Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale | Cisco Brewers Inc.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced AlePumple Drumkin Spiced Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by corey0212 on 09-22-2008

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

We have begun getting distribution of Cisco Brewers' beers here in PA and when I saw a CAN of this over at The Fridge back in late-August (!), I knew to pick it up and set it aside for the advent of October. The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues in search of good seasonal beers as a result.

From the CAN: "On Nantucket, a Pumple named Drumkin, brewed up some great ale with his pumpkins. One and all came to savor the delicious flavor, then wobbled around like bumpkins. At Cisco they thought, 'This is De-Lish! This is the best ale that we [CAN] accomplish![']"

Mr. Drumkin emitted a loud Crack and cried out for an inverted Glug, so I indulged the happy little fellow. I was rewarded with three fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a deep copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Dense lacing was beginning to form pretty quickly and Mr. Drumkin was cautioned that he would have to clean up his mess when he leaves. Nose was mildly spicy, primarily cinnamon, but perhaps also nutmeg or allspice. It was fairly weak in terms of its nose, especially given the style. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a definite immediate cinnamon presence on the tongue, followed by a ginger-like flavor, which combined with the malt, made me think more of a gingerbread cookie than a pumpkin pie. Finish was semi-dry, mostly due to all of the spices, but I was still thinking Christmas, not Hallowe'en.

Did anyone else see today's "Brevity" comic strip in which Linus goes into shock upon hearing a young woman exiting Starbucks say, "This is a Great Pumpkin Latte!" Ha!

2.28/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Picked up a sixer of this, now just wishing I opted for a single...

Pours orange/copper with 3 fingers of tan head. Nice head retention & lacing

S: All spice & vegtal notes , even some tomato & metallic notes

T: All spice, a little nutmeg, metallic notes & ever so faint squashyness. Nutmeg, pears & metallic notes as this warms. More tomato & metallic notes in the finish, nasty

MF: Prickly carbonation, thin body, thickened up a bit a as this warmed, but only slightly

A poor example of the style & none of the cisco beer's I tried as of late (purchased in Arkansas) are worth a damn. Not buying any more with doing a ton of research. The only thing I liked about this? The label...

This was fairly drinkable the other night after my tastebuds were fried, for what that's worth

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

2.26/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This pumpkin beer smells great. I popped the cap off the bottle and took a whiff and it got my hopes up. Lots of pumpkin spice comes through.

Then I poured it out into a pint glass. Once again, great appearance. That dark orange/brown that declares "I AM A PUMPKIN BEER AND I'M PROUD!"

So I took a sip...and it was informed by my taste buds that this was not a pumpkin beer, but some kind of terrible beer mixed with cleaning fluids. I kept trying to drink it, but it was just terrible. There wasn't a hint of pumpkin. Just bad beer.

I had to pour most of it down the drain. I don't know if this was a bad batch or if this was what Pumple Drumkin is supposed to be, but it was not an experience I'd want anyone to have to repeat.

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- Three fingers of sea foam head on top of a copper amber body. Tons of bubbles streaming throughout the beer. Good lacing.

S- Spicy pumpkin notes with a good allspice finish

T- malt and pumpkin that seems to get blocked out by a heavy metallic ending.

M- A bit thin and on the watered side.

O- It’s drinkable, Really looks good but I would have to admit the flavor profile on this is off. The metallic finish doesn’t do it justice.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
The beer pours a fairly bubbly and vigorous head that is slightly off-white. The beer itself is a clear dark amber.

Smell:
Lightly roasted pumpkin with nutmeg and hints of cinnamon. The spices and pumpkin are surprisingly light for a pumpkin ale.

Taste:
Very little pumpkin flavor with slight cinnamon and nutmeg. The taste feels a little bit diluted with a cardboard taste (OXIDIZATION?). Other than the cardboard taste, decent if not a little acidic.

Mouthfeel:
Watery and fairly thin for a pumpkin ale.

Overall:
An okay pumpkin ale even though it's not as rich or as thick other ales.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.