Michiana Power | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A full bodied camouflaged pale ale that denounces authority and embraces flavor.

Added by MasterSki on 01-17-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.7/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at 3 Floyds. Served in an imperial pint glass.

A - A few fingers of creamy white foam that settles to a thick cap, leaving behind sheets of lace. Transparent golden body. A very attractive brew.

S - Tropical fruits, a bit of sweet orange and tangerine flesh. Balancing sugary and carmel malts. This beer is nearly two months old, so I'm sure the hop:malt balance has shifted a bit, but it's a very traditional APA that's more evocative of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale than other 3 Floyds offerings.

T - The taste is quite similar, with a mix of tropical fruits, citrus flesh, and sweet caramel and honey malts. There's only mild bitterness in the finish, as much of it is overshadowed by the heftier malt bill.

M - Very dry in the finish, with loads of residual oils and resins. Chewy, medium body, with a surprising note of alcohol warmth after 12-16oz or so. Pleasant moderate-to-low carbonation.

D - A solid pale ale, but nothing particularly exciting, particularly considering the numerous superior pale ales currently on-tap at 3 Floyds. I'm curious if they were testing a new hop variety with this one, as it's a somewhat superfluous offering with 4-5 other pales ales currently on-tap. Still, had not problem finishing a pint.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

2.14/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

I shall take responsibilty for being the first full review on this one...
Hopefully people don't see this and allow it to skew their viewpoint.

Anyway... $5 for an imperial pint... I'll be honest, I could have done with a little taster glass of this guy.

Orangey golden amber body with a 1.5 finger head. Rather weak lacing for an FFF pale ale. The retention is only slightly better.

Smells... Well... This is a first-- smoked malt in a pale ale? I figured I was losing my mind upon first smell (an taste!) because I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I've never encountered a pale ale with smoked malt... And yet, I now feel I need to amend that statement.

The 58 IBUs are completely lost here. The finish holds only the mildest of bitterness, instead I get a chalky sweetness with a slightly acrid malt note. I will flat out state: I am not really digging this one.

A dank earthy character underlies the floral, grass, and spicy hop notes.
As it warms I grow less certain that smoked malt was used, but more certain that I don't really like this beer. It isn't entirely terrible, and not terrible in its entirety, but it is not one I have interest in finishing, let alone drinking again.

Overall-- no thanks.

Edit-- perhaps no smoked malt was used, but then this beer was too balanced, not hoppy enough, and very earthy (like dirty) tasting. Oh well-- smoked or not, I still say no thanks.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Michiana Power from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.