, goes down fine and finishes slightly sticky. A burst of heat lingers on the palate as well. A touch hot perhaps, but definitely big and smooth enough to support the flavors.

OVERALL: I must have liked this beer way more than I can remember. Luckily I can still read my scrawl as well. This was much better than I'd expected. The bourbon barrel works really well with the base stout, making a big statement but still showing excellent balance as well. The feel could perhaps be a touch bigger, which would give the flavors the support they need for top marks, but given the style, this is a minor complaint. Come to think of it, given how much I actually liked the bourbon DL versions, I guess it's not such a surprise that I enjoyed this so much. On the whole, I'm a pretty big fan of the four base beers. Thanks again Dennoman! This was a beauty.

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Everything that Baller Stout was missing, this beer fixed. It was full of flavor while still being balanced and smooth. Price tag was scary, but the beer inside was well worth it.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

3.75/5  rDev -19%

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber with red wax shared at the whale tasting 7/13/2013, poured into a BCBS snifter.

This beer smells quite a bit sweet, with a ton of different flavours. If you spend enough time you might pick them out, but I mostly got bourbon, a bit of coffee, lots of chocolate (the bitter dark kind), sweet malty caramel with a little bit of barrel. It pours pretty much pitch black like the other big imperial stouts at the tasting. Not much more than a minimal brown head that fades into a pitch black, very placid brew.

Flavourwise it is fairly sweet but not overly unbalanced sweet like Dark Lord. It's chocolate molasses with a bit of coffee and vanilla.. highlighted by sweet bourbon. The oak comes out more here than in the nose. Pretty complex, and as I said above if I spent more time sousing out the different flavours, there's probably more in there.

This beer was full bodied, but not as thick as Rare or Vanilla Bean DL. That being said, it was still very thick. Standard carbonation for the style, and drinks smoothly. There's a bit of heat in this beer which isn't unexpected. Aftertaste is mostly a molasses + sweet bourbon combo.

I would say this beer is worth shelling out $50 with some friends to try out. I'd rather spend that money on something else like Rare or VBDL but cost aside, this is a friggin' fantastic BA stout. Everything seems to be present and complementing each other well including the barrel. I think it could go with a little bit less heat and a little more body. But who am I to be asking for more when this beer pretty much delivers on all counts?

Re-review: Generously opened up by Doug today at our celebratory whale tasting, 3/22/2014. Poured into a Three Floyds teku glass. Drank this one just right before we opened up a 2012 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Dark Lord. Basically, this beer's appearance is pretty much unchanged, pours with a minimal half finger brown head with little retention. The smell is JUST like the BADL- especially the barrel vanilla contribution- except with a bit more of charred malts and dark fruit, likely from the BA Black Albert contribution. And the flavour is very similar to BADL- very sugary sweet but with a nice port-like sweetness and charred roast malt character that cuts that particular sweetness, with an incredible barrel vanilla contribution similar to the BADL. Mouthfeel is impeccable, zero ABV heat and very chewy. Overall, I think this beer has done well over the last 15 months, and if you have any, consider drinking it soon. It's hard to imagine how it could be any better with more age, but it's not entirely out of the question. Also, if I had the choice between obtaining this beer vs the '12 BADL, I would go for this one 10 times out of 10.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Murda'd Out Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 100 out of 100 with 319 ratings