Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,552 | Ratings: 5,786
4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Beautiful orange color, 1/2" bubbly head.

Smells like an IPA, this is a wheat beer? All I smell is grapefruit, I guess there's a little grain smell in there.

Full body, quite smooth. Definite wheat flavors blend with a crisp, flowery and citrusy hop presence. Grain flavors begin to show up in the middle along with light bread flavors. Flowery hop flavors wrap it up and leave a light bitterness behind.

A very interesting wheat beer, refreshing on hot days, but packs the hop dose I need.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Orange straw color, spotty head retention and little thin lace.

Smells very fruity. Mostly tutti-fruiti bubblegummy with quite a bit of grassy hops.

Soft and wheaty with some traditional bubblegum flavor and some light tropical or peachy notes, but loaded with spicy grassy hops throughout.

Light and drinkable, would definitely buy as a session beer if available around here. Best wheat beer I can remember drinking.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a very pale golden color with a big white head the dies down, leaving sticky lace on the sides. Aroma, grapefruit and tangerine are dominant with some grainy base aroma underneath, the amarillo hops really dominate here. Flavor starts with sweet/bitter grapefruit up front and continues through to the finish. Moderate carbonation and refreshingly dry with a bit of resinous hop flavor that sticks to the tongue. This beer tastes like happy.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Gumballhead pours a dirty bright yellow, a very pasty thin white swirling head. The nose is an on/off combo of faint hops, fresh fruit, herbs and definitive citrus-like aromas, more noticeable towards the middle-to-end of this beverage. The initial taste could confuse some of the most experienced beer lovers--a hop-infused wheaty biscuity blend. There is a fair amount of carbonation, in fact a bit over-powering at times. Zesty, creamy and hoppy; each sip and drink develops a sort of a different blend of flavorings, am I enjoying a hop-infused-wheat beer here? Yes. Lemon peels, orange juice and table crackers noted in the body. With 3-Floyds, it's not a surprise that they've "hopped up" another brew, but this AP Wheat Ale tops em' all--this is a gem, smooth and slick and a winner in my book.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a bright golden honey with a 1/2" head that leaves rings of lacing after my sips. Smell is big on wheat cracker, bready and nutty malt, some estery fruitiness, and soft amarillo citrus. Taste is pale malted barley and wheat with a slight toastiness in tha overall malt body. I pick up some apple and pear like fruitiness in this along with the amarillos kicking in with the citrus flavors. Finishes dry and bitter. Mouthfeel is not exactly light, but it manages to not be heavy either. Could use a little more bubbles. This is ridiculously drinkable and I wish this were available here in TEXAS.

I had almost written off this whole beer style, but this beer here blew me away. Bad ass.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Comes in an eye-catching bomber with no date noted anywhere. Careful not to disturb the sediment, the beer pours golden, clear, and with a thick rocky head and tons of carbonation bubbles. Smell is wonderously hoppy---floral and piney primarily, but a little citrus as well. Taste is more of the same hops upfront, with a nice wheaty backbone and a somewhat tart citric taste in the middle giving way to a quickly fading bitter aftertaste. Medium body with a creamy mouthfeel makes for very easy drinking. This is unlike any wheat beer I've ever had, in a stupendously good way. This is the absolute best summer brew for hopheads that I've yet come across.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great dark golden color. The short lived fizzy head smelled of many different fruits but still had a bit of malt in it.

The taste was great and beats most other wheat beers I've tasted. The beer finished fruity with a twist of sweet but didn't leave my mouth as clean as I would have liked. Not a big downfall, but enough to keep me from drinking more that one or two. A bomber is more than enough.

The carbonation helped to keep the beer from being too syrupy. A great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jisom123 for this at Jackie O's 8/11. Served from bottle to Jackie O's munich glass.

A - crystal clear copper color with thin head that quickly faded to just a few white spots; no lacing so far
S - wow this is a highlight; sweet perfume-y fruit that does remind of bubblegum; could smell this all day
T - hops mingle with soft fruity flavors; toasty at end with drying hops finish
M - slightly prickly medium-high carbonation that borderlines peppercorn but fades quickly; leaves semi-sweet melon finish that resembles overall taste
D - really like this one; very drinkable with somewhat unique palate of soft, semi-sweet perfume and light bitterness; would never guess this as any kind of wheat beer in a blind tasting

*the label is dope also...

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Light orange with a nice haze, some floaties, but nothing too dramatic

S: Lots of piny hop characteristic, orange, tangerine, and plenty of citrus going on here. Some slight maltiness comes through but is overpowered

M: Very smooth, as I was expecting it to be a bit more viscous and sticky. Finishes clean and a very clean, refreshing ending.

T: Hoppy, piny, citrusy with some malt characteristics that, as advertised, aren't found in most summer wheat beers that I can remember.

Had this on tap the night before DLD 2009. I remember it having a bit better flavor profile and highly suggest you have it at the brewery if you can. Overall, a great summer beer that I could drink all day.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a yellow gold with a nice white head.

S: Lots of hops atop a nice wheat background. Mild sweetness, but the big players here are all the little hops that found their way into the delectable brew.

T: Hops are ever-present--there's not so much a bitterness from them, but a tropical sweetness that's really enhanced by the wheat. By far the best-tasting wheat beer I have ever encountered.

M: Fairly light bodied with a nice creaminess to it.

D: Unsurpassed drinkability. This is one that I wouldn't mind loading up with several cases of to drink throughout the warmer months, and I plan to do just that next year.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was my first try at American Hoppy Wheat beers. Wow, what an eye opener. The appearance is a very clear pale orange/yellow color, small white head. The smell is all fruit: orange, peach and tangerine. I really like the fact that those flavors are not the only thing you get, this is a well integrated wheat beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Listen. I, as a, small minded, standard, do not care for wheat beers. I respect them I just don't love them. So when I had a couple of these Gumballheads I was not expecting too much. The great hops and red wheat combine like chocolate and peanutbutter(figuratively) to make a badass easy sipping beer that has a lot of grapefruit, Lemon, and peach notes. I loved it. In fact I want to go back and change my review scores...done. So three floyds (not sold in my great state) your winning streak continues in my book. Good Day.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Perfectly clear gold, with a white head that doesn't quite last long enough. The smell is wonderful. Lots of sweet malt and fruity wheat smell along with the characteristic amarillo hops smell which comes off as sweet citrusy fruit. Very pungent indeed. Taste is at first a very nice light sweetness from the malt. Then the hops take over and give this more citrus flavor than any wheat beer I've ever had, except when a server decided to cram an orange slice into my Blue Moon for some reason. A light bitterness is in the finish. Wow, this is refreshing. It could use a little bit more carbonation though, maybe I let this bottle sit for a bit too long in the fridge. I remember it being better on tap at the brewery.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Thickerfreakness rules for sending me this one! Decanted from the bottle into a weizen glass. Pours a golden color with a one-finger head that fizzes away quickly. Big aromas of pineapples and wheat, with a little spice underneath. Tastes of slightly bitter hops, wheat, biscuity malts, and a general fruitiness. The fruit really shows up after swallowing the beer. Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium and well carbonated. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've had, period. Overall this isn't quite what I expected, but totally awesome.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Fantastic! So disappointed I only had one bottle. This has to be one of my all time top brews.

Pours a dark, cloudy gold with a nice big head. Looks great. Aroma is very IPA-like, with lots of grapefruity and piney hops.

Flavour is restrained but complex. Smooth, hefe-like mouthfeel but IPA-like hops. The combination works beautifully, and is as balanced as it can get. Aftertaste is well balanced as well -- neither feature of the beer stands out, but rather they combine into something unique.

I look forward to seeking out a greater quantity of this one, for sure!

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

I poured this bomber into two tulips and observed a slight cloudy, light-golden body, with a small head. Very little carbonation, no sediment.
It had a wonderfully floral hoppy nose, with hints of honey, some wheat, alcohol and plenty of citrus; orange and mild lemon.
The taste was exceptionally complex, with a smack in the face of hops at first, piney, sweet, floral and clean, which faded into a wheaty dry aftertaste. It was only mildly carbonated, and left a clean, dry taste after each sip.
I know this is billed as a wheat, but I got a mostly hoppy ale feeling from this beer. Don't get me wrong, it was right up there with some of the best pale ales and IPAs I've had recently, but not much of a wheat. Overall, extremely complex and 100% unique.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

What in previous bottles I've had was a peachy froth of capping, had fizzled out quickly with this one. What remains is only a thin collar, tightly bound to the outside circumference. To the light, the body takes on a lemon juice yellow colour. Away from the light, the beer shifts to a more enhance shade of sunset orange.

This smell should be a legal trademark of Three Floyds. A bursting bouquet, both fruity and sappy, that blooms with huge blasts of tangerine, grapefruit, and citrus. There are notes of pineapple and mango as well. This is island punch for the hophead!

The mouthfeel is crisp and tremendously refreshing. A perfect balance is struck between hops and malt, bitterness and softness. Just a tad acidic, which only adds to its quenching power. It passes over the palate almost too smoothly.

With every sip I take I can imagine myself doing 'snow angels' in a truck full of freshly picked hops. I lay there, on my back, swinging my arms up and down, the smile on my face ear to ear. A beautiful exotic woman brings me a hallowed out pineapple with a straw umbrella garnishing its side. From this I drink the most wonderful beverage - this is that beverage.

I read one reviewer of this beer say "... I'm really starting to become a fan of Three Floyds". Really? Just now? I was a fan even before I ever tried one of their beers! (Common, how cool is ALL their label artwork?) Drink one - any - Three Floyds beer and you'll be a fan.

These guys know how to brew; they are certainly among the best in the United States. If there's anything they may very be the best at it's brewing hoppy beers. Three Floyds has mastered this to the point of flawlessness. Point in case: the Gumballhead.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

American wheat beer is supposed to suck. Wheat tastes like crap -- cut out the flavorful hops, the big, fat, estery yeast, and you're left with liquid bread. Not in the good way we think of beer as nourishing and complete, but literally like a loaf of bread tossed in the blender with some water.

I don't see why we should call this a hefe, much less judge it by those standards. What's wild about this beer is that there's no yeast in suspension -- it's as clear as Miller Lite and brillantly so. Yet, the aroma and flavor profile are very hefe -- subtle notes of bubblegum and phenols. The bubblegum, however, is laced with oranges, a spot of lemon, and flowers, straight from the powdery lupulin that is the Amarillo hop. And, staying true to its name, a gentle wheat graininess at the end gives us the perception of phenols. Without more yeast, however, there's no way this could have that great creamy body of a true hefe. Unless, of course, the malt is just viscous enough to contribute body without any added sweetness. It's as if the Floyds said "Yeah, we know American yeasts make boring wheat beers -- but WE don't make boring beer."

The hops are fresh, fresh as the morning dew, yet never intrusive. But there's no denying that this is an Amarillo bomb and one that, 22 ounces later, becomes very one-dimensional. I was trying to pinpoint the flavor and recalled tasting hops fresh out of the bag when I first started brewing. These Amarillos are even fresher -- on the palette they are a combination of taste and smell -- a full sensory experience. This is all the stuff of great -- truly great -- American pale ale supplanted with wheat and made none the worse for wear.

So liquid and juicy up front like a cask IPA; so tame yet full of flavor from the Amarillo hops.

3Floyds has once again redefined a style and this time it is the American wheat: do not be afraid of hops; they, too, may be gentle. And the glory has come to us.

Relax, relax.
ng

Thank you betsona!
12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Clear yellow with bright hint of copper and a three finger white head.

S- Nice crisp citrus hop, sweet malts wheat, a hint of floral hops.

T- Well balanced, hops are definitely there, but do not take over the flavor. Nice wheat and sweet malt taste in the middle.

M- A little on the lighter side, smooth, crisp, refreshing.

D- This goes down really easy. I wish I could get lager quantities of this near me because I would love to be able have this waiting for me after a long day of work on a nice spring day.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

One of my first FFF offerings. I was not disappointed. This beer is awesome. It looks like a run of the mill wheat. Lively carbonation, yellow in color. The aroma was awesome. All hops. I wasn't sure what to expect .... The taste was epic. All wheat with a nice hoppy finish. Extremely drinkable. Wonderful session beer. No overly sweet flavors, no banana or clove or coriander just a straightforward kick ass brew.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into an Iron Man pint glass.

Hard pour yields a fizzy white head that dies down to a layer of foam on top. Hazy golden color. Wisps of lacing down the glass.

Smells of pineapple, tropical fruits, and hints of bubblegum. Very fruitty/hoppy for a wheat ale.

Sweet pineapple and tropical fruits. Then a very distinct bubble gum flavor followed by a nice wheat flavor. Almost IPA like with some wheat used for malts. Quite interesting.

Light bodied with high end of medium carbonation, and a nice little hop bite on the end.

Incredibly drinkable. I would definitely session this... if only 3F's were distributed in California.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

This is my very first beer review. Seeing as how I live in Chicago I have have this beer soo many times. And I must say that it is a great representation of what 3 floyds can do.

A: hazy golden yellow tinted orange

S: The aromas on the beer are of citrus and hoppy in nature

T: Fantastic! It balances complex and even somewhat sweet wheat with fabulously rich hops flavors and a hint of pine with loads of hops.

M: Carbonated with a medium.

D: Can easily put back numerous of these in one sitting...

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Two inch head fell pretty quickly, may have been a bad pour or something??? Regardless, a film stays atop of the beer throughout the entire glass, coating the sides in thick chunks of lace. As for body, sort of an amber, very clear and somehow very enticing, though I'm having trouble putting why into words.

When I read "wheat beer" on the bottle, I thought I was in for a much different beer than I got. I have to say I was so pleasantly surprised too. I've been drinking a lot of wheat beers over the summer and I feel just about due for a rich, juicy assault of hops. I smell juicy, grapefruit-infested hops right out of the bottle, even with the glass a couple of feet away, the scent finds you. There are other sweet, malty characteristics to the aroma too.

Wow. I couldn't have expected this taste to be so well-rounded. I figured I was in for some wheat flavor, and I knew there had to be heavy hops, so I didn't know what was coming. My first instinct is to pay note to the wheaty base, very calming and smooth. This moves into the hops, they kind of come through toward the back of the tongue. Grapefruit and lemon are key in the flavor, pine coming through a bit and an almost rosemary-like taste.

Overall, sweet and refreshing. Very crisp flavors.This is exactly what I needed to drink. There isn't much for carbonation, and the body is moderately heavy. I'm going to be getting some more of this down the road. I wish it was available in my area, it'd be a terrific session beer IMO.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

I enjoyed this after a meeting at The Crane Alley in Urbana. Hazy blond body topped by two pillowy fingers of white head; nice durability and lacing. The smells are rich and lively--plenty of citrus, ample spice, definitely veering toward sweet. I get orange, tangerine, and peach with pepper and coriander--lovely.

After such a nose, anything less than an excellent taste would be a letdown. Thankfully, Gumballhead does NOT disappoint. It's very fruity yet not cloying or syrupy. Light and smooth, this is a terrific representative of the style. Its exquisite texture is reminiscent of German wheats such as Ayinger and Erdinger, though a bit fuller in flavor. Gumballhead compares quite favorably, which says a lot.

Gumballhead left me highly impressed. I figured this would be a good APWA. Not only was it great, it was also one of the very best offerings I've ever had from Three Floyds. Tremendous.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

I drank this in a pint glass from a tap.

The beer is a dark gold yellow with a light white head. There is decent but minimal lacing.

There is a not a strong aroma coming from the beer but you detect slight smells of citrus and flowers.

After the smell I wasn't expecting much, but boy was I wrong.

The taste is great, its lkight but sweet with a very subtle bubblegum finish.

This is a great summer sessional beer that I could drink all night a long.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.