Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,531 | Ratings: 5,681
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Pretty standard.

Smell: Are those amarillo? with that citrusy grapefruit/piney smell, I'd bet my left testy, wait is that the bigger one?

Taste: A hoppy wheat brew. The end.

Mouthfeel: A little thin.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, perhaps the strongest aspect of the beer. A decent beer from those Munster guys.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Bell's pint glass. Trade from gorby10826 (Thanks, Mike!)

A: Pours a clear straw yellow, more clear than I see in a lot of wheat beers. An unbelievably thick and fluffy head that, once it dissipated, left a nice layer of sticky lacing all over the inside of the glass.

S: Very floral almost to the point of perfume. My wife even commented that it smelled like some of her wine (not that she'd drink this, though!). Citrus and honey present in the aroma, more so than the wheat.

T: This is what I think a wheat beer should taste like. Clean and crisp, just enough hops, and it puts you in the immediate mindset of summertime. Slight grapefruit taste that lingers just the least little bit.

M: Nice balance with the carbonation. Very light feel to it, which is a nice compliment to the taste.

D: Very easy to drink. If I could get this where I live, I'd have it almost every day. Stupid PA.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

A- 4 Poured a nice golden color (like apple juice) with a one-finger frothy white head. There is nice smooth, sticky lacing on this one.

S- 4 There's a nice hoppy/pine smell to this that reminds me of an IPA. It also has a bit of a citrus smell. Just a little bit of wheat comes through in the aroma as well.

T- 4 Much like the aroma, I'm hit with an initial hoppy kick that transitions to a citrus on the finish. The flavors are well-balanced and end in a very mildly sweet feeling - maybe this is the "gumball" referenced by the name. The after taste is where the wheat comes in play for me.

M - 4.5 Very smooth and great level of carbonation. It's medium-light in body. This is a really good feel; the only thing holding me back from giving it a 5 is that it could be slightly heavier, but no complaints here.

D- 4.5 The well-balanced, clean tastes of this brew and its unheaviness make this very drinkable for me. It is refreshing, hoppy, sweet and smooth. If only I could get this more frequently...

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The wheat ale for the hop head...

A -- Slight haze with a straw appearance and a Swiss cheese two finger head

S -- The first notice that this is not your average wheat ale. The aroma pulls much more of hops than banana or other usual notes from other wheat beers.

T -- A good deal of hops coming forward with a great aftertaste.

M -- Large bubbles and a light feel work well with this style of beer

O -- Not being too large a fan of wheat ales, this is a remarkably easy drinker that I will be happy to have again

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very good American Pale Ale that I will be making a road trip to Indiana to visit the brewery! A good scores across but the taste of this brew was very good!

4.17/5  rDev -1%

My first 3 Floyds beer. Nice label and cap. Poured into a standard pint glass. Hazy gold with a good millimeter of head.

Smell is of citrusy hops, like an IPA. Taste is very interesting, not overly hoppy, but there is an interesting tangy flavor. Perhaps some lemon? Carbonation is slightly high and maybe contributing to this. A little late for this, but could definitely have been a summer scorcher beer. Will have to be on the lookout for this if I ever head out into the distribution area. Really a unique beer to me.

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a fantastic wheat, easily my favorite. The only thing holding it back is the appearance, which is just a touch bland. One of the best smelling beers out there. Floral, hoppy, piney, it's all that. Fantastic to smell, darn fun to drink. Superb session beer, I could drink a lot of these. In my opinion, this is the best of FFF's "available all the time" beers. A top ten beer for me, one I go back to over and over again.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Excited to finally give a Three Floyds beer a try.

I really didn't know what to expect from this, but it's just delicious. It sort of tastes like a sessionable version of little sumpin. It pours a pale straw color. The smell is just sweet wheat. Super sweet. Very light body. I could take down a whole bunch of these. Will seek out again. Well done. My first FFF beer did not disappoint.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

A-Pours a hazy golden/yellow color with a huge soap bubble head that falls fast.Lots of bubbles in glass,decent lacing.

S-Clean,crisp citrus hop smell,lemon zest with a strong bubblegum/yeast nose.

T-Sweet lemons and hops upfront then you get the bubblegum and banana yeast then finishes with a tart wheat flavor.Stronger taste of alcohol as it warms.

M-Medium bodied beer with a nice feel and good carbonation.

D-This would make a great summer beer but I would enjoy this during any season.This is a good example of the style and another great brew from FFF's.

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

Not what you normally get in a wheat. Nice and light hoppy flavor but not overpowering. A little lemon shines through and one of the cleanest finishes I have ever had. Goes with a slickness.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance
Pale golden with slight haze with a small/medium pure white head
Nose
Hops and lots of fruity notes and grapefruit. Smells “light”
Taste
Malt note stronger in the palate than the malt note in the nose. Crisp and light, mild alcohol taste. Grassy, mild bitter element. Bitter finish
Overall
Its reffered to as a wheat beer but in my opinion this isn’t your average wheat beer- its much better . In my neck of the woods this stuff sells like no other beer and my local beer suppliers can attest to this. Why? I’m not sure.. Its good don’t get me wrong but its not “Holy shit it’s here!? I’ll take 5 cases!” good. Get it if you can though, very interesting and refreshing beer.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

At times is overrated around here, which is a shame..It gets built up to be just something its not. Its not earth shattering but it is a damn good beer

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle (no freshness) into the ol' SN pint glass...I've had this homegrown brew many times in the summer and finally felt that it was time to review it...

Slightly hazy straw colored body with a bubbly and rocky four finger head that has some excellent sticky lacing. A sexy looking summer beer.

Loads of spicy hops and citrus notes. Massives hits of...wait for it...pineapple goodness. Very spicy and citrusy. So damn good...

ALmost like a beery pineapple juice...mild hops with a slightly bitter finish. A solid citrusy sweetness throughout.

Only downfall...low on carbonation with an oiliness in the finish that could use some work.

Can drink the piss out of this beer...

Very unique to the style...definitely not normal by any means. A great summer staple in Indiana, and if you are ever given the opportunity to have this on tap, take it. It's even better on tap.

2.79/5  rDev -33.7%

a- golden yellow/orange with a thick frothy white head that fades fairly quickly. nice amount of carbonation with some floaties and minimal lacing.

s- kinda turns me off and almost taints the beer for me, its very light amounts of citrus and easy on pine. smells quite hay and straw with a certain funk that is not too appealing to me.

t&m- not too much going on here. i taste hints of orange, apples, pears and some grapefruit but nothing that sticks out and really challenges the taste buds. it seems quite watered down with lots of grains, wheat and corn? if i were blindfolded and had no idea what this was i would say its a better than average, very drinkable macro lager.

d- this reminds me a lot of sam adams summer ale. take that as you may... thats not a bad thing, BUT i was expecting a little bit more from three floyds. pretty average and thats about it.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Beer was light orange in color, slightly hazy, and with a white, lumpy head composed of very small bubbles that sticks around for the entire glass. This beer looks very appetizing.

S: First thing that you smell is hops. I get a wonderful bright citrus and lemongrass smell from this beer. Then you smell the underlying wheat characteristics, telling you that this is, in fact, a wheat beer and not a pale ale.

T: Lemony citrus hop flavor like a pale that finishes with a touch of wheat. Surprising bitterness; reminded me a little bit of Alpha King with its slightly dry aftertaste that linger. Quite refreshing and nice.

M: Medium-light mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation. Very smooth!

This was my first time trying the beer and wow, I like this beer a lot! I think it lives up to the hype as a perfect summer beer. I love the drinkability and refreshing qualities of a wheat beer, but I'm a hop head so this beer really hits the mark for me. I just wish it wasn't $11 a six pack.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Nice amber color with a small white head...subsided to lust a bit of lacing.

Smells all pine hopness. I mean, you could use this beer as an example of the hop odor...no problem.

Tastes like hops...strongly of hops. However, unlike most hoppy beers this has zero bitterness. I've never had anything quite like it. Very tasty and refreshing.

This was an enjoyable brew through the entire pint and a nice change of pace from the typical wheat ale.

You should try it.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

12 oz bottle with cartoonish graphics. This beer pours a golden color with a decent fluffy white head. It smells of hops. This beer tastes like an APA; the wheat flavors are minimal. This beer is pretty alright; I was not expecting it to taste as it did.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a clear golden color with one finger of fluffy white head.

The smell is citrusy with some honey. A lot of orange and lemon. Definite hop presence, very little wheat in the nose.

Hops are prominent in the taste now, but the wheat sticks out much more than in the nose. Very fruity and flavorful. Orange and lemon jump out at first, followed by some very sweet malt and wheat flavors.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and crisp. Medium-light body with a decent amount of carbonation. Leaves the mouth a little dry.

Drinkability is great. Overall this is wonderful. This is like a nice cross between an IPA and a wheat ale.

Thanks to itsthelibyans on reddit for this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

22 oz bomber...

Everything about this beer was simply awesome! The color was perfect, the smell was just a great blend of malty sweetness, fruity aromas, and hops. Its low alcohol content was apparent as no alcohol smell could be found. First sip and I was hooked. This is a damn good beer for the summer! its great tasting and low AC make this the premier BBQ session beer! I want more!

This is one of those beers that is just enjoyable to drink from first sip to the last. Gumballhead is a great tasting craft beer that doesnt need to be extreme in IBUs or AC to make it good, and I suspect if more BMC drinkers tried this one, they would be converted to craft beers for sure!

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Bought a fresh 6-pack and poured a bottle into a mug. wow - vigorous carbonation and a clear pale golden color. The beer smells like pine and citrus and the usual 3 Floyds hoppy aroma but it had a wheat presence that felt balanced. a solid crisp beer.

This is a good summer session beer. I'd drink this often.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

This might be the best looking beer out there. IT’S light with a thick haze when held to the light. Almost cloudy like a Weiss beer.

The hop smell is amazing. Almost like an IPA but the dry wheat still comes into play.

The taste is unbelievable; it’s more like an IPA without the bitter flavor and still has the texture of a wheat beer. Although you can taste the hops, there is an obvious citrus flavor to the beer.

This beer is very drinkable; in fact I’ve had over five in one sitting. An awesome beer for the backyard barbeque or for the one beer a night flavor. This is an all around great beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Got this in a trade from Beerwolf77, popped my three floyds cherry, with a bang!

been looking forward to trying this, and I sure wasn't dissapointed, I just now discovered that there is such thing as a wheat beer with a hopkick, This hits the spot

Poors a dark yellow, tad but cloudy, but that might be the condensation on the glass playing tricks on me. Barely any head, and what was there was gone fast. Lots of grapefruit in the nose, gives it a nice hop scent, barely smell any wheat in this.

Tastes insanely refreshing, very fizzy but that goes along with the fresh fruity flavors, wheat up front, bitter hoppyness in the back.
As a 5.5% brew, I'd love to see it here in MS, I'll have my next bottle side by side with a tallgrass Halcyon, which according to my husband is better. Tastewise it's a close call, but I give this brew my vote!

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Had on tap in a pint glass at Durty Nellie's in Palatine, Illinois. A pleasant surprise on my trip to Chicago 'burbs for work. Heard many favorable mentions of Gumballhead and Three Floyds in the forums so jumped at the opportunity to try this one since I can't pick it up in California.

Pours pale yellow, nice bubbling carbonation that settles down a little, thin white head, not a lot of lacing.

I was surprised to see this one listed as a wheat beer as I seemed to remember some hopheads being the ones hyping this one. So, I'm expecting some sort of straightforward wheat beer but when I smell this one I get floral and piney hops right up front with a hint of spiciness. Smells really good.

Taste is floral hops and some notes of citrus fruits up front with traces of lemony sourness lingering around. The finish is just wheaty dryness - a good finish cleaning up the palate for another sip.

Moderate body, moderate carbonation. Crisp but smooth.

This was a really enjoyable, balanced beer that made me very happy. Those of you who can drink this often are lucky dogs.

Recieved from Josh (Alleykatking). Thanks! Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my DFH Pint.

A - Pours a golden color with some amber hues to it with a pretty decent haze which is expected. Looks very bright and with good carbonation. A nice two finger head forms and bright white head forms and dissapates moderatly to a cap and then to nothing. The head leaves light lacing on the side of the glass till its finished.

S - Wheat and hops steal the show on this beer which is suprising because I find most wheats that I have tried haven't had this sort of hops background that this one does, at least in the nose. Lots of grassy and earthy notes from the wheat though are present.

T - I get wheat at the beginning, really bright tasting, followed by a bit of the hops, but those are muted more in the mouth. You can taste the progression is very layered in the mouth, each thing comes and goes and then finishes really quick with no real after taste besides a bit of grassiness.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, a big blast of carbonation hits you and then fades very fast as well, part of those layered tastes I was talking about in the taste section.

D - A highly drinkable wheat beer that I'd love have again in the heat of summer on a super humid day sitting out in my yard after working on the garden.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Thickerfreakness rules for sending me this one! Decanted from the bottle into a weizen glass. Pours a golden color with a one-finger head that fizzes away quickly. Big aromas of pineapples and wheat, with a little spice underneath. Tastes of slightly bitter hops, wheat, biscuity malts, and a general fruitiness. The fruit really shows up after swallowing the beer. Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium and well carbonated. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've had, period. Overall this isn't quite what I expected, but totally awesome.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.