Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,545 | Ratings: 5,756
3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Bought a fresh 6-pack and poured a bottle into a mug. wow - vigorous carbonation and a clear pale golden color. The beer smells like pine and citrus and the usual 3 Floyds hoppy aroma but it had a wheat presence that felt balanced. a solid crisp beer.

This is a good summer session beer. I'd drink this often.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

This might be the best looking beer out there. IT’S light with a thick haze when held to the light. Almost cloudy like a Weiss beer.

The hop smell is amazing. Almost like an IPA but the dry wheat still comes into play.

The taste is unbelievable; it’s more like an IPA without the bitter flavor and still has the texture of a wheat beer. Although you can taste the hops, there is an obvious citrus flavor to the beer.

This beer is very drinkable; in fact I’ve had over five in one sitting. An awesome beer for the backyard barbeque or for the one beer a night flavor. This is an all around great beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Got this in a trade from Beerwolf77, popped my three floyds cherry, with a bang!

been looking forward to trying this, and I sure wasn't dissapointed, I just now discovered that there is such thing as a wheat beer with a hopkick, This hits the spot

Poors a dark yellow, tad but cloudy, but that might be the condensation on the glass playing tricks on me. Barely any head, and what was there was gone fast. Lots of grapefruit in the nose, gives it a nice hop scent, barely smell any wheat in this.

Tastes insanely refreshing, very fizzy but that goes along with the fresh fruity flavors, wheat up front, bitter hoppyness in the back.
As a 5.5% brew, I'd love to see it here in MS, I'll have my next bottle side by side with a tallgrass Halcyon, which according to my husband is better. Tastewise it's a close call, but I give this brew my vote!

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Had on tap in a pint glass at Durty Nellie's in Palatine, Illinois. A pleasant surprise on my trip to Chicago 'burbs for work. Heard many favorable mentions of Gumballhead and Three Floyds in the forums so jumped at the opportunity to try this one since I can't pick it up in California.

Pours pale yellow, nice bubbling carbonation that settles down a little, thin white head, not a lot of lacing.

I was surprised to see this one listed as a wheat beer as I seemed to remember some hopheads being the ones hyping this one. So, I'm expecting some sort of straightforward wheat beer but when I smell this one I get floral and piney hops right up front with a hint of spiciness. Smells really good.

Taste is floral hops and some notes of citrus fruits up front with traces of lemony sourness lingering around. The finish is just wheaty dryness - a good finish cleaning up the palate for another sip.

Moderate body, moderate carbonation. Crisp but smooth.

This was a really enjoyable, balanced beer that made me very happy. Those of you who can drink this often are lucky dogs.

Recieved from Josh (Alleykatking). Thanks! Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my DFH Pint.

A - Pours a golden color with some amber hues to it with a pretty decent haze which is expected. Looks very bright and with good carbonation. A nice two finger head forms and bright white head forms and dissapates moderatly to a cap and then to nothing. The head leaves light lacing on the side of the glass till its finished.

S - Wheat and hops steal the show on this beer which is suprising because I find most wheats that I have tried haven't had this sort of hops background that this one does, at least in the nose. Lots of grassy and earthy notes from the wheat though are present.

T - I get wheat at the beginning, really bright tasting, followed by a bit of the hops, but those are muted more in the mouth. You can taste the progression is very layered in the mouth, each thing comes and goes and then finishes really quick with no real after taste besides a bit of grassiness.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, a big blast of carbonation hits you and then fades very fast as well, part of those layered tastes I was talking about in the taste section.

D - A highly drinkable wheat beer that I'd love have again in the heat of summer on a super humid day sitting out in my yard after working on the garden.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Thickerfreakness rules for sending me this one! Decanted from the bottle into a weizen glass. Pours a golden color with a one-finger head that fizzes away quickly. Big aromas of pineapples and wheat, with a little spice underneath. Tastes of slightly bitter hops, wheat, biscuity malts, and a general fruitiness. The fruit really shows up after swallowing the beer. Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium and well carbonated. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've had, period. Overall this isn't quite what I expected, but totally awesome.

3.86/5  rDev -8.3%

Growler into a pint glass, thanks to calbertb2.

A: Big, creamy looking wheat-y head. The color is kind of a pale, quite clear yellow and really not all that appealing. Lacing is pretty great.

S: Lots of hops here! Not exactly what I was expecting. The wheat brings out the earthy notes in a really nice way - I get a lot of grass and pine, all with a grain-like backbone. Lots of citrus as well, mostly grapefruit - great balance between these two aroma groups. Smells like summer on a farm, which is really nice.

T: Everything is a little bit more muted here than it is on the nose. I generally don't love beers like this, but this is super refreshing on a really warm day. Everything is in the same order as the aroma - the bitterness is really subdued by the earthy notes, and the hop tastes are more earthy than citrusy, though the grapefruit flavor is still present.

M: A little bit thin. I was hoping for something more from the aroma. This makes for a really crisp, light beer however.

D: The drinkability of this is phenomenal. I'm enjoying it outside on a 75+ degree day and I'm sure I'm going to have no problem finishing the growler by myself. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, but this is really hitting the spot.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I stopped in at Bass Pro Shop in Portage, IN. and they had this on tap as their house special. I knew 3 Floyds knew their shit about beer because they are one of the greats. This beer at first is not too impressive, but as Hank the Tank put it....once it hits your lips it taste so good. The beer pours a nice golden color with a decent head. Not too much aroma coming off but a slight citrus fragrance. In you mouth it is a great summer flavor explosion going on with taste of sweet summer citrus and honey going on. Feels so good on the palate. I would drink 12 of these if I had the time. BTW.... They are pretty close to the MICHIGAN border. No wonder they know their beer!

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

The very best American wheat beer I've ever had. I wish 3 Floyds had a bigger distribution than they do. Well worth ordering a six pack just to see what we're missing.
Think a hoppy Oberon and you'd be close.

4.01/5  rDev -4.8%

Would be clueless about this one were I not a slight Cheer-Accident fan. Okay, very slight--I only own one album.
Pours a copper-yellow with a very thin, white head and almost no lacing.
Smells of banana, pineapple, pine, citrus, and cloves? Quite good.
I really liked the smell but the taste was just a bit of a letdown. Something missing...very slight bitterness, with a decent hoppiness and corny citrus flavor. Peppery.
Mouthfeel is a bit watery, and I think this is partly what detracts from the taste. Crisp, with a moderate level of carbonation.
Good on drinkability. Could easily handle several of these in one sitting.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance - Golden/yellow color, medium carbonation, 1/2 finger head that slowly fades and leaves gentle lacing on the glass and throughout the beer.

Smell - hoppy/citrusy. Smells very sweet, some fruit as well as perfumy aromas.

Taste - WOW! So crisp and clean. What an amazing wheat beer. Great citrusy lemon taste. All ingredients blend so well. Perfect amount of hops. One of the better wheat beers I've consumed.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, very smooth.

Drinkability - I love this beer, I wish it made it to New York. Thank god I travel for work and I will pick this up for then and now everytime I am in Chi Town!

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's a summer day out on your back porch. If one of these is in a glass and 3 more are in your cooler you will be a happy camper. Hoppy for a wheat ale, which i personally love, with a great 3Floyds nose. I find that my non beer guests always enjoy this so it is a great party beer.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Aroma
Bit surprised, for a wheat beer this has a pretty hoppy scent. Piney/floral scent, rather refreshing

Mouthfeel
Bit of oiliness on the palette with a bit of feel, medium/high carbonation and enough bitterness to feel along the sides of the mouth

Appearance
Pours slightly hazy in a shaker pint mostly clear golden color with a stark head that dissipated although not sure if the glass is really beer clean.

Taste
Clean refreshing taste that's got a decent hop bite, has a clear pine flavor which doesn't seem too forward to me.

Drinkability
For me I don't think I'd want to go very many but largely due to hoppiness. This could be a nice session beer.

Overall
For this to be a wheat beer it really tastes like a pale ale to me. I like the hoppiness and this is a clean refreshing beer.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had a few of these over the past few months, finally time to review.

A - Pale yellow, golden color, clear beer. A bit simple in that regard. The head is nice, lingers for about half the beer, and has awesome sticky lacing.

S - Awesome. I could keep my nose in the glass for minutes! Grapefruit and pine. A hit of wheat. Fresh lemon.

T - Pronounced floral hoppiness to begin, followed by a hint of malt, and then the wheat/bready/yeast notes...a nice tartness and some oily hops to finish. Each sip is nuanced, and delicious. Lemon and grapefruit abound!

M - So crisp, smooth, and fresh. Perfect carbonation level.

D - Very high. It's hard for me to have only one of these. Great with food, great by itself, too. A delicious brew. A hop lover's wheat beer.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured in a pint glass.

A: Nice clear gold appearance. Very soft looking head.

S: Malts and fruity - grapefruit mostly.

T: Malts and hops seem to start slow and then build up. This beer finishes strong.

D: Nice carbonization and light. For me this beer starts out slow and finishes strong. This is quite different from most beers I drink.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into pint glass, nice golden color with a finger and a half of head. Nose is piney hops, bit of citrus. Taste is congruent, hoppy, I feel like I find some mango and orange. A little wheat. Overall, great beer, well balanced and refreshing, with agreat crisp to relieve summers woes

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Served to me in a pint glass, this was a very unassuming gold with a small frothy head. It looks very lager-ish.

S: Scents of grapefruit and orange, with some warm grain, and some grassy undertones.

T: Pine and citrus flavors, buttery orange muffin, oregano, it's complex and somewhat spicy.

M: Medium weight beer, a tingling burn, with a drying and lingering finish, slightly bitter around the edges.

D: I do get some of the alcohol, but it's a still a great summery brew.

Notes: Out of the three, I enjoy Lagunitas Sumpin' Sumpin' more, and Bell's Oberon comes in third.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks Hawks10 for this one!

A - Tangerine with a white foamy 1 finger head.

S - Strong citrus, pine, hops, and lemon.

T - More citrus, strong malt finish, tasting a bit of orange and grapefruit.

M - Right amount of carbonation, medium bodied. Goes down quite easy.

O - Enjoyed this one, first offering from Three Floyds. Great refreshing summer beer - would seek out again.

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Go to 3 Floyd in warmer weather for me. Temperature on this beer is more important than originally thought. Tried it first when it was 38 degrees or so and didn't think it was all that great. Had another one at about 45 to 50 degrees and flavor comes out. Tastes a little of citrus and wheat. Aftertaste at correct higher temperature is a little like a gumball or slightly sweet aftertaste. If I were to drink a lot of expensive beer this would be my choice. Not overly filling, easy to drink, great summer beer.

Damn fine wheat ale, one of the flagships IMO. A pretty, yellow-gold pour, with nice head retention and lacing. On the nose, citrus and tropical hop aromas mix with a slightly sweet, slightly spicy wheat-malt aroma. The flavor, like the aroma, is surprisingly hoppy, focused on a characteristic 3F citrusy-tropical flavor. Malts provide a nice balancing act with the hops, fairly dry and slightly spicy, with the barest hint of honeyed sweetness. Medium-light body, nice level of carbonation, and fairly light and refreshing while still being laden with flavor. Very good.

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%

First off I just now realized that I have not reviewed this beer and this is funny because it is one of my favorittes and the craft beer that turned me onto this wonderful hobby of ours.

The appearance rocks! huge head and a golden orange body and is consistent with its color. The bubbles shoot up to the whip cream like head.

Smell is citrusy hopps and fills my nose with almost a lemony smell

Taste is amazing. It is a hoppy taste with out the bitterness. This beer makes me feel like it is summer.

Mouthfeel is great the only reason it isnt a 5 is because of it being just a tad light

Drinkability on this one is the highest I have ever had. I could drink one of these everyday and have to be pretty self diciplined not to just drink the whole six pack.

I have to applaud three floyds for having one of the best beers I have ever tasted

3.32/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours with a white head that disapates quickly leaving a lacing on the glass. Quite clear for a wheat beer. Carbonation is high and flows through the almost straw-colored body. Aromas of spiciness, fruity esters typical for wheat beers. Taste of hops that coats the tongue followed by a spiciness, almost yeasty bite.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great dark golden color. The short lived fizzy head smelled of many different fruits but still had a bit of malt in it.

The taste was great and beats most other wheat beers I've tasted. The beer finished fruity with a twist of sweet but didn't leave my mouth as clean as I would have liked. Not a big downfall, but enough to keep me from drinking more that one or two. A bomber is more than enough.

The carbonation helped to keep the beer from being too syrupy. A great beer.

3.59/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Meh. Pours a nice golden color w/ 2 finger head that retains. Hops on the nose. Body is a bit thin for my liking, to me hops balance nicely with the thin malty presence. Could drink a few, but prefer other FFF offerings more. Not at a price point I care for either.

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

From Notes - had on tap and bottle.

A - straw colored clear with big white head, lots of lacing.

S - hops, slightly bready, peaches maybe, some wheat

T - hops then peach or apricot flavor, some zing from the wheat.

M - light bodied, good carbonation, refreshing and light.

O - excellent. Perfect summer beer. Can drink a lot of this. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beer but this is fantastic.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.