1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale | Cisco Brewers Inc.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced AlePumple Drumkin Spiced Ale

Availability: Fall

None provided.

Reviews by Garrett092112:

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Where some newer pumpkin ale makers are instant on making a beer that tastes identical to pumpkin ale, and then others that want to create a beer first and nuances of pumpkin flesh and spice to accent; the Cisco brewers split the difference in a taste that's just as beery as it is pumpkiny.

Its bright copper hue takes on the tinge of orange pumpkin to sell "taste with your eyes first" very well. Spicy nutmeg and clove leads the way with cinnamon and brown sugar following closely behind. Its sweet malty upstart supports the spices in a sultry and flirty kind of way.

What insures is a light caramel and confection taste that coats the palate and prepares it for the spices that quickly follow- those allspice medleys symphonize over the middle with the same cinnamon, nutmeg and clove character that charmed the nose. Its rich palate is lightly starchy and sweet though a drying and warming finish looms.

Despite its medium-bodied upstart dissolves quite effortlessly in its finish, a spicy, heated and drying tactile sensation follows to offer a moderate sense of drinkability and sociability to the session. Its dry starchiness is laden with skeletons of spice and sweetness that aridly reminds the palate and memory of pumpkin pie.

Worst beer I ever had last year. Dumped the rest but one down the drain to save some other soul from having to endure the taste. Tried the one I saved again just too be sure and it hit the drain too. Too scared of loosing my beer palate to attempt buying it this year..... Yuck..

4.02/5  rDev +16.5%

And thus continues my saga of the quest for pumpkin beer enlightenment. Oooh, and this has one of the best Pumpkin beer ratings yet, so I'm excited. This one also has a great story to go with it. So I'm workin on my grandparents cranberry bog farm, in the gift shop, and my grandmother tells me that someone from a vodka distilling place is coming by to promote their new cranberry beer and drop off a bottle for "display". I'm not much of a vodka fan, so I was somewhat agnostic. Next thing I know I see an old 70s VW van pull up with the Triple 8 logo on it. I've been to Cisco Brewery before, its the same company and building as Triple 8 distillers and Natucket Winery. A great place to visit by the way. So now I'm excited. The rep comes in and starts talking about the promo. When he's done I ask him about The Pink Lady and the Lady of the Woods (since the thread had just come up on BA the day before and I was curious) and I had to mention my failed clone of The Grey Lady (for which he told me the secret spice in it, which is <cough cough hack wheeze>). After a few minutes he runs out to the van, brings back a bottle of The Grey Lady and a bottle of this Pumple Drumkin, which I haven't tried yet (as well as a bottle cranberry vodka and vanilla vodka for my grandmother since she loves that stuff) just for us. I snagged the two beers and here is the Pumpkin that I was waiting to try.

Now if you stuck through that long story, here comes an awesome review. (I should have started drinking it before I wrote the story).

A: Pours extremely flat, perhaps the bottle he gave me was an experimental, or it was sitting in his truck for a while. It has a few large bubbles reminiscent of a cask beer. The crystal clear toasty brown color has a touch of red too, and some interesting bubbles rising up to the top giving it a light posthumous head that is bigger than the one from the pour... a first for me.

N: With that, I almost wonder if I should stop the review and buy one in the store before I finish the review... eh screw it. The nose has a light toasted pumpkin and some sweet malts. A very light fruity aroma sneaks its way through as well. I also don't get much for spice, which is a good sign. I get a slight bready aroma that makes me thing of the crust of a pumpkin pie.

T: Taste starts with some spices, unfortunately, but they're still tampered down. More toasty pumpkin flavors explode. I also get some bitterness and some light hints of alcohol. A bit of the spicey toasty hops. It definitely has a sweet and toasty pumpkin pie taste, but the spices are very mild after that first initial hit. It has a nice clean ale taste and refreshing enjoyment to it as well. A slight nutty taste also seems to find its way into my mouth. It also has a sweet syrupy taste that is a little mouth smackingly too much.

M: Not as light as I would expect, a little bit thick and slightly creamy, touch of spicey, but no carbonation and that's the real downfall of this beer.

F: Very dry and very bitter. It has a strong toasted earthy bitterness that really comes through on the end. The bitterness first starts a little contrasted to the original sweet pumpkin pie taste and a little eyebrow raising, but then seems to mellow down and really accents the beer well. The lingering toasty pumpkin seems to fade quickly, but the bitterness takes its time and its a nice long finish that is pretty enjoyable.

Final thoughts: A very nice tasty pumpkin ale, that has a slight sweet taste with toasty pumpkin, a little bready, pumpkin pie with crust taste, light on the spices, big on the refreshment, and a head scratching but inner smiling bitter earthy hop finish. It's only real downfall is the sheer lack of carbonation. However, I'll have to buy one (as I was planning to do anyways) and verify it has carbonation and I'll add on to this review. Thanks a lot for the beer, this one's for Cisco being such an awesome company and making great beers.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Hazy orange-brown pour with a small white head.

S: The aroma is full of pumpkin, spices, gingerbread, caramel malts.

T: The taste follows the smell pretty accurately. Big hit of pumpkin and caramel malts, with the spiciness complimenting everything and finishing the beer off.

MF: Carbonated well, light in body, sort of a weird aftertaste is the only thing off putting here.

O: Good, easy drinking pumpkin beer. Just another reason to love fall, these beers are back and better than ever!

3.9/5  rDev +13%

2.25/5  rDev -34.8%

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours golden-orange color with a big creamy two-finger off-white head that retains long after the pour, leaving some lace behind.

S- more of a hoppy nose than a typical pumpkin ale with some herbal and woodsy aromas. Typical pumpkin spices are there with some raw pumpkin and toasted bread malt

T- well balanced pumpkin flavors of nutmeg and cinnamon, bready malt balances with a subtle pumpkin flavor, herbal and grassy hops close it out

M- Medium body with moderate carbonation leads to a smooth mouthfeel and a silky dry finish

O- a different take on the typical pumpkin ale, the increased hop bitterness played well with the pumpkin spices

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.