Summer Of Lager | Cisco Brewers Inc.

good
Read the review
Summer Of LagerSummer Of Lager

Cisco Brewers Inc.
Massachusetts, United States
ciscobrewers.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-05-2001

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had this on a hazy summer day at The Pony Bar on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Don't expect a summer wheat or kolsch because this beer is clearly a helles lager made to represent the German style. The smell was a bit doughy, like yeast meeting malts. The color was a bright orange. The taste reminded me more of a pilsner but better. Malt grain, a touch of citrus and virtually no hops. Overall it was ok, just not my preferred style.

3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Woodychandler comes through again with yet another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of malts and grains. Taste is crisp, malty, a touch of lemon, some light hops, very refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a thirst quenching beer on a hot day.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have to say really liked this offering from Cisco as an alternative to wheat and kolschs that seem to rule the summer beer scene. Poured out of the can into a pilsner glass. The color is a dark golden with a fluffy head. Crisp flavor with slight fruit hints. Easy aroma that's good for day drinking. Good stuff.

4.73/5  rDev +25.5%

Why did I have to come all of the way out to CANorado to find this beer in a CAN? Am I slipping or have people forgotten about The CANQuest (TM)? If that is the case (of beer), then I need to increase people's awareness.

From the CAN: "The Summer of Love was fun, they say but now we're living THE SUMMER OF LAGER! 'Lager' means 'to wait a wicked long time until it's ready.' We brewed it in the fall, aged it all winter, then sampled it in the spring. Then again, and again, until finally we decided to share. Hope you like it."

I got a spritz during the Crack, so it got a few minutes to CANtemplate what was going to happen next before I initiated the Glug. As any simpleton, like me, might have deduced, an inverted aggro Glug was going to be nothing but trouble, so even with a gentle Glug, I was still getting foaming. It all worked out, however, as I ended up with two dense, foamy fingers of bone-white head that resembled to top of a swirly vanilla ice cream cone. Color was a deep sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. SRM = 4/5. Nose smelled like the interior of a malt room at a brewery! Mouthfeel was medium-to full, big for a lager and the taste was biscuit malt and maybe some Noble hops to lend a grassiness to it. Mmmm. This was very dry, especially on the finish and I found myself longing for some pretzels to go with it. Would this go in my cooler? Heck, yes!

3.58/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

OK, I love German Beers and I love summertime. Unfortunately, I'm often very underwhelmed by both American interpretation of German beers, and summer brews in general. I've been to Munich several times and have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed many liters of fantastic helles lager from all of the big Munich breweries. So obviously this beer intrigues me. Now on to the review.

A: Light golden orange color with thick frothy head that lingers for quite a while. Looks nice, but a bit darker than most Helles I've seen.

S: Nice clean aroma. Some faint hops.

T: While this is a tasty summer brew, it misses the mark as a helles. Bready malt upfront with a light hop bite. Good, but not a whole lot going on here. Certainly not much in common with a german helles. Compare this with a Hofbrau or Augustiner and the differences are quite obvious.

S: Light with moderate carbonation

O: I applaud Cisco for attempting to make a style that is not very popular with American brewers. But that said, this is not close to a traditional Helles lager that you would get at a beer hall or beer garden in Munich. Certainly tasty enough to have more than a few on a hot summer day at the beach though.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Summer Of Lager from Cisco Brewers Inc.