3 Floyds / Surly Urine Trouble | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

3 Floyds / Surly Urine Trouble3 Floyds / Surly Urine Trouble

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed with our friends at Surly, this Imperial Brett IPA is fermented with a unique strain of yeast, Brettanomyces Lambicus. This yeast creates earthy barnyard notes along with pineapple and cherry pie aromas. Of course, it’s hopped heavily. Simcoe and Chinook are the culprits for the “cat peed on the Christmas tree” aroma.

Added by MasterSki on 04-19-2013

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

2.27/5  rDev -44.4%

As soon as I saw that it was a Surly/FFF collaboration, I rushed to the brewpub and bought my two bottles. I couldn't have been more excited, but unfortunately, this one is a huge disappointment. They might as well have called it “Return of the Tiberian Inquisitor” (I didn’t care for that one, either). On the bright side: Fans of T.I. will likely love this one; I definitely recommend it for BAs who liked Tiberian Inquisitor, but it seems FFF can’t seem to get the sours right.

I thought the name and the jokes about cat-urine-soaked-Christmas-trees in its description were kind of a tongue-in-cheek, wink-wink joke, but they're not. This beer smells and tastes like my cat’s litterbox (and I don't mean that as hyperbole; the aroma and flavor are very much like cat urine), and at $15 a bottle, it was an expensive joke FFF played on me (and like I said, I bought two; luckily I had a friend to share the first bottle with). I don’t think I’ll be rushing the forty-five minutes to the brewpub for any more limited release sours. It’s drinkable—as an experiment or challenge or another way of expanding your palate and testing its limits—but barely.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.65/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Phenomenal.
More Brett than IPA but an overall joy.
Appearance is a rich yellow-gold, a tad cloudy and moderate head.
Smell is diverse - rich with fruit but also teeming with musty yeast.
Taste is extraordinary. It's all at once sweet, hoppy, flavorful. A bit of fruit but not dominating.
Overall, incredibly well done brew from two legends. I hesitated because the last couple 3F one-offs were heavy on acetone and priced at $15, as is this one. But I'm now happy I've made multiple trips for bottles, as I suspected these two brewers wouldn't disappoint.
Suspicions confirmed.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

2.05/5  rDev -49.8%

One of the most disappointing beers I've had from 3f. Definitely an appropriate name. However Cat Piss would've been more appropriate. I wouldn't say it's horrible but it definitely is not worth the $15 per bottle. There are waaay better seasonal s out there now

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Northdown. Served in a tulip.

A - Off-white foam settles to a solid cap, thick collar, and splotches of lacework. Hazed golden orange body.

S - An interesting mix of tropical funk, a bit of earthiness, pine, and a definite hint of cat pee. Quite zesty and in-your-face, and as exactly as promised. Not a ton of malt character; guessing the brett gobbled most of the sugars. Alcohol is well hidden.

T - The taste isn't quite as good. Starts fruit and sweet early, but finishes with some dirty brett, pine bitterness, and some lingering astringency and medicinal notes.

M - Dry, medium body, pleasant moderate carbonation, light warming alcohol, and a pleasant, clean finish. Actually seems like a smaller beer than the listed 9%, but not in a bad way.

D - Delivers exactly what the description promised, but I'm not entirely convinced by the concept. I think Brett C might have worked better, as it's the dirty and medicinal finish that really fails for me. Solidly executed, as you'd expect from Surly and 3 Floyds, and definitely the best brett beer I've had from the latter.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
3 Floyds / Surly Urine Trouble from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.