Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

3.7

Ratings: 5,871 |  Reviews: 1,565

2.68/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Living in PA, I haven't had the chance to try 3F products, so on a recent trip to Chicago I was psyched to finally get the chance. Unfortunately, Gumballhead turned out to be a major disappointment.

It looked fine, but after that, things went downhill. I've rarely encountered such a well-regarded beer with so little aroma or flavor. Frankly, this reminded me more of dishwater than beer. There was a subtle hint of grassiness and a little lemon on the palate, but there was absolutely none of the fabled hop character,. at least that I could detect.

I'd say I had a bad bottle, but this was on tap at a busy restaurant with a beer menu that included only 3 draughts and 3 bottles, so I can't imagine it had been sitting for any extended period of time.

All in all, a bland, boring disappointment of a beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growler filled at Cont. Liquors Ashland, Ky. I usually get awesome fills here, but today I was running short on time and the employee present really isn't experienced enough at this, so we will see. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - bright golden with some yellowish tones to it. Head was nice to start but quickly vanished into a small ring of white lace. This small ring left minimal if no stick to the glass.

S - lemony, fruity and somewhat floral hop aroma. Wheat character is faint with a pretty solid FFF style yeast aroma. Peach and marmalade? Maybe as I can hint the peach.

T - more odd ball fruitiness which is refreshing with a big note of lemon with softer notes of a somewhat sour peach. Flavor is slightly sweet though the malt never really gets a firm grip on anything as the hops take over middle to back yet the wheat and yeast do a nice job of keeping the bitterness crisp in the finish. This is definitely a wheat ale inspired by Amarillo hops and has a unique factor going on. Clean and crisp finish.

M - medium bodied and carries a good thickness to it. It's just what you get with a FFF brew. Great ale for summer

O - I've had this from a bottle and this review was taken off the 2nd time I had it from a growler poured fresh. I have to say this pour does not do this ale justice and ill have to track down a few bottles to get the review across. I'm not going to sit here and pound this ale as if I didn't enjoy it nor am I going to rip the girl that did the fill. But I'm not going to pretend like I loved it either bc its one of my go to breweries. This Is a very good pale wheat ale and one of the best. The problem is its a subpar style. It has all the right qualities to being the best pale wheat ale in the world as I'm sure a bottled version or a proper fill would have shined. I'm sure ill re-review this here soon with better results.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Sweet but never too hoppy, Gumball head is a great beer for those who want something full-bodied but don't want too be overwhelmed by hops. It's lighter in color and finishes well. Great on draught and very drinkable. The cool character on the tapper is a nice touch as well.

3.19/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

We landed this beer in a trade. Thanks to my boy Scott for living close to the brewery! If I miss anything from Indiana, it's the brewing companies we had access to. From Upload in the Indianapolis area, to Three Floyds near Chicago, Indiana is filled with some great breweries. This is our last beer from Three Floyds… sad. I do have two more bottles in the fridge thanks to Scott. I hope he is reading… this blog post pretty much makes him famous!

This beer is one of their more popular offerings, and is on tap pretty much everywhere in the Hoosier state. It is a good example of the style the way the style was supposed to be enjoyed. It's loaded with fruit and has a nice spicy finish. This is a great beer. I say that and I pretty much hate wheat beers. If you are ever in the Circle City, order a Gumballhead. You're welcome!

In the Glass: This looks like a typical wheat beer. It does have more carbonation than I remember. Oh, and the head was REALLY thick on this. I blame the travel this bottle had from Indiana. Beer trading has become so fun for us, I sometimes can't control myself. I will take a thick head over a spilt beer. Not much lace here, but the head, as it dwindles, remains thick and somewhat sticky. I could smell this as I was pouring it… let's drink!

Nose: Well, we will smell this first. It does smell like a wheat beer, but there is a subtle spiciness toward the finish. Spice if what I remember about this beer. The last time I had this beer was at Scotty's Brewhouse in Indianapolis. I miss their wings. Man they had good wings. The BBQ are the BOMB! Anyway, back to the beer.

Flavor: I don't like wheat beers, but I would drink this in a heartbeat. It has a nice fruity flavor with a drying finish leading to an almost cracked pepper finish. This does get better as it heats up, but nothing worth waiting for. The low ABV also helps this beer as I could drink a ton of this before I even realized it. Another great lawnmower beer.

Mouthfeel: I do think this beer was affected by travel, but not a bad thing. There are WAY too many bubbles going on here, but as it heats up and as it sits in the glass, the bubbles are backing down. Not much in terms of mouthfeel. Just a nice, cold, wet wheat beer. I would call this more pale than wheat, though. The hops are obvious. I would like to see a Stone Brewing Company take on this beer. They sure do love their hops in California.

Aftertaste: The hops really come out in the finish. They use Amarillo hops in this beer, but that doesn't mean much to me. I should take a class on hops so I know the main differences. I am sure that would help me in my journey to becoming a Certified Cicerone. Anyway, the beer is easy to drink and leaves a much better finish than most wheat beers. Bless you, hops!

I am going to miss you, Three Floyds. Or is it 3 Floyds? If you are ever in Chicago, the brewing company is only 20 minutes outside of the city. It is WELL worth your time. The brewery is small, located in an industrial park, and you would never know a place like this could produce such great beer… but they are worth it. Oh, and Dark Lord. The beer is good, but Dark Lord Day is HUGE. We haven't been, but ask anyone that knows craft beer. I am sure he or she has heard of Dark Lord and/or Dark Lord Day.

Cheers, people!

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.2 out of 5 with 5,871 ratings