3 Monts Amber Ale On Lees | Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre

Added by frank4sail on 08-22-2002

750ml
$8.99
Sam's Marcey

3 Monts Grande Reserve pours a surprisingly clear deep golden with stream after stream of moderate sized carbonation bubble rising to the surface. A standard pour brought about a hefty, three fingers worth of microbubbled bright white head. The head eventually settled at a finger and left incredible puffy drink lines on its way down the glass. This beer looks appetizing to say the least.

Although the aroma is light it has an incredible depth. A hint of freshly husked grains is the first thing to greet my nose, this combines with a pale malty sweetness that's very candy like. The yeast brings about an incredible complexity laden with peaches, green apple, chardonnay and a slight earthy mustiness. The aroma of this beer just draws me right in, making me want a drink immediately.

The flavor follows the aroma closely. Very vinous with the mustiness coming through faintly throughout the entire drink. Mild fresh graininess mixes it up with the sweet pale maltiness. The grape character leads the way in the fruit department but the green apple and peach make solid appearances. This is a very well put together beer with a great depth of flavor.

The mouthfeel on this beer is excellent! The carbonation makes the body light and airy all the while being refreshing. There's a nice crispness and slight drying on the finish.

The light, airy body makes this beer incredibly easy to put away. I could see myself drinking this until the alcohol caught up with me. An incredible drinkability when the abv is taken into consideration.

I loved 3 Monts when I had it and couldn't find 3 Monts Grande Reserve for a long time now. Luckily I came across a few bottles and it's just as good as the original which is really saying something. The two beers I've had from this brewery leave me wanting more.

Reviewed: 6/22/08

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Dark orange with a nice head of off-white foam that leaves decent lacing. Fresh raw, floral, leafy, green, oily, acidic hops are the main aroma note. I also get white pepper and some funky yeast notes as well. Taste is spicy with yeasty pepper notes and hops. Caramel and doughy bready malts take hold in the middle before the dry spicy hoppy finish blows away your buds. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little brash, but spot-on. Drinkability remains intelligently beautiful. Another marvelous creation from these French farm house masters!

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to jpm30 for this beer.

A: Dull, antiqued copper with some chill haze to it. Head is powerful and frothy, leaving lots of lacing and sporadic piles of foam after ever sip.

S: Thyme, rose pedals, orange blossom, dark honey with the foundation of the smell being cider.

T: Starts out stark and mineralstic with a shimmer of old yeast. Cardoman, vanilla and perhaps some clove move in and begin to fill the mouth with flavor. Nice beer, very herbal…tastes almost homeopathic. Quality spices flicker at the tip of the tongue, offering only a hint of cinnamon, nutmeg and coriander with attractive low level vanilla continuing through the entire beer. Finishes a bit boozy but still attractive.

M: Medium body with a quality viscosity

D: I really liked this beer. Had an ultrafine balance that only comes from superb craftsmanship. You don’t make a beer this delicate on dumb luck. Highly recommended.

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

This is my first review, so it is apropos that this is the first beer that began to open my mind to craft beers.

This beer is one of the selections at a local indian restaurant (which, incidentally, does not have a liquor license). I remember thinking "wow, this is a $12 beer" (it is only $9 at the store for a 22oz).

I love this beer - it is very drinkable and has a lot of flavor.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

I got this bottle in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

It's a 750ML bottle with a gold wrap and cork and single metal bar that holds the cork in. I've never come across this before. Ok, I figured it out. ;^) The cork has a 12-18 on it, what ever that means, and I pulled it out with my fingers without too much trouble.

It pours about a 1" of light golden liquid and the rest is foam. Hehehe...this is going to be an adventure! As the head slowly recedes, I'm seeing a lot of sticky lacing. Good so far. A slow, careful refill reveals more of the appearance characteristics. It's a clear amber gold with lots of tiny bubbles.

The smell is sweetish with strong notes of caramel malt, some earth, and lots of fruity tones. And when I say strong, I should say complex as the overall fragrance is on the mild side. Very good smeller though.

The taste is also sweetish. Some caramel but more of a candy sugar sweetness, and some earthy husky flavour, some graininess, with some nice citric tones that works well to subdue some of the sweetness, not allowing it to get out of hand. And....when I swish the ale in my mouth, I get a touch of pepper and some fruit. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is just a notch below medium and works well with the medium carbonation. The alcohol is not present at all as I get no warming...well..not at first. It does look like it's one of those sneak up on you brews after you're deep in the session but I don't have a problem with that as I'm not going anywhere tonight. Ahhh...so silky smooth and so damn tasty. There's a certain majesty I feel sipping on this Grand Reserve Special Ale. One mighty fine brew.

Thanks again Joe for another real treat!

57f
the color of faded sugar maples in late autumn. Off orange.
sticky, fine white froth.
I smell the alcohol turning quickly to spice. And it's like walking through a hay barn.
taste the straw, the hay; dry grasses, and greener forage. Green grapes. Orange notes. Light and balanced. Very subtle malting to my taste, a touch of sweet. There's a nip of a hop profile. Very refreshing, and drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a light amber color with lots of haze and a moderate head that leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. Spicy and lemony Belgian aroma. Nice. The flavor is quite grainy but also has a slight hop presence and a very light, but fulfilling body. Drinkability is dangerously good on this one.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

This beer was left at my house a long time ago, and its about time to drnk it. The beer pous a hazy, paly golden color with a 3 finger head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is rather nice. There is a zesty lemony citrusy character along with a spicey belgian type character, almost a spicey hop quality. The flavor is really nice. It gives me a floral, flowery essence, with a slightly grainey character behind it. This is a hint of wood in there as well, slighty tanninish. The feel is moderate to thick, with a kight carb. Overall, a rather nice beer. I will definately look for this in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

i usually revisit this one every fall, but just really had a craving for it, so I opened one up on this hot summer night. Benchmark for what I consider strong biere de guarde. Amber with an off-white head that holds very well and leaves some lace as it goes. nose is malt, lime and honey (to me) followed by spice and grain and sweet grain and spicy grain and must and barn and a hint of rum soaked raisins and of course the sylvestre signature relatively hoppy euro-hoppiness... taste is complex and well balanced and i'm really seeing the similarity to its belgian counterparts. it's almost like a semi-sweet, darker, roastier and spicier saison. medium body with a nice slight pricklyness and dry, warming sensation in the finish. very well done. extra drinkability points for it's food pairing capabilities. great reference point for learning about the style.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

Here's an interesting French offering. My first biere de garde, 3 Monts proved to be a choice accompaniment to a turkey dinner. Pours a golden color with a thick, creamy white head that makes its presence known. Nice residue of lace all the way down the glass. Smell is big on earthy tones -- fresh cut grass, hops, etc. Exhibits a somewhat sour, yet balanced taste and a clean, prickly mouthfeel. Fairly easy to drink, this goes great with food. A truly unique brew.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%

A luscious ale. (And it gets better as it warms.)

So you are not alarmed with my ecstasy, the Amber on Lees that I just Had is only 8.5% Alc/Vol. (I believe this is the same brew added to BA in 2002 because 10% would lead from ecstasy to.... something more like uncontrolled ecstasy... and that would be unprofessional.)

Why was this bottle so great? Defying that answer, the store appeared to have stuck a March 2015 label on it. With transit, this beer is 30 months in the States and 6 months from Belgium. So, I'm drinking a 3 year old Biere de Garde and 3 years is well past the style's prime. The second hypothetical explanation of this great ale experience is that I am a malt-head and 3 years is the right amount of time for a brewer schooled in pleasing malt-heads to actually succeed. This is the more likely explanation and I will take it.

Luscious starts with Looks that are, well, inviting. So I stuck my nose into the apple before I bit into it (a good test that possibly precludes millennium of heartache) and I get malt, some fruits of the tree, but mostly malt blended in Paradise... caramel malt being the most prominent. Taste tells the truth, this ale is about sweet malt. And its Feel ? That is somewhere between ecstasy and good. I will let you be the judge.

Overall: I obviously enjoyed this ale. I've said a few things about it that should not be said about ale. But, the best part is that 3 Monts Amber was a splendid accompaniment to my world-famous ratatouille which has an abundance of garlic. And frankly, isn't that what the French kitchen is really about ?

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

750 ml bottle with a very unusual and complex closure system. A cork stuffed way down (requiring a corkscrew to extract) and strapped in place by a rigid piece of metal. Over that is a shrink-wrapped golden plastic cover.

After finally opening the bottle, I pour it into my goblet. For being labeled an "amber" it has a very pale appearance but I guess there is a hint of red. The pale golden yellow ale has great clarity and incredible head that just continues to grow. When it eventually settles, it leaves some great lacing behind.

Aroma is complex and unusal too. Funky, floral, earthy, and sour. In fact, it's great. I just don't know how to describe all of the details.

Flavor is quite nice too and, as I've now come to expect from this brew, unusual and complex. The first thing that stands out is the bready nature of the yeast. It has elements of french baguette and it goes nicely with the floral funk. There is layers of fruit and spice as well.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body and surprisingly not that high in carbonation. Given the appearance, I expected it to feel like champagne.

Overall a wonderfully complicated beer from begining to end.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from 750mL corked bottle into a tulip. My bottle indicates 8.3% ABV rather than the above-noted 9%.

Appearance: medium amber-orange hue with a crystal-clear body and a very light effervescence. Head is two thick fingers of frothy ivory foam leaving a nice lace as it dissipates. Attractive.

Smell: lightly fruity malt aroma with a pear character and a hint of apple, although not cidery at all. A very subtle hint of spicy/phenolic character is also present, but it serves merely to liven up the aromatic palate. Light, but quite nice indeed.

Taste: malty with a bit of a grainy component, but quite balanced. The pear and apple qualities are still present, and there's a little bit of a hint of toastiness as well. Finish has a hint of bitterness which is well balanced. I find that I'm really loving this beer. Wonderful!

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a well-integrated carbonation. You'd never think of it, based on the lack of apparent effervescence, but this is a very well carbonated and highly creamy concoction. Love it!

Overall: I bought this beer on a whim, knowing nothing at all about it. I am so glad I found it -- this is a delicious treat from start to finish.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

After getting past the interesting cork arrangement the beer poured a very pretty honey color with a rocky, eggshell head. The aroma consisted of sweet malt, and peppery, perfumey hops. Before it warmed up a bit alcohol was too big of a flavor. Once it warmed everything fell into place. Bread and honey on the palate and some wood (American oak) as well. While not very sweet at all, it finishes even drier. Very complex beer and beautifully crafted. My review surely does not do it justice. I’m glad the store was out of the “regular” 3 Monts, and I had the extra dollar to spend on this one.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, 11 20 printed on the back label (best before date?). Pours lightly cloudy golden orange color with a nice 3 finger fluffy white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice foamy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big pear, grape, citrus zest, pepper, clove, herbal, floral, earth, grass, hay, light funk, bread, and yeast spiciness. Damn nice aromas with good balance, strength, and complexity. Taste of pear, apple, citrus zest, pepper, clove, herbal, floral, grass, hay, earth, bread, light funk, light honey, and yeast spiciness. Lingering notes of light fruits, pepper, clove, hay, grass, herbal, floral, earth and yeast spices on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic flavor balance and complexity; nice spicy/malt flavor balance; zero cloying flavors on the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a lightly slick and very crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic Biere De Garde! Great flavor balance and complexity; very smooth to sip on for 8.3%. This is extremely crisp and delicious stuff.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

I grabbed a bottle of this at State Line a couple of weeks back. I drank the regular 3 Monts this past week and then this a couple of nights back, and again tonight, for a proper review. Many thanks to joe1510 for putting this on my radar.

Pouring a brilliant copper/amber with exceptional clarity, the first pour is crystal clear. A dense, eggshell-white head is present with exceptional retention and gorgeous lacing. With high carbonation, this looks beautiful.

The nose is wonderful. Light, delicate and spicy, there's a rustic, lightly earthy character to it. Doughy like rising bread. Grassy hops are present with a touch of lemon, mildly wet-twig like. A little honey too.

The palate opens with a moderate hop character, more than I remember the regular 3 Monts having, quite herbal and mildly lemony, a little grassy too. There's a delicate undercurrent of spice through the palate, with a little pepper, along with a light honey, mildly floral, all of which are carried by a delicate bready character. Dry with earthy hops on the finish, this has a lingering light spice character. Light in body with high carbonation, this is quite prickly on the tongue, just a touch more than I'd like. The finish is wonderful, though. This really is a beer that I would love to serve at a meal. Excellent stuff

4.26/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is brewed once in the spring and once in the fall.

Just getting the cork out of this bottle is a problem. There is no "champagne" twisted cork stopper it is a "wine cork" held in with a bent wire. You will need a wine opener for this one. Slightly musty/malt/earthy nose. Golden in color with a touch of orange. It has a thick slightly off white head. Nice lively carbonation in the goblet and the head and lace are framed well. The malty base to the taste is a tapestry for subtle flavors of dry tart fruit, smoke, and white pepper. The mouth is complex with original silk smoothtongue, followed by lots of bubbles and a dry finish. The beer is very good and improves as it warms. A very creamy lasting milkshake of a beer.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%