Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,529 | Ratings: 5,676
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Found a big bottle at Andersonville liquors.

The light golden/orange brew has a small sticky foamy head.

A very nice aroma of hops citrus and wheat is a nice blend that encourages you to take a big sip of this fine brew.

This is a fantastic beer with great flavors. Hops and wheat blend is very tasty. Nice citrus with oranges and light lemons. Moderate amount of bitterness at the end finishes of a great beer.

Moderate carbination, and refreshing light mouthfeel makes this a very drinkable and enjoyable treat from a great brewery.. get this one.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

I may have found the perfect summer beer. Perfect for me, anyway, and anyone else who is a big fan of hops. It's ingenious, really. A hoppy wheat beer. Why didn't I think of this? I love my IPA's, but they're a little heavy for the summer months, so I tend to move towards wheats/hefes. This beer gives you the benefits of wheat...a little lighter, a little more crisp, but you get to keep the hops! I've taken off points of other beers for not being within style guidelines and think I need to be somewhat consistent or this score would be even higher. The IBU's on this one would certainly exceed the norm, but if you're going to stray from the guidelines do it on the side of hops as far as I'm concerned. Very well done!

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft, appears light golden with half finger of head.  Appears very carbonated, but dies quickly. Smells of fresh grass and pines.  Complimemted by amazing floral tastes. The hops are not overbearing in the least. Very smooth taste and mouthfeel. This would make a great session beer. Very impressive.

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Thanks to kickinthechalice for this awesome, awesome beer... would honestly drink it everyday if I could actually get my hands on it! (So maybe it's better that I can't.... lol)

Appearance: Yellowish straw color, cloudy with a very thin white head that dissipates quickly. Kind of looks like a Bud regular actually, haha...

Aroma: Smells great. Pineapple right up front , along with some tropical and citrusy hops. There are piney hops in the back, but they are much less pronounced than the fruity tropical hops in the front. I can smell a tiny bit of wheat, but the aroma is definitely dominated by that great pineappley hoppy goodness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Pineapple mixed with pine, nice slightly bitter hoppy bite and some kind of toasted wheat to balance it out. This is really good, kind of reminds me of Ale Asylum Bedlam! which I absolutely love. The mouthfeel is thin and nicely carbonated - I think it fits the style well. Overall, this is a great tasting and feeling beer.

Notes: Drinkability is definitely good. I could drink several of these, I only wish that I had that many to enjoy! For everyone who can get their hands on Gumballhead on a regular basis.... I am extremely jealous of you!

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

The very best American wheat beer I've ever had. I wish 3 Floyds had a bigger distribution than they do. Well worth ordering a six pack just to see what we're missing.
Think a hoppy Oberon and you'd be close.

2.87/5  rDev -31.8%

IBU –
DATE – 2 June 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 oz Bottle
GLASSWARE – Goblet
APPEARANCE – Golden and clear with a nice stream of bubbles coming up right in the center of the glass, very thin head.
AROMA- Very hoppy and hints of sweet fruit
TASTE – a light citrus hop flavor, a little bitter as well, but in a refreshing way
MOUTHFEEL – Good carbonation, in fact maybe a bit too much. This is a very gassy beer.
CONCLUSION – For a wheat beer this taste more like an IPA. It is not bad, but when you are expecting a good wheat flavor and instead you get a hoppy flavor, well it just throws off the whole thing. I would drink this again now that I know what to expect.
-JH-

4.59/5  rDev +9%

I am a little partial to this brew. Gumballhead really pushed me over the edge on craft brews. It is available on tap at most bars and is now my go to when I'm out with friends.

A - Pours a golden hue very cloudy with a nice head.

S - Lots of hops!!! Mandarin, orange zest and bouquet of happiness!

T - Big on the hops. This is definitely the amarillo hops. Personally one of my favorites. You get a wheaty influence and it once to take over, but the hops are just too much to overwhelm.

M - Pretty good body to the taste.

D - This is my summer beer! It is perfect for a hot day hanging out by the pool...

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

I had this on tap at the Three Floyd's brewpub and was quite impressed. I was told they use Amarillo hops in this wheat and that is one of the reasons I was very interested in trying it out. While technically it is an American wheat ale, it is unlike any other I have ever had. I tend to dislike standard American wheat ales finding them to be very bland and definitely needing the lemon wedge they are served with. This beer destroyed that stereotype. The amarillo hop addition gives this beer quite a bit of flavor. The hops have a citrusy, similar to grapefruit flavor to go along with their bite and it really makes quite an impression when drinking Gumballhead. I can find this beer in 22oz bottles, but most liquor stores want $6 / bottle, and unfortunately I just can't justify spending that kind of money. Great beer, but the limited production quantities keeps the price a little too high.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours with a hazy orange body with a decent head. Can smell the grapefruityness of the hops in the nose. But what a taste - the palate is almost confused - the mellow wheatiness on the front with the grapefruitiness of the hops in the back makes for a VERY good beer. Eminently quaffable, with a lighter mouthfeel one would expect from a wheat beer more so than an ale. Highly recommended (from someone who is not a hophead).

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

into my weizen glass it pours a beautiful golden honey color with a nice two in pure foam head that leaves nice lacing down the sides of the glass. A beautiful looking beer. Smells of honey and wheat and mild fruit. A very nice taste as well. You can definatley tastet the honey and wheat. Mouthfeel is superb very light and crisp. I'm sorry i waited this long to crack this one open. I have to say one of my favorites

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a hazy copper with a thin white head. Lacing is leaving thick bands on my glass.

Smell is very amarillo dominated. I thought for a second that I was sticking my face in a box of Fruity Pebbles, mmmm.

And the taste, holy crap is that stuff good. It's hop heavy with just tons of sweet smooth amarillos, but the balance is there most definitely. Citrus flavors move in and out on the tongue at different times.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and that sets it head and shoulders above all the other American wheat beers.

Drinkability is insane, one bottle was not enough, it is so good I and low abv and smoothness makes me just want to drink this all afternoon on the back porch. Summer beer of the year this year for sure!

3.72/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a standard glass pint. Pours a cloudy golden straw color with a bunch o' carbonation. BIG, firm banana colored head. Foamy & fluffy with staying power that leaves clouds of lace that line the sides of the glass.

Smells of light lemon zest & hops.
The beer is malty smooth & light with a fizzy mouth & refreshing citrus finish. The hops could be a little strong through the swallow. Wheat & grain is very subtle & well concealed. In the mix...hops present better than the malts. NO bitter aftertaste. Easy to drink. Crisp & light. Not too complex or strong. A little weaker than I expected in the mouth. This is a nice "go to" beer on a summer day. While not one of my favorites from FFF, certainly worth drinking if you can get it fresh.
Recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

This beer is very unusual for a wheat beer and probably doesn't fit the style guidelines at all. But that being said it is probably as good if not better than most 'wheat beers' out there.

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with no head and little lace. Smells of citrus and pine trees. Taste is very lemony with a hint of honey and apricots. Doesn't have any of the clove and banana taste that most wheat beers seem to have. I'd say it resembles more an american pale ale in that the aroma and bittering hops hit you in the face but the subtleties of the wheat do come through. Extremely drinkable and a definitely a great summer brew. No wonder this beer is so sought after.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Thanks to PabstBlue for picking this bottle up for me!

Poured a hazy amber peach color with golden highlights. There was a finger of creamy eggshell-white head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving a very slight lacing on the side of the glass.

The nose is grapefruit and lemon citrus with bread dough and a light caramel sweetness coming through followed by a convincing pine hoppyness in the back of the nose.

The taste is wheat with lemon, grapefruit, and pine hops that come with a pleasantly absent bite. As it rolls down the sides of the tongue I get bubblegum and a floral yeast. Very smooth and balanced flavors. As the beer warmed a little I did pick up a hint of alcohol but not enough to overpower any of the other flavors. The mouthfeel is creamy but with an fresh effervescent crispness that makes it go down smooth.

Overall an amazing beer, not exactly what I expected from a summery wheat beer but very good nonetheless. I've never had a wheat beer with this level of complexity and excellent drinkability. I'm really glad that FFF has started brewing this year-round and I can't wait to get my hands on more of it!!

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

Golden in color with mild head that left a trace of lacing.
The nose is hoppy, piney, ctirusy (Grapefruit, lemon. orange).
Tastes of hops, wheat, malt, and your citrus flavors shine threw for this tasty brew, not to mention the almost honey like after taste. The carbonation was good, the mouthfeel was great and the drinkablilty excellent. I really enjoyed this wheat beer from 3F and I thank DOC Jordison from Tucson for sending it up to ames Iowa for me.

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%

This was an extra from d0b. My first trader and he really hooked me up. Thanks buddy. This was my first beer back after a horrible, horrible week.

I love the wackiness of the FFF labels. A perfect combination of playfulness, cubism and early '90's day glow.

Bottle undated. This was poured vigorously and did little. Barely any head formed and was shy to come back with some hearty swirling of the glass. Clear as day with a nice orange hued bronze color. With the slightest bit of husk particles clinging to the bottom of the head. A bit disappointing in this department. But looks aren't everything.

A bit different aromatically for a wheat beer. You really get more hops (Amarillo) than the grainy, banana, clove and estery notes you'd associate with a wheat beer. I like it but it caught me a bit off guard at first. The gets deeper and the dried fruitiness of the Amarillo hops really comes on strong as this warms.

On the palate this seems a bit light, transparent and ghost-ish. A kind of now you taste it now you don't beer. With all the hops in the nose you'd expect a carryover but they are barely there. With the wheat you'd expect the citrusy, grainy goodness, but alas there is little. The light lemon, rolled oat and cinnamon sugar spice is nice enough but very short of amazing.

I like the low carbonation and the broad feel to this beer. It lingers. It grows sip after sip, those light flavors grow and grow. And the brightness at the edges of the mouth is a nice touch.

Overall I think this may be a less than fresh bottle given the mildness of the Amarillo hops which I typically find to be very agressive when present and young. Why do people still not date the bottles they produce? Can't figure it out.

Bottom line not an "Extreme" beer but a well crafted one and one I would truly enjoy putting down a 6pk at a time. With the <5% ABV this also won't put a huge hurt on ya. Summer time fun!

Thanks again Dave for the great trade and the great beers. You are a champ!

Got get my Gumballhead. Simply incredible and if you are reading this wondering if you should buy it the answer is Yes, especially since it isn't distributed much. It's basically an IPA with wheat. The wheat (small amount detected) isn't prounounced and there isn't a wheat beer yeast character at all. I'm guessing the yeast is an IPA yeast or ale yeast and not a wheat ale yeast or hefe yeast. All the better. An elevation and transformation of styles. This beer is a classic.

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via trade. about two months old
A: slightly Cloudy

S: Wheat, Hops, a little sweet bread

T: might have been a little off as it was Not super fresh when I had it so I will need to re rate at a later date.

F: had a light feel decent finish.

O: Good beer but I might be great when fresh, I will visit again when a fresh bottle or tap is available

On draft at local establishment.
Nice citrus smell.
Crisp & clean with a nice big hop bitter that endures throughout.
The really big question is always whether you'd drink it again, & yes, yes I would.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Golden Hue, big head that doesn't last too long
S- Insane Hops aromatics(but that is to be expected from FFF), maybe a bit of orange?

T- Big Hops, good wheat to balance the hops....nice and light, but hearty at the same time

M- Good body, nice and light-like a good summer beer should be

D- Awesome....once the 6rs come out it will be a staple...

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours out a hazy golden orange, small head with light thin lacing as it dissipates. Smells of citrus and hops and i noticed a fruit juice aroma after a few drinks. Not a strong smell at all. Tastes very good with the hops dominant over the wheat and yeast in a nicely balanced presentation. Much hoppier than other wheat ales. Light, tart mouthfeel with an amazingly good drinkability. 3 Floyds has taken a wheat ale and kicked it up a notch! I am glad that this is readily available to me!

4.8/5  rDev +14%

2012 12oz bottle

Thanks to a great trader, bauermj, for an extra.

A: gorgeous golden body, almost like a big ipa but without any typical caramel character. Very light white half-finger head which disappears with almost no lacing.

S and T: this is an ideal session beer, the complexities are not overstated but every sip leaves you with a different impression. Really cool application of amarillo hops. Slight bitterness but big taste with citrussy notes that come from elsewhere. The hops must've been FWH, because they are all taste and tiny aroma. Not too dry and not a sweet fluffy wheat beer.

M: perfect, more carbonation appears from each sip than the original pour.

O: i want more of this and would pay twice the listed price for a sixer.

2011 bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light caramel/golden yellow with a half finger thick white head. The head subsided rather quickly leaving only a thin layer on top. Good lacing.

Smell: The primary smell is a citrus hop flavor. It smells a little like a pale ale.

Taste: An initial sweet citrus taste is balanced out by a slightly bitter hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Goes down smooth and easy.

Overall: This is a solid easy to drink beer. The sweetness of the wheat is well balanced with the slight bitterness and citrus notes of the Amarillo hops. It is basically a wheat pale ale (WPA?). I mowed the lawn earlier this morning and craved this beer when I came in so it is definitely an above average lawnmower beer.

4.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a light yellow color, almost clear

S - Standard citrus note. Smell hoppy for a wheat beer

T - Taste more like a pale ale than a wheat beer.

M - Good balance of hops and the wheat makes it smooth. Real easy to drink.

O - Perfect beer for the summer

Similar to Sweet Action, though doesn't taste as hoppy to me. I'm glad I can only seem to find it once a month as I'd probably drink it every day. Definitely my favorite in its style.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.