Tiberian Inquisitor | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Tiberian InquisitorTiberian Inquisitor

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Want to have your most hidden secrets torn from the dark recesses of your soul? Tiberian Inquisitor will do just that. This Belgian-style ale aged for one year in French oak is a beer to be reckoned with.

Added by MasterSki on 04-16-2013

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

3.84/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured about 4oz out of a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - The color is a murky brown that neither looks inviting nor repulsing. Carbonation is average with a half inch of head.

S - The first thing that hit me was a woody smell follow by apple cider and then a faint hint of alcohol. I actually enjoyed the smell and was hoping the flavor would be as complex.

T - There are all sorts of things going on in the background, but again, I got major apple cider flavors. In fact, if I was blind folded, I might have thought this was some kind of hard cider. The chardonnay barreling was quite noticeable, and when I didn't think I was drinking cider, I thought I was drinking wine. Unlike other reviewers, I thought the alcohol was actually masked very well.

M - There was nothing spectacular about the feel. It was quite smooth for me, but it probably could have used a bit more carbonation.

O - After reading all of the reviews on this beer, I was prepping for the worst. Maybe these low expectations actually made the beer enjoyable to me. I split it with 4 people, but I could easily have had all 22oz to myself. I wouldn't seek it out again, but it's definitely worth trying.

3.74/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chardonay nodes in beer always throw me off. I split this with a couple of fairly knowledgable beer dudes they swore up and down they tasted brett. Nope, I kept saying, that's just weirdly sour funky wine nodes, we just *want* to think that it's brett because then we don't have to be scared about what we're drinking.

Anyhow, it's a big messy bag of all sorts of nodes. Much more good than bad, but still some weird chemical wisps sneak their way in there, giving the drinker pause (the off nodes are much more present in the aroma than in the flavor). Mostly it's like a soured-up Belgian blonde with uncharacteristically fiery alcohol nodes. Neat, well worth trying, but nothing I feel the need to revisit.

1.75/5  rDev -45.8%

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

4.75/5  rDev +47.1%

1.48/5  rDev -54.2%

22oz bottle poured into FFF Teku.

A - Pours with a finger of white foam. Has a brownish/reddish hue to it. Looks unassuming of the horrors that lie next.

S - Smells like if someone took a glass of chardonnay and poured liquid cement into it. Smells very astringent, like Icy/Hot. Very off-putting.

T - I will not be finishing this. After this review, it will be drainpoured. Upon the sip, you get a faint belgian blonde taste, but that's very quickly washed out by rubbing alcohol. Lots of it. Perhaps more like moonshine. Either way, this isn't working. After that fades, it does leave a bit of wine-like sweetness that is pleasant after the train wreck I just tasted, but memories of what I just went through are keeping me from wanting another sip.

M - The alcohol is extremely present here. Pervasive almost, and this is to someone who loves big beers! Other then that, I guess I can give it credit for being true to "style" in texture.

O - I was warned by a couple BA's to not buy a bottle, but I didn't listen. This is not drinkable. If you are going to try it, split it with 10-12 people.

Tiberian Inquisitor from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.