Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

3.7

Ratings: 5,909 |  Reviews: 1,568
4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - great yellow color with a big white head and sticky lacing
Smell - citrus hop smell
Taste - great citrus taste mildly bitter, perfect for a wheat pale session
Feel - creamy very slight fizz with a medium body
Overll - great session wheat pale ale! Perfect for summer time!

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was gifted one of these about a years ago and I remember enjoying it immensely. I've kept an eye out for it but have yet to see it on the shelf. That is, until today, when I spotted a lone sixer sitting behind a couple packs of "Pride & Joy." Without hesitation I snatched it up. It's super fresh bottled less than two weeks ago...The artwork is sick...Looking forward to this one!

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow. Lots of carbonation, the fizzy bubbles persist. The head, is nearly snow white. unfortunately the head is nearly non existent and I don't get any lacing.

Smell: Being called gumballhead, I anticipated a hefe type sweet banana smell, with pronounced buble gum or candy esque smells. But I don't really get anything of the sort. Taking a whiff, it smells more like a ipa/apa. Juicy, citrusy, hoppy, with maybe a touch of spice. I wanted to smell bubblegum. But for what it's worth, it smells very good! It is rather faint however, the intensity level could have been raised a few notches.

Taste: Yep, tastes like an ipa/apa. I taste hops! Boatloads of them. Now I know what Amarillo hops taste like specifically. A hop bomb of a wheat beer. Not overly bitter. It does pack a little punch up front, but is smooth and refreshing on the back-end. The initial hop bite would lead me to guess the abv a percentage point or so higher than it is (5.6%) Still, this beer is extremely drinkable and a good choice to session with. Whatever wheat profile this beer has follows the hop intensity, proving the yang to the yin, the character mellows during part two. I do feel like the taste does lack a bit of complexity, which may seem a contradiction, considering I just pointed out the changing, two part nature of the taste profile. Hoppy, slightly bitter, grassy, a bit of spice, dry, fruity, citrus, grapefruit, lemon, i guess wheat? In short, this beer tastes satisfying.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat "oily," light to medium light, crisp and refreshing with a lot of bubbly carbonation, which I really dig with this beer. I'm almost reminded of a lager in the most endearing of ways. It makes me think "summertime." Ballgames, bbq, beaches, backyards, music fests, this beer says "session-able and intense.'

Overall: I am simultaneously impressed and ever so slightly let down. I think this beer is undoubtedly better than "good." I'm surprised the bros only gave it a 83. This beer is very good; great. arguably outstanding. TBH, i am slightly put off by these beers that seemed destined to hype from incarnation. Idk if FFF just doesn't have the resources meet their demand. It just sort of irritates me where breweries produce such a low volume of product so they can artificially jack up the price and the hype. This marketing strategy is nothing new or unique to this industry. My point is, if you can brew good shit, brew that shit for all to enjoy! Stop hoarding that shit like a blood diamond yo!
Anyway Gumballhead by Three Floyds. Very good, comes highly recommended by me. If you find yourself in the situation where you are able to procure, procure that shieet! You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it! Did I mention the sick artwork?

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.2 out of 5 with 5,909 ratings