3 Monts Amber Ale On Lees | Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre

brasserie-st-sylvestre.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by frank4sail on 08-22-2002

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Jaspers.
Pours a slightly hazy medium golden color with a huge white head that persists forever leaving copious amounts of lace on the way down my glass. Pear and plum with pepper and sweet sugar make up the bulk of the aroma. A light mineral and yeastiness rounds out the nose. The flavor is sweeter than I thought with the honey like and bready pilsner malt shining through. Light pitted fruits a touch of warming and a hint of pepper round it all out. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. Nice brew, if it weren't a country tick I never would have picked it up, but I'm glad I did, I rather enjoyed it.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

750ml
$8.99
Sam's Marcey

3 Monts Grande Reserve pours a surprisingly clear deep golden with stream after stream of moderate sized carbonation bubble rising to the surface. A standard pour brought about a hefty, three fingers worth of microbubbled bright white head. The head eventually settled at a finger and left incredible puffy drink lines on its way down the glass. This beer looks appetizing to say the least.

Although the aroma is light it has an incredible depth. A hint of freshly husked grains is the first thing to greet my nose, this combines with a pale malty sweetness that's very candy like. The yeast brings about an incredible complexity laden with peaches, green apple, chardonnay and a slight earthy mustiness. The aroma of this beer just draws me right in, making me want a drink immediately.

The flavor follows the aroma closely. Very vinous with the mustiness coming through faintly throughout the entire drink. Mild fresh graininess mixes it up with the sweet pale maltiness. The grape character leads the way in the fruit department but the green apple and peach make solid appearances. This is a very well put together beer with a great depth of flavor.

The mouthfeel on this beer is excellent! The carbonation makes the body light and airy all the while being refreshing. There's a nice crispness and slight drying on the finish.

The light, airy body makes this beer incredibly easy to put away. I could see myself drinking this until the alcohol caught up with me. An incredible drinkability when the abv is taken into consideration.

I loved 3 Monts when I had it and couldn't find 3 Monts Grande Reserve for a long time now. Luckily I came across a few bottles and it's just as good as the original which is really saying something. The two beers I've had from this brewery leave me wanting more.

Reviewed: 6/22/08