Murda'd Out Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Murda'd Out StoutMurda'd Out Stout
4.6/5
Murda'd Out StoutMurda'd Out Stout

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

When Baller Stout was created, bourbon barrels were filled with Surly Darkness, Three Floyds Dark Lord, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch. These were aged for 14 months separately and blended together to taste.

Added by MasterSki on 12-12-2012

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

4.41/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark dark black. Fully opaque. Forms a rich creamy mocha colored head. Excellent retention and good lacing. Aroma is also very nice; lots of roasted malts, sweet molasses, a hint of cherry, then some citrus hops fight to front, though the malts certainly dominate. Taste is very heavy on the roastedalts. Moderately sweet, molasses, thick brown sugar, dark and rich, but the hops seem to brighten it up a bit. Thick, viscous mouth. Moderate bitterness. Overall a very good imp stout.

I wish I had bought a case of these. My god. This is my favorite beer to date and I have had a lot of beers. There is literally nothing I could say wrong about it or would suggest to improve upon. Worth every penny. It has every good part that you taste in a good bourbon or whiskey and none of the bite. It finishes with cream and punch you in the mouth goodness. This is my favorite beer.

4.81/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am from near the Three Floyds Brewery, but now live and work in Germany. When I traveled home recently and visited 3F (as I always do) I was very pleasantly surprised to see them offering limited release barrel aged beers. I was lucky to have the chance to buy this and other beers that day.

I asked how long to age it and they said "It's ready NOW. It's all there." So, we opened it forthwith!

Pours black as death like my favorite BAs with that rare dark head.

The smell is so thick. A sticky sweetness that makes a lot of promises for flavor.

Taste exceeds expectation: raisins, cherries, dates, molasses, and brown sugar abound in this very full-bodied brew. You don't have to be a cicerone to detect the forward flavors here.

For now, this is the best beer I've ever had. It will be a long time before I have better. I look forward to it!

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Folks, we've got a monster on our hands! The incredible fusion of some of the best masterminds in the stout-brewing industry results in the perfect blend of all things that are best about stouts.

Simply and purely black, the beer is predictably opaque and extremely dense to the eye. Its milkshake-like consistency slowly releases a thick and creamy, mocha-whipped foam that retains well and laces fairly- its obvious that the sheer strength and age has compromised its foam character a little.

Powerfully robust aromas seduce the nose with tantalizing chocolate, espresso, molasses, and wine-like fruits. Its aged "sherry-like" savoriness gives the beer a touch of meaty (almost soy-sauce) character that's met with wine-like tartness and a smooth scent of baking chocolate cake.

Flavors are equally as refined and melded. Roasted malts provide silky espresso taste with earthy bitterness. Supporting sweetness is strong with burnt toffee, caramel, molasses, and chocolate. And then the savory flavors occur and carry the beer into finish with mouthwatering succulence. Umami-rich sherry and port meets caramelized grains and aged nuances in ways that are normally reserved for dopplebocks. Earthy flavors of wood alcohol, ripe tobacco, and red wine vinous-ness, weave into the beer's complex taste and offer surprises with every sip.

Its robust textures engulf the mouth with viscous weight and a little cocoa grit. Potent alcohols slice through the residual malts and warm the palate and offer up slight dryness. Finishing malty-sweet, the beer celebrates its flavor with infinite aftertaste.

The deliberate cellaring of each beer of the blend and its ultimate coming together is proof in taste that the whole is indeed greater than the sum of the parts. Simply put- beers just don't get better!

4.96/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a Hunaphu snifter. Thanks Wade, this looks great!

A ~ Deep black coloring with a ring of dark foam. Some lacing, not sticky though...

S ~ Bourbon nose with a bit of espresso.

T ~ Soft feel with little harshness. Kinda reminds me of Rare? Rare with some sweetness and maple maybe, fantastic taste, I can barely put It down... The Bourbon is perfectly blended which is saying something for a beer that's a collaboration already.

M ~ Nice feel, not to sticky.

O ~ Only thing I didn't like about this beer is how difficult it was to score one. Fantastic taste, this is a quality brew. My favorite FFF offering yet (I know, it's a collab but still).

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Murda'd Out Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.