Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,541 | Ratings: 5,730
4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a flute glass.

Appearance - Pours a golden straw color with a hint of orange. The head is about two fingers thick and white at pour and dissipates at a moderate rate, settling at a thin and patchy layer of lace on top of the beer. Excellent speckled head is left as you drink it down.

Smell - Has that wondeful Dreadnaught IPA-esque hop character. Quite fruity and very herbal. Some moderate sweetness. Citrus and floral also are strong scents on the nose. Very slight peppery spiciness way in the background. Very light wheaty aromas, but can't pick up on any significant malt smells. Very little alcohol presence.

Taste - Opens with the same hop character in the taste as described above. Also paired with this is a nice and quite rich wheat character, with some bready malts even behind that flavor. Fading hoppy character and a mild wheat/malt presence for the finish. Aftertaste has some strong earthy flavors.

Mouthfeel - Nice medium-body with good smoothness and a great level of carbonation. A little bit of bite when it first enters your mouth, but it calms down quickly. Also, as the beer warms the carbonation becomes tamer.

Drinkability - Quite refreshing, but has a strong hoppy character. The carbonation is very good and helps with the drinkability.

I do love that some of the Dreadnaught hop flavors (exclusively from the Armarillo hops?) are in here. Could improve by a little bit more action toward the finish. A very good beer though, and hoppy for the style. Recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Bomber bottle with Gumballhead himself on the labe. Strange, I always pictured him as a Schlitz old-school sort of cat. Be that as it may. Pours bright gold, slightly cloudy, chance of evening showers, white clouds on the horizon of the beer which turn cirrus quickly. Aroma of lemon/grapefruit/tangerine citrus hops and clover honey, with underlying wheat grain aromas coming through.

VERY similar in character to Southern Tier Hop Sun, but bigger in flavor. Starts with a perfectly balanced wheat/hop/sweet malt attack - citrus with a firm bitterness, that particularly Amarillo hop bite on the sides of the tongue, a tea-with-honey maltiness in the middle... nice. Finishes with a refeshing lemony-honey cleanness. Medium, appropriate mouthfeel, and VERY drinkable.

Thanks to BA NucularGeorge for the bottle. Once again, f'n george!!!

4.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured a 22oz bomber into a tall boy. The minute I took the first whiff I knew I was going to love this one. Nice golden haze with an inch of white head. Lacing follows all the way to the last sip. Hoppy citrus at the nose. Nice hop bittnerness rounded out with smooth citrus notes. Superb mouthfeel with a crisp, refreshing citrus finish. This is a fantastic beer. The best way to sum this up is a Corona commercial. A perfect summertime beer with all the refreshment one could ask for. No lime needed here folks. Three Floyd's does it again. For me this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted. I probably love it so much because of the APA characteristics it has. If you didn't see wheat written on the bottle you would have no idea it was one. If you are a big fan of the wheat taste you may not be too impressed here. Glad I have a nice stash of these to enjoy over the winter. Very expensive for me though. The 22oz bombers were $5.99 each. Would I buy again? Without question....yes!

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into a nice deep golden colored body. A two inch fluffy white head retained a few minutes. Tons of small carbonation bubbling rapidly to the top. Nice lacing clumps.

A nice strong hops aroma was very welcome without being overpowering to the nose. A weak citrus aroma of light lemons was faintly noticable in the finish of the first whiff. Nothing more complex to note, but still an appealing aroma.

A nice taste of hops was dominant in the first sip. Wheat flavor was a little underplayed to the hops flavor, but very tasty. A second sip had a nice bitter lemon undertone, and no loss in the hops burst. A very nice blend of the flavors that make a nice summer beer.

Quite nice feel. A slightly thicker then normal body for the style. Despite the carbonation seen rising, there was only an average kick on the tongue.

A very nice offering. A great beer to enjoy on a summer day. Would go great with a nice chicken ceaser salad. This is a nice must try for anyone who likes hops or wheat, and even better if you are a fan of both.

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Got this one in a trade with Mynie, thanks bro. Drank this one in a mini gathering session with fellow BAs chonyr and raider. Not much emphasis on wheat, best considered a mild wheat IPA?

Appearance
This ale poured a light golden amber with a thin creamy head. Nice this lacings present.

Aroma
Caramel, some wheat and some wheat nuttiness, with big grapefruit and piney hoppiness.

Taste
This is one hoppy wheat beer, emphasis definately more on the hops than the wheat. The wheat is present, as well as some sweeter caramel like maltiness, but the dominating flavours are the grapefruit and piney hops. Its unfortunate the wheat didnt take more of a role in this beer, as i really enjoy a wheaty wheat beer, perhaps growing up on a wheat farm in Saskatchewan has something to do with my opinions...

Mouthfeel
Good mouthfeel in this well carbonated light bodied beer, although balanced much more towards the hops than the wheat, with a big hop fullness.

Drinkability
This would make a great session brew for someone looking for big hops. It was a refreshing brew that would go great on a hot summer night. Would also be a great beer to introduce one to hoppier styles. Glad i tried this one, but wont be looking for this one to satisfy my cravings for a good wheat beer, and ill probably stick to Alpha King or IPAs when i have a hankering for hoppy beer.

For a good wheat beer thats full of wheat flavour and true wheat gumminess i will stick to Capital Island Wheat, its like chewing on wheat from a bottle.

3.94/5  rDev -6.4%

Sort of hard to call this a wheat.
Pours a clear orange/yellow with a smallish white head that melted too fast for me.
Aroma is definately amarillo hops right off the bat. After you get used to that, you will notice a cracker and biscuit aroma.
Taste is sharp citrus amarillo but then spicy and peppery wheat with a cracker-like dry finish.
Aftertaste is dry crackers and light citrus hop.
This is incredibly flavorful for a wheat beer.
All wheats are supposed to be quenching....this one definately is.
But it also fills the wants and needs of the hophead.
Loved it.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Gumballhead pours a dirty bright yellow, a very pasty thin white swirling head. The nose is an on/off combo of faint hops, fresh fruit, herbs and definitive citrus-like aromas, more noticeable towards the middle-to-end of this beverage. The initial taste could confuse some of the most experienced beer lovers--a hop-infused wheaty biscuity blend. There is a fair amount of carbonation, in fact a bit over-powering at times. Zesty, creamy and hoppy; each sip and drink develops a sort of a different blend of flavorings, am I enjoying a hop-infused-wheat beer here? Yes. Lemon peels, orange juice and table crackers noted in the body. With 3-Floyds, it's not a surprise that they've "hopped up" another brew, but this AP Wheat Ale tops em' all--this is a gem, smooth and slick and a winner in my book.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Nice clean, clear golden in color. Foamy head left some lacing.

Smell: At first I was picky up the aroma that reminds me of a great IPA, but then I was able to pick up the wheat a bit.

Taste: As an IPA lover, this beer made me super happy. It came with all the hops I could have wanted and finished like a wheat beer. I'm typically not a huge fan of the wheat taste in a brew but the amount of citrusy and piney hops in this brew compliment the wheat very well. I dig it.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, and I'm sure easy to session.

Overall this has been a great drinking experience, much better than I had thought as a not so big fan of wheat beers. I'd buy it again for sure.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

22 oz bomber poured into a Paulaner weisbier glass.

Appearance: Pours clear and sunshine gold with a tightly foamed 3" white head that slowly dissipates. Thick, sticky lacing lines the glass as the beer disappears. Streams of carbonated bubbles race from bottom to the top of the glass.

Smell: Wow ! Big, juicy, citrusy, pieny hops explode out of the glass. Slightly fruity with hints of golden/amber fruits, apricots or peaches come to mind. Herbal and grassy aromas are present as well.

Taste: Starts with a big hop kick, citrusy and piney hops dominate. The middle mellows out the hops with fruity sweet malt and wheat. Finishes with a bang, as the hops show their head again. Hops and wheat linger long on the tongue. Fantastic !

Mouthfeel: Somewhat creamy and crisp at the same time. Smooth and ever so drinkable. Ample carbonation.

Final Notes: What a fantastic beer. Extremely easy to drink with a ton of flavor to boot. Hoppy as can be with a really nice wheat profile thrown in to balance things out. A hopheads wheat. A great session beer at 4.8 % abv. Gumballhead has been a favorite of mine for sometime. Don't know why it took me so long to review. I wish 3 Floyds would make this a year long offering. I highly recommend Gumballhead. What a true session beer is all about. Seek and thoroughly enjoy.

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured out of a bomber, Gumballhead is a hazy orange with a moderate head that diminishes to a small, but even amount of lacing.

The smell of this beer, not surprising from 3F’s, is hitting me from a good foot away! Whoa, hops! Closer in, the pine & citrus is joined by the wheat-y whiffs I would expect from a summer beer & even a slight (but not bad) medicinal scent. Any fear arising from the aforementioned odor is offset by light strawberry notes. I’m rather excited to taste it.

It’s all there. Hops: check. Wheat: check. Even some maltiness (albeit, faint) which is not always a 3F’s strength. Of course there’s citrus peel which really develops in the aftertaste, a nice plus.

I am slightly disappointed in the lack of carbonation as the tingling on my tongue seems to be stemming entirely from the bitterness of the hops & not the bubbles. A little too smooth for the genre.

In all, I still find Gumballhead to be another pleasing offering from our boys in Munster & it’s wonderful to see a summer beer focusing on something other than the standard takes on the weizen or kölsch styles. A great change of pace, I’m just sad that summer is at an end & this is my last chance to enjoy it until next year.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Gumballhead pours a straw color with a white head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. The aroma has a citrus note. The flavor is really nice, citrus is dominant. Wheat definitely gives its flavor to this beer as well. Excellent American wheat beer. Highly recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Into a tall weizen glass, pours a bubbly and slightly hazy bright gold, with a big ole starting head that shrink to a thin head, stringing lacing, quite lovely. Aroma is noticably hoppy, very floral and light. If I didn't know better I"d mistake it for an IPA. Oh, and oops there is some wheatness up in there too. I really like it, a whole lot, but doesn't get top notch marks for being too un-wheat like.

Taste is much like the nose, only even better. The hops are floral, a bit fruity and a little citric and clearly take center stage over the nicely wheaty malt blend, and while it seems at first overly hoppy, this is a very nicely balanced wheat.

This might be the most drinkable beer I've ever laid my hands on. High scores across the board, nice warm feeling and yet not even slightly buzzing after a 22oz'er.... Is it possible to get this in the keg? I want one, for my wedding. Not even kidding. Not in the slightest, this is so drinkable I'm almost wishing I live in Indiana. Almost.

Photo of

22oz. bottle. Poured a clear light gold color, with a moderate white head. Aroma was citrus and flowers, faint honey, and a grape/wine note near the end? Flavor was quite mild, mainly hops, but balanced with citrus and wheat very well. Body was light and effervescent, highly carbonated and very easy to drink. A very enjoyable beer, probably my favorite wheat beer out there. I hope 3F continues to distribute in MD.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Nlmartin for the beer!!!

This pours with a crisp golden color that is tantalizing to look at. Head is about an inch thick. Nice bit of lacing.

Nose is a strange version of grapefruit. One that is more mild than what we find in most IPA's. I also get a bit of grain and pine. The nose rocks.

I usually dont find IPA's refreshing and even though this Wheat Ale shares many characteristics with IPA's I find it very refreshing. There's some pine, grapefruit, maltiness and other citrus flavors. This is really a winner.

Mouth is immense. Thick and creamy.

I would buy this again and again if I could. If I wanted a refreshing beer this would fit the bill. If I wanted a hoppy beer this would do the job.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a bottle into a chalice.

A - Pours a non-filtered orangish color with a small head that disipates rather quickly. Looks a little sticky, which I like.

S - Grassy hops start this thing off initially covering a sweet graininess. Bitter fruits are very apparent.

T - Sweeter than the nose would indicate. The wheat does interesting things with this ale. I does start a little bit bitter .. from the hops I'm guessing, but it transitions into a very sweet flavor that was unexpected. Not overly complex in the malt profile, but very unique.

M - Medium bodied with a nice round mouth. Something I wouldn't expect from a low abv beer.

D - Very easy drinker. I could easily have a few of these in an evening.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

A- 1" white head. Golden clear color. Thin lacing.
S- Light (floral and citrus) hops, malts, and maybe a bit of fruit.
T- Some light wheat taste and some floral taste. Maybe a hint of fruit also. Light on malts and one other flavor I can't put my finger on.
M-Medium body with medium carbonation. Crisp, bit sticky/chewy but clean.
D- Very good! This is an excellent brew. Goes down very easy and could drink a lot of this especially with it's low ABV. Would be perfect on a very hot summer day.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Since we can't get TF beers in KC, I've been left to wonder what the hype was all about with this beer. I mean, sure, TF makes good beers, but this is an American wheat, for cryin' out loud. How could it be anything spectacular? So when I finally got a chance to try it at the Map Room in Chicago, I went for it. Man am I glad I did.

The beer poured a surprisingly clear brassy color, with a good, substantial white head. Other than the clarity, nothing out of the ordinary so far for an American wheat.

The aroma,though... wow. This IS out of the ordinary! Very hoppy, with a good deal of citrus. There are still some phenolics apparently sneaking through. I may be imagining things, as I thought they used a standard ale yeast for this, not a hefe yeast. Either way, the smell is very hoppy, and very complex.

The taste is also very unique. There's the "wheatiness" (for lack of a more descriptive word) that gives it a good grany flavor, yet the hoppiness is what takes center stage here. Again, not surprising for a TF beer, but quite so for a wheat, a style usually very bland. Again, what eems to be some clove phenolics appears. I can't quite pick it up enough to determine if it's real or imagined, but I'd swear it's there. Not the banana of a German hefe, but still something that hints at a more complex yeast that any old standard ale yeast. All in all it makes for an interesting and quite good flavor.

The mouthfeel is just past thinnish. That's a good thing for this style. It's a summer type beer, so you want it thinner and more refreshing, not heavy and filling. Just enough body.

Overall, I was really pleasantly surprised by this brew. It's still a wheat, but it's been bastardized and morphed into something so much more. Very much worth the effort to try it, and one I'd recommend to anyone who is a wheat fan, as well as anyone who thinks American wheats have to suck by their very nature.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

I got to try this out one night on tap, but the others I tried before ruined my palate. Now that I've had a 22 oz. bomber, I can say this is one fo the best wheat or pale ale, let alone wheat pale ale. Very very easy to consume. Nice balance of malts and hops, just one great beer to consume . . . over and over.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Bomber from Bowling Green. Pours a pretty crystal clear dark gold with nice lively carbonation. Medium white head recedes quickly and leaves some nice lacing on the surface. Aroma is citrusy and herbal hops and sweetness. Taste is sweet grapefruit from the combination of the citrusy hops and sweet malt and wheat. Nice clean lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is smooth and nicely carbonated. Quite drinkable. Very good beer and very unique.

What a score... thanks to the EPseja for the rare opportunity to get as close to the tap as possible here in NJ!

From a growler, served in a pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear gold, supporting a two-finger head sustaining well on the relatively light-bodied look of the beer.

Smell- Beautiful fresh Amarillo hops, exhibiting the wonderful aromas of sweet, honeyed grapefruit.

Taste- A good burst of honeyed grapefruit first, then it mellows out with a tangy bitterness in a smooth transition.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Easy and smooth, great for this style. I do prefer the bottled version over the draft, I think the bottle conditioning has a lot to do with the subtle complexities that really make this beer a standout.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Out of 22oz bomber came a goldent brew topped with one finger, creamy, but not very stiff, head, the deposited lacing on the side of the pint glass for the duration of its consumption.

Fragrant aroma of malt and hops, lemon and orange, some floral and mineral notes, and touch of sugar.

The flavor offered vibrant citrus, subtle yeast and malts, a slight spice, and a judicious and balanced use of hops.

The mouthfeel is light and rather clean, yet complex with nice movement accross the palate. The balance presence of hops add just a touch of bitterness to round it out, before moving into a semi-sweet finish.

Rates very on on drinkability. It has great flavor and complexity, yet remains gracefully balanced.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

I've been wanting to try some Three Floyds for a long time and this was one of the most intriguing I've heard of. Thankfully, this fine summer beer was easy to find in Chicago - so I made the most of it there and even brought some home.

Gumballhead is deescibed by the brewers as, "a highly dry hopped American wheat." It has an interesting color, a lot lighter than what I was expecting - but more accurate to what a wheat looks like. The aroma was sweet, a bit lemony with a dose of hops. The tastes follows that but with a wheat balanced finish.

It's a very unique taste and is quite delicious. The sweetness is different but very welcome. I sure wish I could get this in LA.

3.46/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a pint glass at the brewpub with a mildly cloudy body, orangish deliciousness floated about. The nose was slightly floral, but very hoppy. A good amount of typical wheat smell, which I admit I don't care for too much, but the hops masked the smells I usually don't like in a wheat. Amarillo hop bite on top of a subtle, fruity beer was good, the hops stayed in my mouth to prevent that overly fruity aftertaste in most wheats. Fascinating, a wheat I was able to finish!

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Golden slightly seethrough with quater inche head

S- A strong floral smell with a very crisp note

T- Hoppy yet not to much the wheat sstill comes through giving a very nice blend

M- Very active

D- Goes down well for being so hoppy the 22oz if enough for one sitting IMHO.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A golden honey-colored body, topped by a prodigious white head. A candy-like sweet smell really reminds you of gumballs. Go figure! The taste is amazingly different than many IPAs. A citrus/orange/tangerine flavour greets you before the sweetness of the malt hits you. Then a nice bittering hop bite comes through at the end of the swallow. A really interesting beer. Mouthfeel is medium, with low carbonation. Drinkability is fantastic.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.