Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,525 | Ratings: 5,659
4.04/5  rDev -4%

Shared a bomber with jslot, paired it with some refried beans cause i was hungry like that
A: Hazy yellow color with a small white head.
S: Smells alot like lemonade, with some spices in the background.
T: Spicy like a cat. Its pretty good. Lemony too.
all the other stuff is pretty good

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

got this in a trade with mrkanable... thanks buddy! he even went out of his way checking out 7 or 8 places to get a fresh 6'er... great trader!!

A - hazy, straw yellow with a thin laced head. by looks alone this beer looks light, balanced and quaffable... the perfect summer brew? i could definitely add it to the list.

S - tons of Amarillo pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange and tangerine zest. there is a light candy like aroma that lingers between the hops... very pleasant. Very little malt character but what am i to expect in a 4.8%, hoppy, sessionable beer?

T - rather dry on the palate, citrus, pine and zest like acidity. a slight caramel like sweetness linger in the background. balanced bitterness, very quenching. hops are the focus here... there is very little malt character, however, the balance between hop bitterness and flavor reaffirm the type of beer this is.

M - light and dry. mild carbonation.

D - ya kiddin? absolutely... this stands up to just about any pale ale out there. this beer is very light and enjoyable, it may be pretty expensive but this beer is definitely worth it every once in a while. Great warm weather brew!

12 oz bottle poured into Hoegaarden glass

A--Creamy head lingers over a bubbly golden brew. Surprisingly clear! Lots of rising carbonation. Tremendous sticky lacing!

S--Grapefruit and spruce from the hops. These guys love their hops! Not used to a hoppy wheat beer, but it smells like that's what's in store for me.

T--Pronounced floral hoppiness to begin, but followed by a balancing malt sweetness and breadiness. Tart bottle yeast says hello. Surprisingly low hop bitterness...a bit at the end. Fine by me. This is a very complex beer. I'd liken it to biting into a garden of herbs and wildflowers. Unlike any wheat beer I've encountered. Did I say that before? Interesting but balanced.

M--Crisp, clean, fresh. Some hop oilyness, but smooth lingering mouthfeel.

D--A heavy, heady beer for 4.8 ABV. Not a pounder, but why wouldn't you want to slowly savor this? Refreshing nonetheless.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz bottle thanks to mattboyer182 poured into Dogfish Head tulip pint glass.

A- Straw colored with big fluffy white head. Head dissipates fairly quickly with no signs of lacing.

S- Citrus hops and some bready malt.

T- Taste follows nose. I am getting nice citrus hops up front and then goes down very smoothly with the classic wheat taste to it.

M- VERY SMOOTH! Nice carbonation for this style of beer.

O- Wish I had more than one, but thankful for the opportunity to try it. As mentioned by others, this one cries for the warm summer months. Nice work!

3.57/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

If there is one positive of working in Indiana, it is getting access to some good beers I don't get at home. I had wanted to try Gumballhead for a while, mainly for the name, but whatever.

Pours a somewhat sickly yellow with a decent head. Smells of lemon and lime, some wheat, and a nice little floral aroma. it smells more of flowers than bubble gum to me, but I can see the resemblance. Some mild hops as well.

Taste is good if not noteworthy. A little liight up front, until the wheat kicks in. This is followed by a pleasant hoppyness, which reminds me of the CL Xtra tripel actually, only a much more mild version. There is a nice light lime finish.

Mouthfeel is really nice. Perfect carbonation and texture. Very drinkable,but I think more than 2 might start getting boring.

Solid stuff

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip

Straw yellow in appearance with fluffy white head. Good head retention. Strong carbonation shooting up from the bottom of the glass.

Infusion of fruity wheat and piney hops in the aroma. Some floral hops as well. Crisp and sweet malt backbone. Hops and wheat create an excellent aroma together. Hops are a bit more prominent, but the wheat is definitely there.

Piney and floral hops hit the palate up front. Nice transition into lemon and wheat. Sweet and fruity yeast linger well after the first sip. Fantastic hop to wheat ratio.

Light mouthfeel with a more pronounced smoothness. Just the right amount of carbonation. For having a thin body, the beer maintains a silky smoothness and is easily quaffed.

An excellent wheat beer that uses loads of hops to extenuate the wheat and fruity yeast. Has a lemon zest kick that is well placed and goes great with the hop profile. This may indeed be king of the wheat beers. No wonder it's always so hard to find.

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber poured into tulip glass:

Look: Pours a nice hazy orange with a nice amount of head with lacing present.

Smell: This beer smells more like an IPA or pale ale than a pale wheat ale. Tons of hints of citrus, grapefruit, hops, and some wheat coming thru.

Taste: Less hops come thru in the taste than on the nose but they are still present. Some wheat pokes its way thru along with some lemon/citrus. Very tasty brew!

Feel: Medium bodied.

Overall: This is probably the best pale wheat ale I have had to date. This would be a great summer beer that I could sip on all day long. Crisp and refreshing and would be great on a hot summery day. I will definately revisit if I can get my buddy to bring more of this back to PA the next time he comes home!

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served to me on-tap at the Map Room in Chicago>

Apperance: A great golden color that had considerable head and lacing.

Smell: I can STILL smell it, it was so good. Lots and lots of great hops with a bouquet of flowers.

Taste: One of the hoppiest and most floral brews I've had. It was a very smooth hop that totally covered the little alcohol it had.

Mouthfeel: Ultra smooth, like silk in your mouth, what a wheat ale is.

Drinkability: Smooth, clean, hoppy and low ABV; you could really lose track of how many you've had of these, you'll enjoy it that much.

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Poured a cloudy yellow gold with an attractive white head. As the head dissipated, a small amount of sticky lace dotted the glass. The smell was that of sweet citrus fruits and mild hops. I really like the way this beer tastes...and I'm not a wheat beer fan. This is nothing like a wheat beer in my opinion. It's more like a hopped up, non-filtered pale ale. Very easy to drink, very easy to like. I would love to have this as a staple in my fridge but alas, FFF doesn't get this far south.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz bottle with no freshness date slowly decanted into a Perfect Pint glass.

A - Bright blonde with a moderate white head. Haze is very minimal. Carbonation appears high. Good head retention.

S - Grapefruit & peach with grassy undertones.

T - Complex flavor profile. Initial carbonation bite mixes with a sweet citrusy hop flavor and refreshing bready maltiness. Middle is citrusy hop flavor - intense! Becomes more complex in the fruitiness (tropical fruit salad) with a bread-like wheat flavor in the background. Finish has a pine-like hoppiness, very dry.

M - Medium body with high carbonation. Works well together.

O - Exceedingly complex, beyond my high expectations. Just because a beer is refreshing doesn't mean it's not complicated. World-class.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Golden with an inch and a half of foam. Some warmer tones mixed in. Good retention.

S- very sweet with a citrusy and leafy odor

T- Hoppy with a grassy, earthy taste yet sweet

M- very smooth and watery

O- Great beer. Probably my favorite summer beer.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

well, this one has been buried in the cellar for a while, oops. i'm sure it's still fine.

appearance: yellow. not much of a head.

aroma; pinetrees and lemon drops, hops hops hops, and something "extra"

taste. hops again, surprise surprise. these are the ones that are really bright, acidic, and taste like tart lemons and pine trees. there is some fruity sweetness hiding behind all those hops. there is also this really weird taste. it was much more dominant in the fresher version, and seems to have subsided a bit in this one (6 months old or so). cherimoya, that is it. it tastes like cherimoya fruit. this beer has an excellent flavour balance. just flows from one end to the other, with lots goign on in between, but not overly complicated. very juicy tasting. oh yes, i like this a lot.

mouthfeel is great, yum yum, good body.

this puppy is well crafted. oh yeah, drinkability is really good. certainly a unique brew.

No freshness date
A: Pretty, golden hue w/light wispy quick dissipating head
little lacing on glass
S: Citrus nose (orange/lemon grass)
T: Bitter hops and lemon meringue, sweet and grassy underneath
bitter again on finish, lemon remains on the tongue
M: Sharp, crisp and dry carbonation pops early then oily

This beer does not follow suit. It goes big for the style. Very unique. Bitter yet drinkable and just sweet enough to really savor. One of my go-to favorites.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom, Carmel,Indiana
Had heard nothing but good about this one and I must say it holds very true!
Brilliant golden pour sightly foggy with a decent head,nice lacing.
Clean smelling with a zesty, flowery fruitiness!
Crisp taste with a firm hops presence quite flavorful with the snap of some wheatiness.
mouthfeel was quite uplifting and re-freshing,pleasant fruitiness lingering in all the right places.
Came damn close to getting a "5" in this department, paired well with all the different foods at our table ,but could have easily drank this one solo for quite some time. If ya see it,grab it! CHOICE!!!!

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

I was at the Harmon Brewing Co. in Tacoma last year for a Brewmaster's Dinner. It was the night they released their Harmon's Killer Brew (very bad pun in that for all you Twins fans), but the courses for the evening were paired with their beers starting at the lightest (their Blonde) and moving all the way up to their porter, finishing up with the very malty Killer Brew. The beer that accompanied the second course that evening was their Wollochet Point Wheat Ale, a beer that was so hoppy I was weirded out by the whole thing. It was delicious, mind you, and exceptionally well done, I simply didn't expect it. Gumballhead is also quite hoppy, but this time I'm prepared for it.

Appearance: Pours a deep gold with a pale white headhead that doesn't stick around long enough for me to get its phone number. Minimal lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: Truth be known, I think the aroma hops are actually stronger than the bittering hops themselves. That may contribute to some of the legend this beer has for wheaty hoppiness (or whatever). I don't know if they are using Amarillos for aroma as well as bittering, but they are very strong and oh so lemony smelling. And they completely obliterate any malt nose that might be present.

Taste: That wheat malt makes a very quick appearance in between the bittering and the finishing hops, leaving a very smooth, almost creamy malt trail down the back of the tongue. It's different, but I like it. Unfortunately, the finish just isn't as hoppy as the nose would lead you to believe it will be. In that, it's a little disappointing.

Mouthfeel: I couldn't tell you why, but it's not quite right to me. It feels just a bit thin, even though I know this beer is only rolling in at 4.8%. I think it's the hop levels that lead me to want a little more body out of the beer, and maybe a slightly higher ABV. Perhaps my expectations are completely whack.

Drinkability: I have to give this a 3.5 based solely on price. This is a very good, very refreshing beer. But I bought this at Beverage Warehouse in Cleveland Heights, OH for $6.99. That's just too damn much for a bomber of a light summer wheat ale. Next time I'm in Tacoma, I'm going to stop in at Harmon (because I just HATE doing that) and pick up a bomber of their wheat and see how it stands up to the Gumballhead. I'm going to make the wild-ass guess that it will hold up very, very nicely, at $3 less per bomber..

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Pretty standard.

Smell: Are those amarillo? with that citrusy grapefruit/piney smell, I'd bet my left testy, wait is that the bigger one?

Taste: A hoppy wheat brew. The end.

Mouthfeel: A little thin.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, perhaps the strongest aspect of the beer. A decent beer from those Munster guys.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Bell's pint glass. Trade from gorby10826 (Thanks, Mike!)

A: Pours a clear straw yellow, more clear than I see in a lot of wheat beers. An unbelievably thick and fluffy head that, once it dissipated, left a nice layer of sticky lacing all over the inside of the glass.

S: Very floral almost to the point of perfume. My wife even commented that it smelled like some of her wine (not that she'd drink this, though!). Citrus and honey present in the aroma, more so than the wheat.

T: This is what I think a wheat beer should taste like. Clean and crisp, just enough hops, and it puts you in the immediate mindset of summertime. Slight grapefruit taste that lingers just the least little bit.

M: Nice balance with the carbonation. Very light feel to it, which is a nice compliment to the taste.

D: Very easy to drink. If I could get this where I live, I'd have it almost every day. Stupid PA.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

A- 4 Poured a nice golden color (like apple juice) with a one-finger frothy white head. There is nice smooth, sticky lacing on this one.

S- 4 There's a nice hoppy/pine smell to this that reminds me of an IPA. It also has a bit of a citrus smell. Just a little bit of wheat comes through in the aroma as well.

T- 4 Much like the aroma, I'm hit with an initial hoppy kick that transitions to a citrus on the finish. The flavors are well-balanced and end in a very mildly sweet feeling - maybe this is the "gumball" referenced by the name. The after taste is where the wheat comes in play for me.

M - 4.5 Very smooth and great level of carbonation. It's medium-light in body. This is a really good feel; the only thing holding me back from giving it a 5 is that it could be slightly heavier, but no complaints here.

D- 4.5 The well-balanced, clean tastes of this brew and its unheaviness make this very drinkable for me. It is refreshing, hoppy, sweet and smooth. If only I could get this more frequently...

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The wheat ale for the hop head...

A -- Slight haze with a straw appearance and a Swiss cheese two finger head

S -- The first notice that this is not your average wheat ale. The aroma pulls much more of hops than banana or other usual notes from other wheat beers.

T -- A good deal of hops coming forward with a great aftertaste.

M -- Large bubbles and a light feel work well with this style of beer

O -- Not being too large a fan of wheat ales, this is a remarkably easy drinker that I will be happy to have again

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very good American Pale Ale that I will be making a road trip to Indiana to visit the brewery! A good scores across but the taste of this brew was very good!

4.17/5  rDev -1%

My first 3 Floyds beer. Nice label and cap. Poured into a standard pint glass. Hazy gold with a good millimeter of head.

Smell is of citrusy hops, like an IPA. Taste is very interesting, not overly hoppy, but there is an interesting tangy flavor. Perhaps some lemon? Carbonation is slightly high and maybe contributing to this. A little late for this, but could definitely have been a summer scorcher beer. Will have to be on the lookout for this if I ever head out into the distribution area. Really a unique beer to me.

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a fantastic wheat, easily my favorite. The only thing holding it back is the appearance, which is just a touch bland. One of the best smelling beers out there. Floral, hoppy, piney, it's all that. Fantastic to smell, darn fun to drink. Superb session beer, I could drink a lot of these. In my opinion, this is the best of FFF's "available all the time" beers. A top ten beer for me, one I go back to over and over again.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Excited to finally give a Three Floyds beer a try.

I really didn't know what to expect from this, but it's just delicious. It sort of tastes like a sessionable version of little sumpin. It pours a pale straw color. The smell is just sweet wheat. Super sweet. Very light body. I could take down a whole bunch of these. Will seek out again. Well done. My first FFF beer did not disappoint.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

A-Pours a hazy golden/yellow color with a huge soap bubble head that falls fast.Lots of bubbles in glass,decent lacing.

S-Clean,crisp citrus hop smell,lemon zest with a strong bubblegum/yeast nose.

T-Sweet lemons and hops upfront then you get the bubblegum and banana yeast then finishes with a tart wheat flavor.Stronger taste of alcohol as it warms.

M-Medium bodied beer with a nice feel and good carbonation.

D-This would make a great summer beer but I would enjoy this during any season.This is a good example of the style and another great brew from FFF's.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance
Pale golden with slight haze with a small/medium pure white head
Nose
Hops and lots of fruity notes and grapefruit. Smells “light”
Taste
Malt note stronger in the palate than the malt note in the nose. Crisp and light, mild alcohol taste. Grassy, mild bitter element. Bitter finish
Overall
Its reffered to as a wheat beer but in my opinion this isn’t your average wheat beer- its much better . In my neck of the woods this stuff sells like no other beer and my local beer suppliers can attest to this. Why? I’m not sure.. Its good don’t get me wrong but its not “Holy shit it’s here!? I’ll take 5 cases!” good. Get it if you can though, very interesting and refreshing beer.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.