Permanent Funeral | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Added by MasterSki on 03-25-2013

Ratings: 2,870 |  Reviews: 334

2.66/5  rDev -40.4%

22 oz bottle courtesy of Kyle via some kind relative. Thank you kindly for the opportunity!

Golden shower on the pour.

Smells of booze and sweet and sour sauce....the industrial type that likely litters the back room of your local Great Wall or something similarly universal and bland.

Good lord this is sloppy beer. Sweet and sickly pineapple sinfully penetrates the la Choy pseudo Asian condiment, leaving some love it if its mine loathe it if its not progeny that only a Pig Destroyer or a Floyd's apologist can love.

Overly sickly sweet and far too boozy for its own good.

This just isn't a very good beer.

2.69/5  rDev -39.7%

Too malty. High abv is hidden by the flavor, but not my thing really. Glad to try it, but one and done on this beer.

2.78/5  rDev -37.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

I'm resigned to the fact that certain flavor profiles must not be compatible with my palate. This was a bottle less than 30 days old, and was reminiscent of stale, cold french onion soup. Looked nice, didn't smell terrible, but the taste of garlic and onion was overwhelming. Bad bottle? I don't know. Maybe I'll find out someday. As much I adore Gumballhead and Zombie Dust, this was an epic 3F's failure for me. I'll chalk it up as an "it wasn't meant to be" experience and move on.

2.8/5  rDev -37.2%

Why this beer gets 100 on BeerAdvocate is beyond me. this beer tastes stale and oxidized, cloying with the malt, and I drank a fresh bottle! (only 3 weeks old). 3Floyds is just not good with IPAs. Stouts yes, but their IPAs suck. they need to learn how to brew a new age IPA like New England.

2.82/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy burnt golden with a fluffy eggshell white head that doesn't fall leaving great retention and very sticky lacing. Looks very good. The aromas are disappointing. Very faint. Smells like an old IPA. Tons of orange and lots of malts. Lots of bread. The flavors are full of citrus and caramel malts. Syrupy. Some pine resin. Subtle spiciness. Some black pepper in the finish. Not really bitter. Meh. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied and very creamy with active carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed, although it's sweet and warm.

I really like 3Floyds, so I'm not being a "hater". I hope this is an old bottle. The date was smeared, go figure. This is my first time having this after years of hearing the hype. Easily the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced based on expectations. There's no way this is the beer that everyone praised. Bottles have been popping up around around Cleveland for Cleveland Beer Week, so I'm assuming this is relatively fresh. Disappointing, but I would still like to try this again just to see if this bottle was a fluke.

3.2/5  rDev -28.3%

3.28/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Acquired in a trade with Duff27. Thanks! 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with interesting label art and standard branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery and its current ratings.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 3.5 finger beige colour head of nice thickness and cream, and damn good (~8 minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear understated pale copper; fairly vibrant. Translucent and refreshing-looking. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I like the clarity. Very impressed by the head. Lacing is uneven but thick. It could be frothier. I'm really looking forward to drinking this.

Sm: Pleasant floral hop character. Thick fresh pale malts. Resinous as hell. Hop oils come through - though not in a Lagunitas hop extract kind of way - more in a natural thickly layered manner. Nectary. Grassy. A twinge of lemon/lemongrass. No alcohol or yeast character is detectable. Clean and inviting. Hops are dominant. I'm excited to try this. A rather mild aroma for such a heavy Imperial IPA. Luckily, no hop bitterness is detectable. I hope the flavour profile is as balanced as the aroma.

T: A bit heavier on the malts than I was anticipating; I get heavily layered thick pale malts and grassy somewhat heavy grains. They give it definite presence but sap drinkability. Heavy powerful floral hops. Overzealous hop oils. Any light nectary or citrusy character gets buried by the other hop notes - which overwhelm. Some alcohol is detectable, but overall it's very well hidden. No yeast character comes through. Vaguely fruity, but I don't get any luscious juicy hop esters. Resinous as hell - a dominant characteristic. It's a bit overbearing, which really takes a toll on the balance. Luckily, little hop bitterness comes through. But I'm not sure that end justifies the means; the heavy malt backbone really thickens it to such extent that it's difficult to drink. It's a monstrous brew, but I wouldn't dare call it complex or subtle. The hop character is muted by the taxing malt component. Do I like it? Sure. But I expected far far better. It's just not that flavorful, all things considered.

Mf: Way too thick and heavy on the palate for the style, ruining any chance of it being refreshing or particularly pleasant. A biteen overcarbonated. Overbearing on the palate. Too full-bodied without enough diverse and deep flavours to justify it. Smooth and wet - to style. It suits the flavour profile decently, but it's far from ideal.

Dr: I will say that it's pretty drinkable considering the high ABV. But you wouldn't want more than one; in fact even just this bottle will take some time to finish. The thick filling body makes it a lot to take on, and there just isn't enough flavour to really keep me interested. I expected this to blow my mind, but I think it suffers from a common issue with (I)IPAs: it's not a contest to see who can brew a higher ABV, higher IBU, and/or higher hop content beer. Brewing is a matter of care and balance, and while I see some of that here, it seems more interested in indulging trends than in generating something lasting.

Even if your goal is a high ABV hoppy Imperial IPA, this just isn't that drinkable. I'd argue that something like Dogfish Head 120 Minute is twice as drinkable at twice the ABV - and I'm not even that big a fan of Dogfish Head.

I honestly wouldn't get this again unless it was on-draught. A good but not great offering from Three Floyds.

Low B-

02/04/14: Another bottle from Duff27. Bottled 12/2013. Truncated notes:

A: 1 - 1.5 finger wide head of white colour. Nice cream and thickness. Nice even fluffy consistency. Complexion could be smoother. Not much lacing. Retains for 5 minutes.

Body colour is a pale copper of average vibrance. No yeast is visible.

Sm: Warm alcohol-laden fruit: tangerine, mango, tropical fruit. Pale malts. Hoppy bitterness seems well checked by malty sweetness.

A moderately strong aroma. Not stellar for a pale ale or IPA.

T/Mf: Hop bitterness does come through - esp. on the climax, which ruins the balance. There're plenty of hop notes here, but the tropical fruit dominates, which isn't ideal for my personal tastes. I want more resinous and oily hop character. Maltwise, there's too much emphasis on the caramalt and not enough on the pale malts. It's somehow both too sweet and too bitter.

Heavy, thick, filling, full-bodied, overbearing. Shallow depth of flavour. Not gestalt.

Dr: I'll finish with some effort. Not a fantastic beer, and not up to par with 3 Floyds' reputation. I doubt I'd get it again, even if I chanced across it on the shelf. I think it's personal taste in large part; I'm just not a big fan of this kind of tropical fruit profile.

C+

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.