Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Ratings: 5,844 |  Reviews: 1,559

2.18/5  rDev -48.2%

Tried to order a Budweiser at this hipster bar in downtown Chicago and was informed that "they do not carry bud products" This should have been a red flag given that bud is the most popular beer in the country. Waitress suggested gumballhead which was the featured beer. It came in some stupid ass wine glass but other than that looked fine with kind of a medium amber color. All downhill from there...it tasted like complete shit with an almost chemical after taste
I found myself forcing it down with my meal. Super hard to drink...and don't give me any of that "refined pallet" bullshit they should serve this beer in shot glasses with a chaser and no i don't live in a trailer or watch NASCAR I'm a normal person with
pretty normal tastebuds

2.26/5  rDev -46.3%

I have read a lot of good reports about this beer so I must have had a bad bottle. It was a 22 oz. from a local liquor store.

The brew smelled like grapefruit and tasted like it too. Carbonation was OK and mouthfeel was OK too but the taste was very harsh and on the extreme sour side.

Not one I was impressed with and probably need to try again.

2.28/5  rDev -45.8%

2.4/5  rDev -43%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -39.9%

Poured this 22 oz. bomber into a weizen glass. Body was a honey golden yellow color. Two fingers of chunky head subsided rather quickly.

Smelled fruity. Fresh hop aroma. As the beer warmed I began to smell the wheat.

Taste was a pleasant tart on the first swallow. Then the aspirin taste of the Amarillo hops kicked in. The hops really obscure the wheat flavor. Like sucking on an aspirin.

Not as smooth as most wheat beers. More raspy and hoppy with less wheat taste than one would expect. Mild carbonation.

Overall this beer is over-rated. I will not buy another. I have liked all other Three Floyds offerings but I would say that the FFF name may be skewing the ratings for this one. If the label said "BUD" I doubt this would rate so high.

2.68/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Living in PA, I haven't had the chance to try 3F products, so on a recent trip to Chicago I was psyched to finally get the chance. Unfortunately, Gumballhead turned out to be a major disappointment.

It looked fine, but after that, things went downhill. I've rarely encountered such a well-regarded beer with so little aroma or flavor. Frankly, this reminded me more of dishwater than beer. There was a subtle hint of grassiness and a little lemon on the palate, but there was absolutely none of the fabled hop character,. at least that I could detect.

I'd say I had a bad bottle, but this was on tap at a busy restaurant with a beer menu that included only 3 draughts and 3 bottles, so I can't imagine it had been sitting for any extended period of time.

All in all, a bland, boring disappointment of a beer.

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.