3 Monts Amber Ale On Lees | Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre

brasserie-st-sylvestre.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by frank4sail on 08-22-2002

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%

Belgian bomber w/o freshness info. Plastic covering a cork, kept in place by a metal bar, interesting task to get this baby open. Pours clouded light orangy amber, under a lovely, airy, long lasting off white head. Leaves thick blobs of nice looking lace. Nice looking beer. Faint nose, I got just a wee whiff of some musty and some light flowery fruitiness. Delicate Biere de garde, notes of light pepper, honey, leafy hops. Quite drying finish. Love the style. Enjoyed this one, but it seemed a bit on the tame side. I'd prefer more of a flavor punch, maybe I have been drinking too much San Diego style DIPA lately...

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

I've been holding onto this bottle for months, perhaps for a special occasion? And why not review #800 on BA? For this, I genuflect to the generosity of jcalbi...

The first thing you know about this ale, once freeing the cork and letting the beer flow free, is the enormous, volcanic, titanic, utterly brobdignagian head of foam that gushes forth and overwhelms the glass, spills unto the floor, and before you know it, you're licking the linoleum!
Aroma: Sweetness supreme! I'm sorry, if you're not an angel in human form, you probably have no right to know this sublimity...oh, wait, it's YOU! Okay, go ahead...sparkly, yeasty, fruity, heady, ..oooh, I'm on cloud 10! It's one more, you understand...
Appearance: a murky, cloudy, amber hue, closer to a pale orange, actually...
Taste: lightness, sweetness, fruit, divinity, transendence, uplifting goodness, unparalleled happiness resulting from, goodness, this is that rare kind of beer that makes me swoon, do you hear, swooon!
Each further sip cause me to reel back again, and further settle into this luscious enveloping of beauty...yes, every once in a while, you find beauty in a beer, and this is then...oh, Lordy..
Body, if we MUST get technical, is rather light, but don't tell that to FLAVOR, oh, no, for the finish don't know the meaning of that word, brother! Rings and chimes in the caverns of the senses for what seems like forever! And long may it, indeed! I can see no further pleasure to be found of a beer of this caliber, if there is any other...I'm going to have a fine time emptying this bottle, oh, yes, sir!
I take back my previous comments about France and beer ...if there's more like this, France, I'll forgive you for Fischer, but, PLEASE, more of THIS!!!!

Again, thanks to jcalbi, long may he reign...

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle from West Lakeview Liquors. Apparently this is the same as Bière Nouvelle. Served in a Russian River tulip. Order 3043, whatever that means.

A - A finger-plus of white foam settles to a thin cap and thicker collar, leaving behind spotty lace. Hazy apricot body - apparently i was supposed to decant this carefully. Whoops...

S - Sweet pale malts and toasted grains, a bit of spicy yeast, hay and grass, light oxidation, honey, and stone fruits. Alcohol is very well-hidden - I'd never guess 8%. Somewhat understated actually.

T - Taste has a bit more spicy yeast character, but otherwise is fairly malt-forward with mid-palate honey, sugar, and fruit sweetness, as well as some grass and hay. Again, minimal alcohol presence.

M - Zesty carbonation, super dry, medium-bodied, with well-hidden alcohol.

D - It's not the most interesting beer, but it's quite easy to drink considering the ABV. Probably better for pairing with a spring feast than for consumption on its own. Nothing something I'd bother with again, but a pretty painless way to knock of France if you're into collecting countries on here.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429 at his place the other night. Liking this beer more than the rest of the people there apparently makes me retarded. I never knew. At the time of this review, this is the #4 Biere de Garde on the best of beeradvocate lists.

Beer served in a snifter, beer is yellow and clear with a white head of small and medium bubbles. Some carbonation, some lacing, looks good.

The aroma is not very good however. It is sulfury and has a lagerish bite to it, mildly grainy, a little off putting.

Beer is medium bodied and has a grassiness to it that seems like an off-flavor but I don't mind it much. There is a mildly dry finish with some partially sweet beginnings. The overall experience is nice but I don't think I'd have it again, especially not in front of anyone else due to overwhelming amounts of shame.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from 750mL corked bottle into a tulip. My bottle indicates 8.3% ABV rather than the above-noted 9%.

Appearance: medium amber-orange hue with a crystal-clear body and a very light effervescence. Head is two thick fingers of frothy ivory foam leaving a nice lace as it dissipates. Attractive.

Smell: lightly fruity malt aroma with a pear character and a hint of apple, although not cidery at all. A very subtle hint of spicy/phenolic character is also present, but it serves merely to liven up the aromatic palate. Light, but quite nice indeed.

Taste: malty with a bit of a grainy component, but quite balanced. The pear and apple qualities are still present, and there's a little bit of a hint of toastiness as well. Finish has a hint of bitterness which is well balanced. I find that I'm really loving this beer. Wonderful!

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a well-integrated carbonation. You'd never think of it, based on the lack of apparent effervescence, but this is a very well carbonated and highly creamy concoction. Love it!

Overall: I bought this beer on a whim, knowing nothing at all about it. I am so glad I found it -- this is a delicious treat from start to finish.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

From the 25 fl. oz. bottle with a mark of 11-20. I am not enthralled by the metal ring that holds the cork. I had to pull out a screwdriver to get it off. It was not terribly convenient. However, once I made it through that process I was presented with a beer that poured golden yellow with great clarity, about three inches of frothy head and good carbonation and lacing. The aroma boasts a wheat element and a vague spiciness akin to a Belgian Abbey Ale. The body is creamy and bold. The taste was generally on the mellow side with a bountiful wheatiness, creamy maltiness, and a dry hopped ending. A pretty good beer altogether.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a hazed, copper-amber color, that sits beneath a frothy light tan head that creates a wispy Belgian Lace as it subsides. The aroma is spicy, fruity and malty with notes of apples, ginger, pear, caramel, vanilla, and toasted malt. This has quite the classic Bier De Garde nose, predominantly malty with nice complimentary notes of fruit and spice. This beer is well carbonated, it foams effervescently as it hits my tongue for the first time. The taste is sweet up front with nice fruity notes of apples, but then moves to a sharp prickly mix of carbonation, ginger and alcohol. This beer is quite good, though because of its strength, it does have tell tale notes of alcohol in the finish, which detracts a little bit.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

I got this bottle in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

It's a 750ML bottle with a gold wrap and cork and single metal bar that holds the cork in. I've never come across this before. Ok, I figured it out. ;^) The cork has a 12-18 on it, what ever that means, and I pulled it out with my fingers without too much trouble.

It pours about a 1" of light golden liquid and the rest is foam. Hehehe...this is going to be an adventure! As the head slowly recedes, I'm seeing a lot of sticky lacing. Good so far. A slow, careful refill reveals more of the appearance characteristics. It's a clear amber gold with lots of tiny bubbles.

The smell is sweetish with strong notes of caramel malt, some earth, and lots of fruity tones. And when I say strong, I should say complex as the overall fragrance is on the mild side. Very good smeller though.

The taste is also sweetish. Some caramel but more of a candy sugar sweetness, and some earthy husky flavour, some graininess, with some nice citric tones that works well to subdue some of the sweetness, not allowing it to get out of hand. And....when I swish the ale in my mouth, I get a touch of pepper and some fruit. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is just a notch below medium and works well with the medium carbonation. The alcohol is not present at all as I get no warming...well..not at first. It does look like it's one of those sneak up on you brews after you're deep in the session but I don't have a problem with that as I'm not going anywhere tonight. Ahhh...so silky smooth and so damn tasty. There's a certain majesty I feel sipping on this Grand Reserve Special Ale. One mighty fine brew.

Thanks again Joe for another real treat!

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

(Served in an oversized wine glass)

A-This beer has a nice deep orange hazy body with a big creamy bright cream colored head. The body is a bit to hazy to see carbonation. Nice lacing as the beer drinks.

S- notes of caramel, sweet flowers, wheat and a light toast hint make this smell very complex yet light and soft. A bit of oak and malt come through as it warms.

T- Light soft pale malt with some caramel notes and a nice hint of spice at the finish. As it warms more malt and a light toasted malt flavor comes through. A nice caramel malt finish has a bit of warmth but not what I would expect from 8% ABV.

M- This has a medium mouthfeel with a silky feel and a bit of fizz also.

D-This beer has a very soft yet complex flavor to it. The malt is really the star of the show and there is not a great deal of yeasty characteristics. Very well built and nice maltyness but a good session beer.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

I grabbed a bottle of this at State Line a couple of weeks back. I drank the regular 3 Monts this past week and then this a couple of nights back, and again tonight, for a proper review. Many thanks to joe1510 for putting this on my radar.

Pouring a brilliant copper/amber with exceptional clarity, the first pour is crystal clear. A dense, eggshell-white head is present with exceptional retention and gorgeous lacing. With high carbonation, this looks beautiful.

The nose is wonderful. Light, delicate and spicy, there's a rustic, lightly earthy character to it. Doughy like rising bread. Grassy hops are present with a touch of lemon, mildly wet-twig like. A little honey too.

The palate opens with a moderate hop character, more than I remember the regular 3 Monts having, quite herbal and mildly lemony, a little grassy too. There's a delicate undercurrent of spice through the palate, with a little pepper, along with a light honey, mildly floral, all of which are carried by a delicate bready character. Dry with earthy hops on the finish, this has a lingering light spice character. Light in body with high carbonation, this is quite prickly on the tongue, just a touch more than I'd like. The finish is wonderful, though. This really is a beer that I would love to serve at a meal. Excellent stuff

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared the a 750 ml botle with my dad at dinner. We had gowumpkies (pardon any imcorrect spelling).

Poured an excellent 1.5 finger head into a big tulip glass.

Smell slighty sugary with a hint of citrus to back up the sweetness.

Mouthfeel was citrussy with a pleasant backup of ticlkey carboantion that complemnented the plablano crushed peppers i put on my gowumpkies.

The taste had a monent of vanilla goodness wuth a citrus finish.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Flashback #329

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I do believe that MasterSki brought this to our get together on the 4th.

A - Golden color with some amber highlights. Decent white head that left some spots and a solid ring behind.

S - Some spice and light malts. There's some fruity belgian yeast with a little bit of a champagne feel. Interesting earth tones.

T - Bit of yeast with a dose of sweetness. I pick out honey, a little bit of stone fruit, grass, and hay.

M - Active carbonation, dry, medium bodied.

O - It's a French tick, so that's something. The beer is not bad, and the alcohol is well hidden. Not something I'd go after again though with better options always available.

3 Monts Amber Ale On Lees from Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre