Tiberian Inquisitor | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Tiberian InquisitorTiberian Inquisitor
Liked This Beer
3.14 w/ 240 Ratings
Tiberian InquisitorTiberian Inquisitor

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Want to have your most hidden secrets torn from the dark recesses of your soul? Tiberian Inquisitor will do just that. This Belgian-style ale aged for one year in French oak is a beer to be reckoned with.

Added by MasterSki on 04-16-2013

1.25/5  rDev -60.2%

4.75/5  rDev +51.3%

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

3.64/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I bought the beer first, then read the reviews and got scared. I thought this was going to be Bully Guppy all over again. It does remind me of that on the nose a little but not nearly the acetone scent from the Guppy. Fortunately, most of the reviewers were harsh. Definitely something odd and off about the beer, but much better than expected.

One review likened the smell to Carmel apples and I can see that. It has a sweet/fruity scent mixed with Chardonnay. Personally I kind of like it.

The taste is nowhere near what you'd expect from a pale ale. There is no hop feel or bitterness in is beer. It has a sour funky Belgian thing going on, but again not in a bad way.

Personally, I'm glad I bought a bomber and was able to try it. I would suggest aging something like this in a different type of barrel next time. But it was an interesting experience.

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

4.16/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served on draft at Three Floyd's on 5/4/2013

A: Served in a tulip glass. A slightly murky copper color with a finger and a half white fluffy head. The head receeds fairly quickly leaving a white rim with a little lacing.

S: It literally smells like a caramel apple. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled. Loads and loads of apple and caramel aromas. Really interesting!!

T: The taste follows the smell very closely. I get tons of apple skin, dry oak barrel, a little vanilla, and lots of caramel on the finish. I can tell the wine barrels definitely dryed the beer out, but the sweet caramel kicks in on the back-end. For a 9.5% beer, I don't get any detectable alcohol. Again, very interesting and very unique.

M: A fairly standard Belgian mouthfeel, although it is definitely dry.

O: I don't see where all the hate comes from honestly. I told the server I'd try it out of "morbid curiosity" because I had heard so many bad reviews. But I was definitely pleasantly surprised. It is unlike anything I've ever had before, and I'm very happy I tried it. I can't stress it enough - it smells and tastes just like a caramel apple.

2.64/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle shared by Chainsaw. I would say "Thanks!" but I'm pretty sure sharing this was a malevolent act.

A. Light amber with a coarse white head.

S. Bacterial, burnt caramel, lightly acetic, acetone, raisiny, soapy, dried fruit.

T. Heavy chardonnay, leathery, white raisins, pineapple, astringent oak. The taste isn't quite as bad as the aroma, but it's not good either.

M. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O. Something went wrong with the barrel-aging, as there are a bunch of off-aromas and flavors here that are odd and unpleasant. Stay away.

1.79/5  rDev -43%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Big thanks to mjohnson17 for this one! Just wanted to see what all the butthurt was about...

It's a beautiful looking beer. That's for sure. Sort of a burnt honey gold body stuffed with beading and capped with a frothy off-white to khaki head that exhibits a healthy amount of lace.

Not very beautiful on the nose. Certainly is aggressive... smells like it was aged in a Franzia barrel. Where did they find a Franzia barrel?

This is awful. Really, really awful. It tastes like it smells... it's like they took some sort of Belgian style beer and aged it in a used paint can with trace amounts of shampoo and Drano.

I'm actually a little embarrassed for the Floyds. I'm not sure how you could release this beer with a straight face.

Tiberian Inquisitor from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 25.4% out of 100 with 240 ratings