Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,552 | Ratings: 5,786
4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

Clear gold with a frothy white head. Decent retention and a fair amount of lacing. Very fragrant, powdery citrus hops (kind of like crushed up sweet tarts) dominate the aroma, with fruity and piney character as well. Aspirin bitterness with fruity hops and smooth sweetness from the malt and wheat. Fruity bitterness lingers. Moderate carbonation provides a bit of crispness while the body was a little heavier than I expected, but still light enough to make this a highly drinkable beer. The balance was great and the flavour profile was quite unique. Very enjoyable.

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

Golden in color with mild head that left a trace of lacing.
The nose is hoppy, piney, ctirusy (Grapefruit, lemon. orange).
Tastes of hops, wheat, malt, and your citrus flavors shine threw for this tasty brew, not to mention the almost honey like after taste. The carbonation was good, the mouthfeel was great and the drinkablilty excellent. I really enjoyed this wheat beer from 3F and I thank DOC Jordison from Tucson for sending it up to ames Iowa for me.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a mildly hazy orange with a fluffy two finger head that fades slowly to a very thin, spotty cap. The thin ring that's left behind leaves quite a bit more lace than I expected.

Smell; mmm....hops, and lots of them for a wheat beer. Pine and citrus smells come floating out of my glass, as well as some mild hints of caramel malts. But where is the wheat in this wheat beer?

Taste; those piney and citric hops are right there in your face, but I like it. The sweet malts definitely make a nice appearance, once you let this warm up a bit. The wheat is more felt than tasted, and lightly at that, which gives this a close to medium bodied mouthfeel. This reminds me more of an APA or IPA than it did of a wheat beer, but despite the lack of any wheat flavors, I still like this offering from Three Floyds. I just wish it felt and tasted more like a wheat beer.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

A- Bright golden color with lots of carbonation and a nice white head. Lots of bubbles swirl throughout this appealing looking brew.

S- All about the hops here. Heavy on the pine with a touch of citrus. Malt is unnoticeable until the beer warms a bit.

T- Delicious hop character upfront with a nice orange-like citrus taste. Ends crisp and wheaty. Fantastic!

M- Medium-thin mouthfeel, goes down smooth. Nothing spectacular here.

D- Incredibly drinkable. Not only is it delicious, but only 4.8% ABV!
A perfect session beer and the quintessential summer brew.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Fantastic! So disappointed I only had one bottle. This has to be one of my all time top brews.

Pours a dark, cloudy gold with a nice big head. Looks great. Aroma is very IPA-like, with lots of grapefruity and piney hops.

Flavour is restrained but complex. Smooth, hefe-like mouthfeel but IPA-like hops. The combination works beautifully, and is as balanced as it can get. Aftertaste is well balanced as well -- neither feature of the beer stands out, but rather they combine into something unique.

I look forward to seeking out a greater quantity of this one, for sure!

3.82/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dennis: Three Floyd's is a very frustrating brewery for me. In many way I want to love them, but in other's they just exasperate me so much it's not funny. For example, I can get a bomber of Hog Heaven by Avery for $4.99, meanwhile I could drive to this brewery and I'm paying almost 6 bucks for this brew. That's the main reason we haven't tried so many of their other brands. That and, so far almost all of them have exhibited the same hop combination. Don't get me wrong, the first time I had dreadnaught or pride and joy I was exuberant, but i'm looking for a little diversity here. At 5%, this is a super, uber hoppy wheat beer. Tastes great, goes down super easy....but at the price I think it's just overrated.
Jen: From first whiff I knew that this was going to be different. I don't normally expect to smell hops, but that is all I could smell. Although shocked, I was looking forward to my first sip. All I could taste at first was the hops, but after I swallowed, I got a definite taste of wheat and a slight honey that was fun. This may be low in ABV, but it is definitely good. Light and crisp and it goes down smoothly.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Ahhh... Another solid beer from 3F - they can do no wrong.

This beer poured a deep golden color with a small white head.

The aroma was full of Amarillo hops with notes of sweet wheat malt in the background.

The flavor of the beer was much richer than other American style wheat beers I've tried. The maltiness had an interesting note of honey sweetness, perhaps from the atypical red wheat used in place of white wheat - as in most American wheat beers.

The hops were citrusy and well developed for a wheat beer, but not overpowering.

The mouthfeel was light-to-medium and reasonably dextrinous. This helped the beer to feel fuller than most summer seasonals, but not too heavy.

The carbonation was just right and added a good bite to this summer brew.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Medium golden color, nice white head, but fleeting. The lacing sits on the top, and sticks to the glass nicely.

S: Sweet wheat smell, and hops.

T: Hops, wheat, really nice bitterness, some sweet flavors, and a bunch more I just can't put my finger on. Really, good.

M: Nice full feel, with moderate carbonation. This and the hops make my thonge tingle and mouth water.

D: Really tasty and not overpowering make this really drinkable.

I really like this beer, and it had some complex flavor, though I wish it was a bit more balanced. I will be buying this again though, no doubt.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Found this at McMenamin’s

This beer came a simple pale copper color with a thin film of white head that left a little lace behind.

Smelled of sweet oranges, a bit of orange rind, and a brown sugar and marshmallow malt with a touch of dry pine.

The flavor began with a light dryness that crept along the edges of my tongue but then produced a red grapefruit flavor with some sweet wheat and oats and a touch of honey.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied and pleasantly smooth with a light and tingly carbonation.

This one’s light, creamy and very easy to drink.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

poured from 22 oz. bottle into xtra large pint-glass-shaped vessel
golden amber color with a modest head; some lacing. attractive couple of central carbonation columns rising lazily.
nose held honey, sugared fruits (orange, peach, and apricot - also a bit of apple and pear), faint malt and clove.
taste: sweet candied fruit medley dominated by orangey taste with minor hint of clove that rises a couple notches as simultaneously bitter and tangy huge hops aspects come forward and power thru the finish with lemon. some residual graininess too.
oily light-bodied texture starts out syrupy-smooth and gets huskier with aggressive crispness that isn't over-the-top.
delicious but puckering and big for a wheat beer, limiting consumption possibility.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a standout in the class. Crisp wheat malt flavors with a touch of citrus. Bold hopping that balanced nicely against the malt for a sharp, refreshing finish. Perhaps the best example of a highly hopped wheat ale I've run across. Hard to find a beer with this hopping and still a low abv.

Appearance: Golden yellow, ample white head, though dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Orange, lemon...typical citrus of the amarillos they put in there.

Taste: Citrus orange and lemon hits you first. The wheat comes through surprisingly well for this hop bomb. Definitely fresh hop taste, you can almost taste the hop oils.

Mouthfeel: Medium body backs up the hop bite very well. Not overly bitter. Oiliness seems to come across more on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability: Definitely wouldn't have issues slamming down a couple of these brews.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a hazy burnt gold. Slight white head that quickly disipates.

Aromas of pine, citrus and vanilla.

Taste is slightly biscuity and nutty wheat with a solid citrusy hop balance.

Light bodied, smooth and crisp. Incredibly drinkable.

I think Gumballhead is almost as cool as Fritz the Cat.

3.46/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Appears like an American filtered wheat with a milky white head up top. Rapidly diminishing, but still retaining a presence.

S: Smells of amarillo hops, nilla wafers with a touch of cedar. Zesty.

T: Lots of low level bitterness. Creamed wheat maltiness with a smack of lemon citrus which adds a slight sour twinge. Biscuit aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, smooth carbonation.

D: Tasty beer. Bit too bitter without the high range hop flavors.

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Deep, bright apricot. Big carbonation rises to form a medium-sized white head without much retention.

Smell: Lots of hops; lemon, lime, carrot, pine, and geranium. Light floral perfume notes. A touch of sweetness shines through from underneath. Is there a such thing as a wheat IPA?

Taste: Nutty, toasty wheat with a fruity sweetness and nice resiny hops. Very well-balanced, but with a nice hoppy kick. Well-bittered and flavorful without being aggressive or acrid.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and light-bodied. Airy carbonation. Clean finish.

Drinkability: I wish I had more!

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Color runs between gold and light copper. High clarity, strong appearance of carbonation. Head is wispy and white, but short with decent retention. Smell of sweet malt and grapefruit-like hop aroma is very strong, much like an IPA. The taste opens with a rich grapefruit/citrus flavor, fading toward a relatively clean finish with mild alcohol and moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and perhaps a bit watery, but with nice carbonation. To review this beer honestly, I believe its an average wheat beer, but the over-addition of amarillo hops gives it a strong Alpha King-like flavor to please the hop loving crowd. I just thought it could have been built better, with more balance perhaps...

3.47/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Pours a yellow hazy body with a white head that leaves decent lacing.

S: First smell I was taken aback. What is that I smell Hops? Then I read the label where it proclaims it's made with a boat load of hops which I don't disagree with.

T: Like the smell it's a big hoppy taste. While I understand that this is not along the same lines as most wheat beers, where there is little to no hops at all. This one gives you a big smack of hops with a wheat malt sweetness to try an round it out.

M: Decently thick for a wheat style beer.

D: I would order this again easily.

Let me explain something I'm really not a fan of Wheat beers for the reason of the lack of hops, just a matter of personal taste. So while this wheat beer is not the traditional style of wheat beer it works for me.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

I've seen this beer around and noticed it mainly because of the cool label. I decided it was finally time to try it, so here goes!

Served in a weizen glass, it's dark gold with about a 3/4 inch head. The aroma is flowery, citrus and hops. It tastes like hops and citrus, with a good medium body and a light oily mouthfeel. It's very drinkable, goes down relatively easy, but with a slightly bitter floral aftertaste which lingers a little while (which isn't a bad thing). I can't taste much wheat in it, to me it's closer to a pale ale than a wheat beer, even though it's a combination of both. The lace stays on the glass for a while, too. I'm not a big pale ale/hoppy beer person, but this beer is pretty good. It's hoppy, but not overpowering. Nice and refreshing! I would drink this again, it's a quality brew. Not too bad getting a deuce deuce bomber of it for $6.99.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a hazy gold with a solid white-ish head. There is a small amount of carbonation. The smell is foremost of hops, which reminds me of the Alpha King Pale Ale, but definitely not as powerful. Still, the citrus and hop smell is the biggest smell in this one. Taste has hops with a biscuit taste and some citrus as well. Although it seems like the hops win out overall (not surprising for 3F), there is a good balance between bitterness and biscuit character. Medium bodied mouthfeel and goes down very smoothly.

I really like the 3F interpretation of the wheat beer. Their hop additions to the standard wheat beer make this very tasty. I really like the balance between the biscuity feel and the hop/citrus goodness. Very tasty beer. I could definitely drink more than one of these in a sitting.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a slightly hazy darker golden color. Head was a finger of off-white light foam that faded to a cap. Lace was thick and luxurious.

Smell was piney floral hops and citrus.

The taste suprised me. I was not sure if I would like a hopped up Pale Wheat Ale. I was pleasantly suprised. The hops put a very unique spin on the style. Very interesting.

Medium-light bodied. Carbonation causes a tingle on the tongue, but it actually works with this brew. Somewhat oily mouthfeel.

I can, and have, put a hurting on a bunch of these bad boys. VERY DRINKABLE, IMO.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours from the bomber into my pint-glass a clear orange colored body below a creamy white head consisting of bubbles of all different sizes.

A pretty good balance of hops, citrus, and a biscuity malt in the nose. No noticable alcohol.

Mild hops, lemon juice up front that steps aside to a smooth malty finish. Finishes clean and smooth. Very balanced, not the typical hop-overload that many FFF beers are known for.

Not too much carbonation in this one, just right for the style. It's refreshing to say the least. If it were available here and/or not 7 dollars for a 22 oz bottle I could drink this everyday in the summer.

A solid brew no doubt, but it didn't live up to the hype in my eyes.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

22 oz brown bottle.

Pours a golden, light-amber color with a huge, billowy, rocky head that lasted to some degree until the very last sip. Left amazing lacing along my glass. Aroma is fairly hoppy, sweet, fruity, a bit of citrus and bready, yeasty smell. Taste is rather light, clean, and fruity with a bit of hops in the finish. Finish is clean and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is light, very smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. The most restrained Three Floyds beer I've had so far, but this only makes it quite drinkable. I could easily see drinking a couple of these over a summer day and would expect most people to like it.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a Three Floyds bomber into a pint glass. The beer looked clear yellow clear with a big poofy head. Kind of just looked like everyday pale ale but the smell was much better. It was yeasty and a little hoppy, kind of similar to a hefeweizen.

It tasted awesome, I don't know why I waited so long to try this beer. It had the body and the yeasty fruity flavor of a hefeweizen, but tasted kind of more citrucy. I placed the drinkability at 5 because it goes down so easy and has pretty low alcohol content.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

From a bottle brought to beer club meeting. Fairly clear, orangey, white foamy head. apricot, aromatic hop odor. smells fantastic. peachy apricot taste. bitterness grows over time and becomes very full and hoppy aftertaste is a nice hop flavor with some citrus grapefruitness on the finish. full and strong mouthfeel. another delicious offering from 3F.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

2006 release, 22oz bottle.

Pours out a nice golden/orange color with about a 1/3 inch off-white head. Very lively, and bubbley.

You can definitley tell that this is a Three Floyd's beer by the smell. It is extremely fruity. Mostly oranges and lemons. Maybe some pineapple too with a nice biscuity malt scent as well.

The taste is a lot like the smell. Very citrusy and fruity with a nice biscuity backround. Also a little bit more bitterness than I had anticipated. The wheat flavor becomes more noticable as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Good for the style.

This is an extremely drinkable beer. Great flavor, not very filling, refreashing, and low in alcohol. A great summer beer. It was great to try this beer once. However, I probably won't buy it again due to the hefty price tag. $6.99 is kind of a lot to pay for a 22oz wheat ale. At least in my opinion.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.