Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,543 | Ratings: 5,742
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Rock solid juicy smell of various tropical fruits.

Smell is similar to nose, but with more nuance. Mouthfeel is great. I feel like there are so many beers that I describe as 'good summer beer', which often feels similar to describing an NFL quarterback as a game manager. This is a great summer beer, which makes me question all the other beers I've called solid summer beers.

You heard it here first. Gumballhead is the Russel Wilson of beer.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a nice golden orange color with a creamy smooth head.

Scent of bitter hops, apricot, citrus and grain. A simple and effective scent.

Taste of apricot, grain, hops and citrus. Again, there isn't much complexity, but this is one of the best Wheat Ales available.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a nice bite of carbonation.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

A- 1" white head. Golden clear color. Thin lacing.
S- Light (floral and citrus) hops, malts, and maybe a bit of fruit.
T- Some light wheat taste and some floral taste. Maybe a hint of fruit also. Light on malts and one other flavor I can't put my finger on.
M-Medium body with medium carbonation. Crisp, bit sticky/chewy but clean.
D- Very good! This is an excellent brew. Goes down very easy and could drink a lot of this especially with it's low ABV. Would be perfect on a very hot summer day.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I was please to share this beer with my bro tenderbranson69 since it is not something that is readily available in PA and I made a clone based on Drew Beechum's gumballhead thoughts on stoutguy.com. I poured the 12oz chilled into the tulip.

A - A lightly cloudy golden w/ amber hues. 2 fingers of thick white head w/ microfoam of off white collects and clings tenaciously

S - A crazy mango and tangelo nose w/ odors of lemony floral acccenting. The hints of wheat are mild w/ pineapple and lots of amarillo which give a mild orange blossum aspect. The mild spice adds a hint of ginger and candied grapefruit to the aroma

M - The texture is great in this beer, so clean yet has a resiny texture. the moderately high carbonation is completely spot on for an American wheat and the mild nutty textures w/ light hop acidity make this feel what I consider great. The toasted notes of malt are there with light spice in the finish

T - The taste has a mild sweet fruit flavor w/ slight grapefruit and lemony citrus notes. The hops provide a floral resinous taste which has mild acidity, but hardly any bitterness. The orange rind elements from the amarillo sink in and light spice edge as the glass continues to be drained. The very refreshing lemony and mild wheat nuttiness is there w/ gentle astringent aspect. The flavor of wheat and citrus blends well w/ an amarillo taste w/ the red wheat adding to the complexity w/ hops resinous quality noticeable in the finish

D - A fantastic wheat w/ a great amount of flavor- hoppy, yet clean w/ lemony bright citrus and just highly drinkable qualities. The beer is so easy to drink at 4.8%, with such quaffability. I could drink this year round if only it were available.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Clear gold, lots of carbonation, big head.

Smell: Strong citrus aroma.

Taste: Lots of grapefruity hops throughout, with a wheat aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp.

Drinkability: Really good stuff.

Picked this up a couple weeks ago in Council Bluffs. It lived up to my expectations--hoppy yet light. Too bad 3F doesn't distribute in Minnesota otherwise this could be a constant session beer for me.

22 oz bottle
Pours a cloudy golden straw color into a Schneider Weiss wheat beer glass. A very nice, 2 finger, dense white head tops this one. Carbonation abounds and crawls its way up the sides of the glass.
Smell is very pale malts, wheat, banana, clove, of couse some bubble gum, and hops.
Taste is very crisp. Banana, wheat, clove dominate. One of the most distinguishing characteristics of this beer I think is how hoppy it is. Hops are very nice and do their best not to dominate the other intricate flavors of the beer, which they do not.
I must admit, I don't normally like American Wheat Beers, but this is outstanding! A fine example. I would try it again if I had access.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Straw golden pour with decent fluffy white head that stays around. Lacing spiders down the sides.

Smells like the inside of a bubblegum coin machine : ) Hop presence with with strains of wheat. Fragrant with citrus.

Tastes of grapefruit rind and pine. Grain malt bill noted. Exceptionally balanced.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side and has been sessionable for me. Crisp and refreshing.

This was my first FFF over three years ago. I still buy it in abundance to this day. The best wheat pale produced today. At one time I couldn't find Gumball Head and a store clerk told me to try a Lil Sumpin Sumpin-absolutely not the same and pales (excuse the pun) by comparison.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%

I may be a bit partial to Gumballhead, it is a top 5 beer for me. I had this on tap that they only had 22 ounce drafts (I was not complaining) It poured a pretty clear but smooth appearance, also noted a little head formed. The aroma is phenomenal, a very hop-forward yet APA scent. Obviously being three floyds the hops will definitely be prevalent and with Gumballhead they did not disappoint. Overall, I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Any time any restaurant has it on draft I will be purchasing.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - crisp-looking, light yellow-orange pour; nice quarter+-inch frothy white head; plenty of effervescent carbonation; hazy straw gold

S - fruity; kind of smells like bubble gum, although maybe that's just the title pervading my thoughts; nice, sweet floral aromas; subtle wheat notes

T - has some up-front bite; lemon zesty; slightly sugary; the bubble gum flavor is actually there and sticks to my mustache after the beer has gone down the trap; some slight grapefruit hints from the hops; citrus fruit

M - the bite note should probably go here, but yeah...it's got an up-front 'cut' of a feel to it; light bodied yet full of flavor; well-balanced; pleasantly carbonated; nuanced for something so fresh and easy on the palate

O - this is truly an exceptional wheat...it's as if FFF took a wheat and pounded it with the right amount of hops to draw out the basic lemon-wheat flavors in traditional wheat beers; this nice flavors, great balance, and an easy profile...a prime example of a summer sipping beer at the beach.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very slight hazy light peach and gold with a two finger white head, which dissipated quickly. A little bit of yeast in suspension. Little lacing.

Aroma: Grapefruit, peach, citrus zest, and faint pine and floral. Some wheat and light malts in the background.

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Grapefruit, peach, and citrus zest. As well as some floral. Some wheat in the middle but mainly hops. A nice wheat taste in the finish. It is not strong but plenty to keep up with the hops.

Mouthfeel: Median- light bodied. Median carbonation. Very smooth. Bitterness is very light. Wet finish.

Overall: Definitely not a normal pale wheat, but it's quite lovely and refreshing. It deserves the attention it gets.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Hazy apricot colored with an off-white head that rises up quickly to about a half inch, then slowly settles as it throws off a strong aroma that wafts up to my nose. As I draw the glass closer for a smell, the aroma is hoppy and pungent. Flowers and honey and tangerine all at once.

Flavor surprisingly doesn't match exactly to the nose, but it's great, probably the most flavor I've ever gotten from a summer beer. Understated biscuit malts riding beneath an assertive hop presence full of sweet citrus, more tangerine, not bitter, a pinch of yeast and butterscotch, and a subtle lemony finish. A little carbonation tingle and a peppery bite in the aftertaste.

This one is just real tasty and interesting and I could drink it all night. Yet another generous donation from BuckeyeNation. Thanks.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Ah, this is more like it! Three Floyds are a local Munster, Indiana brewery that takes chances with their decidedly non-mainstream specialty craft beers, and succeeds more often than not. This top-shelf wheat beer is a nicely-complex and well-balanced taste sensation that measures out the malt and hops wonderfully.

This one pours a regal golden with huge head of foam and ornate lace. Aroma is bread and lemon. Perfect!

Flavors include some crisp spicy zing and a citrus-lemon kick. Superb! With a distinctive sweet-to-bitter followthrough, this exceptional brew is a standout in a sea of American wheat beers. Plus, they score big-time cool points for the bottle's icon and namesake, the Skin Graft Records comic character, Gumballhead the cat. A winner!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Bomber picked up at Vintage Cellar (Blacksburg, VA) middle of July. If there's a date on this one, I can't find it. (Dimly lit room, and loads of condensation on the bottle.)

Let's pop this puppy. Oh, wait...that's a cat on the bottle. :)

As it hits the glass, the head comes raging up, full on. Good thing I am using a 20oz! Nice, just barely off white head. Tight at the bottom, looser at the top. Subsides at a medium pace. Wet lace left behind. Underneath is a very slightly hazy, honey coloured brew. A small field of bubbles rises towards the head.

The smell is all about hops and some yeast. It's earthy, fruity hops. It's a fabulous smell. On a deeper inhalation, the wheat comes through. It's letting the hops take the spotlight, though.

The hop flavour definitely shines through up front- but it's much rounder a flavour than the smell would make you think. Not as rough and earthy, but a little woody. The wheat hits right after, and then a woody quality takes over, and finishes with some spiciness over the top. Very nice.

The body is just a slightly heavier than I would expect from the looks of this one. A tight carbonation is felt more on the finish than anywhere else...it builds as the mouthful is starting to become a memory.

I give this one top marks for drinkability. I could easily get in danger here. This one could be a constant companion on sessions.

I won't rave quite as much as some of my contemporaries will- it's a VERY good beer, but I'm not just absolutely wowwed by it as a few folks I've met have been. If I could get this where I live, a bottle would always reside in my beer closet. I'm very happy with it, and will definitely get my grubby little paws on more when the two bombers I have left are gone.

Be well
-UF

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Thank to beerwolf77 (again!) for this awesome extra. Before I even pour this, I have a distinct feeling that I want at least 2.

A: Pours a transparent (but slightly cloudy) pale gold color with small chunks of yeast floating around. The head is thick, fluffy, dense and creamy in appearance. Lots of foam sticks to the glass. Retention is decent, lasting only a minute or two

S: Delicious hops greet the nose immediately. Resinous, floral, bitter, and fruity. Pineapple, apple skin, grapefruit, and peach. The wheat malt balances the hops very nicely, lending some toffee, caramel, and brown sugar notes. Almost even a little perfumey as it warms.

T: Holy smokes!The wheat malt is more prevalent than in the nose giving you some, well, wheat flavor. Grainy and wheaty. The hops have a strong citrus kick (lemon/grapefruit) as well as some peach and apricot flavors. Honey is also pretty noticeable and adds a sweet flavor to the lively, twangy hops. The brew gets a little bready/wheaty after it decants for a while. Amazingly balanced, and pretty mellow other than the citrus bite, and really delicate.

MF/D: Higher carbonation, which seems to be typical of the style, and of light beers in general to get all those flavors to your senses. Clean and refreshing finish with a lingering honey flavor.

Amazingly refreshing and clean, the ultimate session beer, along with Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss, and I can only imagine this to be the best tailgate beer. My only regret is living outside of the FFF distribution range.

Presentation: 12oz bottle in a Weizen glass

BAside: thanks to a friend & fellow BA for the opportunity to enjoy this!

Poured with some energy, gurgling & snappy. Fantastic citrus nose, crazy full of ripe grapefruit & rind, some pineapple, dull lemon, with echoes of pine sap. Faint straw, old hay & even some ocean air add a floor for this citric party to dance on. With a little air the aroma sweetens, growing more floral. The head, a fat 2 finger's worth of thick, tight, sculpted antique white foam, has great retention and is well over a finger's worth of the same after a nice interlude. Lacing is sporadic at best. It resides overtop a slightly hazy, pale lemon yellow body with a cascade of bubbles rising slowly thru it....a treat for eyes & nose.

Crisp, clean, nicely dry, bursting with citric hops that are almost sharp to the tongue but yet oh so refreshing. My mouth is alive with grapefruit rind, traces of lemon, dull pine, all coming together in what could best be described as a icy hot explosion of taste & mouthfeel over a soft wheat base....just great!

I find myself slowing down and savoring, sipping, very, very atypical for a beer with less than 5% ABV. I enjoy beers that set a leisurely pace, but I'm not used to taste this big in a beer this "small", if you know what I mean.

The citric hops grow sharper in feel yet rounder in taste, more bittersweet on the palate as that crunchy mouthfeel intensifies the dryness with a straw quality. It finishes warmer, thicker with faint leather, yet clean and not filmy or coating, just a great, refreshing vitality as a echo. I am actually sad to see the last mouthful go.

Gumballhead is all the hype. Probably the best tasting & most enjoyable sub 5% beer I've ever had, and definitely one of the Top 20 beers I've enjoyed....period. A true testament to the potential that low ABV beers can have. This would be great with Thai food, Pacific Rim, a crisp salad, whitefish or chicken with citrus, and any zesty, lighter fare. Very impressed. Would drink this again in a heartbeat, and would highly recommend it to anyone....an outstanding beer by any standard!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Everything about this beer screams quaffable. It is my one word for this review. Tasty and simply delicious will follow it up =)

Appearance: pours a golden orange color with a smidge of amber dropped in the mixture. It has large bubbles of carbonation rising to fuel a relatively moderate thick white head that fades to a frothy halo. Lacing is minimal but notable.

Smell: It has a juicy aroma of diluted grapefruit (only very mildly pine) with plenty of wheat yeast and sweet -wet bread aroma. A light maltyness lies beneath the grapefruit. Clean.

Taste: The flavor is fantastic, with a grapefruit kick up front that is bold but not harsh as it is immediately followed by sweet juicy apple (almost a bubblegum attribute) and a perfect balancing malt character. It has tones of pine hop flavor (with citrus elements) but with no harsh bites. WOW! How do they do that. Call it an American Pale Wheat Ale if you like but I have never had one like this before. It is hard to describe this taste because I find it more similar to other IPAs I have had, than to any APWheatAles that I am familiar with. The only thing similar is the slight hint of bubblegum esters. But by the time you get to the fantastic finish, which is quite bitter and leaves grapefruit & apple lingering in your mouth, you have almost forgotten about any wheat beer qualities; in my experience.

Mouthfeel: Tight carbonation bubbles combine with the hoppyness to create a prickly sudsy creamy feel that goes down remarkably easily.

Drinkability: This is not even in the same league with any American Wheat I have ever had to date. The hoppy wheat spiciness was completely unique tasty and (Im going to use the word) quaffable! I could drink this all day on a humid summer Saturday while painting the new fence ;-).

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Got this crazo beer thanks to AgentZero, an awesome trader btw! Poured into an Allagash Tulip glass cause I thought it would look cool, and a good compromise between pint glass and weizen glass. So let's start this exciting review shall we...

A: Pours pretty bright colored with a creamy 1 finger head and slight popping bubbles, bright golden color with slight orange tinge, and a big weizen cloudiness that almost completely disappears after a minute. I'm afraid this thing is minutes from becoming radioactive with this ominous glow.

N: WOW amarillo hops! I almost get a touch of centennial too, but they're pretty similar, some nice citrus and alcohol add a nice touch to it, its also super spicey, almost like sticking my face in a vat of fresh amarillo hops. Touch of wheat and yeast round this interesting nose off. There's also some strange musty aroma that I can't really figure out. But, I could smell this thing all day. Alas, I have to sip it too...

A: Taste starts very strange, pretty fruity and juicy, lots of hop taste, low alpha hops, and creamy fruit. Slight wheat can barely find its way through the hop fog, but after your tastes adjust to the hops a little you can find the little subtle flavors. The juicy hop explosion in my mouth makes me want to call up the Fruit Snack company and market a new Gushers Hop flavor. The creamy juice runs down the back of my tongue and sweetens the sides making my mouth water even more in excitement for the next sip (Yes I'm still talking about beer, I'm married to a woman you jerk). There's still some interesting tropical fruit flavors, a big guava earthy bite and maybe some Passion fruit or papaya... slight spice that builds, and with all the hop punch, its barely bitter. Probably all very late hops that give it a huge wallop of hops and juice flavor but not much bitter.

M: Very juicy and liquidy (that's the only way to describe it, and if you try it you'll know what I'm talking about). Good carbonation.

F: More sweet fruits and juicy flavors linger on the tongue with delicate spice and bitterness. A slight malt and wheat also dry off the tongue. It just makes you want more and more, I could see pounding back a 4 pack of this noooo problem. Drinkability is huge, especially the thirst quenching aspect.

Final thoughts: I'm about 3/4 of the way through his beer already just reviewing it and sipping, sipping, sipping. This is probably the best session beer I can think of and a wicked unique experience. ALl the interesting flavors meld together very well, I'm surprised this beer hasn't been rated higher, perhaps people are looking for a huge bitter beer, or its just too unique for them. I think this beer is completely misunderstood. I've also only had a few FFF beers so far, and I'm a big fan. Their level of experimentation and consistency on great beers seems to remind me a lot of Dogfish Head. Keep on truckin you magnificent bastards.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Served from a 22oz bobmber graced with some interesting artwork of a punk ass cat or something like that. You can certainly count on 3F for interesting labels. Pours out a bright orange color, with just a hint of haze and wisps of swirling white head. Nose is shockingly hoppy for a wheat beer, smelling like a citrus orchard at picking time. No hint of bananas here. Slight wheatiness is also noticeable in the aroma. Very clean flavor, lightly wheaty and loaded with amarillo hop flavor. Highly bitter towards the finish, and just a bit lemony and sweet. Definitely different, nearly perfectly so. Body is medium but light enough to go down very easily, this is an eminently drinkable summer beer. Quite complex for a wheat beer, 3F does an excelent job with the hops as usual...mmmm, want more....

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The strangest wheat beer I've ever tasted, but it's a very unique flavor and it is one worth trying for sure! Now one of my new favorites! For sure the best 3 Floyds beer out there. It's very light, but full flavored at the same time. It has light flavors of a traditional wheat brew but with normal flavors of a session IPA like light citrus and slight hops. Very hoppy on the nose, but not as much on the palate even though it's referred to a "hoppy wheat" brew. Not sure what they used to pull off the sweet flavor, but I can see where they got the name from as I get a sweet candied taste reminding me of candy like flavor almost like a gumball on the back end. VERY unique and a must try if you ever get the chance.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Got this one as an extra from a generous trader! Drank from my CCB snifter.

A- Pours hazy gold in color. A big white head from a semi-aggressive pour. Nice retention and some moderate lacing left behind.

S- Piney hops up front with hints of citus that follows. A sweetnees is present, would almost guess honey. Very floral!!

T- MMM...nice mellow hops. Not overly aggressive or bitter! It's perfectly balanced with malts, slight citrus take, and what I'm guessing is honey. Not a big wheat presence. As in the nose, I'm def getting a strong floral presence, I believe it's lavander.

M- Nice and refreshing. A nice clean finish that leaves me wanting MORE and MORE of this beer.

D- Unlike any wheat brew I have ever tried. It's EASILY my favorite. Might not be the poster beer for the style, however, it's 10x better than any wheat I've had before. This would def be a go to brew for me! I could drink this all day!!! PERFECT 5 here!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

I have been really interested to try this beer in particular or just about anything from this brewery in general as they seem to be doing good things from what hear around. Packaging is a brown 22oz bomber with a cool crayon looking drawing of a comic book character.

Pours out a pale yellow with a tiny tinge of amber and just a smidge of haze. The head rolls up nicely and recedes somewhat quickly to a nice solid cap of foam resting on top of the brew. A few streamers of teeny-tiny carbonation bubbles roll steadily up to support the head.

Wow, the smell is a unique and very pleasant experience. The tartness of the wheat blends with the citrus of the hops which makes my first impression of the aroma that of a tart candy. Hints of sweeter fruits (banana) are present in the background, but eclipsed by the aroma of citrus and wheat.

The mouthfeel is noticeably more creamy than I would have thought, still light though, and lively with carbonation. The taste is very pleasant. The front is real light, with a taste of grain. The middle presents the “gumball” flavor, and a strong, hoppy, citrus tartness which dominates through-out the finish acquiring a resinous pine presence.

This beer is awesome, really refreshing as well. A great beer to have with lunch, lush and flavorful, but a few of them wouldn’t knock you on your ass. I only wish it were more available around here..

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Hazen pale straw yellow color, small firm white top, loose collar remains after it resides, lacings in thick strings.

Aroma has a pleasant sweet Amarillo bouquet thats just lovely, some grassyness pursues as does some floral aspects in its hop profile and the back is of dullish, lightly sugary lemon sweetness and fresh wheat.

Ooh...and ahh...a very nice taster. Sweet wheat front, dullest of dull lemon, floating grasses, great sugary return. Finishes with a slight hop drying of nonbittering pine and floral traits, left over sugars and fresh wheaty sweetness and dulled fruit drifting off. Rich, giving, smooth, and crisp, with just the right amount of everything. One well balanced and easy goin' treat. I can see why gumball was intregated into the name as it has a candyish character about it.

Feel is of a perfectly drinkable medium body thats very well rounded in cabonation, smooth, lightly crisp while maintaining a certain thick and rich hold. Sweet, and a favorable fun finish of drying off dull fruity sweetness and floral hops. One hell of a tasty quencher! A sessionable ale it is true!
Yum, yum, I've got Gumballhead in my tum.

Great beer! Astounding Amarillo hop profile on display here.

A big crayon drawn cartoon bubble saying "Thanks!" is made by this kid at heart to silenius! You sir deserve one of those Bugs Bunny kisses often given to Elmer Fudd just after his gun blows off his own face. Or is it before his face gets all blackened?

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Many thanks to jpm30 for the opportunity to try this refreshing beverage. Pours a straw, golden color with some haze to it. Medium sized head with a great deal of carbonation but it faded somewhat quickly. The smell isn't too strong, some nice fruit scents are what come first and a small scent of hops. At first I was taking sips of this beer and it was too cold to make a good judgement. I thought bland and carbonated but as it warmed it became clear what this is all about. Lemon zest with other fruits intermingling. I can almost taste a little honey, melon type sweetness. It literally improved sip by sip and seemed pretty phenominal to me. Mouthfeel was a little light and a little too carbonated but nothing too serious to fuss about. Drinkability makes this one choice for a nice summer day. I could down these without hesitation and still remember to enjoy them in the meantime. When I'm playing golf this summer I'll pray to have obtained a case of this stuff beforehand. YUM!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

This is now one of my favorite ales. Thanks to cwguy5 for the taste!

A: Lovely golden straw color with a thick white head and nice lacing. Looks delicious.

S: This is where the fun starts to pick up. The most wonderful aromas of grapefruit and lemon zest overwhelm your senses in an extremely enjoyable fashion.

T: A very sweet blend of grapefruit, lemon and an almost "gumball" or candy like taste that makes it unique. Although it is a wheat ale, it could pass as a pale ale any day. Good carbonation and relatively light bodied. \

O: Truly wonderful. As stated before, now one of my favorites and cannot wait to try again!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Gumballhead, my favorite beer. Love that its brewed here in Indiana as well, which makes it readily available. Pours a light bronze color with a light head. Leaves a lacy trail. The taste is wonderful. The wheat is prevalent and delicious. A great beer overall, enjoyed year round. Really though, with FFF, you can't go wrong.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.