Permanent Funeral | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral
4.5/5
World-Class
Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Added by MasterSki on 03-25-2013

#112

Ratings: 2,953 |  Reviews: 346

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle into pint glass. Bottled in December, drank in June. I wish this was FRESH, but I am so happy I got it!

A- Golden Straw body with a single finger white head
S - Citra HOPS! Sweet, citrus and flowery
T- WOW, Again I wish can't wait to try this fresh to taste some of the shaper hops, but this is crazy good in terms of the hop bill. Just like the smell, I get sweet, citrus and flowers. No sharp pine to speak of.
M - Solid IPA feel. I may be so distracted by the hops flavors that I'm giving extra point to the mouthfeel.
O- Next time I see this beer, I am going to buy as many as I can and drink them all as fresh as possible.

4.37/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to chidave!

A: light bronze, crystal clear, 1finger of head with nice lacing
S: BIG floral aroma not so much citrusy
T: major hop presence with an extremely bitter aftertaste. great carbonation
M: this hops vapor rub coating seems like it will linger all evening
O: this is a great dbl ipa which to me is consistent with the great run of the mill west coast style dbl ipa. glad to have taken off the list.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

Holy shit! I cannot how believe how much of a grapefruit bomb this beer is and how light bodied it is for 10.5% ABV! I am sure their must be a good deal of corn sugar in here to make it this light but the way it is used is exceptional.

4.19/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle (bottled 3/6/14) poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a quite hazy, pale orangey golden color, almost fruit juicy in appearance with a thick cap of off-white, dense foam and lots of sticky lacing on the glass.

S - Thick and heavy hop aroma, plenty fruity with tropical notes of pineapple, citrusy grapefruit and resiny pine. Firm malt backbone too...sweet maltose, caramel, a bit worty in aroma. A fair amount of yeasty esters too...contributes to the overall fruitiness of the beer.

T - I get a big piney hop blast on the first sip that plays off of the sweet, sugary, maltose'y malt profile. The malt gives this an impression of almost a hop syrup. Not especially bitter, rather focusing on the hop flavors - again tropical in nature with a mix of pine and some slightly background citrus. Mildly buttery, caramelly, noticeable alcohol, estery, lightly yeasty.

M - Has the feel of being a very big beer...which it is. Thick and syrupy in body with a lowish/medium carbonation that brings some life and shows a tendency towards foamy in feel. Has a sweet candy on bitter and fruity hop flavor that is mildly dessert-like. Alcohol is noticeable, but not distracting - you do know that this has a bit of a kick to it though.

O - Its been a while since I've had a bottle of Dreadnaught, but this seems reminiscent of that fine beer in my recollections. Malt profile is pure Three Floyds - their bigger IPA/DIPA offerings seem pretty similar in this regard. I think the yeast used in common among many of these beers too. I find Three Floyds and Stone have very distinctive and identifiable fermentation profiles that I feel confident I can pickup blind pretty easily. Very glad I got to give this one a try.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.5 out of 5 with 2,953 ratings