Bailey's Blonde Ale | Cisco Brewers Inc.

good

ABV varies 6.5 - 7.5%

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.28/5  rDev -39.2%

Wow, aggressive fizzy/foamy head (whipped Egg whites) Clear bright gold beer with some visible carbonation.. The head does have a lot of structure and nice retention...

The aroma is a little odd. Plastic.. slightly medicinal. Grass, slight citrus a touch of grapefruit & lemon.

Noticeable medicinal taste and quite yeasty.. Lemon and black pepper.
Taste a bit like a homebrew... Just has a plastic/medicinal tone... I keep waiting for something to grow on me and it's not....

Not much body.. Just a tingle of carbonation...

Not too drinkable to be honest..

2.34/5  rDev -37.6%

Sadly this beer tasted ahborrible. The only salvage it had was that after it sat around for a few hours it was slightly more palpatable. I hope my bottle was bad because this was sadly not an enjoyable beer. To give some credit, we did finish the bottle.

I would not buy this again. On the other hand the Whale Tale was good. Not sure if this was my aversion to this beer or problems with quality control.

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

2.56/5  rDev -31.7%

Slightly hazy and light honey colored with a massive and out of control head. This bottle seems like it was overprimed or something. Yeasty aroma and slightly citrusy with a hint of white grapes maybe? This is super carbonated and extremely effervescent which is really unpleasant to me. Flavor is on the bitter side (also a dissapointment) which hides most everything else except the yeast. I'm thinking maybe I got a bad bottle here considering the good reviews I've read. I tried like hell but could not enjoy this brew

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

A - golden color with a thick chill haze (clarifies as it warms), decent head, fair retention

S - modest American citrus-like hop, biscuity pale malt

T - moderate citrus hop flavor with a fairly astringent hop bitterness on finish; malt is present, but not very supportive of hop bitterness or flavors

M - medium body, moderate carbonation

D - This is a disappointing American blonde ale. The balance is all off. The malt cannot support the hop flavors or finish. The malt character is muddy and neither distinct or interesting. But it's not a drain-pour, BUT I won't be getting this again. It might be better closer to the source, I would hope.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

2.84/5  rDev -24.3%

Tried this beer after being rushed through the beer list at the Cisco in Logan. Described as a light Belgian, when it seems to be a Blonde after further research. Knowing that adds a tinge to this review but I will go from my notes and not the other reviews. Served in a 22oz Becker the beer was a light golden color with a thin white head that left good lacing. The smell was lightly if at all present, perhaps some floral tones. Taste was bready, and floral with little of the promises body of a Belgian. Little character in the taste profile and would seem much for fitting for a Blonde session that a Pale Belgian. Good carbonation but few other redeeming qualities.

2.86/5  rDev -23.7%

On tap at the Cisco brewpub at Logan airport.
This one poured a hazy, dark gold with a dense, white cap. Good head retention with some spotty lacing. Bitterness was moderate overall, but seemed a little harsh. It had a light citrus flavour with slight spiciness, cereal grains, a bit of sweetness and lingering bitterness. The aroma was all cereal, citrus, and a bit of spice. Light to medium bodied with creamy carbonation, off-dry. This just didn't come together for me. I didn't enjoy the combination of flavours and there was a bit of perceived harshness from the hops/spicy character.

3.04/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer pours out a muddy golden color with out much head. The lacing is very minimal. The head that is there is just a thin white film over the top. The smell of the is grainy with some earthy hops. The taste is a little earthy and had a dirty hop flavor the overpowers the taste. The mouthfeel is medium, decent carbonation. Overall, not a fan, didn't think this was much of a blonde ale personally. I'll leave this one alone in the future.

3.07/5  rDev -18.1%

7/5/2005 $5.99 750 mL 7.50% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow, but as with other Cisco beers I've sampled, there is a definite carbonation problem, with over 3 inches of head, that refuses to settle.

Aroma:

Faint citrusy hops with a weird combo of licorice.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Carbonation is out of control, as this beer expands in the mouth, and is difficult to discern any true flavor characteristics. Once things settle a bit, a mild hop presence is felt along with a moderate malt senstation that is reminiscent of a European pilsner.

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

1 pt 9.4 fl oz (750ml) bottle from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a huge 4+" bright white head above the slightly cloudy straw hued brew. Had to be patient, let things fade, and then add more ot the glass. Head is thick and frothy, like melted marshmallow on top of hot chocolate, to paint an image. Lacing is tremendous. Just wish I could get it in the glass faster and get to the tasting part. An effervescent citrusy aroma, with a little something in there that I don't recognize, kind of bitingly bitter (my first thought is bug spray, but we'll pretend I didn't think that). Taste is kind of bitterly harsh, what with the pale malt and hops more like duking it out than playing a symphony together. And it's not just a hops bitterness, but more earthy. Anyways, sort of tones down the mouthfeel and drinkability for me, although it does improve as it continues to warm towards romm temperature.

Not my favorite beer ever, but it hasn't turned me away from Cisco entirely, either. Hoping for a bit more out of their other products.

3.24/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info but they just hit the market here so should be fresh. It was a clear dark honey color with lots of carb streams and great lacing. It had a massive white head that took forever to whittle down to a constant 1/4" foam.

Being a blonde ale, I was expecting a mostly malt aroma but this one had floral hops upfront and center. There was some bready malt but it was buried in the back. I love hoppy aromas but there was something a bit off in this one. Couldn't pin it down but just didn't have that great hop aroma like an IPA. The taste was good but I found it to be harshly bitter with too lingering of an after-taste. Needed more of a malt balance to cut the bitterness.

Overall, an interesting beer that surprised me style wise. This is more IPA than blonde to me. I much more prefer their Grey Lady but was glad to try this one. Mild recommend. For me, one and done.

[1xBOA]

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

A-12oz beer poured into a Saranac pint glass, is a clear golden blond with a very thin layer of white head that leaves some lacing around the top

S-a light bitter hop smell mixed with some sweet malts

T-very bitter! much more so than I was expecting based on the smell. After you get through the hops there is a bit of sweet malts, but not enough to balance it out

M-medium carbonation and a light to medium body, leaves a bitter aftertaste

D-more like an IPA than anything else, not something I would pick up again

3.26/5  rDev -13.1%

Very nice golden straw color that with a head that goes on forever. Who got out the cool whip? Extremely citrusy/grassy aroma. Somewhat harsh flavor-not unpleasant-quenching and crisp. Astringent mouthfeel but again not in a bad way. A nice beer for a hot summer day though I was hoping for a more discernable medley of the hops and malt. It all seems to "rush" together. I look forward to trying some of this breweries other products.

3.27/5  rDev -12.8%

No real bottle date and had some sediment at the base so I can only assume it's over 7 months old.

A - A very hazy amber yellow so not quite blonde at all. Head exploded forth filling my whole glass with foam even with a tilt. So far not good.

S - No real hops just a raw grain smell and maybe some musk.

T - OK this bottle is older than I thought I am for sure getting a wet cardboard flavor next to some bittering hops and a very raw grainy taste. A shell of it's former self.

M - Medium bodied.

Overall I may revisit since I liked the summertime lager but I even had that one with age and it was at least drinkable. This one resulted in a 1/4 of the bottle drain pour.

Bailey's Blonde Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.