Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,549 | Ratings: 5,772
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

22 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Luminous gold in color. Crystal clear. White two fingered head stays for half of the sample. Nice lacing.

S: Herbal. Citrus fruit. Medicine. Tea or earthy smell.

T: Bitter medicinal flavor from Amirillo hops that present a nice bitter bite. Tea like flavor is followed by a soft blanket of sweet malts. Lemon zest or grapefruit pops in and is finished off by a nice tight crisp bite of wheat. Very earthy finish.

M: Clean and slightly oily. Medium carbonation. Slickness covers the tongue.

D: Bolder than most wheat beers that I have sampled. Very clean and refreshing. A summer picnic brew if ever there was one. Enjoy in the sun.

Bomber courtesy of Viggo via trade thrown in as a nice treat!!
This was a very different, unique and highly quaffable/enjoyable wheat beer. Being a hop head, I found the hop levels to really work well with this brew. Even though bottle conditioned, the clarity of the beer was high. The head was a proper fluffy white. The smell straight from the bottle was what really got me. Fantastic. This beer must kick ass when its fresh and on tap in the summer.
Finish is probably the dryest I've experienced with a wheat due to the hops. Very clean.
I could drink quite a few of these babies in row and it was pleasure to get my hands on one. My first FFF beer and it was a great start.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

I may have found the perfect summer beer. Perfect for me, anyway, and anyone else who is a big fan of hops. It's ingenious, really. A hoppy wheat beer. Why didn't I think of this? I love my IPA's, but they're a little heavy for the summer months, so I tend to move towards wheats/hefes. This beer gives you the benefits of wheat...a little lighter, a little more crisp, but you get to keep the hops! I've taken off points of other beers for not being within style guidelines and think I need to be somewhat consistent or this score would be even higher. The IBU's on this one would certainly exceed the norm, but if you're going to stray from the guidelines do it on the side of hops as far as I'm concerned. Very well done!

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Score! I get to drink a hoppy beer and use my weizen glasses at the same time.

Appearance: This one pours a slightly cloudy light orange with plenty of frothy white head.

Smell: This smells like a more refined batch of Stone 9th Anniversary. Pine hops overpower the soft wheat aroma.

Taste: Again, piney, most likely Amarillo, hops take center stage. There's plenty grapefruit and a bit of tropical fruit in here as well. This isn't IPA hoppy, but it's super-bitter compared any wheat beer I've ever had besides Stone 9th. Wheat is slightly easier to locate in the flavor profile, which makes this refreshing and an oustanding (If it were semi-readily available and cost $3.99) hot summer day thirst quencher.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is light to medium-bodied and as smooth as I can imagine a beer with Amarillo hops ever being.

Drinkability: I like what FFF's is doing in this beer, but Amarillo hops have yet to truly impress me. Gumballhead with mostly Centennials would be tremendous. It's still very refreshing and quaffable.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

Served from a Bomber into a mug.

Apperance: Pours a slightly hazey yellow/orange. Small one finger head with scattered beading. Not much head retention but a nice collar is formed.

Smell: This has the aroma of citrus hops and I will say that I was not expecting that from a wheat beer. A little hay and an ever so gentle suggestion of bananna. Smells pretty fresh.

Taste: The citrus that I smelled have now changed to a very grassy hop flavor. I am also tasting some sort of mineral quality. Very modest malt bill that is only mildly wheaty. This has a bitterness that hangs around like im drinking an IPA. This is interesting but not true to style IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Thinner side of medium and very pleasant. Has an almost powdery or chalky feel on the palate. Leaves an oil slick on the back of my tongue.

Drinkability: This beer has to score very high on drinkability because of its full flavor. This offering is a good beer, just not good for a wheat.

Cheers2Beers

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

poured from a very colorful bomber into a weizen glass with an almost nonexistent white head but loads of carbonation. the color is more pale ale than wheat beer, and I'm a little surprised at the clarity of this "bottle-conditioned" wheat beer. it's a little cloudy but I can still read through it.

the smell is all hops, powerful and citrusy-- simcoe, maybe? flavorwise, again, the hops are just kicking my ass, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. the wheat gives it a nice creamy mouthfeel that's very unusual for a beer this ridiculously hoppy. after a few sips, the wheat/malt come out very very subtly before the hops kick back.

did I mention this beer was hoppy?

lingering bitterness, fruitiness, and wheat texture make for a really nice aftertaste. if it went into my mouth the way it tasted after it left, it'd be all fives for sure.

4.63/5  rDev +10%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color, with a very thick head. The white head fades very slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a crisp citrusy aroma. It smells slightly spicy. Some cloves are present. Also, I smell some banana. It has a very slight sweet malty caramel aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Citrusy up front, with some grassy hop flavor as well. It has a mildly spicy flavor. Banana and cloves are present.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth, leaving a citrus like aftertaste. It is perfectly carbonated.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it is mild. I could probably drink this beer all night.

Overall: Thanks very much to ggaughan for another great beer. I liked this one a lot. I would drink it more often if I could get it.

Poured from a 22oz bottle with no dating info. Was a hazy golden yellow color. Had a small head that quickly dissipated to a constant film. Some lacing and good carb. The aroma is heavy on the hops along with the citrus notes. Heavy on pine. The mouthfeel is good but not as good as other wheats. The taste is also pretty good. Starts off very hoppy with a good bite of bitter but finishes smooth. The only issue I have is that it's not what I what/expect when I get a wheat. I'm expecting some much smoother and obviously less hoppy. As such, this is a great beer but not a great wheat in my book. Still, highly recommend because whatever you call it it's still good (4, RR, T, Y)

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Received in a trade with McAllister (thanks, dude).

This is my first experience with Three Floyds since I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in Michigan. I'm glad I finally got to try one of their brews.

Poured into a pint glass - vibrant yellow like sunshine in a glass with a nice white & foamy head that sticks around for a while. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles are floating to surface as well. Smell is citrusy with a some floral character. Reminds me of summer - light and refreshing. Taste is crisp and refreshing - lemon and bread upfront with a hoppy kick in the back. Very complex and different from any other wheat beer I've tried. Mouthfeel is perfect and emphasizes the strong characteristics of this beer. I could drink this all night long. Perfect for a long summer day. Highly Recommended.

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured out gold with a little fluffy head. Smelled floral and citrusy. Tasted sweet and bitter, fairly hoppy aftertaste, a little malt. Smooth on the tounge, though the aftertaste lingers. Not bad for a Texas winter day (eg 72 and sunny out and I took down the christmas lights), but not one of my favorites.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a tulip glass. No date on the bottle.

A not-so-hazy copper color, with a white fluffy head that is about a finger's worth. Nice lacing left behind as it slowly fades.

Aroma is of light malt and citrusy hops. Flavor is malty with lots of citrus in the finish. The balance here between malt and hops is well done and appreciated. Impressive to say the least.

A light bodied wheat ale that is smooth and very drinkable. This bottle seems fresh and in it's prime.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Received this 22 oz. bottle in trade a couple months back. Poured to a standard pint. 3F's colorful label depicts an angry-looking, cigarette-smoking, motorcycle-riding cat - the comic "hero" Gumballhead.

A: Warm golden, tinted by orange, with a slight cloudy haze (bottle conditioned). About one-finger of creamy white head & decent lace.

S: A sweet and slightly yeasty smell, a notable mash-up of baked bread with ample Amarillo hops.

T: Big juicy hops burst out this wheat beer, both spicy and citrusy flavors joined together. Beneath them is a delicious layer of malty bread, with an abundance of wheat flavors. It's not terribly complex but it is superbly balanced and a really solid wallop of flavors.

M: Has a nice crispness that evolves to become more and more creamy. Medium body with some moderate carbonation. Just enough dryness in the hop bitterness to round off the finish. Lingering flavors of citrus hops and some wheat.

D: Really enjoyable beer, easy to drink. Refreshing, and with a low ABV to boot. Just a very solid choice, highly recommended.

Thanks to DavidEddie for this one.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

I've had this beer a number of times, but have never (obviously) reviewed it. I've only had it from the 22 oz bottle and once on-draft at the Three Floyds brewpub.

The beer pours a light orange and is lightly hazy. There is a pretty plentiful amount of head, but its resiliency is limited.

Aroma is sweet and slightly citrus-y, but not too impressive.

Taste is awesome! This beer is fairly light for an APA, but very lively and citrusy. It is bitter without being overpowering. You could definitely enjoy several pints of this at a sitting and not feel like a Macy's Day parade balloon.

The mouthfeel of this beer is great. Is heavily carbonated with light, small bubbles, and is lighter than many other big-time APAs. A very good beer that is worth picking up whenever you can find it.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a clear bright golden color with a foamy white head that fades into a sticky lace. Nose is fresh pine and ripe grapefruit along with a bit of wheat. The key player in the taste is the zesty citrusy hop bitterness but there is also fruity lemon, some mint, and bubblegum flavors blended in. A bit of pine resin is present in the finish. This is a very refreshing and easy drinking beer. Sure wish this was available locally.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

GBH is a great experimental beer. An over the top hoppy wheat beer? Hmmm...I like it. I don't know how but I do.

Pours a lovely orangeish amber. Head dissipates quickly and the beer leaves slight lace on the glass. Aroma is predominantly hoppy with a definite medicinal quality from the hops, and a little malt sweetness in the background.

Flavor is a nice mesh of bitter and sweet. Again a medicinal quality dominates along with some spicy orange flavor and some honey sweetness in the dry finish. Mouthfeel is slick but a little thin and flat.

Drinkability is insane. I would have no problem drinking another bomber of this and I'm not yet finished with this one. FFF rolled the dice and it paid off. This is a delicious brew.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

I got 2 bombers of this, just because I like the label, and I generally like wheat beer. It was not what I expected.

The appearance was sort of typical to wheat beers, except that it was not cloudy.

Smell was faint, but was sort of citrussy.

Taste was good. Some malt and citrus, with a bitter finish. More ale tasting than I expected.

Mouthfeel was sort of thick and carbonated, but smooth.

Drinkability was good, seeing as I drank both bombers, but I won't be switching over right away.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a bright golden honey with a 1/2" head that leaves rings of lacing after my sips. Smell is big on wheat cracker, bready and nutty malt, some estery fruitiness, and soft amarillo citrus. Taste is pale malted barley and wheat with a slight toastiness in tha overall malt body. I pick up some apple and pear like fruitiness in this along with the amarillos kicking in with the citrus flavors. Finishes dry and bitter. Mouthfeel is not exactly light, but it manages to not be heavy either. Could use a little more bubbles. This is ridiculously drinkable and I wish this were available here in TEXAS.

I had almost written off this whole beer style, but this beer here blew me away. Bad ass.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Cool bomber with a carton cat smoking a cig....he looks like he's had a rough life. Super bubbly two finger head over a hazy and sunny orange brew. Big arcs of sticky lace. Head reduces to a collar of wispy haze after a few minutes.

S - Super pungent dusty lemon scent. Big whiff of grassy and grapefruity hops. Very dirty and dusty smelling...hay and rinds. Very twangy and astringent.

T - Super hoppy grapefruit and mandarin oranges in a can. Spicey and dusty whit-like characteristics blended with the super-hops of an IPA. Some tart fruit flavors also. A very strange combination of styles that works for me! I love the taste of this one.

M - Light bodied with a very tart and dry finish. Long-lasting oily hop bitter aftertaste.

D - Excellent. Just about the most thirst quenching brew I've ever tasted. Even my belches tasted wonderful. Alas, I am not a rich man, and this is one very expensive brew that is not really worth the ticket price IMO.

3.67/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a medium golden color into my tall pilsner glass ... decent-sized head of white fluff. Dissipates rather quickly. Lots of lacing in the inner wall of the glassware. Nose is ... wow ... hoppy. Predominent citrus, spice and floral notes. Not your typical wheat beer scent. Palate is hoppy right up front, with subdued notes of citrus and wheat grains. Slightly sweet in the finish, but dries quickly. Mouthfeel is medium and somewhat acidic. Plenty of bittering hop character throughout. This is a very unusual wheat beer. This is a wheat beer for the IPA lover. Very hoppy, crisp, and clean. Marry a Bell's Oberon with a Bell's Two Hearted ale and you'll find something very similar to this offering from Three Floyds.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Had a pint of this on tap.

I was a little surprised by this beer, but not necessarily in a bad way. I was expecting a lighter, wheat flavor, similar to a hefe-weizen, but what arrived was a beer much more akin to a pale ale.

This beer was a light amber color, with a decent head and good lacing.

Aromas of hops and perhaps a bit of citrus.

Flavor was definitely that of a pale ale, but was nicely balanced with a light, wheat flavor and a distinct hoppiness.

Excellent mouthfeel, and extremely drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a pint glass a dark yellow, almost orange along with half an inch of white head. Minimal lacing on the glass. I literally smelled the citrus and pine from the hops the second my bottle opener cracked the seal (and the bottle was a good 12 inches from my nose), The first taste is lemon then orange followed by grapefruit and malt. I swear I caught the slightest hint of peppermint in the finish as well as a good dose of resinous pine. Medium bodied with above average carbonation and a light oily coating on the tongue. Delicious. I always have this on hand in the warmer months and reward myself with a bottle every few weeks. It is quite a unique wheat beer and one that I would love to drink on a regular basis if it were not for the price. Worth seeking out.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

This ale poured a light golden amber with a thin creamy head, with nice lacings. Nose is caramel, some wheat and nuttiness, with big grapefruit and piney hoppiness. The taste is one hoppy wheat beer, with more on the hops than the wheat. Good mouthfeel, well carbonated light bodied beer.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours out very clear straw yellow to amber with a nice two fingers of white suds. Not a lot of lacing here.
Smell is citrusy and piney. Lots of pine. Grapefruit and caramel and hops are the abundant aroma here.
Taste is clean and the pine is just wonderful here. Three Floyds has the best hops I have ever tasted/smelled. Grapefruit with a sweet sugary aftertaste makes this one of the best wheat beers in the world. I had to order these beers from Sam's Wine and Spirits in Chicago. Beer cost $60 the shipping was $45.
Worth it though cause these hops are ruling me now.
t

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Grabbed two bombers of this, so it better be good. Splitting the first one with Petey Pablo.

Appearance: (hmm... cat's smoke?) Pours a tawny yellow, almost orange colour. White head quickly diminishes, shows signs of disappearing.

Smell: Overtone of yeast, citrus, lemon and orange rinds.

Taste: In a word, different. Blasts your pallet with citrus hops. Orange zest, some lemon peels. Good herbal spices. Rounded out with a touch of biscuit malts and a touch of pine.

Mouthfeel: Strong level of carbonation enhanced by the harsh level of hops. Oily slickness from the hops at the end, doesn't linger much.

Drinkability and notes: Only had half the bomber, but I could of had it all. A nice beer that probably goes better in the summer months with its low alcohol level and refreshing character.

4.04/5  rDev -4%

Shared a bomber with jslot, paired it with some refried beans cause i was hungry like that
A: Hazy yellow color with a small white head.
S: Smells alot like lemonade, with some spices in the background.
T: Spicy like a cat. Its pretty good. Lemony too.
all the other stuff is pretty good

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.