Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,535 | Ratings: 5,696
4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance - Golden/yellow color, medium carbonation, 1/2 finger head that slowly fades and leaves gentle lacing on the glass and throughout the beer.

Smell - hoppy/citrusy. Smells very sweet, some fruit as well as perfumy aromas.

Taste - WOW! So crisp and clean. What an amazing wheat beer. Great citrusy lemon taste. All ingredients blend so well. Perfect amount of hops. One of the better wheat beers I've consumed.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, very smooth.

Drinkability - I love this beer, I wish it made it to New York. Thank god I travel for work and I will pick this up for then and now everytime I am in Chi Town!

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's a summer day out on your back porch. If one of these is in a glass and 3 more are in your cooler you will be a happy camper. Hoppy for a wheat ale, which i personally love, with a great 3Floyds nose. I find that my non beer guests always enjoy this so it is a great party beer.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Aroma
Bit surprised, for a wheat beer this has a pretty hoppy scent. Piney/floral scent, rather refreshing

Mouthfeel
Bit of oiliness on the palette with a bit of feel, medium/high carbonation and enough bitterness to feel along the sides of the mouth

Appearance
Pours slightly hazy in a shaker pint mostly clear golden color with a stark head that dissipated although not sure if the glass is really beer clean.

Taste
Clean refreshing taste that's got a decent hop bite, has a clear pine flavor which doesn't seem too forward to me.

Drinkability
For me I don't think I'd want to go very many but largely due to hoppiness. This could be a nice session beer.

Overall
For this to be a wheat beer it really tastes like a pale ale to me. I like the hoppiness and this is a clean refreshing beer.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had a few of these over the past few months, finally time to review.

A - Pale yellow, golden color, clear beer. A bit simple in that regard. The head is nice, lingers for about half the beer, and has awesome sticky lacing.

S - Awesome. I could keep my nose in the glass for minutes! Grapefruit and pine. A hit of wheat. Fresh lemon.

T - Pronounced floral hoppiness to begin, followed by a hint of malt, and then the wheat/bready/yeast notes...a nice tartness and some oily hops to finish. Each sip is nuanced, and delicious. Lemon and grapefruit abound!

M - So crisp, smooth, and fresh. Perfect carbonation level.

D - Very high. It's hard for me to have only one of these. Great with food, great by itself, too. A delicious brew. A hop lover's wheat beer.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured in a pint glass.

A: Nice clear gold appearance. Very soft looking head.

S: Malts and fruity - grapefruit mostly.

T: Malts and hops seem to start slow and then build up. This beer finishes strong.

D: Nice carbonization and light. For me this beer starts out slow and finishes strong. This is quite different from most beers I drink.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into pint glass, nice golden color with a finger and a half of head. Nose is piney hops, bit of citrus. Taste is congruent, hoppy, I feel like I find some mango and orange. A little wheat. Overall, great beer, well balanced and refreshing, with agreat crisp to relieve summers woes

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Served to me in a pint glass, this was a very unassuming gold with a small frothy head. It looks very lager-ish.

S: Scents of grapefruit and orange, with some warm grain, and some grassy undertones.

T: Pine and citrus flavors, buttery orange muffin, oregano, it's complex and somewhat spicy.

M: Medium weight beer, a tingling burn, with a drying and lingering finish, slightly bitter around the edges.

D: I do get some of the alcohol, but it's a still a great summery brew.

Notes: Out of the three, I enjoy Lagunitas Sumpin' Sumpin' more, and Bell's Oberon comes in third.

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Go to 3 Floyd in warmer weather for me. Temperature on this beer is more important than originally thought. Tried it first when it was 38 degrees or so and didn't think it was all that great. Had another one at about 45 to 50 degrees and flavor comes out. Tastes a little of citrus and wheat. Aftertaste at correct higher temperature is a little like a gumball or slightly sweet aftertaste. If I were to drink a lot of expensive beer this would be my choice. Not overly filling, easy to drink, great summer beer.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks Hawks10 for this one!

A - Tangerine with a white foamy 1 finger head.

S - Strong citrus, pine, hops, and lemon.

T - More citrus, strong malt finish, tasting a bit of orange and grapefruit.

M - Right amount of carbonation, medium bodied. Goes down quite easy.

O - Enjoyed this one, first offering from Three Floyds. Great refreshing summer beer - would seek out again.

Damn fine wheat ale, one of the flagships IMO. A pretty, yellow-gold pour, with nice head retention and lacing. On the nose, citrus and tropical hop aromas mix with a slightly sweet, slightly spicy wheat-malt aroma. The flavor, like the aroma, is surprisingly hoppy, focused on a characteristic 3F citrusy-tropical flavor. Malts provide a nice balancing act with the hops, fairly dry and slightly spicy, with the barest hint of honeyed sweetness. Medium-light body, nice level of carbonation, and fairly light and refreshing while still being laden with flavor. Very good.

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%

First off I just now realized that I have not reviewed this beer and this is funny because it is one of my favorittes and the craft beer that turned me onto this wonderful hobby of ours.

The appearance rocks! huge head and a golden orange body and is consistent with its color. The bubbles shoot up to the whip cream like head.

Smell is citrusy hopps and fills my nose with almost a lemony smell

Taste is amazing. It is a hoppy taste with out the bitterness. This beer makes me feel like it is summer.

Mouthfeel is great the only reason it isnt a 5 is because of it being just a tad light

Drinkability on this one is the highest I have ever had. I could drink one of these everyday and have to be pretty self diciplined not to just drink the whole six pack.

I have to applaud three floyds for having one of the best beers I have ever tasted

3.32/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours with a white head that disapates quickly leaving a lacing on the glass. Quite clear for a wheat beer. Carbonation is high and flows through the almost straw-colored body. Aromas of spiciness, fruity esters typical for wheat beers. Taste of hops that coats the tongue followed by a spiciness, almost yeasty bite.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great dark golden color. The short lived fizzy head smelled of many different fruits but still had a bit of malt in it.

The taste was great and beats most other wheat beers I've tasted. The beer finished fruity with a twist of sweet but didn't leave my mouth as clean as I would have liked. Not a big downfall, but enough to keep me from drinking more that one or two. A bomber is more than enough.

The carbonation helped to keep the beer from being too syrupy. A great beer.

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

From Notes - had on tap and bottle.

A - straw colored clear with big white head, lots of lacing.

S - hops, slightly bready, peaches maybe, some wheat

T - hops then peach or apricot flavor, some zing from the wheat.

M - light bodied, good carbonation, refreshing and light.

O - excellent. Perfect summer beer. Can drink a lot of this. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beer but this is fantastic.

4.84/5  rDev +15%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite wheat beer because it is not your typical wheat beer. Excellent smells of fruit and wheat all at once, the taste is even better. Lots of wheat flavor, but with the attitude of a pale ale. Good head and lacing for a lighter offering. Highly recommend this one to any beer drinker.

3.14/5  rDev -25.4%

A- Pours a clear, pale straw color with a frothy white head that you expect from a wheat beer.
S- The nose is pretty much all hops, and Pacific Northwest hops at that. Notes of grapefruit rind and pine resin stand out with just a hint of honey sweetness in the background.
T- Much like it smells, a resiny hop flavor greets the palate as you take your first sip. For just a moment you get to taste the sweetness of the malted wheat, but that quickly gives way to a bitter finish reminiscent of citrus rind. A very clean beer; whatever estery/phenolic contributions the yeast brought to the party (maybe a smidgin of clove?) were completely overrun by the hops.
M- A tad thin, but what you'd expect from an American wheat.
D- Very sessionable at 4.8% ABV.

Overall: I should start out by noting that I'm not a big fan of American wheats (without some kind of yeast contribution--like a Hefeweizen--or spicing--like a Belgian Wit--they just seem kind of pointless), and I'm not a big IPA fan, so it's not surprising that I wouldn't like what's basically a scaled-down wheat IPA. That being said, I've given plenty of IPA's good reviews and my mediocre rating of this beer isn't the result of my personal preference. Rather I think this beer is too one-dimensional. If you want to make a hoppy wheat beer, go nuts. However, I think it needs a bit more malt body to stand up to the hops. If you're a hophead looking for a lawnmower beer, this is for you. But if you're looking for any semblance of balance or complexity, skip this one.

4.69/5  rDev +11.4%

The appearance is at first sort of off putting. It pours a fizzy filtered yellow with a white head that fades fast, but once you get to the smell you know its a whole different ballgame. It smells of strong citrus hops and a nice wheat sweetness. The taste is similar to the smell and its just perfect. A nice hop bitterness with a sweet wheat after taste. Its more like a plain pale ale but with an added wheat sweetness. This is an exceptional beer. The mouthfeel is sort of thin but its ever so drinkable. I wish I could get this all summer in Texas!

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a very crisp, clear orange-golden color with very little head and an extremely faint lacing on top. No date on the bottle though, so I'm not sure how fresh it is.

The smell is excellent, hops come rushing up to your nose. Definitely citrus notes present.

Wheat taste up front with some bitterness and spice taste briefly in the middle. Ending taste is of hops with a degree of sweetness to it as well.

Mouthfeel at the first taste is actually dry and light to medium bodied. Some sharpness is present but fades away leaving a crisp aftertaste.

This is the first time I've ever had gumballhead and I'm wishing I could get it here. The drinkability seems very high to me on this one and I'd like nothing more than to have a 6 pack of this on hand at the moment.

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip pint:

Appearance and Smell:Poured a pretty translucent yellow/orange with a thin white head which liked to cling to the glass a bit. A thin white film kind of just sat on top of the brew after the head dissipated. Plenty of carbonation present. Smelled of sweet pineapple, citrus, with a bit of toasty wheat, and yeasty scent present. Really appealing heavy fruit scent to this.

Taste and Mouthfeel:Pretty light bodied brew. Carbonation helped keep it from seeming to thin. Tasted of bitter-sweet grassy citrus, and a bit of very subtle lemon and bread. Really pleasant hoppy aftertaste to this, it was pretty sticky on the mouth. The taste and feel really underwhelmed me after smelling this thing.

Drinkability:This seems pretty close to an ideal summer sessionable beer. Definitely a beer you buy 6 of instead of a single. This beer smelled nothing short of great, and I loved how a thin head stuck around all the way down on this. I'd probably get another six of this sometime in the summer, overall i wouldn't go out of my way for this myself though. Just the extremely sweet scent made the subtle flavors pale in comparison a bit too much.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

A- Poured a dirty golden glistening body with a thick, creamy head that still exists to this day.

S- Wonderful citrus hops. Pine, lemon, and grass-like notes. Hidden in the background is the wheat and malty sweetness.

T- Immediate burst of Amarillo hops. Wonderful grapefruit, lemon, and peach-like flavors swirl around the palate. Aftertaste consists of the sweeter malt and wheat. Very complex for a wheat.

M- Very creamy and smooth with perfect carbonation

I'd definitely return.

Wheat beer? I wouldn't have known. It might be the volume beer I've drunk so far tonight, but it's a good hoppy beer, but definitely not a wheat beer, at least compred to like a hefeweizen. .

It's a solid hoppy beer. I apologize for the ratebeer style brief review, but I give this a solid 4.0

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into tulip.

A- Slightly hazy glowing golden with a small white head.

S- The Amarillo hops are the first thing that hits the nose. Slight bready wheat towards present as well as orange. It's not as in your face as a white IPA so I think it is true to style.

T- Hops are on the forefront follows the nose in that it's not a punch to the palate but more subtle, dry, dank hop. The finish is just a slight touch of red wheat with a little yeast and bread. It's a very well balanced and a slight dry finish.

M- Light to medium mouthfeel with low carbonation makes this extremely drinkable almost dangerously so. Not too sweet or bitter with hops and the wheat really is a nice touch to round it out.

O- I think this ale along with everything I have tried from FFF truly lives up to its reputation. There's just a comfortable dankness to their ales and this one is no different. I will definitely be drinking this when the temperature is getting up there this summer. Cheers.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a golden amber, with little head. Looks like a beer in a commercial, that's not a bad thing. Smells of citrus and hops, not overpowering. Excellent. Has a little bit of hop bite up front, with the wheat coming in later, but coming in really strong. A hint of something citrusy...grapefruit maybe? At less than 5% ABV, this is one you can sip all day. I just might.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Had on tap at Kumas corner served in a pint glass.

The color of this three floyd's concoction was a nice dark yellow that was pretty clear and had very little foam at the top.

The smell of this one is a wheat and hoppy smell with more wheat than hops. It also has a fruity grapefruit characteristic.

The taste of this one is a nice citric hop flavor, followed by a surge of grapefruit/orange sweetness that combines with a wheat flavor that has a semi Belgian character to it. The sweet wheat flavor fades nicely to a good fruit aftertaste.

The mouthfeel of this one is fairly light to me with a crisp carbonation that is pretty easy to drink. I enjoyed my fantastic burger paired with this as it was a refreshing pause from the bacon and onions.

Overall this beer on draft is insanely better than the bottles version, I could not believe it actually was better after hearing so from a few friends. I am glad I tried this one on draft it definitely opened my eyes to how good gum ball head actually can be. Sorry for doubting the glory of the gum ball head.

3.59/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Meh. Pours a nice golden color w/ 2 finger head that retains. Hops on the nose. Body is a bit thin for my liking, to me hops balance nicely with the thin malty presence. Could drink a few, but prefer other FFF offerings more. Not at a price point I care for either.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.