Whale's Tale Pale Ale | Cisco Brewers Inc.

good
Whale's Tale Pale AleWhale's Tale Pale Ale

Cisco Brewers Inc.
Massachusetts, United States
ciscobrewers.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by Quaffer on 12-07-2001

Ratings: 1,225 |  Reviews: 376

Poured into a Pint Glass ...Dark Amber in color - one of the darkest Pale Ale's I've had. Great fruity aroma hits your nose well before the beer hits the mouth. The taste is thick on the tongue with a nice lingering hop taste. This is an EXCEPTIONAL Pale Ale.

4.97/5  rDev +34.7%

this could very easily be styled an IPA. Great taste, truly an exceptional recipe. Love the malty and hopped up finish. Challenges any micro brewed amrican beers which have taken over the landsacape over the last decade. I recomend this beer as a compliment to the fineset meal at your favorite restaurant, or a session beer on Sunday as you wade through the NFL results to the wee hours of the night. Best as it warms to room temperature, very refreshing with a very unique taste, difficult to compare... because it sets its own path. This is what beer is all about. Try it once and you will be hooked. The boys on Nantucket kill with this one. You won't be dissappointed. With Moor porter as my favorite... they have really shown they know what brewing is all about

4.96/5  rDev +34.4%

4.92/5  rDev +33.3%

Big 750ml bottle. Poured a peachy hazy color with typical carbonation for its style. Fantastic aroma, just what a beer should smell like. Anticipated drink was wonderful. Clean mellow fruity taste. Perfect blend of hop and malt flavors. A new favorite in this style. A great beer.

4.83/5  rDev +30.9%

This is my first review and it's of what is probably my favorite beer.

A- Warm amber color; poured straight into a Whales Tale glass, it produces and retains a good head.

S- Malt is strong, only the slightest hint of hops comes through. The smell is much cloudier than the taste, but still very inviting.

T- Exceptionally balanced, with a good degree of hop bitterness but not bite. Finishes smooth and incredibly crisp.

M- Medium body, sense of fullness without being overly strong. Mellows upon sitting.

D- Excellent crisp, slightly bitter pale ale that lends itself to more than one in a sitting. The taste leaves me wanting another even when another beer is calling my name. Beloved.

4.8/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured into a surly nonic (thanks to expedition for the glass!). Huge thanks to Palphen for this awesome extra! Excited for my first Cisco brew.

A: Pours a browned red that gets murky with carbonation toward the head and has two finger head of collapsing, slightly tanned foam. Great lacing. This is by far the darkest pale ale I've had.

S: Damn this thing is aromatic. Punching with juicy fruit scents-- peach, watermelon, mango, coconut, pineapple-- with toasted grains and roasted nuts weighing them down with a little smoky, burnt, savory character, all being pinched off in the end with nice citrus hops. This beer is up to something wicked.

T: Very much what I got in the nose with more life and well-integrated characters than I could have even anticipated. Ever part of this, the fruitiness, the more roasted RIS flavors, and the hop flavor and mouthfeel development are all delicious, top-class and work together great.

M: Thickish on the mouthfeel which matches the darker flavors, but the carbonation and quick disappearance as the beer slips out of your mouth makes it refreshing and crisp, which helps it fit the style and work with the hops.

O: This beer was great. I would absolutely drink this again. It reminds me, strangely, of the kids dessert dirt and worms. Oreos, cool whip and sour gummy worms don't sound like a match but put them together and you have a surprisingly tasty and fun dessert. Cisco took 3 taste spectrums I didn't expect to play too well together, but they really did it perfectly. This beer is damn good. Huge thanks again to Palphen for this great throw in.

4.72/5  rDev +27.9%

750 mL bottle served lightly chilled in a pint glass, though I think a tulip should have been used.

Appearance: Cloudy orange amber topped by an explosively huge yellowish head. A nice 1/4" layer of foam was retained all throughout consumption and some nice splotchy blobs of foam were left on the side of the glass. I, too, experienced the excessive foam problem others have reported. The oversized head does go away eventually, though, so it's all good.

Smell: Nice fruity, buttery, and yeasty sweet aromas. Toffee, oranges, vanilla, oak, nuts, and apple smells. Slightly odd for a pale ale (or IPA as the label legend says), but this is still quite an incredible nose.

Taste: Peppery and grassy hops splash across the tongue, leaving yeasty and bready malts in their wake. Tastes very "Belgian" to me. Me likey, likey a lot. Slight alcohol taste in the background, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Solid medium body with a nice clean finish from the effervescence. Alcohol is well-masked and overall, the beer is very dry.

Drinkability: If, as others noted, this is a British style (I)PA, then I think I might have to seek out some others of this ilk. I've not had much experience with the old school style, but I was reminded more of a Belgian-style ale here. I'm thinking if Unibroue made a pale ale or IPA, it would taste a helluva lot like this. I will definitely be seeking this out when in Boston for Extreme Beer Fest.

A hearty thanks to my girlfriend for getting this for my birthday last week.

4.7/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A truly amazing beer. IMO it's easily one of the best Pale Ales, in New England, and for that matter the world. As traditional as traditional can be, big malts with slight hops. Hazy hued, glowing ever so brightly. Nice frothy head, symmetrical lacing all the way down.

I had this on tap at Bayzo's pub at Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster. A swanky place that you end up paying for, and at 7.50 a pint I didn't have too many, but it's dam good.

4.57/5  rDev +23.8%

The CANQuest is rapidly approaching # 250 with no end in sight! I CAN remember when I despaired breaking the Century mark. Now, the sky's the limit, apparently. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: "our flagship English-style pale ale is brewed with the classic floor-malted Maris Otter pale malt and tasty Goldings hops. The fruity orange-malt body of this amber brew pairs well with food, and you'll find that the delightful balance is perfectly suited for your next session."

Two fingers' worth of tawny head immediately appeared on the pour, bubbling and frothing like the Weird Sisters' brew in MacBeth. The color was a deep orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was very orangish, zesty in its scope and intensity. Mouthfeel was medium with a sweet-tart combination on the tongue like a fizzy candy, orange and caramel, if you CAN imagine such a thing. Wild! Finish was still lingering with that same sweet-tart flavor, causing a niggling feeling that I have tasted something like this before, but I CANnot dredge it up. This is definitely going into the cooler this summer!

4.57/5  rDev +23.8%

My wife and I went to a new restaurant ( Burton's Bar & Grill) in a newer shopping complex in CT.This beer was on "special" for the evening.Like the other reveiwers it took me by surprise the color of the beer for a "pale ale".When I choose a beer I try to pair it with the food I have chosen if I can depending on the beer selection ( which was very good here).This was a very refreshing,great mouthfeel and very good after taste especially paired with a "panani type sandwich and a chilled cucumber salad.I have had other cisco beers in the past but this one tops them all!

Whale's Tale Pale Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.