Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Ratings: 5,830 |  Reviews: 1,559
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Momar42 for the bottle, and double thanks for providing me with my first Three Floyds beer!! About 6 oz poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden yellow color with nice clarity - something I'm not used to in wheat ales. The head is a one finger eggshell shade with some nice lacing down the glass.

S: Fairly tropical, with that distinctive Amarillo hop aroma. Tea leaves, mango, papaya, and grapefruit all come across, but perhaps not quite as vividly as I hoped. Still, it smells like it will be up my alley...

T: Much like the aroma, it's hoppy; but with the focus on tropical fruits, rather than pine/herbal notes. It's very citrusy to start (like I expect out of a good IPA), but the wheat that comes through in the mid-taste smooths things out like a baws. What catches me off guard is the subtle complexity featured, transitioning from slightly sweet to slightly bitter in different stages (and this isn't even a full bottle!) Not quite as drinkable as expected, but surprisingly joyous to savor.

M: Slightly heavy in its texture, which is my only real beef here. It's dry, crisp, and drinkable, which is what I want out of my hoppy beers, with the strong carbonation I expect out of a wheat beer.

O: I normally don't like plain wheat ales, unless they're hoppy. This fits said criteria nicely, so it's plain to see that I enjoy this a whole lot. This was my first from FFF, and needless to say, it lived up to the hype for me. I would drink the shit out of this in hot weather - if only I didn't live in Maryland...

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.8/5  rDev +14%

On tap at Crazy Horse

Pours hazy straw with a finger of white soapy head.

Smells like a cross between wheat and hops. Bright citrus hops especially grapefruit along with a little of that "wheaty" aroma.

Taste is very similar to the aroma. Lots of citrusy hops up front and finishes with good grapefruit bitterness.

Creamy mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Retains some body despite the low ABV.

The gold standard for this style. Deliciousy hoppy yet still light and drinkable. I just wish I could find it in bottles more often.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.