Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale | Cisco Brewers Inc.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced AlePumple Drumkin Spiced Ale

Added by corey0212 on 09-22-2008

Reviews: 185 | Ratings: 651
Reviews by dcloeren:
3.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a bottle with a cool little pumpkin man on it in my hotel room in Westfield, Mass.

Poured a hazy bright orange with a finger of cream colored head.

Pretty good smelling beer. Getting some pumpkin flesh with lots of spice in the aroma. Nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice and some brown sugar.

The spice is a little harder to dissect in the taste. Pumpkin flesh forward with some sweet malt with the spices making up the background. Definitely missing something though... Could be a little bolder...

Lighter in body and well carbonated. A little thin... Could definitely use a little more body.

Overall, I'm glad I picked this up as a single. I enjoyed drinking it but won't be seeking it out again in the future. Definitely could use a little boldness and some more body. Worth a taste if your curious.

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

And thus continues my saga of the quest for pumpkin beer enlightenment. Oooh, and this has one of the best Pumpkin beer ratings yet, so I'm excited. This one also has a great story to go with it. So I'm workin on my grandparents cranberry bog farm, in the gift shop, and my grandmother tells me that someone from a vodka distilling place is coming by to promote their new cranberry beer and drop off a bottle for "display". I'm not much of a vodka fan, so I was somewhat agnostic. Next thing I know I see an old 70s VW van pull up with the Triple 8 logo on it. I've been to Cisco Brewery before, its the same company and building as Triple 8 distillers and Natucket Winery. A great place to visit by the way. So now I'm excited. The rep comes in and starts talking about the promo. When he's done I ask him about The Pink Lady and the Lady of the Woods (since the thread had just come up on BA the day before and I was curious) and I had to mention my failed clone of The Grey Lady (for which he told me the secret spice in it, which is <cough cough hack wheeze>). After a few minutes he runs out to the van, brings back a bottle of The Grey Lady and a bottle of this Pumple Drumkin, which I haven't tried yet (as well as a bottle cranberry vodka and vanilla vodka for my grandmother since she loves that stuff) just for us. I snagged the two beers and here is the Pumpkin that I was waiting to try.

Now if you stuck through that long story, here comes an awesome review. (I should have started drinking it before I wrote the story).

A: Pours extremely flat, perhaps the bottle he gave me was an experimental, or it was sitting in his truck for a while. It has a few large bubbles reminiscent of a cask beer. The crystal clear toasty brown color has a touch of red too, and some interesting bubbles rising up to the top giving it a light posthumous head that is bigger than the one from the pour... a first for me.

N: With that, I almost wonder if I should stop the review and buy one in the store before I finish the review... eh screw it. The nose has a light toasted pumpkin and some sweet malts. A very light fruity aroma sneaks its way through as well. I also don't get much for spice, which is a good sign. I get a slight bready aroma that makes me thing of the crust of a pumpkin pie.

T: Taste starts with some spices, unfortunately, but they're still tampered down. More toasty pumpkin flavors explode. I also get some bitterness and some light hints of alcohol. A bit of the spicey toasty hops. It definitely has a sweet and toasty pumpkin pie taste, but the spices are very mild after that first initial hit. It has a nice clean ale taste and refreshing enjoyment to it as well. A slight nutty taste also seems to find its way into my mouth. It also has a sweet syrupy taste that is a little mouth smackingly too much.

M: Not as light as I would expect, a little bit thick and slightly creamy, touch of spicey, but no carbonation and that's the real downfall of this beer.

F: Very dry and very bitter. It has a strong toasted earthy bitterness that really comes through on the end. The bitterness first starts a little contrasted to the original sweet pumpkin pie taste and a little eyebrow raising, but then seems to mellow down and really accents the beer well. The lingering toasty pumpkin seems to fade quickly, but the bitterness takes its time and its a nice long finish that is pretty enjoyable.

Final thoughts: A very nice tasty pumpkin ale, that has a slight sweet taste with toasty pumpkin, a little bready, pumpkin pie with crust taste, light on the spices, big on the refreshment, and a head scratching but inner smiling bitter earthy hop finish. It's only real downfall is the sheer lack of carbonation. However, I'll have to buy one (as I was planning to do anyways) and verify it has carbonation and I'll add on to this review. Thanks a lot for the beer, this one's for Cisco being such an awesome company and making great beers.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

Where some newer pumpkin ale makers are instant on making a beer that tastes identical to pumpkin ale, and then others that want to create a beer first and nuances of pumpkin flesh and spice to accent; the Cisco brewers split the difference in a taste that's just as beery as it is pumpkiny.

Its bright copper hue takes on the tinge of orange pumpkin to sell "taste with your eyes first" very well. Spicy nutmeg and clove leads the way with cinnamon and brown sugar following closely behind. Its sweet malty upstart supports the spices in a sultry and flirty kind of way.

What insures is a light caramel and confection taste that coats the palate and prepares it for the spices that quickly follow- those allspice medleys symphonize over the middle with the same cinnamon, nutmeg and clove character that charmed the nose. Its rich palate is lightly starchy and sweet though a drying and warming finish looms.

Despite its medium-bodied upstart dissolves quite effortlessly in its finish, a spicy, heated and drying tactile sensation follows to offer a moderate sense of drinkability and sociability to the session. Its dry starchiness is laden with skeletons of spice and sweetness that aridly reminds the palate and memory of pumpkin pie.

Worst beer I ever had last year. Dumped the rest but one down the drain to save some other soul from having to endure the taste. Tried the one I saved again just too be sure and it hit the drain too. Too scared of loosing my beer palate to attempt buying it this year..... Yuck..

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

I have to admit I"am not big on drinking pumpkin ales when it's 90 degrees still outside but I bought the first one of the year today.Poured into a nonic a clear deep burnt orange with a 1/2 finger white head that left no lace as it settled pretty quickly.This is a spiced ale no doubt with aromas of cardamom and clove dominating,a little sweet alcohol and cinnamon sharpness comes into play but is on the lighter side.Flavors are as well spiced with cardamom being the major player,there is a bit of drying in the finish.Well the label says a pumpkin spiced ale and that is what it is no doubt,spiced but not overly sweet so not bad.

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

had at the Cloverleaf in Caldwell NJ. nice looking amber brew, a tiny bit of head. nose was spicy, some slight citrus present. taste was a little lacking in pumpkin, but otherwise a nice ale. good mouthfeel, velvety. overall, one of the better pumpkin beers I have consumed. Wish I could have quaffed more...

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #34 (Nov 2009):

Brewed with locally grown Nantucket pumpkins.

Hazed tawny hue; light wisp of lace graces the top. A pretty complex nose, pleasant roundness of pumpkin and spice within an earthy yeast and sweet bready maltiness. Light carbonation yields enough smoothness to get by. At first sip, some mellow and vague spic- ing, as not one of the spices really jumps out. Pumpkin is hand in hand with the malt while the hops push everything down with a wild herb flavor and bitterness. Malt is toasty, a little roasty and mostly dry. Nutty, earthy yeast with some ripe fruit in the semidry finish.

Cisco hit all the right marks, balanced with a heavy hand of complex flavors. Big and bold, a wedge of aged Gouda would do very well here.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.41/5  rDev -2.8%

Nice-looking beer. Cherry amber color. Small off-white head with a little bit of lace.

Average aroma. Mostly pumpkin, a little bit of spice.

More in the taste. Pumpkin still at the forefront, but the nutmeg and spice came through much more.

Fairly nice mouthfeel. The spice did build up a little bit.

SWould try this again.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.93/5  rDev +12%

I enjoyed this pumpkin spiced beer. Nothing overpowered me, I found it to be beer with a warm friendly aftertaste of pumpkin/spices. I would buy again!

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can.

The pour is hazy lighter amber with a dull orange hue. Ample darker eggshell head, stays pretty well, then slowly starts to go to a thicker low film and leaves some decent looking slippery low bands of lacing.

The expected pumpkin pie spiced nose.

Spiced ale, with cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, lite pumpkin and some equally light pepper comes to mind.

Easy drinking fall beer. Decent sessioner. Bonus points for being put in a can. Good one for the cooler at a fall game/event/outing/picnic.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

3.65/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark orange-brown in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: clove, cinnamon, earthiness, and pumpkin spice

Taste: clove, cinnamon, earthiness, pumpkin spice, and earthy hops at the end.

Mouthfeel: sweet start with spiciness in the middle and a bitter end, medium-high carbonation, medium bodied

Overall: A nice and solid pumpkin ale that is a bit more bitter than I am used to. Not my favorite, but a nice change of pace in a pumpkin tasting—so I will probably get this once a year for just that purpose. I could have a couple.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Brownish copper color, with an off white head of about two fingers. Very little lacing on the glass.

Smell: Malts, Hops, and some mild pumpkin and spices.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and very smooth and dry. Taste mostly of malts and hops with mild pumpkin and spices in the backround, enough to be tasted but not overpowering.

Overall: Very enjoyable brew. certainly one of the better pumpkins ales.

2.87/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pleasant mild aroma of roasted pumpkin with caramel notes. Taste is mild pumpkin with weak spice that fades into a predominant floral, grapefruit, grassy bitter finish. I felt like I was drinking a pumpkin IPA if there is such a thing. I cannot speak for all pumpkin beer lovers, but when I think of pumpkin beer, I am thinking of the flavor of pumpkin pie which is not bitter.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer was a fantastic full bodied pumpkin flavored and spiced beer. The flavors are not too overwhelming, but compliment the beer in a fantastic way. Cisco Brewery makes a great select of beers include Grey Lady and Whale's Tale Pale Ale. I wish Cisco Brewery made kegs.

3.57/5  rDev +1.7%

Coppery apricot colored with a sizzly white head that settles out slowly. Aroma of pumpkin and squashy vegetal notes, plus understated spice. Flavors of pumpkin and squash upfront, some bready malt, followed by subtle spices, thankfully easy on the nutmeg. Punctuated with a spicy and herbal bitter finish, a bit peppery, and a decidedly unpleasant acrid note that lingers and detracts from the whole. Moderate carbonation, even mouthfeel, a bit average overall for me mainly because of the lingering acridness.

4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

Silly label. 12oz

pours into my pint glass a handsome amber brown.

good head, decent retention. Lace is good.

smells of spices, cinnamon...a bit hop forward... nice

tastes of pumpkin, spice... a really nice hoppy feel to it. More so than most other pumpkin ales I have tried.

Overall, this beer took me by surprise. It totally impressed me. I will drink it again.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.