Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,530 | Ratings: 5,678
4.59/5  rDev +9%

Okay, we in Columbus finally got this brew, and as is often the case with Three Floyds, I am somewhat confused, if pleasantly. This beer poured a light, clear golden color and fomred a small off white head the coated the glass with lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, citrus, caramel, some hint of pine and more hops. A flavor of hops, citrus, pine and more hops. The finish was bittersweet and refreshing. As you can see by my review, I was not expecting such hop influence in a supposedly wheat beer. But like so many other American craft brewers, Three Floyds continues to surprise me.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

I am a little partial to this brew. Gumballhead really pushed me over the edge on craft brews. It is available on tap at most bars and is now my go to when I'm out with friends.

A - Pours a golden hue very cloudy with a nice head.

S - Lots of hops!!! Mandarin, orange zest and bouquet of happiness!

T - Big on the hops. This is definitely the amarillo hops. Personally one of my favorites. You get a wheaty influence and it once to take over, but the hops are just too much to overwhelm.

M - Pretty good body to the taste.

D - This is my summer beer! It is perfect for a hot day hanging out by the pool...

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber bottle.

The appearance is a bright yellow/gold, straw-like color. It has about a 1/2 inch, bright white foamy head. The aroma is wonderfull. It is the clean, crisp, grapefruity smell of Amarillo hops. The scent is so strong that it was obviously dry-hopped.

The taste is also great - a light but hoppy flavor. The main taste is definitely grapefruit. It is somewhat bitter, but without being overpowering. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing with a somewhat dry finish.

This is an extremely drinkable beer, especially on hot summer days. Very enjoyable. It is the only beer I can think of where a little burp after drinking tasted as good as the beer did going down.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

This is something we need more of....breweries pushing the limits a little to come up with something outstanding...

American Wheats are one of my least favorite styles, but shit if you do it like this it is really something...The nose is all hops...blame it on the (ama)Rillos...One of my favorite hops and it provides a great nose....I figure I'm about to bite into a kickass IPA, but I am surpised with a very smooth, creamy almost, wheat beer...the body is light as it shoulds be...But the beauty in this one is the way they work the hops into this style without becoming too obtrusive...a great blend....highly drinkable...has just a hint of lemon grass....some solid wheat maltiness too...

Boy this hit it big with this....THE best American Wheat made and one that you could still drink a lot of. despite it's stronger characteristics....Great effort by 3 floyds with this one..

I am rating it per style...doesn't measure up as an IPA but as an American Wheat it blows things out of the water..

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Whhha? Pale wheat ale really? but... but I smell hops and its clear! I'm reviewing this as my second one of the night I had one earlier and this time is a little different...palate mighta got jacked!
But this is some nice stuff...like I said before pours a medium clear gold with a little bit a floaties not much though, has white head sticks around for a bit. The carbonation will stick to the sides of the glass a bit. Cool. Smells like grapfruit hops then if you sniff hard enough the clove and wheat smell you were expecting. Taste hops to start with gum bananna clove and to boot some wheat. Pretty nice indeed. (Indeed!) So I like this stuff k, But I will try not to buy much since I will drink it all in one night...and its not local...top notch overall

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Good wheat tastes with strong hops presence is not only a great idea, but a very refreshing beer. I had this previously, but I let it sit around too long. The hops were less dominant and the fruity wheat tastes more pronounced. Frankly, it was one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. This experience was very good, but not as good as that one. At least wheat-tast wise. Hops were better, which with greater freshness makes sense.

A tad hazy yellow-peach. White head, but not too much of it.

Smell is of strong pine needles. A lot of Amarillo hops. Taste has a lot of those piney notes as fruity wheat tastes. A nice combo indeed.

Mouthfeel is very creamy. Exceptional? Not sure about that yet.

Drinkable? A great summer beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Three Floyds is giving midwest Brewing one heck of a reputation. These guys are fearless much like their art work for their beers. Gumball Head is by far my favorite wheat beer. The appearance is a clear yellow/golden color with nice carbonation that provides good white head that is lacing nicely. The scent is a wonderful bouquet spice and citrus formed by the Amarillo hops. The taste has a great citrus combo of lemon/grapefruit/apricot and touch of spice that I can't define. The mouthfeel is fine...session....no question. This wheat beer could be a pale ale easily. An absolute must try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WTF I thought I had reviewed this previously, but whatever. This review is transcribed from prior notes. On tap at FFF in Munster, IN.

Golden color with a white head and pretty good lacing.

Aroma of wheat, citrus, honey, and way more Amarillo hops than you expect.

Flavor is wheat, honey, lemon, and grapefruity hops - excellent choice of hop variety. You really get an insane amount of hop aroma and flavor without very much hop bitterness.

Medium-bodied, very nice for the style, somewhat light and crisp on the palate.

Not your grandma's wheat beer. I love this one, especially on tap.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Light yellow/gold, very small carbonation bubbles, white head with decent retention.

Aroma: You can smell the wheat immediately, some light hop aroma with slight citrus notes

Taste: more hop flavor than I remembered, grapefruity, some hop bitterness in the back of the throat, aftertaste is of hop bitterness and dry

Mouthfeel: light body, highly carbonated with small bubbles

Overall: Such a tasty beer, I'm not usually a huge fan of American Wheats but Gumballhead is hopped up enough. These will be great once summer comes around again, perfect to bring to the beach or just drink sitting around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

presentation: 22oz. bomber with a brightly colored label. crayon colored oval with the comic character gumballhead the cat in the center. three floyds logo is at the bottom of the oval with gumballhead wheat beer around the top of the oval. three floyd's interpretation of their wheat beer is on the right of the label along with some basic info about the comic and a web link. a map to the brewery is below this explanation. no freshness date or abv displayed.

appearance: pours a bright yellow-orange with even brighter yellow highlights in a stein mug. nice 2 inch white fluffy head. good retention and lacing. very clear with bubbles rising methodically.

smell: lemony, orangey and grainy. floral and lightly spicy hops. excellent bouquet. faintest touch of bubblegum while sipping.

taste: nice citrus hops and bitters. oranges and lemons with a blurry flavor of lightly sweet wheat malts. hops are king here. finish is a touch dry with a light bitterness and a lingering touch of sourness.

mouthfeel: crisp clean medium body. there is a very light residual layer left on the tongue. very smooth rolling in your mouth and swallows just as smooth. excellent mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

drinkability: are you kidding me? excellent drinkability. perfect summer session brew. alcohol is nowhere to be found. bitterness isn't over the top. very aromatic and flavorful.

overall: this is what i'm talkin' about! a nice change of pace from traditional hefes, without the bananas and cloves. very drinkable, smooth, aromatic and flavorful. what more can you ask for? nice session brew. i'll take this any time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Into a tall weizen glass, pours a bubbly and slightly hazy bright gold, with a big ole starting head that shrink to a thin head, stringing lacing, quite lovely. Aroma is noticably hoppy, very floral and light. If I didn't know better I"d mistake it for an IPA. Oh, and oops there is some wheatness up in there too. I really like it, a whole lot, but doesn't get top notch marks for being too un-wheat like.

Taste is much like the nose, only even better. The hops are floral, a bit fruity and a little citric and clearly take center stage over the nicely wheaty malt blend, and while it seems at first overly hoppy, this is a very nicely balanced wheat.

This might be the most drinkable beer I've ever laid my hands on. High scores across the board, nice warm feeling and yet not even slightly buzzing after a 22oz'er.... Is it possible to get this in the keg? I want one, for my wedding. Not even kidding. Not in the slightest, this is so drinkable I'm almost wishing I live in Indiana. Almost.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

onto my second FFF beer this evening. I have my fingers crossed that I enjoy this as much as I did Alpha King

A- a ridiculously carbonated unfiltered golden yellow body that has a solid white head of foam on the top. There is some stickiness of lacing, but not overwhelming. The brew looks like the Gatorade of Craft Beer... thirst quenching for the warm weather

S- strong citrus hops and lemon zest are all over the nose of the brew. The hops are an explosion with the scent. There are some biscuity themes that no doubt highlight the wheat component of the brew

T- home run! The lemony taste is tied together with the citric hop bitterness. The brew is dry at the end and crisp at the same time at the end of the brew. Plain and simple... it's just tasty

M- good flavor that is crisp, carbonated, and good with coating on the mouth

D- Gumballhead is another unbelievable brew from FFF. I challenege anyone to find a better drinkable brew for a resfreshing drink. I will try to find more of these somehow, someway!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a golden yellow with little to no foam to speak of and no lacing to speak of.

S - The citrus and floral hops hit you like a ton of bricks and oh so sweet!

T - The taste is as expected, strong citrusy hop flavor throughout the experience

M/D - This one is mildly bitter, not over the top, but just right. Its perfectly carbonated to give you a refreshed feeling.

This is one of my top favorites.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Soapy copper-orange liquid with a dense off-white 1/2" head that stays. Visible carbonation actively ascends from the bottom/sides of the pint glass. Thick lacework.

Very fresh scents of Vanilla Wafer cookies (serious) & damp leafy hops. No clove or banana notes.

Perfect combination of malty powdered sugar sweetness and a healthy handshake of fresh hops. Biscuit malt entwined with a smidgen of dryness (again) from the Amarillo hops. Beautifully balanced.

Mouthfeel is very much alive. Medium bodied, soft & fluffy, with a long sweet & faintly dry finish. Carbonation is perfect, as it doesn't interfere with the flavors.

Drinkability is superb. Truly would take center stage over my go-to summer favorite (Hoegaarden) if it were available in my area.

Overall surprisingly fantastic American wheat. VERY unconventional and masterful. I am amazed how lovely the softness and sweetness of the wheat dances with the Amarillo hops - genius. I think Jason (or maybe it was Todd) said it best...'Madness that I like'.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear straw gold with a tight white head that sits on top of a clear straw colored brew. The amarillo aroma is just wonderful. A citrisy, spicy flavor accompanies a grainy maltiness. The finish is a little dry and crisp with the amarillo featured in the end. A great warm weather drinker.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Nlmartin for the beer!!!

This pours with a crisp golden color that is tantalizing to look at. Head is about an inch thick. Nice bit of lacing.

Nose is a strange version of grapefruit. One that is more mild than what we find in most IPA's. I also get a bit of grain and pine. The nose rocks.

I usually dont find IPA's refreshing and even though this Wheat Ale shares many characteristics with IPA's I find it very refreshing. There's some pine, grapefruit, maltiness and other citrus flavors. This is really a winner.

Mouth is immense. Thick and creamy.

I would buy this again and again if I could. If I wanted a refreshing beer this would fit the bill. If I wanted a hoppy beer this would do the job.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear golden color with a large bubbly two finger head.

Aroma is earthy and hoppy. Lots of floral hops and a light malty aroma as well.

Taste is of wheat malts and big floral citrus hops. Lots of floral hops here give it a very earthy taste, really good tasting wheat beer.

Mouthfeel is light, smooth, creamy and bubbly. Medium carbonation with a lighter body. Very good.

Extremely drinkable, a world class example of the style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a tall weizen-style Oberon glass, with great anticipation.
Color's a hazy, ripe peach, head is thick, creamy cushion of meringue.
Aroma, plainly put, gorgeous! Sweet and lovely hoppiness, tingling and enticing the nose and welcoming the tongue to embrace...beautiful! I got my beak awfully wet drinking it in, and didn't want the sniffing to stop! Amarillos, they say, eh? Love my Amarillos!
Lush wheat texture greet the lips and washes over the palate, comforting and terrifically tasty. Hops continue to dance on the palate, and fruity flavors dominate. Taste gets a touch sticky and very palpable in the mouth, bringing an end to my questions about the curious appelation, sweet and gummy indeed!
(Still wonder about the crude cartoon of the smoking cat on the label, but it's never normal at the House of Floyds, is it?)
Medium bodied, persistent citric finish, inestimable drinkability...hook me up to a keg and let's see, eh?
Great beer here, but then, I've never been disappointed by the Floyds boys.
I do believe this would be my summer brew of choice, were that an option open to me...maybe it is? Who will send a case or six my way?
As it stands, I have to thank Jahred and his messenger, incongruity for their gallant work!

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%

Had this on tap at BW3s in Indy. Really much better on tap than from the bottle. Not a great looking beer...almost neon yellow and a bit hazy with just barely a head...but the nose is incredible!! Straight up Oranges and grapefruit!! Really nice. Not overpowering, not harsh, but just right. The hops really shine on the palette as well. Nice mellow citrus flavors are really great.

Very very very drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Might as well stick to 3Floyds brews, right? I am lucky enough to have an ample supply of Gumballhead available to me at the Village Bottle Shop in Lafayette (no, I won't complain about the price here). This is a truly great brew which brings me pride when thinking of it's Indiana origins. It pours a golden/orange color with a magnificent white head which has good retention. Aroma is nice and hoppy, very citric for a wheat beer. Finally some grassy notes seep through. Taste is extremely well balanced. A little bit of hoppiness backed up by some nice sweet malt flavors. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. If only I had the money to make this my session beer (ok, i did complain). This is a marvel of brewing and I have yet to have anything similiar. One of my favorite 3Floyds beers. Try it if you can.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hazy, deep amber-orange body reveals golden highlights at the base of the glass and teems with tiny effervescent bubbles. The off-white head is full and densely creamy; and displays excellent retention and leaves wide swatches of lacing about the glass. The nose is loaded with bright, fresh hops that are citrusy and lightly spicy with hints of pine over a delicately sweet, wheatish malt. The body is medium; and its lightly zesty effervescence leaves a lingering tingle on the front of the tongue as the rest of the beer fades smoothly away with a light creaminess. The hops displayed in the nose are clearly carried over into the flavor, dominating upfront but blending most exquisitely across the middle in a wash of sweetish, wheat-accented malt. The bitterness is held in check as it should be (@20 IBU's perhaps); yet the hop aromas and flavors shine! It finishes with some lingering malt sugar and piney and spicy hops that fade to a dull residual bitterness by the time you're ready for another sip. An extraordinary American wheat that's well worth seeking out.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz bottle with no freshness date slowly decanted into a Perfect Pint glass.

A - Bright blonde with a moderate white head. Haze is very minimal. Carbonation appears high. Good head retention.

S - Grapefruit & peach with grassy undertones.

T - Complex flavor profile. Initial carbonation bite mixes with a sweet citrusy hop flavor and refreshing bready maltiness. Middle is citrusy hop flavor - intense! Becomes more complex in the fruitiness (tropical fruit salad) with a bread-like wheat flavor in the background. Finish has a pine-like hoppiness, very dry.

M - Medium body with high carbonation. Works well together.

O - Exceedingly complex, beyond my high expectations. Just because a beer is refreshing doesn't mean it's not complicated. World-class.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

22 oz bomber served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy yellowish amber topped by a frothy white head. Shifts to a film pretty fast and leaves specks of foam on the glass.

Smell: Pungent and powerful aromas of piney and grapefruity hops. The wheat malt is not all that present, but you pick up the occasional twang of clove. It's all about the Amarillo here, though.

Taste: Nice wheaty malt flavor that gets whallopped by bitter piney and citrusy hops. Juicy and succulent.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with spritzy carbonation and lingering hoppy aftertastes.

Drinkability: Not all wheat beers need to be light and "wimpy." A nice mix of a Pale Ale/IPA and a wheat ale. Take the light body of a wheat beer and chuck in the small scale sensual assault of hops from an IPA and you have this. Schweeeet.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

Served into a Sam Smith pint glass. A dear friend turned me onto this one.

A- never seen such a clear wheat ale. Its color displays its crispness.

S - like fresh grapefruit rind, very clean and inviting.

T - just like the smell, very fresh and drinkable. Maybe too drinkable. Could get a guy in trouble.

M- medium to light. Clean and refreshing.

O - gotta go get some to stock up for summer. Its our first 90 degree day in SW Ohio and Gumballhead is the perfect remedy.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to Bluejacket74 for this one...

A- Poured from the bottle with a thin stark-white head, which quickly evaporated with some very faint traces of lacing. The body was a hazy pale yellow color, with some faint carbonation observed from the sides of the glass.

S- A potent nose- comprised of grapefruit juice aromas over a base of tart wheat. I suppose this combination is the impetus for the beer's name... as this gives the impression of a gumball-like aroma. While not too complex, this nose is rich and alluring... particularly on a hot summer day.

T- Wow. Up front you get pale crackerlike malt, which is followed by a huge spike of juicyfruit-like hops. The tang of wheat then hits the palate midway. In the finish, the mild bitterness of hops and initial crackerlike malt linger on the tongue nicely. A mini-rollercoaster in the mouth; delicious and refereshing. I want more!

M- Thin body with a slightly abrasive carbonation. Under normal circumstances, this form of carbonation would be a detractor, but it works well here with the bitter and tart flavors- invigorating the palate, and massaging every corner of the mouth!

D- Incredibly drinkable... nay... quaffable!! I could easily put a 6-pack of this down in a sitting... and it's f-ing addicting! Do they put crack in this beer!?

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.